Battlefield: Europe MOD v2.4

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.9

Post by McGuba »

GeneralWerner wrote:Hello McGuba,
what about changing Tunis to a port city? If the battle of Tunisia goes wrong it could be nice to have a chance to evacuate some troops from Tunis.
It is intentional. Historically the Allies managed to blockade Tunis from March 1943 so that the Germans could hardly get in our out anyone. They could only evacuate like 25,000 men, mostly by air, but left the bulk of the Axis forces there and in the end the Allies took some 250,000 POWs.

http://ww2pro.com/operation-retribution/

In single player game the AI would be unable to organize and maintain such a blockade very effectively, especially in bad weather. (To script it properly I would need more AI zones, which I do not have.) So I just made Tunis a normal city creating a death trap for the Axis forces who has to either win or lose everything. The only other alternative is to evacuate the Afrika Korps earlier, from Tripoli and Benghazi.
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969
GeneralWerner
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by GeneralWerner »

Understood

I will count my POWs
Andrea69
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Andrea69 »

Hello McGuba

I tried to load your Barbarossa scenario in the scenario editor but it keeps crashing, it seems to load just about 1/4 of the map and then freezes. Any clue please?
hugh2711
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by hugh2711 »

Does taking london automatically stop any invasion of norway/trondheim? or do you have to keep units there right to the end/taking ALL of uk. e.g. if you have all of the uk but not scotland
Yrfin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Yrfin »

Im still thinking about start of Main Campaign for BF v2.0.
From my historical knowledge of history of WWII, so "hypothetically' BF can be started (and may be MUST be a started) long BEFORE 22.06.41.
- South Africa (Rommel) : early 1941.
- "Unternehmen Seelöwe" can be started at Late 1940/ Early 1941.
- Alliance with Spain (unhistorical but planned) can be started at late 1940.

Any suggestion ?
Last edited by Yrfin on Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When im died - I must be a killed.
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Andrea69 wrote:Hello McGuba

I tried to load your Barbarossa scenario in the scenario editor but it keeps crashing, it seems to load just about 1/4 of the map and then freezes. Any clue please?
I do not really understand. If you installed the mod correctly it should work both in the game and in the editor. You need to have PzC 1.30 to use this mod. A possible explanation might be that you are using an earlier version of the game which does not contain a certain unit icon that was added to it later and since some later icons are being used by the mod the game cannot find them and crashes. Or it might be a memory problem. Basically it can be anything.
hugh2711 wrote:Does taking london automatically stop any invasion of norway/trondheim? or do you have to keep units there right to the end/taking ALL of uk. e.g. if you have all of the uk but not scotland
It is enough to capture any victory objective city hex in Britain, which includes any of London, Glasgow, Liverpool or Plymouth. However, if the British (or their partisans) can recapture all of these victory objectives and the Tirpitz is not in Trondheim then the invasion can happen. It is pretty much the same as with the D-day landings. As long as their country is not theirs they do not think about invasions.
Yrfin wrote:Im still thining about start Main Campain for BF v2.0.
From my historical knowlege BF can be starated BEFORE 22.06.41.
- South Africa (Rommel) : early 1941.
- "Unternehmen Seelöwe" can be started at Late 1940/ Early 1941.
- Alliance with Spain (unhistorical but planned) can be started at late 1940.

Any suggestion ?
Yes, sure, these are all valid options, but all these would require a complete rework of the main scenario. Which has been developed for nearly four years now and which has become immensly complex. There are many scripts and units which are governed by the turn number which is relative to turn 1, which is currently 22/06/1941. Any date change would ruin these and would require a very heavy rework and testing. That's why I rather focus on the multiplayer scenario instead.
ImageImage
Yrfin

Post by Yrfin »

