Royal Hungarian Army - Turan Campaign v1.2 (Mar 23, 2016)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

rubyjuno
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Royal Hungarian Army - Turan Campaign v1.2 (Mar 23, 2016

Post by rubyjuno »

Interesting and informative reading, Uhu. I have played some of this campaign but not all due to that old enemy - time. Thanks for posting your thoughts and findings.
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Yeah, sure, thanks to Uhu for his feedback. :) At some point I will make a new version to fix the problems and to add some of those suggestions. But that old enemy, time, is indeed a problem, lol.
ImageImage
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=36969
jeff00t
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by jeff00t »

Hello, i m playing at he moment your campaign McGuba and it is very pleasant to play.

Thanks for all your work ! Your european mod is my favorite mod. It is so awsome
my custom single player mini-campaign in order of battle : normandie-niemen: Image
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Hi, hope you are enjoying it, have fun! :D If you have any questions or comments feel free to do so!
ImageImage
empedocles
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by empedocles »

Hi all. Mcguba, great campaign as always!

It's interesting to see the development of the scenarios, sometimes you have a hard time triying to achieve a DV and in the next scenario it's a piece of cake. I found the Budapest scenario a great and fun one to play.

I'm on spring awakening now and I have no clue what to do. Prestige is really low and the SS units are waaaaayyy expensive to replenish as appropiate. I'm stuck in the mud in turn 12 without much hope in sight. Any suggestions?

thanks!
empedocles
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by empedocles »

Forget my post. I managed a decisive victory on my second run.
The key is to focus on breaking the line in 2 or 3 points at most. West of sarosd and in Siofok. You can also move to Simmotornya at the same time.
It's important to gain air superiority so bring 2 fighters with you. You have time so don't rush trhough the defences as the germans are expensive to repair.
My biggest threat come from the north, I had to send some panthers there to finally break through and capture Buda by turn 27.

Great mod!
uzbek2012
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by uzbek2012 »

Version 1.2 this is the final or expect something else to add ) I Hope you can run Panzer Corps to version 1.31 !?

I love to play in local conflicts such as the civil war in Spain )
http://union.4bb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=8&p=34

Hungarian armored car 39M " Csaba»
http://www.globalwarnews.ru/kolyosnaya- ... -5929.html
Last edited by uzbek2012 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

empedocles wrote:Hi all. Mcguba, great campaign as always!

It's interesting to see the development of the scenarios, sometimes you have a hard time triying to achieve a DV and in the next scenario it's a piece of cake. I found the Budapest scenario a great and fun one to play.
Yeah, sure, I tried to make it a historically accurate campaign and as such some battles vere easier than others and the generals never really knew what to expect. Even then, the average difficulty does increase in the campaign to reflect the deteriorating situation of the Axis i.e. towards the end scenarios are generally harder.

I am also happy that most players seem to highlight the siege of Budapest scenario as I indeed made great efforts to do it properly. It is a largely neglected battle overshadowed by the Ardennes offensive which started around the same time, even though some historians claimed that it was the third biggest siege in WW2 (after
Stalingrad and Leningrad) in terms of its scope, length and importance.
empedocles wrote:I'm on spring awakening now and I have no clue what to do. Prestige is really low and the SS units are waaaaayyy expensive to replenish as appropiate. I'm stuck in the mud in turn 12 without much hope in sight. Any suggestions?
Forget my post. I managed a decisive victory on my second run.
Ah, ok, it is always better if players figure it out on their own. :D But yes, basically the key to success here is to keep up the pressure in the the south and the center despite the weather and prepare for the Soviet counter-attack in the north. Historically this battle was even harder as the German heavy tanks got stuck in the mud as soon as they left the main roads and then Soviet numerical superiority made its impact. Most of the German losses were operational - they just abandoned and destroyed their tanks which broke down due to the mud or mechanical problems. Perhaps those tanks could have been better used for the defense of Berlin.
uzbek2012 wrote:Version 1.2 this is the final or expect something else to add ) I Hope you can run Panzer Corps to version 1.31 !?
As I stated earlier, I do plan to update this campaign, but it will not happen in the near future. :(
I love to play in local conflicts such as the civil war in Spain )
Me too, it would be nice to have more of these! :)
ImageImage
uzbek2012

Post by uzbek2012 »

How to pass this card ? I literally crushed by the Soviet offensive, but I counted lose, I always won ! The complexity of the field Marshal ) and where the main enemy of the Hungarian "Soviet" Romanians ?
http://union.4bb.ru/viewtopic.php?id=971&p=17#p102085
The Romanians against the Germans. (photos and documents )
https://foto-history.livejournal.com/10956963.html

https://www.strategium.ru/forum/topic/1 ... nt-2558936

Romanian armored forces in the war against Germany and HUNGARY (1944-1945)
https://www.worldwar2.ro/arme/?language=en&section=18
http://tankfront.ru/romania/in-action/r ... rmany.html
http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/r ... ks-ww2.php
jeff00t

Post by jeff00t »

i suggest you withdraw until river and you hold position : russian must not cross the river.
my custom single player mini-campaign in order of battle : normandie-niemen: Image
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302
uzbek2012

Post by uzbek2012 »

jeff00t wrote:i suggest you withdraw until river and you hold position : russian must not cross the river.

