1941 - Best MP scenario!!! UPDATED JAN 2nd 2017

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Sparatacus
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

1941 - Best MP scenario!!! UPDATED JAN 2nd 2017

Post by Sparatacus »

Greetings Panzer Corps Enthusiasts,

I have attached a file 'Scenario' with both mulitplayer and singleplayer versions (just un-compress it and place in your scenarios folder, i.e My documents/my games/panzercorps/scenario)

This scenario is inspired from the CEAW map and other games like it i.e Axis and Allies Europe! But with all the cool variety and attributes of the PanzerCorps units. It is 99% done still needs tweaking and I am constantly updating as people find mistakes etc. However mainly I was wanting to make a balanced game which also was somewhat historically valid so here I require your input - please let me know your ideas/comments/suggestions for units, experience, number of units etc etc;

25th January - thanks for idea folks have resized map - 10 more hexes north and south, 4 for east and west. New strategies and tactics now available!

2nd January 2017 - Leningrad changes - lake is now sea and ships can pass through Leningrad port should make navy more useful for allies. More cities added mainly in soviet eastern areas, more tile fixes.

18th December 2016 - Leningrad (especially should be much harder to take), Moscow and Stalingrad have stronger forts/holds and made many overstrength Soviet units to balance against German overstrength units esp soviet airplanes. ALso slightly stronger Allied airforce in Egypt. More map fixes and new cities added etc.

19th November 2016 - More map changes

16th August 2016 - Few more fixes and 50% reduction in Allies prestige from industrial might bonus.

14th August 2016 - New Soviet SE units and Finnish added & special condition Japanese Corps & Eagle has landed paratrooper and more, river names added, more terrain fixes/mods, Operation Torch spawns 3 turns later.

7th July 2016 - Fixed lake hex to sea hex.

15th October 2015 - Single player editions added for both Axis and Allied- A.I gets +1000 prestige per turn! Also made Leningrad harder to take and increased Russian Baltic Fleet.

10th October 2014 - More updates and now you can use "show all available units" in the purchase unit tab and can deploy troops from Vichy France, British Indian, Australian, Greece, Yugoslavia and many more minor powers!

30th November 2013 - Convoys removed, minor fixes made, unit changes.

17th April 2013 - New Victory Conditions added. Axis have to capture 6 of a total of 9 Allied capitals/important cities (Moscow, Stalingrad,Leningrad, London, Glasgow, Cairo, Quebec, Manhatten, Washington D.C). Allies must capture all the important capitals under Axis control, Berlin, Rome, Paris, Budapest, Bucharest, Sofia, Tripoli, Tehran.

If neither side succeeds in completing their objectives then the winner is the side with the most flag points.

EASTER EDITION Update for Multiplayer and Singleplayer (needs to be tested may be too easy!) - Map changed to better reflect actual situation at time i.e Syria added, North Africa and Iran also under Axis control. British force added to Iraq, new better experienced armies and units especially for allies. Stalingrad area redesigned to be more tactically defensive. Hopefully not too tough for Axis but trialling now. Cheers
4/3/2013: Revised from Easter, St Johns added in Newfoundland; Soviet Armies spawn in later; Germans slightly tougher Luffwaffe; Scripts reworked so captured flags should add to prestige each turn, Neutral countries flags and strings added so more pretty (still needs work tho), Cyprus now Greek Flag at start. Messages have been altered.

New JULY 2016 Update for Multiplayer Map - Finnish units added, unit deployment altered mainly on Eastern front and spawn times etc set for more units so its harder for Allies, SE Soviets altered/added, less allied destroyers

Welcome to the epic 1941 scenario! Hitler's armies are experienced and ready to blitzkrieg to victory with his Axis cohorts! Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt must join together to destroy the industry of fascism.

Each turn the Axis and Allied Commanders will decide where to move their units, which forces to upgrade and requisition and the key will be the of their special army groups to achieve victory.

Be warned! Partisans appear occasionally for the Allies to fight the Axis in troublesome regions!

Both Axis and Allies will get reinforcements periodically keep an eye out for them! These often include new and fearsome machinery and weapons!

Rarely you will get a sizable army reinforcement such as the Defenders of the Third Reich, Siberian Reserves, D-day landing Army;

This map is not historically accurate but certainly historically influenced, it is designed to be enjoyed by enthusiast armchair Panzer Generals!

