Battlefield: Europe MOD v2.4

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: Battlefield: Europe MOD v1.9

Post by McGuba »

alex1515 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:19 am is it available now?

regards,
Alex
my Blog link removed

I am not sure what you mean. This mod is available since 2014. The current version is v1.9, download link is on the first page of this topic.

Yrfin wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:08 pm With Mega Fix from Mr. Rudankort (256 Zone ! Thanks), we will be able to see in future version BF:
- Murmansk on Map (and Arctic Convoys perhaps )
- Spain in action (Gibraltar) ?

Yes, these are all theoretically possible now, however I did not have the time to check and test the new executable yet. I am very busy at work, usually doing 12 hours a day this month. :cry: Nevertheless, I am finishing the next version which will bring a lot of changes. I wrote about the road map and the possible improvements in my previous post. But all these will take time.

Yrfin wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:08 pm 1. Wehr AT was ALL motorized (Guderian was agly on it). So NO MORE HORSE for AT

As far as I know all German towed AT are motorized in the big scenario by default in the current version.

2. Small gun like 37-57 mm can use shrapnel. So SA must be 3-4.
Lets see:
- MG34 about 100 bullets/min (practical).
- 37 mm PaK. 0.6 kg/10 g = 60 bullets x 20 shot/min = 1200 bullets/min. Its a MINI-GUN ;)
- 57 mm ZiS-2. 324 bullets x 10.8 g at Shot !

I am fairly content with the current stats of light AT guns. A little increase in SA could be possible, though. However, I do not really agree with your thinking that a 37 mm Pak could fire more "bullets" than an MG34 in the same period of time. Without even going into details like the very limited range of shrapnel ammunition compared to the effective range of a MG 34/42 machine gun.
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969
Yrfin
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Yrfin »

McGuba wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:59 pm
Yrfin wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:08 pm With Mega Fix from Mr. Rudankort (256 Zone ! Thanks), we will be able to see in future version BF:
- Murmansk on Map (and Arctic Convoys perhaps )
- Spain in action (Gibraltar) ?
Yes, these are all theoretically possible now, however I did not have the time to check and test the new executable yet. I am very busy at work, usually doing 12 hours a day this month. :cry: Nevertheless, I am finishing the next version which will bring a lot of changes. I wrote about the road map and the possible improvements in my previous post. But all these will take time.
Good luck with free time for BF :)

Any information about date release BF 2.0 ?
Yrfin wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:08 pm
2. Small gun like 37-57 mm can use shrapnel. So SA must be 3-4.
Lets see:
- MG34 about 100 bullets/min (practical).
- 37 mm PaK. 0.6 kg/10 g = 60 bullets x 20 shot/min = 1200 bullets/min. Its a MINI-GUN ;)
- 57 mm ZiS-2. 324 bullets x 10.8 g at Shot !
I am fairly content with the current stats of light AT guns. A little increase in SA could be possible, though. However, I do not really agree with your thinking that a 37 mm Pak could fire more "bullets" than an MG34 in the same period of time. Without even going into details like the very limited range of shrapnel ammunition compared to the effective range of a MG 34/42 machine gun.
Effective range of shrapnel - 400 m. MG - same.
Fast small artillery (up to 75 mm) with shrapnel > MG.
It was from Napoleons War, then the WW I and was continue at WWII.

Next Q about your E-file:

Marders
7.5 L/46 (SA/HA)
Marder II 3 16
Marder IIIH 4 16
Marder IIIM 2 16
7.6 L/41
Marder IID 4 15
Marder III 3 15

1. 7.6 (modifyded F-22) have same ballistics like 7.5 in HA.
2. What make "float" SA from 2 to 4 for same Gun ?
3. Why SA for Marder equal 4 for vehicle with 75-76 mm gun ?

Lets see StuGs...
7.5 L/43 (SA/HA)
StuG IIIF 5 15
Oops... SAME gun.
StuG IIIF/8 6 16

And Tank Unit with 7.5 gun have SA 8 ...

Dont forget about strange "gamesdesigners" decision in game Rules:
"AT attacking by Inf: -2 HA" and "Inf attacking by AT : +2 def"

Something is wrong in the state of Denmark...
Oops, I mean E-file of coz.

