Maelstrom (US and Red Dawn campaign)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Maelstrom (US campaign) **NEW OCT 2012**

Post by MikeAP »

I was a few turns away from finishing the D-Day scenario when the game crashed (too much ass kicking, on my part..i know).

The D-Day scenario is freaking awesome. One of the best scenarios I've ever played.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

rousic wrote:Is it possible to capture enemy units in this campaign?
Yes, there are a few around - a Tiger at Anzio Breakout (so you can't take the D-Day route to get that one), a Panther at Metz, a King Tiger at Nordwind. The briefing usually says what you have to do to capture them. They are not full-strength units, though (5-6 strength).
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

MikeAP wrote:The D-Day scenario is freaking awesome. One of the best scenarios I've ever played.
Thanks! Yes, I enjoy this one, too. The counter attack of the 17SS PG is ahistorical as it says in the briefing. There weren't any decent units heading to Normandy until later than the scenario time frame. However, their brutal Carentan attack which came later gives the player some real nasties to deal with!
MikeAP
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by MikeAP »

El_Condoro wrote:However, their brutal Carentan attack which came later gives the player some real nasties to deal with!

Also, the mines around the beaches were a huge pain in the butt. It took me a second to realize that I needed to use my engineers to breach them. Once I was able to do that, it helped clear up the traffic jam
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Wel, I beat Kasserine, at least with an MV. The next one was a clear DV. The first German counterattacks were contained quickly, though I didn't anticipate the third one. It hit the Brits quite seriously in the flank, but my core was not harmed much.

I tried to play Sicily then, but ran into a major problem: the game throws me back to windows soon, always on an axis turn (either the first or the second). It could be my fault since nobody else seem to get this and I play with my own unit gfx mod on top of your campaign, but in the scns before it worked find. If I find no other solution I get rid of my gfx again...
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

Sorry, bebro, I can't offer any help - the mod is only tested as a stand-alone. It works consistently as such, although there were some early teething problems with Sicily that have been fixed.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

No prob, I'll just go back to the mod without any additional stuff :)
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Ironed out the prob, Sicily worked fine then. Got a DV, but only after several tries.

I found it overall a very nice, challenging scn.

Only two things:
1. Those enemy units popping up in the midst of your own around the most north-eastern VH - is it intendet? That was quite irritating.

2. There were two messages of counterattacks, the second was IMO nice as some kind of warning ahead (Tigers! etc.), but the first one (Ita-Ger counterattack) came after you've watched them attacking. Not sure if it's worth to drop in a msg in the latter case. Just a 'lil observation.

Looking forward to play the rest :)
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

Thanks for your feedback.

1. Hopefully fixed. I don't like enemy popping up in the midst either! Here is the updated scenario for anyone who wants to replay it (or play it for the first time) - just unzip to My documents\My Games\Panzer Corps\Mods\Maelstrom - US Campaign\Data folder.

2. The message says "are attacking" - it's just to give information. In most scenarios you see icons move and fire - a tank, infantry, whatever. This message tells the player the names of the divisions attacking to give a bit of historical immersion.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Maelstrom (US campaign) OCT 2012

Post by bebro »

Thx for the fix :)

Played beyond DDay now.

I have to admit I was quite overwhelmed by the invasion, and esp. the very tedious progress. I know it's historical, but still quite frustrating, and takes a long time to play. With limited time I abandoned most of the aux landing forces in the eastern part after a couple of turns, and took most VH's in the west using my core forces to settle for an MV. The main counterattack as quite diabolic though ;)

Two minor naming quibbles: Didn't look up again, but IMO it's "Point du Hoc" (not Ho_e_) (this was the only VH I took in the eastern half) and "Carentan" (not Car_e_tan)

After playing that far I have to echo what MikeAP said: I wished there was a larger core becoming available gradually, and less aux. Esp. since you fall back to 10 in Italy in some scns. It's such a nicely made and detailed campaign, but IMO it feels less epic with a smallish core /just my 2 cents of course, others may enjoy exactly that

One eqp thing: IMO in vanilla PzC there are some entries that need to be reworked, for example Hellcats being available 1943. That has probably been taken over from there. IIRC they were not used before 44. Dunno if you consider this worth changing though.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

I think this is a case of personal taste. :) Yes, getting off Omaha is tedious and takes time - exactly as in history. I found in my testing that it played out in three stages: hard slog getting off the beaches; difficult bocage terrain to get to closer objectives; race to get to furthest objectives whilst fighting off the counter attack. Personally, I like it.

Core size is likewise a personal preference - I like a smaller core. This is one thing that I would never be able to get "right" for everyone so I admit I didn't try to.

You're absolutely correct about those spelling errors - will fix.

Not sure about the Hellcats - like you say, I have just adopted the vanilla equipment for the most part.

Warning: if you found the going tedious at the beginning of D-Day, Cobra is even slower in the initial stages.
Shrike
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Shrike »

Couldn't resist another playthrough of your top-notch mod, but there's still a minor bug to be fixed.

airbornemongo101
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by airbornemongo101 »

Holy Floating Huns Batman!!!!!!! :shock:

The Kriegsmarine's supersecret and mysterious submersible Panzergrenadiers are finally seen :lol:
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
Shrike

Post by Shrike »

There was an artillery unit there as well with equal floating capabilities :D my own units can't enter the shallow sea though.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

I assume they were "pushed" out to sea by retreating after combat? I saw this numerous times in play testing - it's not something I can fix because it's allowed by the game itself.
Shrike

Post by Shrike »

Yes, they were. Strange that the game allows AI units into shallow sea but not the player's units. i assume the AI units don't manage to get back to shore by themselves either; at least, I haven't seen them make such attempt.
El_Condoro
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by El_Condoro »

i wonder what would happen if the AI forced player units to retreat into shallow water. I assume if they are adjacent to land they could move off but not if they retreat twice into a hex that is not adjacent to land, like your screen shot. Might test that out sometime...
Shrike

Post by Shrike »

But does the base game even support shallow water? I thought that was a modded in feature.
Anfield

Post by Anfield »

Been playing this for the last week, it rocks!! What a change from running German units, got a real asskicking early on, those green units and low prestige are a killer! I do like the little popups during the game with intel, nice touch. The small core was a bit of an issue, as was said above by someone, but not big deal. I just used a cheatcode to run it at 5 more units. Fighting up Italy right now, cant wait for D-Day in France lol

Thanks for making this, great work!!
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I downloaded the scenario and I installed the scenario with the GME.

This is what I did, with the 260mb file I placed that in my games\panzer corps folder under mods and also the scenario campaign files as well and the 260 mb in the gme

I think I am doing extra steps in this process.

Can someone explain to me in real basic terms the proper procedure for installing the mods?

Thanks

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”