Post WWII Scenario

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Jojeval
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Ooops...

Post by Jojeval »

PLEASE NOTE THAT I INADVERTENTLY UPLOADED THE WRONG FILE YESTERDAY TO THE SERVER, SO IF YOU DOWNLOADED THE FILE EARLIER THAN THE TIME OF THIS POSTING, THEN YOU GOT THE WRONG ONE. I HAVE RENAMED THE CORRECT FILE BOP_SCENARIO_v20.ZIP TO DISTINGUISH IT FROM YESTERDAY'S ERRONEOUS ONE WHICH WAS NAMED BOP_SCENARIO_v020.ZIP. SINCERE APOLOGIES FOR THE MIX UP!
Jojeval

BOP INVASION - HISTORICAL & BOP INVASION - PLANNED

Post by Jojeval »

I have uploaded a new version of the Bay of Pigs historical scenario (DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 70#p608612). In this version I attempt to address the following outstanding pet peeves regarding gameplay “realism”:

Lack of terrain type for hamlet-size settlements. Many of the engagements in the Bay of Pigs area were associated with small settlements that are not well represented by the City terrain type. In this update, I modified the Bocage terrain type, which is not used in the scenario, to create a Hamlet close terrain type with a base entrenchment of 1 and an initiative cap of 6.
sc2.jpg
sc2.jpg (129.17 KiB) Viewed 6266 times
Suicidal use of mounted units by the AI. The AI has a nonsensical tendency (even when set at level 2), especially during simulated “nighttime” (rain) turns, of repeatedly careening mounted units (infantry and AA units most notably) into the front lines of the opposing forces to be slaughtered. Under fog-of-war playing conditions, the AI is just not smart enough to know better when enemy units are not visible to it. I have tackled this issue in two ways which drastically reduce the problem:

(1) I have created HUMINT/Covert Spotter units (virtually indestructible) with a spotting range of 3 and placed them in strategically, impenetrable (“Deep Swamp”) hexes so as to allow the AI to spot opposing units blocking beachhead entry positions;
HUMINT unit.jpg
HUMINT unit.jpg (167.28 KiB) Viewed 6266 times
(2) As the above workaround is not effective during simulated “nighttime” (rain) turns (because of the reduced spotting range of the HUMINT units), during night turns the following unit actions are implemented on specific AI-controlled units: (a) all infantry units in and around the causeway beachhead access routes lose their truck transport, (b) active AA units anywhere on the map are immobilized by setting their fuel level to 0. Both of these actions are reversed during the first subsequent “daylight” (dry) turn.

Although making AI gameplay more realistic, the end result is that the resulting scenario is not balanced (as with its historical counterpart) and may prove unwinnable unless the invading forces are given large prestige and/or experience advantages using the Custom Difficulty game option. I’m fine with this end result as my goal is to get as close to accurate “what-iffing” (modeling) as possible within the limitations of the game engine.

For further “what-iffing” probing, I have created an additional operation-as-planned scenario (downloadable from the link below) encompassing the following three key plan elements missing from the historical operation:

(1) Total control of the sky by the invading force;
(2) Coastal support fire from two modified invasion force LCIs (treated as of “River Boat” class);
(3) Operation of two special-unit B-26 aircraft from the short-landing airfield at Playa Girón (with the rest of the B-26s operating from Nicaragua).
B-26_SL.jpg
B-26_SL.jpg (233.69 KiB) Viewed 6266 times
Historically, as it was recognized that the runway at the Girón airfield was of insufficient length for standard B-26 landings, two invasion air force pilots received especial short–landing (SL) training to enable two bombers to operate from there. To recreate the resulting limitations on operations from this airfield it is not represented in the scenario by the Airfield terrain type (which would allow any B-26 to refuel/rearm there). Instead, special SL B-26 units are introduced which are assigned their maximum (through Unit Action scripts) fuel/ammo/strength values immediately upon “landing” within a 1-hex radius of the “SL Ops AF” hex. However, the player needs to keep a close eye on the fuel levels for these special B-26 units as the marking of hexes with “no return” red dots will not be accurate for them with respect to the SL Ops AF.

More information is provided in the README file. PLEASE NOTE: The scenario is designed to be played with the human player controlling the Brigade 2506 (Allied) side against the computer in single-player mode. It is not configured for play in the reverse single-player mode.