Any suggestion ?
When im died - I must be a killed.
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Yrfin wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:21 pm Any information about date release BF 2.0 ?
When it is ready and good to go.

Some sources give a bit better penetration for the 7.5cm Pak 40. Other than that it is very hard to make a difference between the various Marder types as they had very similar characteristics. If the early Marders are the same as the later ones why would the player upgrade to them? Unless if they get the noreplace trait, but I think that would be a bit too harsh.

2. What make "float" SA from 2 to 4 for same Gun ?
This same "float" exists in the original equipment file as well, and I must confess that I never really paid attention to it, just took it over. Mainly because it is a very small deviation and hardly noticable in combat. Basically none of these should be used against infantry, but of course it can be fixed.

Marders were mainly used in tank hunter role. As far as I know they mainy had armour-piercing rounds and just a few, if any HE rounds.

Lets see StuGs...
7.5 L/43 (SA/HA)
StuG IIIF 5 15
Oops... SAME gun.
StuG IIIF/8 6 16
Some StuGIIIF were equipped with the shorter 7.5cm StuK40 L/43, while all StuGIIIF-8 were equipped with the longer L/48. I believe the longer L/48 was somewhat better than the earlier L/43, even though some sources give similar penetration to both. Otherwise why did the Germans change for that longer gun?

Tanks have rotating turret as opposed to tank hunters. Therefore they are more effective against infantry especially in short distances, even if having the same gun.

Dont forget about strange "gamesdesigners" deсision in game Rules:
I largely agree with this game design decision.
ImageImage
Yrfin

Post by Yrfin »

McGuba wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:38 pm
Some sources give a bit better penetration for the 7.5cm Pak 40. Other than that it is very hard to make a difference between the various Marder types as they had very similar characteristics. If the early Marders are the same as the later ones why would the player upgrade to them? Unless if they get the noreplace trait, but I think that would be a bit too harsh.
About penetration Im use this table (cross-checked with other sources).
Penetration.rar
(143.32 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
1000 m/30 degree.

About Marders role ...
Why did a players upgrade Pz IIIE to Pz IIIF ? :)

"If Marders get the noreplace trait, but I think that would be a bit too harsh."
Maybe it will be more realistic. Marder Family was good for time, but it was a "Ersatz". And was be replaced by Hetzer soon. But they a play very important "role" in Summer 42 (East/Africa).
Maybe made Marder in separate Series ( 50-75 PaK) ... I dont know. You're Boss of BattleField :)
McGuba wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:38 pm Marders were mainly used in tank hunter role. As far as I know they mainy had armour-piercing rounds and just a few, if any HE rounds.
Thats the "role" for Military Weapon ? :)
FlaK 8.8 dont play AT "role" - just rip to shreds Brits Matilda II :)
Brits dont beleave it - and dont use own AA for fight Rommel panzers.
You can read about it in Liddell Hart book "History of the Second World War" Chapter 14 "Rommel in Africa".
Lets see StuGs...
7.5 L/43 (SA/HA)
StuG IIIF 5 15
Oops... SAME gun.
StuG IIIF/8 6 16
McGuba wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:38 pm Some StuGIIIF were equipped with the shorter 7.5cm StuK40 L/43, while all StuGIIIF-8 were equipped with the longer L/48. I believe the longer L/48 was somewhat better than the earlier L/43, even though some sources give similar penetration to both. Otherwise why did the Germans change for that longer gun?
I dont know why 48 instead 43 :( Look a table Penetration: 82 mm L/43, 87 mm - L/48. Not a big.

I still fun about Hitler's scandal about L/60 against L/42 50 cm:
lets see;
- 50 mm L/42 - 36 mm
- 50 mm L/60 - 44 mm

Not much differenses against T-34 :)
McGuba wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:38 pm Tanks have rotating turret as opposed to tank hunters. Therefore they are more effective against infantry especially in short distances, even if having the same gun.
LOL. Are you seriously think about tanks rotate turret agains Inf Attacks ? :)
Dont forget about strange "gamesdesigners" deсision in game Rules:
McGuba wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:38 pm I largely agree with this game design decision.
+1 from Rudankort :)