McGuba wrote:
Yes, sure, these are all valid options, but all these would require a complete rework of the main scenario. Which has been developed for nearly four years now and which has become immensly complex. There are many scripts and units which are governed by the turn number which is relative to turn 1, which is currently 22/06/1941. Any date change would ruin these and would require a very heavy rework and testing. That's why I rather focus on the multiplayer scenario instead.
And what ? Of coz MP tuning BF 1.9 are looking good for Intenso and you :).
So BF v2.0 is looking dead ? RiP :(
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

:D
Multiplayer is not only for "me and Intenso", just as I did not make the single player campaign only to myself. Anyone who got tired of defeating the AI n+1 times in single player will be able to test his skills against a human opponent - which is a completely different experience. I would like to believe that if I manage to balance it it will provide endless fun for lots of players for the years to come. And why not convert an existing and (nearly) complete single player scenario to extend its lifespan? Which is still much easier than reworking the whole lot from the beginning in order to be able to start the scenario at an earlier date.

And no, BE v2.0 is not dead, some of the new features that I add to the muliplayer scenario, e.g. shallow waters or new units and stuff liket that, will find their way to the single player one as well. It is just the thing that without more AI zones I cannot really add more meaningful content to it. And by the way, extending the length of the scenario would also require more AI zones, as more months and years mean more events. Which cannot be added without more AI zones. :(
ImageImage
Andrea69
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Andrea69 »

McGuba wrote:
Andrea69 wrote:Hello McGuba

I do not really understand. If you installed the mod correctly it should work both in the game and in the editor. You need to have PzC 1.30 to use this mod. A possible explanation might be that you are using an earlier version of the game which does not contain a certain unit icon that was added to it later and since some later icons are being used by the mod the game cannot find them and crashes. Or it might be a memory problem. Basically it can be anything.

Well, since I run the latest version of PC and the scenario works pretty well within the game, I'd rather say that it is a memory problem related to the editor :(
Intenso82
Most Successful Mod 2017
Most Successful Mod 2017

Post by Intenso82 »

I think during the multiplayer game there are quite a lot of new ideas appeared for mods and current ideas have been upgraded.
[MOD] RUSSIA AT WAR:1941 - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=75743
Uhu
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Uhu »

Yrfin,

do you actually play with the given current versions? Because every time a new version came out, about two days later you already ask when the next version will be published, and if the mod's future is "dead". I think, nobody played more with this game and more intense as me, but I always still try to beat the game in the main campaign and sometimes in the saves, when you do these questions.
Yrfin wrote:
McGuba wrote:
And what ? Of coz MP tuning BF 1.9 are looking good for Intenso and you :).
So BF v2.0 is looking dead ? RiP :(
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Haha, yes. I think Uhu plays more than anyone!

So far i play to mid '42. I like all the free units that get given (Hungarian, Italian, Romanian expeditionary, etc.). Its also challenging struggling with the technology gap in early '42 - how to stop the T34's with your fairly weak armour? As always, the answer is the Luftwaffe :wink: But what about in bad weather :shock:

Personally i find it hard to stay focused on key objectives. For example i decided to ignore Crimea until later. But then a Russian tank came out from there and attacked me. I attacked it back and forced it to retreat back into the Crimea. Before i know it, i've committed 2 artillery, 4 infantry and a tank and am sieging Sevastopol!

As always, i'm really enjoying the game. Well done McGuba!
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Disrupting heavy tanks with arty (and level bomber, if there are present) is the best way to deal with them. In that way, you do not need so many units to completely destroy them, while taking casualties. And the great reward is the big amount of prestige, what you get to capturing it!