Download link for “Bay of Pigs Invasion – Planned” (ver. 2.6 as of 22.02.23 with minor change to order of battle) mod files : https://bit.ly/3qa20Is. Please note that only the scenario pzscn and pzloc files for this alternate history scenario are different from the other mod files for the "Bay of Pigs - Historical scenario," thus the two scenarios can be played interchangeably.
Last edited by Jojeval on Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:52 pm, edited 11 times in total.
uzbek2012
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Post WWII Scenario

Post by uzbek2012 »

How to install this mod and it will be continued, or did it all drown like this IS off the coast of Cuba? )
http://newsland.com/user/15307/content/ ... be/2672041
Jojeval

Post by Jojeval »

Installation instructions are in the README file included in the download. And by the way, that is a T-34 at the bottom of the ocean, not one of the M-41 Walker Bulldog tanks (five in total) carried by the small invasion force. Despite a 3/1 superiority in numbers, the T-34-85s were vastly outclassed during the battle by the light M-41s.
Last edited by Jojeval on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uzbek2012

Post by uzbek2012 »

Jojeval wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:39 pm Installation instructions are in the README file included in the download.
this mod is still relevant and alive ? :shock:
Jojeval

Post by Jojeval »

The "Planned" modifier refers to the mod that recreates the planned form of the invasion to distinguish it from its Historical (as it happened) counterpart. Both versions are complete.
uzbek2012

Post by uzbek2012 »

Jojeval wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:13 pm The "Planned" modifier refers to the mod that recreates the planned form of the invasion to distinguish it from its Historical (as it happened) counterpart. Both versions are complete.
Well, the game has been updated to version 1.30 (and someone has versions 1.31 and 1.32 !
viewtopic.php?f=121&t=76489#p649287

You don't need to adapt or update something already in your mod ? Do you have a new build or a new version of the mod !?
https://en.topwar.ru/13583-amerikanskiy ... mosti.html
Last edited by uzbek2012 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jojeval

Post by Jojeval »

I believe 1.30 was the last official update of the game engine. Both of the mods ("Historical" and "Planned") work with 1.30. Be sure to read the README files for each as they are different.
Panzerpimp
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Panzerpimp »

Can confirm that the mod is working well and is really super hard.
As far as I remember I couldn't get a victory in both versions. :(
Make love, not war.
Jojeval

Post by Jojeval »

End of game review.jpg
End of game review.jpg (750.02 KiB) Viewed 5048 times
Panzerpimp wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:48 pm Can confirm that the mod is working well and is really super hard.
As far as I remember I couldn't get a victory in both versions. :(
Yes to both questions :) . The historically-based mod is extremely difficult to win given that (1) the invading force is increasingly vastly outnumbered as the game progresses, (2) the enemy fighters control the air and (3) ammunition is limited between turns 14 and 24. Still, playing at the "Colonel with AI at 2" Custom Setting I can generally win at least 50% of the time by using the following overall strategies:

(1) Deploy your units as shown on the attached screen-capture for Turn 4. It is vital that the 2nd Bn advance to the hex just north of Pálpite and is supported by the 6th Bn, mortar, tank and gun-truck units, as shown. Failure to close off this western access to the beachhead was one of the downfalls of the actual invasion. (The 5th Bn will eventually arrive at Buenaventura if enemy units have not overrun this western approach). I employ the 1st Bn supported by a tank to hold the line across the causeway from Covadonga and the 4th Bn with a tank to do likewise across the causeway from Yaguaramas.
(2) Deploy the forces on the eastern flank (3rd Bn, tank and gun-truck) as shown. It is almost impossible to hold GREEN BEACH so don't try it. By not over-extending the eastern flank you'll be able to move the nearby mortar battery to support both the central and eastern front lines as needed. Also be prepared to move 3rd Bn to support the 4th Bn at the Yaguaramas causeway blocking line when SAU-100 AT units arrive; they will usually make short work of an M-41 tank in an engagement. Adaptive flexibility in moving your units around is very important.
(3) Launch B-26 raids en masse (all available units) during turns 3, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23, and 27 and prioritize targeting enemy artillery (more successful early on before the enemy's AA units are in place). It will take two turns for the bombers to be able to reach the beachhead, so leave them a few hexes offshore during the first leg of their flight from Nicaragua. This was, in my opinion, another shortcoming in the use of the bombers during the actual battle. By attacking en masse, you'll maximize the ratio of damage inflicted/losses. Sending them in piecemeal will result in a great number of lost aircraft for little damage achieved. (In fact, during the Falklands War, British fighter pilots observed that if Argentine aircraft on bombing runs had arrived in greater numbers it would have overwhelmed their ability to intercept them and more ships would have been sunk).
(4) Lastly, play defensively rather than offensively and don't initiate firing on enemy units unless you have a clear advantage.

I may be forgetting something else but I think these are the main strategies I have found worthwhile.

PS: Edited to correct some miswording in my original.
Attachments
Turn 4.jpg
Turn 4.jpg (738.41 KiB) Viewed 5047 times
Turn 4.jpg
Turn 4.jpg (738.41 KiB) Viewed 5055 times
Last edited by Jojeval on Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:17 am, edited 19 times in total.
Panzerpimp

Post by Panzerpimp »

Jojeval wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:34 am Still, playing at the "Colonel with AI at 2" Custom Setting I can generally win at least 50% of the time by using the following overall strategies:
Jojeval wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:34 am I may be forgetting something else but I think these are the main strategies I have found worthwhile.
Thank You very much. I was waiting for something like this. Planned to do the AAR, but lost so badly that finally decided against It. It's time to try again, I guess. :)
Make love, not war.
Vano2004
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Vano2004 »

Will the author update this script ?
https://zen.yandex.ru/media/id/5c2bb5cb ... 45f96502dc
Jojeval

Post by Jojeval »

I have uploaded a replay of a Historical BOP mod game featuring a hard-won victory against the Communist Cuban forces, for those who have asked me if such a win is possible. All Custom Difficulty levels were set to Colonel-equivalent levels except for the AI, which was set to level 2, and the number of turns, which was set to 5 (for a total of 36).