I largely disagree with this game design decision: its looks like Rock–paper–scissors simplification rulez.
Actually its more complicated and interesting.
Rommel was used "Ordinary" 37-50 mm PaK in attack. Brits dont believe it. And loose tanks.
Like i said before: Russians use Shrapnell for 57-mm "AT" Gun ZiS-2 agains Inf. And against Tanks too : shrapnell on short distans can break very thick armor.
You can call Cannon "AT" or "AA" or "Pure Field Cannon"... Dont matter. "Wins who uses all opportunities". Sun Tzu (с)
Last edited by Yrfin on Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When im died - I must be a killed.
Grizzly123
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Grizzly123 »

great mod thank you
slowgtp
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by slowgtp »

McGuba question

One of the favorite things I love about your mod is the real pictures and skins. Is it possible to use just those in my grand campaign? The full mod isn't compatible with the grand campaign unfortunately.
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

slowgtp wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:53 pm McGuba question

One of the favorite things I love about your mod is the real pictures and skins. Is it possible to use just those in my grand campaign? The full mod isn't compatible with the grand campaign unfortunately.
It is possible, but I did not add a photo for every unit of the base game as I do not use some of those prototype only and rare units like the Soviet AT-1 or T-18. And some units may look different as well as I may have used a different name for them.

In order to do so you only need to use the contents of the "\Battlefield Europe v1.92\UI\bigunits\" (black and white bigunit pictures) and the "\Battlefield Europe v1.92\Graphics\Units\" (unit icons) folders.

So for example you can create a "new" mod by only using the contents of these two folders, keeping the same folder structure, and install it in the same way as you do with the GME.
ImageImage
P210
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by P210 »

Hello McGuba,

Some feedback. 1.32 exe does not work with v1.9. For example, it immediately triggers several scripts in beginning of Barbarossa turn one. Vichy France, Leningrad siege etc. 1.30 works perfectly.

I am test playing the upgrade/purchase only in Germany concept. Germany cities (marked with +), Prague, Wien and Rome. In North Africa Tunis, Tobruk and Alexandria.

It's doable. It does force some realism into play that, in practice, you cannot upgrade or purchase units in locations which are not connected via railway to central Europe. I like that.
Still I have a feeling that it would be better to have Budabest, Bucharest and Helsinki on the upgrade city list.

I believe equipment availability schedule is somewhat delayed in v1.9 in order to simulate actual appearance of new stuff in field. I do have constant feeling of lagging behind in arms race with soviets due to longer upgrade cycle.
I have hard time in reaching Caucasus oil fields. Did not manage to do it in '42. Huge mass of soviet stuff bogged down Army Group South with semi obsolescent tanks SE from Stalingrad. Soviet '42/'43 winter offensive pushed lines almost back to Rostov. Longer upgrade cycle and therefore reduced number of operational units does have an effect.
Though I did not use Black sea route at all in anticipation of possibly harder soviet naval opposition.

Negative effects. I did encounter unwanted equipment upgrade. StuG B in Dresden automatically changed to StuG G. Should this happen only in Berlin? I really miss my artillery :)
This Marder upgrade from tanks (and StuG) feature is good and realistic, but it should happen only in one city.

Different topic. Read a book about JG26. BE does a really good job in realistically creating air war in Western Europe. Experience drop due to lack of fuel from '43 on would likely make this even better.

I wish that there would not be too many artificial restrictions for Finns in next version. Maybe taking train, air and ship transports away would suffice.

Equipment file in overall is great. Towed and SP AT guns might benefit from fine tuning, but that starts to go into personal preference/view area.
I do have minor change proposals. I would swap the initiative value order between Pak 38 and Pak 97/38. Latter used mainly low velocity heat ammunition and therefore the effective range was relatively short against tanks and in contrast the Pak 38 is a very high velocity gun. Also I would like to boost towed AT effectiveness in ambushes (mainly thinking later part of the war). Therefore I suggest initiative 7 for Pak 40, 6 for Pak 38 and 5 for Pak 97/38 (for all countries that used these).
It would also be nice if Italy had some AT available through the whole war.

