question about rationalising AA units

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

hugh2711
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

question about rationalising AA units

Post by hugh2711 »

Just done poltava. I want to rationalise my AA units as I now have far too many. I have a very strong heroed airforce so I dont need many. I already have
88mm, .....R+1 and M+1 405/1258/5.......(exp/kills/losses)
88mm, .....M+1..........251/207/4
Sd.kfz7/1..R+1..........399/407/0

Poltava gives 2x 88mm 13 strength, 1x 12.8cm 14 strength, 1x wirbelwind strength 14, 1x mobilwagon

Question: would you bother to keep any of the 5 poltava units and why?
[NB I keep the sdkfz7/1 because its rate of fire is much better than the upgrade]
Last edited by hugh2711 on Wed May 09, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: question about rationalising AA units

Post by captainjack »

If you want to expand your AA numbers, the 128 would be a good addition because it's notably more destructive than the 88 against air. The mobelwagen GD gives it decent survivability for forward air defence. In an emergency it can make a useful blocking unit if backed by decent artillery. As to your 7/1, all of the quad AA units have 120% ROF, so you should be OK upgrading to that for the better armour. As a bonus the tracked move is usually better in poor weather than a half track.

For the 88s, a lot will depend on whether you prefer more destructive AA or versatility. The 128 is noticably more damaging to aircraft, but doesn't switch to AT. At least if you upgrade to 128 and then change your mind later the "upgrade" back to 88 is free. Unless very low on prestige you could swap between versions according to what the scenario demands.

One final point is that AA takes a long time to earn experience and experience makes a big difference, so it might be worth keeping at least one or two of the gifts in reserve in case you lose one of the current team.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”