Maelstrom (US and Red Dawn campaign)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Re: Maelstrom (US campaign) **NEW OCT 2012**

Post by El_Condoro »

Thanks for your positive feedback, Shrike.

A couple of questions:
- did you play Operation 'Dragoon'? I recommend going back to your save of Anzio Breakout and taking that route to see if you like it. I did. :)
- did you play Bulge or Nordwind? I like Bulge better but just curious. If Bulge, how did KG Peiper play? I had trouble making him as powerful and dangerous as in RL.

I assume you got a DV at Germany ready to hold off the Red horde in Red Dawn. I am in the final testing phase of that (short - 6 scenarios) campaign but RL might make the release date stretch into early December.
Shrike
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Shrike »

Nah, haven't played Dragoon or bulge yet. Do you happen to have a campaign tree document like you made for Red dawn? I only have save games from the start of every scenario I've played, which means only the D-day route since I played that one after my full re-install. if only I had more free time ... but I'll surely get around to playing those maps sometime :)
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

The campaign tree is in the library, along with other stuff. No hurry. :)
Shrike

Post by Shrike »

Alright, got around to playing Dragoon and The Bulge today. I managed to clear out the entire map on The Bulge, without a single German ground or air unit left by turn 19. I control all victory hexes (well, in fact all hexes with a flag on the map) and click to make the game end on turn 20 and ... I get the "Allied surrendered" screen! Game over WTF :shock:
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

Were any of your primary objectives taken by British units - i.e. they had British flags at the end? If so, that's where the problem lies - I forgot to include the UK as being on the US side!! :oops: However, the message should have been "Loss" rather than "Allied surrender" but anyway...

Fixed here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16283408/Panze ... dennes.zip

Did KG Pieper cause any problems? - I really want him to be an issue even if he just runs out of fuel at the end as in RL. :)
Shrike

Post by Shrike »

Yes, one objective was taken by a Brit. I've tested the fix, but it doesn't seem to work on a saved game of turn 19. Do I need to replay the map or the entire campaign to see it work? KG Pieper did well, but his tendency to attack cities with defending infantry and ending up in forest hexes lead to his eventual demise. Did you prevent him from resupplying and reinforcing?
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

No, he's just a dumb AI unit that doesn't know that forests and cities are no good for tanks.

The fix will have to be played after Metz, but you don't need to play the whole campaign - it gets loaded after Metz.
Herald611
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Herald611 »

I have the files installed, but the campaign does not show up in the games menu at all - although all my other DLC is there.
I did use the JGSME to install it - is there some other tool?
huertgenwald
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by huertgenwald »

Herald611 wrote:I did use the JGSME to install it - is there some other tool?
For the mod campaign to show up, it should be installed in the directory

C:\Users\"UserName"\Documents\My Games\Panzer Corps\Mods

JGSME isn't helpful for that task, AFAIK.
Cataphract88
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Cataphract88 »

Herald611,

The way I did it was to place the 'Game Files' in: My Computer/ Local Disk C/ Program Files/ Slitherine/ Panzer Corps/ MODS.

The 'Scenario/Campaign Files' I placed in: My Documents/ My Games/ Panzer Corps/ Mods. I then initiate the mod through the GME.

Hope this helps.
Richard
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

As explained in the opening post: the game files (the 260Mb one) get extracted to the GME folder in the main Panzer Corps directory. It's in a different location for everyone so I can't be specific. Generally it would be C:\Slitherine\Panzer Corps\MODS. The campaign files go in \My documents\My games\Panzer Corps\Mods.
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

Is there any fix for the missing animations? I'm having a hard time enjoying the mod without knowing who is shooting..

Thanks
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

There is a fix that will be incorporated in the next update. For now, use this one. You can either install it to the GME and install it after the Maelstrom mod, or uninstall Maelstrom from the GME, extract this mod to the Maesltrom folders and then install the mod using the GME. Games already started should not be affected - except to add sounds and effects!

This fix is the result of the time and effort vPaulus put into making it - a huge thank you to him! :)
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

Thanks. Also, I noticed that using the real Sound Mod will work for about 90% of the missing animations
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

It can be, but El_Condoro uses custom units that I don't have in Redux. That was one of the things that I had to add.
After that fix there are two sounds and probably animations that are still missing... the mines. E.Condoro was using a specific sound and animation from another mod that I didn't knew.
But I'll try to look for those and post the fix here.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Restarted now that I got AK. Torch was no prob, but after three tries I'm still not able to beat Kasserine. Oh well, I think I'll just move on.

At least I got my first elite unit, an M10, looks like he has a str limit.

I find prestige quite tight early on, but that adds to the challenge. It seems you're better off with disbanding a couple of the weaker starting units before Kasserine, then use the returned prestige to buy something better unless you can upgrade cheaply.

Overall it's nice work and I found no major probs so far. :)
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

bebro wrote:Restarted now that I got AK. Torch was no prob, but after three tries I'm still not able to beat Kasserine. Oh well, I think I'll just move on.

At least I got my first elite unit, an M10, looks like he has a str limit.

I find prestige quite tight early on, but that adds to the challenge. It seems you're better off with disbanding a couple of the weaker starting units before Kasserine, then use the returned prestige to buy something better unless you can upgrade cheaply.

Overall it's nice work and I found no major probs so far. :)
I've made it to Anzio and I will tell you that prestige is not an issue. However, there seem to be limits as to how many core units you can deploy. It's at the point where I can only deploy half of my Army. Whats the point? Why not limit the aux units, and let the player utilize his core units?
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

@bebro: Yes, Kasserine can be a challenge. I intended it to be that way given it was a pyrrhic victory at best for the US. It can certainly be beaten, though - just be prepared to defend a lot in the initial stages before going on to the offensive.

@MikeAP: the decision to limit the core was partly to better reflect the historical army composition and also to limit the inevitable power of the core as compared to the auxiliary units - again for historical reasons. There is power in numbers (e.g. and this may be debatable, 5 cheap infantry are better than 2 with elite replacements) and so I wanted to restrict that, too. In the end, it was a personal decision based on the perception that a large core would encourage a less historical army composition and probably unbalance the campaign too much.
rousic
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by rousic »

Is it possible to capture enemy units in this campaign?
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

I did not progress that far with the current version, but there were captured units in the previous version of the campaign (which did start later than the new one). So my guess would be they are in here too. Of course, El_C will know for sure :)

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”