Great Mod :)
Intenso82
Most Successful Mod 2017
Most Successful Mod 2017

Post by Intenso82 »

P210 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:54 am Some feedback. 1.32 exe does not work with v1.9. For example, it immediately triggers several scripts in beginning of Barbarossa turn one. Vichy France, Leningrad siege etc.
I'm still testing the revised 1.32 version.
Hopefully it will be available soon.
[MOD] RUSSIA AT WAR:1941 - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=75743
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

P210 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:54 am Some feedback. 1.32 exe does not work with v1.9. For example, it immediately triggers several scripts in beginning of Barbarossa turn one. Vichy France, Leningrad siege etc. 1.30 works perfectly.
Yeah, Intenso told me about this, even though I still did not have the time to check it out. The next version of this mod which I work on uses PzC v1.31 anyway, and that one looks flawless so far.

Still I have a feeling that it would be better to have Budabest, Bucharest and Helsinki on the upgrade city list.
I have already added Helsinki to the list. However, for some reason only to the single player version until now. But I will add it to the multiplayer version as well.

I am not so sure about Budapest and Bucharest. Especially Bucharest is much closer to the frontline of Army Group South and I think it would be weird if players would send their German tank units and other equipment to Romania for upgrade.

I believe equipment availability schedule is somewhat delayed in v1.9 in order to simulate actual appearance of new stuff in field. I do have constant feeling of lagging behind in arms race with soviets due to longer upgrade cycle.
In v1.9 most German equipment shows up around 1-2 month after they became historically available. There are some exceptions, though, for example the towed 7.5cm PaK 40 AT gun becomes available after enough had been produced historically. Altough produced from early 1942, initial production was farily low with less than 200 produced per month and it was not until October/November of that year that the first 1.000 examples were produced and production only exceeded 500 per month from January 1943.
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Waf ... anonen.htm

And in this mod a towed AT gun unit represents 1.000 actual AT guns. So whereas in the base game this unit is available from February (right after its production started), in my mod it only becomes available from late August, which is even a bit too early. I believe that the slow initial production of this AT gun had a major role in the Axis defeats during the 42-43 Soviet winter offensives. The Germans just did not have enough to equip there own units with this AT gun and they could give even less, if any, to their Romanian, Hungarian and Italian allies. And it was basically the only really effective weapon against the frontal armour of the T-34 and KV tanks. So these armies were doomed.

Negative effects. I did encounter unwanted equipment upgrade. StuG B in Dresden automatically changed to StuG G. Should this happen only in Berlin? I really miss my artillery :)
This Marder upgrade from tanks (and StuG) feature is good and realistic, but it should happen only in one city.
I am aware of this issue and will look into it. Currently due to the limited number of AI zones I cannot really fix it. :(
We have to wait for the fixed 1.32 executable or I might try to allocate another AI zone for that purpose. But that would come at a cost elsewhere.

I wish that there would not be too many artificial restrictions for Finns in next version. Maybe taking train, air and ship transports away would suffice.
For now I only added these. But realistically there should be more. May or may not add them later.

I do have minor change proposals. I would swap the initiative value order between Pak 38 and Pak 97/38. Latter used mainly low velocity heat ammunition and therefore the effective range was relatively short against tanks and in contrast the Pak 38 is a very high velocity gun. Also I would like to boost towed AT effectiveness in ambushes (mainly thinking later part of the war). Therefore I suggest initiative 7 for Pak 40, 6 for Pak 38 and 5 for Pak 97/38 (for all countries that used these).
I will consider this. But then it may effect similar AT guns of the Allies as well. For example British 17 pdr has currently ini 7. So then it should maybe go up to 8. Which may or may not be too high.

It would also be nice if Italy had some AT available through the whole war.
Yes, I think they could have the PaK 40 as well like the other minor Axis nations. Especially now, that these can only be bought at certain places.

I also sent you a Private Message. Please check your inbox.
ImageImage
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Rudankort wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:00 pm Hello All!

Here is an experimental version of the game which should be able to handle 256 zones. It should be backwards compatible with any existing content, but the opposite is not true: older versions of the game will not load stuff created with this version. Also, in the editor you will see hex count in each zone, added in [] after zone number.

http://flashback.games/files/ScenarioEditor_132.zip
http://flashback.games/files/PanzerCorps_132.zip
http://flashback.games/files/PanzerCorps_132_Steam.zip

Make sure you have necessary backups before editing anything with this version. Let me know if you experience any issues.
Many thanks to Intenso82 who tested this patch and found some issues. So I had to fix them and rebuild the binaries. New version seems to be working in all tests we tried. It can be downloaded here:
http://flashback.games/files/PanzerCorps132.zip
This is a single archive which contains all binaries, plus updated HTML files for the editor with 256 zones added to all combo boxes, so you don't need to do this on your side.