The deployment of forces and tactics shown currently allow me to win some 70% of the games against the AI; granted with usually very high air loses. Half the fun of playing the mod is finding ways of achieving a win against the much superior enemy forces; think Rorke's Drift.

LINK: https://bit.ly/3CX7jTh
Last edited by Jojeval on Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vano2004

Post by Vano2004 »

Jojeval wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:03 pm I have uploaded a replay of a Historical BOP mod game featuring a hard-won victory against the Communist Cuban forces, for those who have asked me if such a win is possible. All Custom Difficulty levels were set to Colonel-equivalent levels except for the AI, which was set to level 2, and the number of turns, which was set to 5 (for a total of 36).

The deployment of forces and tactics shown currently allow me to win some 70% of the games against the AI; granted with usually very high air loses. Half the fun of playing the mod is finding ways of achieving a win against the much superior enemy forces; think Rorke's Drift.

LINK: https://bit.ly/34jX0JW
Where to throw the file you posted ?
https://myslide.ru/presentation/kubinsk ... a-istoriya

https://masterok.livejournal.com/1821983.html
Jojeval

Post by Jojeval »

Vano2004, copy it to the Replay folder under the Panzer Corps directory. It the same directory under which the Scenario folder is located (usually under My Games in Windows). When you launch Panzer Corps and choose Load Game it should be listed under the Replays tab.
Vano2004

Post by Vano2004 »

Jojeval wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:28 pm Vano2004, copy it to the Replay folder under the Panzer Corps directory. It the same directory under which the Scenario folder is located (usually under My Games in Windows). When you launch Panzer Corps and choose Load Game it should be listed under the Replays tab.
You play great, but how about updating your mod in general ?
Jojeval

Post by Jojeval »

There is nothing to update. If you mean a Panzer Corps 2 version I will not be doing that :-)
Vano2004

Post by Vano2004 »

Jojeval wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:24 pm There is nothing to update. If you mean a Panzer Corps 2 version I will not be doing that :-)

No no the second panzer corps is a tragedy )

I meant to add ships , aircraft , paratroopers and so on and so forth ))

http://sof-mag.ru/news2/10_Avispas_Negras.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_of_Pigs_Invasion

Some units can be taken from this mod)
viewtopic.php?f=147&t=72062
From the generosity of the U.S. government (which, of course, knew nothing) the brigade was given:
"- Thirty-two B-26 bombers, nine of them B-26Bs for the air raid on Cuban airfields (Operation Puma) were repainted and bore Cuban Air Force insignia; another 20, received from the U.S. Air Force Reserve and previously in mothballed storage, were repaired and modernized - with additional fuel tanks and rocket launchers;
- five M41 tanks;
- ten M8 armored personnel carriers;
- three M-20 75-mm anti-tank recoilless artillery guns;
- 18 pcs. M18 57-mm recoilless artillery guns;
https://en.topwar.ru/50540-amerikanskie ... udiya.html
- six pieces. 106.7 mm mortars; 36 pcs. 60 mm mortars;
- 75 pcs. 88.9-mm M20 "bazooka" anti-tank grenade launchers;
- eight flamethrowers;
- 44 12.7 mm browning M2HB heavy machine guns;
- 3 and 30 "Browning" M1919 machine guns with 7.62 × 63 mm ammunition;
- 108 Browning M1918 light machine guns;
- Small arms (485 M-1 Garand rifles, 150 carbines, 470 submachine guns, and 465 pistols);
- hand grenades;
- significant quantities of ammunition;
30,000 gallons of aviation fuel to fuel aircraft."
Source: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Бригада_2506

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Moments of frozen combat: Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces unit firing at a B-26 from a Czechoslovak-made 12.7-mm DShKM (part of the "disinterested" military aid of the Warsaw Pact)

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/baypigs.htm
https://www.latinamericanstudies.org/cuba.htm

https://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Arts/Art3705.htm
https://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft20542-1.htm
Jojeval

Post by Jojeval »

At the scale represented in the mod, the order of battle is as accurate as can be represented within the imitations of Panzer Corps. I have an extensive library of the weaponry used and units involved but a squad level mod for this battle does not make sense to me. A game engine like The Operational Art of War would allow more detail but frankly I don't find TOAW too fun to play.
Vano2004

Post by Vano2004 »

Jojeval wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:59 pm At the scale represented in the mod, the order of battle is as accurate as can be represented within the imitations of Panzer Corps. I have an extensive library of the weaponry used and units involved but a squad level mod for this battle does not make sense to me. A game engine like The Operational Art of War would allow more detail but frankly I don't find TOAW too fun to play.
What if I don 't find information about this truck М-35 in the 2506 brigade ?

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”