Can you help me with the scenario editor

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

nono hard et heavy
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Can you help me with the scenario editor

Post by nono hard et heavy »

Hello everyone.
I have a problem understanding the scenario editor. I want to modify an existing scenario. I have several German units with a blue flag (auxiliary) and I want to change them to a red flag (main body).
So I change these units, I save but when I run the scenario, they do not appear.
I solved part of the problem by modifying the Equipment file: I changed the flag number (my example: flag 21 to flag 0). It works but do I have to do it for all units? Isn't there an easier way without modifying the Equipment file?
By modifying the Equipment file, I know that there is also a risk of duplication of units.
Thank you for your help.
Bruno
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Re: Can you help me with the scenario editor

Post by terminator »

red flag -> auxiliary or core ?
glaude1955
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by glaude1955 »

Hello Bruno,
If you tell us exactly what you want to achieve, it would be easier to explain.
0 = Germany
21 = Blue Team
Regards
Yves
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Changing an auxiliary unit to core unit can make it disappear if this unit is on a deployment hexagon if I remember well (?)
nono hard et heavy

terminator wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:56 pm red flag -> auxiliary or core ?
Hello Mr Terminator. Red flag = core / Blue flag = auxiliary in my scenario and Equipment file.
nono hard et heavy

glaude1955 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:05 pm Hello Bruno,
If you tell us exactly what you want to achieve, it would be easier to explain.
0 = Germany
21 = Blue Team
Regards
Yves
Hello my friend. In your personal E-mail. Bye.
nono hard et heavy

terminator wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:10 pm Changing an auxiliary unit to core unit can make it disappear if this unit is on a deployment hexagon if I remember well (?)
You are right. Do you have another solution ? Greetings.
nono hard et heavy

terminator wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:10 pm Changing an auxiliary unit to core unit can make it disappear if this unit is on a deployment hexagon if I remember well (?)
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

nono hard et heavy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:29 pm
I can’t help you any more, you can play on three factors:
- auxiliary or core units
- remove or move deployment hexagons
- move core units that are placed on deployment hexagons
cw58

Post by cw58 »

In regards to auxiliary units that have been switched to core units:

In the editor, try selecting the unit, use "Edit Trigger", then "Add time condition" and input values "1 and 1". The unit will not show up during deployment stage but will be there on Turn 1.
Maths
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Maths »

Hi all, I have a question about the AI scripting
When editing the units you may choose between several behaviour in battle of that particular unit. This choice ranges from "attack" to "defend", "defend active"... and the default option being "default" behaviour
Can someone explain me how to correctly figure out this aspect of the scenario editor ?
Thanks
nono hard et heavy

cw58 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 am
In regards to auxiliary units that have been switched to core units:

In the editor, try selecting the unit, use "Edit Trigger", then "Add time condition" and input values "1 and 1". The unit will not show up during deployment stage but will be there on Turn 1.
Mr CW 58, thanks. I'm going to try this solution. Greetings. Bruno
maguro
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by maguro »

Maths wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:59 am Hi all, I have a question about the AI scripting
When editing the units you may choose between several behaviour in battle of that particular unit. This choice ranges from "attack" to "defend", "defend active"... and the default option being "default" behaviour
Can someone explain me how to correctly figure out this aspect of the scenario editor ?
Thanks
Hi Maths,

I remember a thread talking about this very topic a while back but usual I can't seem to track it down. I'll try to explain what I remember reading as it pertains to your question...

From my experiences, the "default" behavior will make the AI side naturally attack or defend based on whatever the AI side is set to in "Scenario Parameters" (on the "Sides" tab) the AI will take on that behavior if left on "default".

As for the 3 "defend" functions, they are pretty self-explanatory but "defend active" seems to make the unit do something like a mobile defense.

If you are scripting a unit to attack a zone, it seems best to use "move to" or "patrol" and select the zone you wish the unit to attack. They will still fire when appropriate even though they are not set to "attack". When the unit is on "attack" behavior they seem to ignore zones and attack as they see fit.

Hope that helps!
Maths
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Maths »

@Maguro
Thank you very much ! I thought that the several behaviours make the units doing slightly different but apparently as you said above only "defend active", "move to" and default are useful. The "defend passive" is (I imagine) leads the unit to wait in place till elimination and only return fire. However what difference do you make between "patrol" and "move to" and between "defend" and "defend active" ?
Anyway your answer helped
Thanks
maguro

Post by maguro »

Maths wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:22 am @Maguro
Thank you very much ! I thought that the several behaviours make the units doing slightly different but apparently as you said above only "defend active", "move to" and default are useful. The "defend passive" is (I imagine) leads the unit to wait in place till elimination and only return fire. However what difference do you make between "patrol" and "move to" and between "defend" and "defend active" ?
Anyway your answer helped
Thanks
No problem,

Yes, a unit set to "defend passive" will wait and only fire if fired upon. I find this sometimes is useful for scripting units like bridging eng or other units of the AI side that I want to sit tight and save strength, at least temporarily. You can always add a AI action in the "scripts" tab of "scenario parameters" to change a unit defending to another behavior.

Honestly, I haven't noticed too much of a difference between "patrol" and "move to" behaviors, but that is probably because I only ever really use "patrol" to send AI attacking an area. I have always assumed that with "patrol", once the unit gets to that zone, it will continue to be "active", whereas "move to" behavior might result in the unit sitting there and doing nothing once it has reached the zone it was scripted to go to. However, that is only a guess since I really almost never use "move to". I guess you just have to try it. If you notice a difference, I would be interested to know. As for "defend" and "defend active", "active" is the only one of the three "defend" behaviors which allow for the AI unit to move around. "def passive" and "def fire" keep the AI in the same hex. I sometimes assign AI artillery "defend fire" if there is a certain spot I want them to hit continuously until that spot is no longer relevant.

I didn't mention "disembark" earlier. That has always worked alright for me when using it with paratroopers/units in landing craft. However, I struggle to get them to land on the exact turn I want, so if you are looking for precision timing with scripting, "disembark" can be tricky - at least for me! I'd love to hear any tricks for using it if anyone knows of any...
Maths
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Maths »

@Maguro
Thank you for your quick answer ! I'll try to make decent AI scripts asap and keep you aware. My plan is to make the AI follow a flexible strategy while keeping in mind an historical course
I'll keep you updated ; -)
maguro

Post by maguro »

Are you planning to use the AI in the attacker or defender role? I have found that the AI are easier to script in the defender role but I've noticed there are a couple ways to keep attacking AI from doing stupid things. Scripting attackers and play testing does take some time though.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

Patrol and random patrol are both useful in their won right in larger maps to cover a reasonably large area with a couple of cavalry, scout cars or light tanks (or light AT guns with no transport), which is useful on a tempting route for a flank attack, where you either slow down and scout or risk a few nasty ambushes. Combined with a few well placed "Hold Attack" units or Hold Fire artillery for counter attacks, this can be quite nasty. The randomness of patrols also adds a bit of variability for replay value.

It can also be used as a variant of Move to.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”