Sevastopol is always a hard one. Not just because of the fort and fortified, defended heavy arty - now with range 4! - but even more of the Soviet navy, which takes your siege units apart! I found the following solution, as the best:
- You hurry, so about at the start of the winter of 41/42, you are at the gates of the Crimea. You have about three arty. You have already softened the defense level of the arty and the AA at turn 11, when the weather got better for a turn.
- You have several inf units, and not only Romanians.
- You slip your units in west of Kerch out of the site of anything, including the fort's 2 range sight.
- Start the siege with eliminating the inf unit north of the AA, than the AA, than the heavy arty and everything else. Time is on the essence because you should do the most of this before the good weather. When good weather starts send your arty fast out of the sight, other way they will be strongly harassed by the Soviet navy. If you eliminated everything, but the fort you just need 3 Romanian inf to finish it.
- When you see, that good weather will start, send all your available air power in the south to A., lower the defense level of the arty and AA B., bomber to weaken and eventually destroy the Soviet capital ships. You can recon the place of them with the Romanian S-Boat. They park, if they do not have other duties, next to Sevastopol.
- Alternative help can be the sacrifice of the Romanian navy, if you do not have plans for Poti invasion operations. Than you sacrifice your fleet, and while the Soviet navy is destroying them, your land units can save siege the town.
JimmyC wrote:Haha, yes. I think Uhu plays more than anyone!

So far i play to mid '42. I like the all the free units that get given (Hungarian, Italian, Romanian expeditionary, etc.). Its also challenging struggling with the technology gap in early '42 - how to stop the T34's with your fairly weak armour? As always, the answer is the Luftwaffe :wink: But what about in bad weather :shock:

Personally i find it hard to stay focused on key objectives. For example i decided to ignore Crimea until later. But then a Russian tank came out from there and attacked me. I attacked it back and forced it to retreat back into the Crimea. Before i know it, i've committed 2 artillery, 4 infantry and a tank and am sieging Sevastopol!

As always, i'm really enjoying the game. Well done McGuba!
P210
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by P210 »

Hello McGuba,

Congratulations, excellent work with the v1.9. It, again, feels like a new game.

Just completed a test game. Whole campaign on default General level. Wanted to see how air war in West works so did not go for England. Result, everything except the last ME oil well (just couple more turns away) and England under Axis control.

I was little worried about the movement changes, but did not find anything strange happening. New movement parameters feel natural and better than original. Probably took lot of time and testing to get it right.

Did appreciate those subtle changes to Equipment file. There is even a niche for (low Exp) FW190 A8 in late '44. NA camo is great addition.

Scripts worked as they should. I did miss Hungarian air force early on the game, but fortunately it did appear later. Which is probably historically correct as the number of Hungarian aircraft operating in Eastern front was relatively low in beginning of Barbarossa (as far as I have been able to figure out).

Even though the Mod already feels complete the proposed changes to naval war might turn it "up to eleven". Really looking forward to it.

I have only one proposal. Would it be historically correct to have one Estonian Infantry unit appearing in late '43? I am not sure if the numbers warrant it, but Estonian troops did play a role in the war.

Thank you for the greatest Mod!
Yrfin

Post by Yrfin »

P210 wrote: I have only one proposal. Would it be historically correct to have one Estonian Infantry unit appearing in late '43? I am not sure if the numbers warrant it, but Estonian troops did play a role in the war.
McGube dont use SS Troops in his BF World.
But still call BF Mod: "historical"...
So SS.Pz.Divs "Das Reich"and "Totencopf" and "LAH" just not exist in BF World (Just a question.. Who was in 4-th Pz.Army in South Group Armee in July 43 on EastFront (Kursk) ?).
And 6-th Pz.SS Armie (Ardennes Counterattack) doesnt exist in BF World...
And 800.000 Waffen SS troops just doesnt exist in BF World...
But McGuba call BF Mod "historical" and worried about 200 (!) chassies of Pz IID (1 Unit from 200+)...
LOL.