If you find any further issues, let me know.
guille1434
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by guille1434 »

Thanks a lot, Alex!! :-)
Uhu
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Uhu »

McGuba wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:09 am I believe that the slow initial production of this AT gun had a major role in the Axis defeats during the 42-43 Soviet winter offensives.
I strongly disagree. Less than half of the Soviet tanks were in the winter of 42/43 medium, or heavy tanks. For all other, the lower than 75mm calibres were enough. Also these tanks suffered high losses, so they were not invincible. The weather which hindered the Luftwaffe played a much stronger role. Also in foggy, low LOS weather instead of guns, tank hunter teams comes into the picture.
DSK
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by DSK »

Uhu hey will you be doing a major revamp of the mod with the 200+ AI zones now?

Please do! I hope it continues to include Murmask
uzbek2012
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by uzbek2012 »

And will your mod operation "sunrise 1940" !?
Britain's war with France in 1940.
http://www.airwar.ru/history/locwar/eur ... nrise.html
https://spetsialny.livejournal.com/701627.html
Uhu

Post by Uhu »

Nope. Because McGuba is the main creator, I just help him with testing and with ideas and game desing. But he will surely do it some day. :)
DSK wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:59 am Uhu hey will you be doing a major revamp of the mod with the 200+ AI zones now?

Please do! I hope it continues to include Murmask
DSK

Post by DSK »

Is McGuba MIA or KIA? Where'd he go?
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

No, as far as I know I am still alive and ready for service. Why?
ImageImage
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Dear all,

As I haven’t seen any recent AAR on the Normandy/Bagration save (except for Uhu’s AAR from 2015 based on v1.6), I decided to prepare another AAR for BE – this time more focused on defensive than on offensive operations:

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=87739
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
Großadmiral
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Großadmiral »

Hallo Freunde von diesem sehr speziellen Mod!

Bin neu hier im Forum, aber kein Neuer (47 Jahre) in Sachen Strategie und Simulation.
Ich hoffe jemand kann meine Hauptanliegen einigermaßen ins englische übersetzen, denn "my english is not good".
Erst einmal Worte des Dankes an McGuba:
Dieser Mod ist das beste, was ich jemals als alter PanzerGeneral-Gamer spielen durfte!!!
Wer selbst einmal an Computerspielen "herumschraubte" wird das erst ermessen können.
Ich spiele zur Zeit BE 1.9 mit der PC Version 1.30 und bei mir sind zwei kleine Bugs aufgetreten.
Das KG2 mit der Do17Z lässt sich nicht wieder verstärken und mit der Ju88 sind keine Angriffe auf U-Boote im Seerohrmodus möglich. Ist das vielleicht bei anderen auch so, oder liegt das an der nicht aktuellen Patch-Version, die ja was an den U-Booten ändert?
Lieber McGuba bevor jetzt die neue Version online geht, noch ein ganz dringendes Anliegen von mir. Ist es nicht möglich, für Flugzeuge einen strategischen Verlegemodus (über einen Modusschalter oder eventuell Bahntransport) einzuführen, denn eine schnelle Verlegung von Luftwaffeneinheiten ist bisher nicht möglich und für mich der größte Schwachpunkt in diesem Strategiemod.
Ich weis, diese Anregung kommt ziemlich spät, aber es wundert mich, das andere Spieler dieses Thema noch nicht angesprochen haben! Bei mir, macht es sich gerade aktuell während der Tunesienlage sehr unangenehm bemerkbar.
Ein zweiter, aber hier schon angesprochener Fehler, ist die passive englische HomeFleet, was du aber bestimmt in der neuen Version abändern wirst.
Und ganz wichtig mein Freund McGuba: Vergesse dein Leben und deine Familie beim modden nicht.
Nochmal ein ganz dickes Dankeschön an dich!

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”