Notes: Spans 1941 to 1945 - 99 turns, 15 days a turn.

This is a large map with lots of units - be warned it might take a while to play!

Have fun!

Cheers

REVISED AND UPDATED 11/11/2012 Armistice Day!!!

Big updates this time - have altered forces to be more balanced including the navy, air fleets and the Russian land army (although its still big!)

Have made Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco areas neutral - if Axis have any units in this area then pro Allies forces appear otherwise if Allies enter the area pro-Axis forces join.

All cities are now named!

Some units are named after famous commanders and are some of your best and toughest troops at your disposal.

Bridges have been added and general tidy up of the map has improved appearance and functionality - i.e now a navy unit get to Trondheim in Norway.

Have added messages to give the players more details as to how the scenario works and also when Armies spawn in etc.

New dynamic prestige system! I have figured out how to include a lot more points basically I have a minor flag option with every flag in that zone worth 10 prestige per turn, and a major flag worth 25. So whoever has control gets the prestige each turn.

Strategic bombing is an option as it is built into PanzerCorps game - opponent loses 10 prestige for each successful raid! (Thanks to Razz and El Condoro for info)

Turns take ages at end so don't click everywhere (otherwise might crash) as it can take 2-4 minutes to complete the end turn cycle! Please save games frequently! Also it is best not to have any windows behind the PanzerCorps screen as the cursor can activate and cause problems or 'alt-tab' etc as this also seems to upset the game! Any help on getting game running better would be much appreciated? Thanks

11.17.2012 - Have Added 'Lean' version. Half as many units more room to maneuver, not as nightmarish for Axis and probably be quite good multiplayer. Some finishing to do and scripts to be rewritten etc. But please Test, review let me know! Cheers

11.28.2012 - Have rewritten alot of the scripts (have learnt more and more about how they work now!) Also more balancing of forces and things forgotten in original lean version. Cheers

11.1.2013 - Single Player and Multiplayer versions now done. Single player reduces slight xp bonus Axis have as well as giving the A.I Allies a large prestige boost. German troops are now much more experienced and strengthened at start. More subs added for Axis. Various amendments as per thread (thanks heaps to Rob especially and others!) Axis now have more forts to bolster defenses. Thanks to Italianopribe for playing so many test games to help get balance, indeed we are almost there :D

Please refer to thread about CTD (Crash to desktop) issues you need to make an exe file with 'no cache' in the filename as described by Chris10 further into the thread on page 2 this will allow PC to make many animations.

New Update now out! - Altering victory conditions; fixing roads and rails into ports; added hex in Iceland so you can cross over one side of island to the other; have reshaped Tobruk area slighty, and making general terrain over entire map more lush and realistic i.e forest hex on Cyprus, shallow seas in Netherlands etc; added uncrossable rivers to Europe to give Axis more defensive lines; fixing graphic anomalies i.e roads, rails, rivers, ports etc to be more seamless; correcting misnamed strings and correcting spelling mistakes and typos. Made much more desert area in middle east, added regular navy spawn for major naval powers, single player allies get more planes and tanks this is designed for player to go Axis!

Please note: Multiplayer scripts for flags don't work quite right yet as you get bonuses but not losses. However will still play well and be tough for Axis so most experienced player should go Axis until this is sorted. Currently have El Condurro (have sent you email) looking into it.
Attachments
1941 Jan.17.7z
Revised size 1941 map
(58.2 KiB) Downloaded 1011 times
1941 Single Player.rar
Both Axis and Allied files (A.I gets +1000 extra prestige per turn)
(114.02 KiB) Downloaded 1633 times
1941SP.rar
Single player only file - much much harder alot more allied spawning units and beefier defenses from start!
(49.61 KiB) Downloaded 1796 times
Last edited by Sparatacus on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:13 am, edited 64 times in total.
Wildthing
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: 1941 - New Scenario to try and test; feedback plz!

Post by Wildthing »

Hello Spartacus!
I love CEAW (without grand campaign) and i am happy to try your "scenario". But i dont know, what time i can spend on this. Please don not wait for any reaction from my side, to play such big adventure. This will take several weeks.

