Installing observation for Storm of Steel

PC : Conflict of Heroes - a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Installing observation for Storm of Steel

Post by MrsWargamer »

This might be a me specific problem, but, I have had no small amount of trouble with it until I took the decision to segregate the installs of Awakening the Bear and Ghost Divisions from the install of Storm of Steel.

They label Ghost Divisions a 'stand alone' expansion, but, it must be installed AFTER Awakening the Bear, so it is not quite so stand alone inasmuch as installing it is concerned.

They refer to Storm of Steel as a 'stand alone' expansion as well, but, it is able to install prior to any other portions of the series being installed. Which tends to make it less an expansion, and more a fully independent release of the same series.

I found the hard way, that if I install it into the same folder as the other two, you end up getting nothing installed. The Game Menu shows it has taken over that, but, there is nothing to start up from the in game selections. Only Awakening the Bear and Ghost Divisions are present.

Whether the game was never meant to be installed into the same folder or not is an unknown. To be honest, I can't recall what I did that first time I bought it back during it's original release :) I know I had it installed, but what specifically I did, I no longer remember.

At any rate, it installs, it runs, everything is fine. I just had to install it solo. Thought I would mention this if it mattered in any fashion to anyone.

Kudos to the service guys by the way, who promptly got me a fresh download link as my original data file from when I originally bought it on it's release was not functioning for some reason, and they got me a fresh email link within 24 hours.
I CAN be reached
email me at sukunai.ni.yori@hotmail.com
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Installing observation for Storm of Steel

Post by VPaulus »

Technically we could call Storms of Steel as a stand alone expansion. :)
During the installation of Storms of Steel, the install program will search for an installation of Awakening the Bear.
If it finds an installation of AtB, it will install as an expansion. If there's no AtB then it will be installed as a stand alone.

However there's a glitch during the SoS installation as an expansion. After installing it, you need to update AtB with the last patch.
Otherwise the expansion Campaign/scenarios won't be available. This is exactly what you have experienced.
The update is available through the normal update feature or manually:
ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/Conflicto ... e-v138.zip

We apologize for all the inconveniences.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

just seen you're last bit on your post Mrs Wargamer and it made me giggle, same user as Matrix btw just with a ext on the end of my name here :)
I suppose you might say, I'm a hardcore casual gamer.
I think a wargame is played on a table.
I think Battle Academy and Panzer Corps have done more to save computer wargaming than Combat Mission and War in the East.
1st same
2nd same,

3rd also same, have you tried combat mission btw? as i have WITE so i know that's too hard core for me, but combat mission has always been a no no for me, for many reasons, i never liked the way they start with one version bring out something else then make you pay for what here is free, just wondered if you had played it and maybe have the market garden addon?

so much for combat mission 2, then add market garden more money, then weapons and unit addons, more money then upgrade 3.0 etc and yes you have guessed it, more money to even have the latest patch, it's not the money as i'm neither tight or short of it, it's the principle to me, but do own every market garden game out there except this one and wondered if it was worth it?

no worries if you don't know, ty :wink:

CM Battle for Normandy
CM Normandy - v2.0 UPGRADE
CM Battle for Normandy Vehicle Pack
CM Market Garden
CM Battle for Normandy - Commonwealth Forces
CM Normandy - v3.0 UPGRADE

so quite expensive and to me upgrades should be free, not money making
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

I tried to like Combat Mission, but the camera controls just bug me. I sometimes thing some guys are just too into 3d for their own good :)

I have not tried the new engine though, and won't be, as their form of elicence is a game killer for me.

Tried the Touch release. I was a bit annoyed when it became somewhat apparent they were just goofing off when they did it. Never planned to take the program seriously I guess.

I don't resent a company from taking a good game and turning it into a means of making money. The people that don't like DLC are clearly just cheap :)

The only thing I have ever really admired about CM was the WEGO. I was a bit annoyed when it was made plain that with CM2 they considered the WEGO as a secondary feature and considered real time as the more preferred. If CM had been real time in the beginning, it would also have never crawled out of the 90s.
I CAN be reached
email me at sukunai.ni.yori@hotmail.com
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

thanks for the reply, appreciated

Return to “Conflict of Heroes”