Also looking strange things about not SS (but Elite) Unit "Gross Deutchland" ? And LeHR Troops (Elite)?
Its absent in "historical" BF World Mod . Why ?
P210 wrote: I was little worried about the movement changes, but did not find anything strange happening. New movement parameters feel natural and better than original. Probably took lot of time and testing to get it right.
Yeah McGube make a right choice about movement changes ...
Movements System are very importance in PzC mechanics/Rules.
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

JimmyC wrote: Its also challenging struggling with the technology gap in early '42 - how to stop the T34's with your fairly weak armour? As always, the answer is the Luftwaffe But what about in bad weather
Sure, and it was indeed a real problem which forced the Wehrmacht to develop new tanks and tank hunters to counter this unexpected threat. And I think they did adapt quite fast. And another option in the mod might be some well placed towed AT guns which now have the camo trait making them useful not only in bad weather, but also in good.
P210 wrote:Congratulations, excellent work with the v1.9. It, again, feels like a new game.

Just completed a test game. Whole campaign on default General level. Wanted to see how air war in West works so did not go for England. Result, everything except the last ME oil well (just couple more turns away) and England under Axis control.
Thanks, and congrats to you as well for this achievement. :)
I was little worried about the movement changes, but did not find anything strange happening. New movement parameters feel natural and better than original. Probably took lot of time and testing to get it right.
Yes, I am also pleased with the new movement rules and it did not require too much testing, just some extra thinking.
I did miss Hungarian air force early on the game, but fortunately it did appear later. Which is probably historically correct as the number of Hungarian aircraft operating in Eastern front was relatively low in beginning of Barbarossa (as far as I have been able to figure out).
Yes, the Hungarians only commited 1-2 fighter and bomber squadrons in rotation to the eastern front between 1941-43, and kept the bulk of their planes at home for a possible clash with the Romanians. In this mod an air unit represents a German Geschwader (or a US Wing or a British Group) with 9 or more squadrons and 100-150 aircraft. So I decided to remove the early Hungarian air units, and replace them with some German ones to keep the balance. For example that's why the JG 77 is on the map in turn 1 now.
I have only one proposal. Would it be historically correct to have one Estonian Infantry unit appearing in late '43? I am not sure if the numbers warrant it, but Estonian troops did play a role in the war.
Yes, I was thinking to add this or maybe some Litvanian forces, too, but the problem is it would require an additional AI zone added to the Estonian capital Tallin, so that the Estonian unit only appears if it is owned by the Axis. For example, what if a player decides not to advance into Russia at all, and does not capture Estonia? How should the game know if this unit can appear or not? Would not it be strange to have a new Estonian unit appear in the middle of the Soviet controlled area? Needless to say, I have no more free AI zones to make it happen. :( However, I could at least add the Latvian Legion as for this I could use another AI zone which has a different primary function.
Yrfin wrote:
P210 wrote: I have only one proposal. Would it be historically correct to have one Estonian Infantry unit appearing in late '43? I am not sure if the numbers warrant it, but Estonian troops did play a role in the war.
McGube dont use SS Troops in his BF World.
But still call BF Mod: "historical"...
So SS.Pz.Divs "Das Reich"and "Totencopf" and "LAH" just not exist in BF World (Just a question.. Who was in 4-th Pz.Army in South Group Armee in July 43 on EastFront (Kursk) ?).
And 6-th Pz.SS Armie (Ardennes Counterattack) doesnt exist in BF World...
And 800.000 Waffen SS troops just doesnt exist in BF World...
But McGuba call BF Mod "historical" and worried about 200 (!) chassies of Pz IID (1 Unit from 200+)...
LOL.
Thanks for your positive feedback. :) As described in the readme, the ground units in this mod does not represent actual divisions (apart from a few examples, like the understrength Spanish formation or the also understrength Brandenburgers). Infantry units normally represent an army corps with 2-4 infantry divisions and tank units represent approximately 200 tanks of the same type, and not a specific armoured division. Historically there were usually 4-5 different tank types and many other weapons in an armoured division but in PzC we can only see a unit named "Pz.III" or a "Pz.IV". Moreover, as the war progressed the number of tanks in german panzer divisions constantly decreased and by the last year it was not uncommon for a panzer division to have only 30-50 panzers. Which would require to have lots of understrength tank units or "divisions" from 1943/44 with very limited value under the current game mechanics.