Thank you for 1941.
Wildthing
Chris10
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Chris10 »

No time playing this but I loaded it to have a look...nicely done
Since its very abstract due to the enormous scale per hex Iam not sure however if 99 turns are not to much maybe...
other than that very good work :wink:
Wildthing
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Wildthing »

I had a look too. Very nice and i got CEAW-fever instandly. How do you think to solve the problem, that in PanzerCorps is no effect on the morale of units, if cut off? If the enemy is powerfull like it is in CEAW from 1942, the player will get some trouble in your 1941-sceanrio. Unfortunaly in PC are no resources like oil. This must be managed using a flexible prestige-system.
I hope you proceed your project, because i really like its appearance.
Very nice to place the "Thor"-mortar. After Brest i will rail him to Sevastopol, if the road is clear until SPring 1942.
Oh, i have many plans! I agree with Chris, but i think its easy to reduce after first time playing. Let a FM-Expert play your map and i you know how many turns he needed, add a few and its playable for colonels. :-D
Keep on your good work!

For the countering against the convoi points, i dont know anything about triggers, but i think the Ally acts more aggressive, if you add "victory"-hexes instead of minor-city marks in these zones?

Greets, Wildthing
Sparatacus

Post by Sparatacus »

Thanks for feedback so far, I will work on next version over next couple of weeks, clean up map etc; and try to suss out more prestige options and the flags being convoy victory flags! Good idea!

Cheers
RobertCL
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by RobertCL »

First comments:

1. Excellent idea to have a European map! And nicely designed BTW.
2. As you say yourself the city names are missing, it is of utmost importance to finish your work here!
3. I do not understand why I have Dutch flag in North Africa (Morrocco, Algeria). I am using the historical flag patch, but North Africa (where Torch will happen in 1942) is French ownership.
4. Since you say you will send an updated scenario (because Russian troops are too strong, and so on), when will you proceed to an update ?
Sparatacus

Post by Sparatacus »

The 1941a file is the update as outlined under the update header. But will update again in a week or so as I want to get city names etc; and bridges and that kind of thing as next major thing I do. Much better with names as you say. Whoops about dutch flag that is meant to be free french will change this too!

Its not historically accurate because I'm not sure how to make nations at war via a timed condition at this stage, so I have just made as playable as possible.
RobertCL

Post by RobertCL »

OK I shall wait for the updated version.

BTW is it a multiplayer map or is this scenario intended to be played on German side against AI ?
Sparatacus

Post by Sparatacus »

Initially it was designed as Human Axis vs A.I Allies but should be fairly balanced now as I changed it after a few multi-player skirmishes but not 100% as so long and big have only got through several turns. Can always up the difficulty if finding to easy :)
RobertCL

Post by RobertCL »

Well, as soon as you publish a new version count on me to playtest it: German player as human vs Allied player as AI.
Sparatacus

Post by Sparatacus »

Hey Rob new update and revised edition is available!
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

Still trying to figure out how to do strategic bombing as I can make it cost the owner prestige. However for example if the Allies bomb Paris and the Axis get a -25 prestige bonus for that turn. If the Allies then capture Paris and the Germans bomb it then it would still deduct off the Axis!

Bombers already remove prestige from a player. No need to add more.
Sparatacus

Post by Sparatacus »

Sweet as thats awesome :) I don't have to do anything then!
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

Razz1 wrote:Bombers already remove prestige from a player. No need to add more.
Well, I've learned something new today! I had to test what Razz said and it seems a strat bomber attack removes 10 prestige from the enemy as well as causing suppression and perhaps damage. Interesting...
RobertCL

Post by RobertCL »

Hi,

I played a few minutes at Leutnant level, I love this scenario. It makes me think of "Third Reich" from Avalon Hill cardboard game.

1. There is a AD unit just in the north of Bucharest (adjacent hex), its strength is 5, it should be 10. This is the same for other AD and AT units on the French coast. Is it on purpose ?

2. Great to have names, it was really needed. The game also shows up that attacking USSR was crazy, imageine units were used against UK instead! (hopefully for us it never happened in reality but in a game I would like to invade Buckingam Palace :D )

3. Shouldn't we foresee to use the mod allowing the player to purchase ships (and especially submarines) ? I think the player should be able to concentrate on a naval strategy if he wishes. This is the idealistic scenario for this.