Thank you your advice helped stole 30 their units . Now have been arguing keep all the main point against Soviet-Romanian offensive!
https://www.strategium.ru/forum/topic/1 ... nt-2560710
uzbek2012

Post by uzbek2012 »

Uhu
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by Uhu »

Hello,

It's my, partly playable, but not fully finished campaign. Read the descriptions in the topic about the difference to Turan campaign.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 47&t=42488
uzbek2012 wrote:https://www.designmodproject.de/panzer- ... arian-army
Tell this different mods or the same only divided into two parts ?
https://www.designmodproject.de/ru/panz ... i-campaign
limpart
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by limpart »

Hi McGuba,

I think your Turan campaign was one of the most enjoyable campaigns I have ever played in my long history of Panzer Corps/Panzer General games. It is easy to see the great effort put into it. Being from Felvidék, it is of course a different experience for me to fight for the lost territories, than to invade France with the Wehrmacht for example. So I tried my best to overcome the soviet steamroller. Really enjoyed the variety of scenarios, where some of them require patience and discipline, other bold and quick tactics. I think good artillery management is key as soviet troops are almost everywhere superior. To make good use of terrain is essential. When the Don river froze, I almost felt the chill, as I could not imagine, what will stop the reds now. And what a bloody, desperate battle came!
The moment when I heard the Karády song "Hiába menekülsz" (something like "No way to run") before the siege of Budapest was the most cathartic moment of the entire campaign. What a fitting choice!
My only problem is with this particular scenario, as I experienced, that shortly after the Viking SS arrives (or around that moment) the AI starts to buy insane amount of t34/85 tanks (with 120exp each). On General difficulty around 6 pieces every turn. I could reach an MV in the final round, but only because they had no chance to fight back for another turn, myself being the defender. I could squeeze in a badly damaged panther into Buda Castle. Although the roaring big cat over the burning city was a memorable sight (especially while looking down on the ca. dozen brand new tank units of the soviets), I think the prestige allocation in this scenario seems to be a bit broken. I had similar experience on Colonel difficulty, the AI spending around 2-3000 points/round. They just simply kill everyone under 3 turns, no matter what remained from the initial forces.
Other than that, it was extremely fun to play with the Hungarians, I deeply thank you for this experience!
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

Hi, and thanks for your feedback. It is nice to know that some people still play this mod these days. I must admit that in the last two years my main focus was on my other mod, the Battlefield: Europe one, but once I finish with the next release of that other mod, I plan to return to this one and to make an update for it, too. Mainly, I plan to add some of the many new units and modified game mechanics that I added to the BE mod recently, and also to fix some or most of the issues that surfaced since the release of this version two years ago. In the meantime, you might want to check out that other mod as well, if you have not done it yet. Of course it also features the Hungarian army, but shows the bigger picture of the whole war. In a way these two mods complement each other: while the "Turan" mod shows the struggle of the Royal Hungarian Army in detail, the BE mod can show how small it was compared to the whole war effort. And yet, Hungary did play its part for sure, and was in the top five countries when it comes to death toll as a percentage of population so the price was very high.

As for your particular question, I do not remember how it is, but I will look into it, and most likely change it as I also do not like crazy AI unit spawns and completely agree that it can ruin the gameplay experience.
ImageImage
Tassadar
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Royal Hungarian Army - Turan Campaign v1.2 (Mar 23, 2016)

Post by Tassadar »

Finally finished this one after quite while since I took a break before the last 3 scenarios, didn't feel motivated for some time. Overall one of the best mods I have played thanks to the great briefings, immersive messages and interesting objectives. I loved how you wait for decent tanks half the campagin, only to learn the development is delayed every time and the hope gets postponed further and further. :) Great attention to historical detail and for an equipment nerd like myslef the chance to use less popular planes like the Ju 86 was really rewarding.

As for scenarios, the final ones were interesting, but a shame I was not able to deploy my core fully or use it freely, at least in the "traditional" route. While more immersive and historical, I wanted to use that great new tanks, AT and artillery more when finally aquring them and I did not get many chances to do so. However, the game balance is perfectly fine, I never felt that things were too easy, boring or too difficuly. Only Siege of Budapest, by far the hardest scenario that took me ages to complete, was done in a way that was quite tricky, as AI kept spamming T-34/85's in each captured city, and coupled with the fact that Székesfehérvár is I think impossible to hold unless some insane rolls happen this can lead to some frustrating combat with units that appear out of nowhere. Still, losing Székesfehérvár and sudden spam of Soviet tanks, things ended up being not so bad. The AI for some reason chose to not encircle Budapest (apart from a few infantry units) and instead just swarmed westward towards the edge of the map, where no key objectives were located... :)
faos333

Post by faos333 »

This looks awesome, a definite play after Battle Field Europe
Battlefield Europe get the most from Panzer Corps 8)
Download the new 2.4 Mod here http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=47985
fgiannet
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by fgiannet »

Hello McGuba

This mod is a masterpiece. You really understand how to blend history with fun/great/exciting gameplay. This mod is brilliant in so many ways that I have to list them.