The other and more important reason for the omission of SS units is that the basic assumption of this mod is that in June 1941 the Führer and his closest followers are removed from power and that's how the player can take full control of the armed forces. And since I would like to believe that the large majority of the players do not symphatise with Nazi ideology, I assume that the extension of the Waffen SS does not happen after that and the few existing SS divisions are merged into the Heer.

So, for the above reasons there is no point in looking for a unit named like "Hitlerjugend Division" in this mod.
Also looking strange things about not SS (but Elite) Unit "Gross Deutchland" ? And LeHR Troops (Elite)?
Its absent in "historical" BF World Mod . Why ?
There were many other special formations in the Wehrmacht and in the other Axis and Allied armies, not only these. Adding each and every one of them would most likely increase the number of Axis units on the map well over one thousand. This would require a much larger map and would make the whole scenario a lot slower and more complex. I think if someone, it must be you who would also agree that this is not the way:
Yrfin wrote:With all respect....
PzC engine not for play about manage with 1000+ units ...
Instead, only the most important and influential ones are present like the Spanish "Blue Division" or the Brandenburgers or the Fallschirmjagers. The other "elite" formations are also there, just not named and they are represented by the numerous units with high (200+) experience.
Yrfin wrote:Yeah McGube make a right choice about movement changes ...
Movements System are very importance in PzC mechanics/Rules.
Well, it is nice to know that McGube could do at least one thing right. :wink:
ImageImage
Yrfin

Post by Yrfin »

McGuba wrote: Well, it is nice to know that McGube could do at least one thing right. :wink:
Anyway you did RIGHT things. You are did PzC content more interesting.

PS. We are can disscuss few details later i think. And I hope BF v2.0 will be more intrigue then v1.9 :)
cicciopastic
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by cicciopastic »

Hi guys,

i just downloaded v1.9. while I played before version .6 and .7 .. so it was a while i didn't touch thid pearl Mod.

i am tring a hotseat multiplayer game against myself :roll: .... i just started tonight but i'am much fun (as usual ... tks McGuba!).

my first impression as axis is that the russia campaing started much faster then usual ... i think i'am on the pace the germans kept at the very beginning of barbarossa (first time i am so fast!).

on the other side the red army is melting as snow under the sun :oops: .... some reinforcement are starting to flow from the east!

Its too early to draw any conclusion ... i have to say that is a great emotion to try to stop the germans! :twisted:

Just something i would like to ask ... is the german south front weaker then before? i am sending renforcement because is the sector were progress came slower.

ciao to everybody,

ciccio
cicciopastic

Post by cicciopastic »

PS McGuba "bacio le mani" .... this mod is always a master piece!
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Thanks for the detailed tips on Sevastopol Uhu. I lost my 21cm artillery there as a result of the Russian navy and the fort. :( But I ended up taking it in July as the enemy AA went into AT mode, allowing me to carpet bomb all units there – combined with my artillery, it worked, but at a heavy cost.

Push on Moscow is looking like a success. I will enter the city streets mid August ’42. Speaking of which, I noticed that there seems to be an AI script with Russian planes over Moscow. Around 5 or 6 planes are sitting over Moscow and inactive – they just sit there. In July, they suddenly activated. I am not sure what caused this (timing or because I approach within certain distance)?

Meanwhile, early August and Malta has 3 health left – it will soon be mine! Africa core siege Tobruk, helped greatly by Regia Marina. We need to take it and set up defences before the great Allied push from Suez. I have a strong force heading to the oilfields of Middle East – 5 infantry, 2 tanks, 2 SPAT, 3 artillery, air support, etc. But I lost a valuable Panzer IV during the landings on the Syrian coast (my first and only tank loss so far).

By the way, what is the best way to take Leningrad? I don't think its worth to siege them out, as it requires so many troops to sit statically. Maybe massed artillery and Luftwaffe?

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”