How much do you need?

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

hugh2711
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

How much do you need?

Post by hugh2711 »

Quick question:
Without going silly, without overstrengthening everything to max. In just your normal style of play at Field Marshall level, nothing higher and dice chess: 'How much prestige do you need for East GC43, GC44, GC45' . Rough estimates please.

E.G
"GC43 - prestige neutral, GC44 - 10k, GC45 - 20k"

Thanks for info.
Yrfin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: How much do you need?

Post by Yrfin »

Do you play PzC for Prestige ?
rofl.
When im died - I must be a killed.
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

good one.
The reason I asked is; I just did an replay AAR thread for ordinary players (at field marshall level nothing higher), not experts and I think that the question normally comes up once it turns tough at GC42. Perhaps this is the wrong forum to ask ? as possibly most people on this forum are very experienced/good?.
AnalogGamer
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by AnalogGamer »

I do not understand the question.

What do you mean by "How much Prestige"? You get what you get and deal with it. If you are talking about injections of extra prestige, then that player is not ready for the level at which the game is currently being played. Step it down a notch until ready.

If you mean how much should a player have by the time they get there, then the answer is every bit they can save. Variations in skill and battle outcomes across a campaign will result in wildly different prestige accounts for different players.

And yes sir, this may have been better asked in the general forum, rather than the design forum. But that's OK. :) No harm, no foul.
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

hugh2711 wrote:Quick question:
Without going silly, without overstrengthening everything to max. In just your normal style of play at Field Marshall level, nothing higher and dice chess: 'How much prestige do you need for East GC43, GC44, GC45' . Rough estimates please.
Short answer starting prestige: 43E -> 40k; 44E -> 30k ; 45E -> 20k

These are minimum numbers.
If you are not on Rommel and don't have 40k at start of 43E your prestige management is too poor to make it through 45E.

From Goose FM : 43E -> 75k; 44E -> 61.4k ; 45E -> 43.9k ; Berlin Redux -> 28k

My 'Rommel' [no softcap] : 43E -> 46k; 44E -> 37k ; 45E -> 29k ; Sealow -> 13k
note Nico's upgrade allows withdraw of Aux units for prestige selling [~10k in 44E].
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
loganfive
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by loganfive »

dalfrede wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:45 pm
hugh2711 wrote:Quick question:
Short answer starting prestige: 43E -> 40k; 44E -> 30k ; 45E -> 20k

These are minimum numbers.
If you are not on Rommel and don't have 40k at start of 43E your prestige management is too poor to make it through 45E.

From Goose FM : 43E -> 75k; 44E -> 61.4k ; 45E -> 43.9k ; Berlin Redux -> 28k

My 'Rommel' [no softcap] : 43E -> 46k; 44E -> 37k ; 45E -> 29k ; Sealow -> 13k
note Nico's upgrade allows withdraw of Aux units for prestige selling [~10k in 44E].
At levels up to and including Field Marshall, where the goal is to win a DV on every scenario, I would say:

Without the softcap prestige is almost irrelevant. You just load up on the most expensive units and overstrength them to the max. You should should be able to blast your way to a DV on almost every scenario with a healthy net gain in prestige and very little damage to your core.

With the softcap I would say you need about 30000 to start 1945, which means you need about 15000 to start 1944 and maybe 10000 to start 1943.

But then again anyone who can win DVs on every scenario in GC 1943-1945 with that amount of prestige probably has a lot more prestige than that to start 1943.
jeffoot77
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by jeffoot77 »

you should unlock Rommel difficulty : prestige 50% because even in fieldmarshal, the game is too easy .

to unlock it, u have to win vanilla basic campaign in fieldmarshal difficulty and with MV on last USA scenario.

or edit the regedit .exe :

run regedit navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/slitherine/panzer corps and modify the ShowBonusLevels entry to 1
my custom mini-campaign in order of battle :
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302

Panzer corps mods archive : http://jeffoot.freeboxos.fr:41226/share/KmCyju7JFZX6dD2B/
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

The issue hugh2711 brings up is: How does one judge one's 'prestige management' skills with no mileposts to judge your progress.
Open General has an auto-generated AAR that allows players to post such data easily, without having to write it up manually.
loganfive wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:05 pm At levels up to and including Field Marshall, where the goal is to win a DV on every scenario, I would say:

Without the softcap prestige is almost irrelevant. You just load up on the most expensive units and overstrength them to the max. You should should be able to blast your way to a DV on almost every scenario with a healthy net gain in prestige and very little damage to your core.
1) The goal is to win a DV on every scenario, period! It's just harder at the higher levels.
Look at goose's Double Rommel Progressive Manstein, he is trying and mostly getting DVs,
. . . so far.

2) Prestige management is important, and not understood by many players.
Softcap was added because the better players were finding it too easy.
The problem with softcap is that it is nearly invisible to the player, making prestige management more difficult.
I think it should be a option, like chess so each player can customize the game the way they like.
The computer savvy have options causal users don't. [editing xxx.pxdat files.]

The thing with PzC is that when it gets too easy, you can up the difficulty!
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
loganfive

Post by loganfive »

jeffoot77 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:54 am you should unlock Rommel difficulty : prestige 50% because even in fieldmarshal, the game is too easy .

to unlock it, u have to win vanilla basic campaign in fieldmarshal difficulty and with MV on last USA scenario.

or edit the regedit .exe :

run regedit navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/slitherine/panzer corps and modify the ShowBonusLevels entry to 1
I haven't tried Rommel yet, but it should be somewhat easier than Field Marshall.

At Field Marshall you're only getting 50% experience per combat, which means that it takes a long time to get your core units up to the four-star or five-star status that they're going to need later in the campaign. So you really have to be aggressive in terms of purchasing all the units you are going to need early, throwing them into the action and using elite replacements.

50% prestige is less of a handicap by comparison, at least for the Grand Campaign, if only because the AI awards more than double the prestige that a skilled player really needs. And on Rommel, because you are still getting 100% experience, you can use a lot of regular replacements for 1939-40 and still have all your core units up to 325 experience points going into 1941. Also, the 1939 and 1940 campaigns are mostly infantry/artillery battles where you don't need to purchase or deploy a lot of expensive tank and air units.
Last edited by loganfive on Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

You can manually set lower prestige (and experience) settings to any level with the slider in the difficulty screen either when starting the campaign or through the difficulty button after each scenario, so you don't have to unlock Rommel etc. As it will then be a custom you won't get achievements but in other respects it's the same.
Personally I can cope with 40 or 50% prestige in game as long as I have about 70%+ in the starting scenario) and 70% experience but at lower settings (or with enemy overstrength) I have to think too hard to properly enjoy it.
loganfive

Post by loganfive »

I think there should be a Rommel + Field Marshall level (50% prestige, 50% experience).

That would more or less meet my criteria for "challenging but still enjoyable". I might do that as a custom difficulty on my next attempt at the Grand Campaign. Maybe add -1 turns but that's about it.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”