An idea for support aircraft

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

maguro
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

An idea for support aircraft

Post by maguro »

I would like to your opinions on this idea. I was thinking it would by a nice addition to give tactical aircraft the ability to support ground units in defensive situations. In other words, have them act similar to artillery when the enemy attacks adjacent units. This would mimic aircraft loitering over an area waiting to respond to an enemy attack. I’m not sure how often this happened during this period, but I simply like the concept of giving some aircraft a switch ability to act in a supporting role.
I’ve tried this out and basically the idea works. The aircraft, when switched to “support” (or whatever you want to call it) has the ability to support ground units adjacent to it, at the cost of lower air defense stats in the event that the unit is attacked itself. The image below shows a switched 190F firing at the neighboring Inf unit in this role.
Fw_test_3.png
Fw_test_3.png (582.59 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
For the test, I used a Fw-190F, for no particular reason. The unit in “support” version is using the unit type artillery with the air movement type in the equipment file. This doesn’t make for a perfect result; When the aircraft is displayed as small (ground-mode) the aircraft effects don’t play when it is firing (When large (air-mode), it works just fine). Also, the airplane can defend neighboring ground units, but it can’t defend ground units directly underneath it. I think this is because game dynamics don’t allow support units to support fire into their own hex, but I could be wrong about that.
Again, the basic concept works but if anyone has an idea to make it better, all suggestions are welcome. Here are the equipment lines for the unit I’m testing if anyone else wants to give it a try. When you add these, just change the unit ID# and switch # to fit your equipment file. Of course, at that point you can change any other stats you see fit. Also,don't forget to add efx for the icons. Hope you find it enjoyable.
Aux_Equipment.zip
(608 Bytes) Downloaded 94 times
maguro

Re: An idea for support aircraft

Post by maguro »

Here are the icons I am using as well. I gave the "support version" the same basic icon with some kind of communication bars. Why?? I couldn't think of anything better :? . Again, ideas are always welcome.
Ger_FW190F_CS.png
Ger_FW190F_CS.png (29.08 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
Ger_FW190F.png
Ger_FW190F.png (30.18 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
maguro

Post by maguro »

Too give a little more sescription, this image shows the 190 working in it's different roles; the same unit in regular & support mode, as well as the small icon.
Fw_test_1.png
Fw_test_1.png (623.19 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
jeffoot77
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by jeffoot77 »

it is a good idea, i like it . but I prefer a colored zone around the plane than a wifi icon !
my custom mini-campaign in order of battle :
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302

Panzer corps mods archive : http://jeffoot.freeboxos.fr:41226/share/KmCyju7JFZX6dD2B/
maguro

Post by maguro »

I agree. The wifi icon is out of place. My idea was that it represents communication with ground units but the icon itself hasn't been the main focus until now. I'm entirely I can do a nice looking colorized zone but I'll give it a try.
Konigstiger88
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Konigstiger88 »

This is an interesting idea, i believe i read that american p-47's with anti-tank rockets would fly low over allied ground forces to provide support if they were ambushed by heavy german armor.
maguro

Post by maguro »

Great example. I could see P-47s and Typhoons circling around waiting for an attack order.
maguro

Post by maguro »

Here is another concept - the "shield". Obviously, this indicates the air unit is defending an area/adjacent unit. I'm having a tough time finding an image that blends well and still thinking about how best to do the "colorized zone" concept.
US_P47D.png
US_P47D.png (27.55 KiB) Viewed 2759 times
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Just as an idea, maybe you could use some sort of eagle wings?

https://www.google.com/search?q=eagle+w ... 77&bih=680
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

That's a very interesting idea. Well done.
maguro

Post by maguro »

I'm glad you like the idea. Later, I'll try out some eagle wings post whatever I come up with.
JaM2013
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by JaM2013 »

yeah, except both Typhoon and Thunderbolt were completely ineffective against any armor... Typhoon had 2-3% chance to hit a tank sized target with its rocket salvo, and Thunderbolt had 0% chance to deal any damage with its 50cal machineguns to top armor of any tank.. Overall, role of tactical air in this game is hugely overestimated.. World War 2 statistics shows that Tactical Air destroyed 3-5% of tanks during WW2.... and for example Russians lost 10 sturmoviks for every single German armored vehicle they destroyed... (halftracks included)

If anything, Tactical Air (Tac Bombers) would be better if they dealt suppression to ground units,same way strategic bomber do...
maguro

Post by maguro »

You won't get any argument from me on the efficacy of tactical air support. I too have seen the 2-3% kill rate stat. This "support aircraft" idea is something you can choose to implement or not. Like all mods in PzC, the beauty is that the choice to use it is yours. Implement what suits your preference and leave what doesn't. As for me, on other threads I've stated I'm not too concerned with realism or accuracy. I'm just trying to add elements that make the game more compelling to play.
JaM2013 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:48 am If anything, Tactical Air (Tac Bombers) would be better if they dealt suppression to ground units,same way strategic bomber do...
Sorry if I'm restating what you already know, but you can go in the equipment file, change the unit class of a tac bomber to the unit class for strategic bomber and presto. Tac bombers will then function as strat bombers. In fact, you can edit whatever stat you want. However, for the concept this thread is concerned with, having the air unit function as artillery unit class (with air movement type) is the only way I know of to make the unit provide defensive support fire for adjacent units. Have to work with what the game gives me.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”