1. Mission difficulty variability. I love how some missions are very challenging and others not so much. It is typical for these types of games to make every mission more difficult than the last but that can lead to a repetitive WW 1 type of grind (find the enemy, setup artillery, conquer, go to next objective and repeat). I got a MV in Transylvania because I kept expecting that same old way of doing things (heavily entrench infantry backed up by artillery, etc). Once I realized there were only a few partisans I had a good laugh at myself! The Eastern Front has been like that so far and I think that ultimately leads to more strategy (because you do not know what is ahead).

2. I love trying to get the most out of the equipment (setting up ambushes with Bofors and CR 32, etc.). I am using Niehorster.org to have a historical order of battle and I have to be careful/efficient. I am playing on Rommel and have had to cannabalize some units occasionally. I can’t just keep buying replacements or new units. I have resolved to focus on preserving my units even if it means a MV or possibly a loss (I don’t want to know when that is unacceptable until it happens). I am currently entering Operation Little Saturn and will continue to not take any unnecessary risks or put the units at the slightest disadvantage. It is a very interesting situation/simulation. When a T-34 slipped behind my lines it was a real problem (no Stukas, no 88s, etc.).

3. Cooperation with the German Army is a great element. I did not even try to cross the river, towards the end of the encirclement of Kiev, until the 14th Panzer Div showed (that isn’t what I wrote in my official report to Hungarian High Command though!). Look at what I have to work with and look at what one German Pz Div brings....we will probe around and look busy but aren’t hurling our troops into the river. It is informative to see these Hungarians fighting so hard with equipment (inferior quantitatively and qualitatively) and contrast it with the 14th Panzer Division demolishing everything in its path. It would be tempting to make the scenarios Hungarian only but the German cooperation makes it much better. The DV at Nikolaev was only possible because of the timely arrival of LSSAH (I would have taken a MV and been fine with it).

4. The modest core in relation to the forces deployed is brilliant. The core is deployed and acts as an organic unit. That is a wonderful historical element. I remember looking at the map for the river defense, the mission before Operation Little Saturn, and immediately thinking “I will move a regiment of infantry North from the Infantry Division to the South but I will not put the 1st Armored Division in there to be trapped.”

5. The immersion of the music, the heroes (with write ups in the library!), and the incredible attention to detail. I can only afford three aircraft and have all the elements of the 1st Armored Division with a few core slots extra. I thought about putting the 101st and 150th Corps FA Battalions down but looked, oh McGuba already has them and they are well placed! You are awesome. That just shows the depth of your amazing attention to detail. There are some auxiliary heroes who aren’t in the library though and it would be great to know more about them. I love hearing about the people and what their lives/decisions were after the war.

6. What a great tool for learning you have created. I knew very little about the Hungarian Armed Forces in World War 2 and your mod has been wonderful mental exercise. It has been great reading about the development of the equipment (some of it very ingenious!) as well as the transformation of the Mobile Corps into the 1st Armored Division along with the little changes made to augment the formation (the addition of a second AA Btn with some 80mm AA guns, 2nd Artillery Btn even though there was only one infantry regiment). This thread has been very educational as well. You do a wonderful service shining a light on an often overlooked participation/aspect of WW2 (along with the brave people who had to live through it).

You, good sir, are a master craftsman and I am incredible grateful I have been able to play your Hungarian Mod.
Thank you very much.
McGuba
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by McGuba »

fgiannet wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:35 am Hello McGuba

This mod is a masterpiece. You really understand how to blend history with fun/great/exciting gameplay. This mod is brilliant in so many ways that I have to list them.
Hi, thanks for the compliments and the detailed feedback! :)

I am happy that some people find this interesting and yes, one of my main goals with modding was to put a bit more spotlight on the less known role of Hungary and the other minor Axis nations in WW2. It is also a kind of a virtual memorial to my grandad who served in the Mobile Corps and then in the 1st Field Armoured Division as a motorized infantry squad leader until early 1943 and took part in most of the events depicted in this mod until that time. His stories greatly inspired me to do all this. :)

By the way, I was about to release a new version of this mod this summer but had to postpone it for some time for being busy at work. Hopefully I will be able to do so later this year. I was planning to update it to the current standards of the Battlefield: Europe mod when it comes to unit icons/graphics/sounds/game mechanics etc. as now it is a bit outdated compared to the BE mod. I will also try to add some more historical heroes' bios to the library. I am happy that some find it interesting. I was also fascinated to learn how their life continued after the war (given that they survived). It looks like those who decided to escape to the west had easier times than those who remained.
ImageImage

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”