4. The game has 99 turns, what does represent 1 turn, 1 month ? I just would like to know if I can play until 1945. You already answered, sorry:
Spans 1941 to 1945 - 99 turns, 15 days a turn
5. Great idea to have Morocco and Algeria neutral countries until attacked, couldn't you do the same for Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Turkey and Sweden ? It is not really necessary but it gives an option to attack countries or not. Imagine Soviets attack Turkey then I help my Turkish friends and come closer to the Caucasus oild fields and then meet the Afrika Korps troops... This is a strategic dimension Pz Corps does not have currently (but you did it with North Africa in your scenario).

BTW I have to finish the Beta test of DLC 1944 West.
But do not worry your scenario made my dream come true, at least a world vision of WW2, I shall play until the end.
Sparatacus

Post by Sparatacus »

Hey RobertCL - some great points and thanks for nice comments :D

Yes I would like to include the Naval purchase mod at some stage - maybe even have as an option so theres a 'vanilla scenario' and a 'modded scenario'

More neutral countries - yes definitely would be cool but the editor (unless I'm missing something) is limited and even when you invade North Africa etc; with Allies then Axis units spawn and because Axis units spawn then Allied units spawn as well lol so not sure how to overcome this. Also no specific Swedish, Spanish, Turkish troops etc - maybe modded ones? I'm not sure. But yes Im thinking about it for future update :)

Yes strength 5 units are on purpose - so the axis isn't too strong for AA in Normandy especially since the A.I always wants to attack hard out with planes in this region! Alas you can upgrade these units to strength 10 easily - again not sure if I can stop this I'm still learning the editor as well lol!

I'm hoping that the Axis is competitive against Russia and although Axis prestige is 1400ish a turn and Allies get 2500ish with smart convoy play as well as capturing more points to limit the Allies then hopefully Axis can if they play well can conquer USSR!

Let me know how you go I'm currently working my way towards Moscow but knowing that the dreaded winter and Siberian Reserves are arriving soon :(
RobertCL

Post by RobertCL »

I am using Redux sound mod 1.10 and historical flag mod.
I have music but no sound anymore during turn nr 2.
At the end of turn 2 the game crashed...

General comment: on the Eastern front I have too many units and the computer too so that outfalnking manoeuvres are impossible.
Sparatacus

Post by Sparatacus »

Hey Robert, I have had the game crash a couple of times but generally get many more turns than that and I save each turn! It takes ages to load between turns as there are many scripts. Multi-player games seem to fare better so maybe play a few turns then reload panzer corps? Sorry can't really help much here unless I can downsize scripts etc.

The Eastern Front is meant to be like that for the first few turns at least the idea is you have to punch out holes and then outflank, the Axis have superior experienced troops so it is possible!
RobertCL

Post by RobertCL »

I also noted a misspelling: you should have the city of Lvov and not Lvlv (27,100) if I remember well.

I shall purchase a lot of units only to invade UK to be sure my back is secured (ready to face Soviet hordes later on).
I also see that the desert war is not easy, Italian units are crappy and British units (strength are well entrenched!).

I am still convinced the mod allowing to purchase subs is mandatory if your strategy is to break the supply route of Murmansk.

I shall retry the turn, better to have problems now than at turn nr 90! :)

The scenario itself weights 922 KB in SCENARIO folder but the saved game weights 2.758 KB, is it normal ?
Sparatacus

Post by Sparatacus »

Sweet will change that name, eventually want to add river names etc as well.

With navy because you get limited amount you have to be very careful with it. Your only real option is to use air power if you want to dent the Allies navy otherwise its stealth attacks and trying to ambush, a lot of hit and run type stuff. Both combatants get some navy spawned in during game but its not much even so the navy race is slanted towards the Allies. You can repair your navy units and with the long amount of turns this is actually quite effective. So use some air power be careful with navy (esp Italian navy its not very experienced!) and repair units whenever you can afford it.

Ya the save game is about right I have a game at regular intervals from turn 5 to 30 which is 2.5mb ish the whole way.

I have added to first post as well - turns take ages at end so don't click everywhere (otherwise might crash) as it can take 2-4 minutes to complete the end turn cycle.

Yes the 'Rats of Tobruk' are well entrenched, during the initially siege Rommel actually went around them before coming back to them and they lasted something like 13 weeks fully surrounded. It was similar to Brest Fortress and Leningrad in Russia holding out so I have tried to replicate this in game.

With the A.I most units are set on defend - I may have to add script later in game that sets all A.I to attack :twisted:

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”