Guille's PzCorps Support Base - Multipurpose Icons and more.

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

guille1434
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: Guille's PzCorps Support Base - Multipurpose Icons and more.

Post by guille1434 »

Hello to all:

First in a series of "renewed" (and also, may be, totally new) icons of Soviet aircraft, including the ones in their "landed" configuration and also their SE-camouflaged siblings... This time, a little, but rugged and brave warrior of the air: the Polikarpov Po-2. Enjoy!!

EDIT: New, improved versions... (I'm a perfectionist, heheh... :roll: )
Attachments
Polikarpov Po-2 Unit Pack.rar
(143.57 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
SE_Polikarpov Po-2-landed.png
SE_Polikarpov Po-2-landed.png (19.9 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
Polikarpov Po-2.png
Polikarpov Po-2.png (21.22 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

And here are two more early war Soviet fighters: the MiG-1 and MiG-3. For now, just the regular icons for the "standard" versions. Those icons were made taking as a basis the icons previously released by Bebro. Later, you will get SE versions and the "landed" icons... Now, it's time for me to get some work done, because I have to pay my bills... :? :D
Attachments
Sov_MiG-3.png
Sov_MiG-3.png (18.11 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
Sov_MiG-1.png
Sov_MiG-1.png (19.51 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Here are a new pack of MiG-1 and MiG-3 icons, which includes the SE icons and all the landed variants... :D
Attachments
Sov_MiG-1-landed.png
Sov_MiG-1-landed.png (18.68 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
SE_Sov_MiG-3.png
SE_Sov_MiG-3.png (21.33 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
MiG-1 and MiG-3 Pack.rar
(137.9 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Some more variations on the German Hauptquartier icon theme...
Attachments
Opel_Blitz_Hauptquartier.png
Opel_Blitz_Hauptquartier.png (40.82 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
Opel_Blitz_Stabswagen.png
Opel_Blitz_Stabswagen.png (26.32 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Hello:

Some variations for the Studebaker US6 in Soviet service...
Enjoy!! 8)
Attachments
Sov_Studebaker_US6_U3-trailer.png
Sov_Studebaker_US6_U3-trailer.png (31.72 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
SE_Sov_Studebaker_US6_U3-canvas.png
SE_Sov_Studebaker_US6_U3-canvas.png (23.49 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
Studebaker_US6_U3 Unit Pack.rar
(242.77 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Here we have a heavy land transport unit. The Faun L900 9-ton truck, in general cargo and tank transporter versions. The problem with assigning land transports to motorized land units is that the transport unit takes the fuel value of the transported unit, thus negating one of the advantages of having land transport for tanks, which is extend its range before a refuel stop. At least, the tank transporter can be made faster (on roads) to be able to give better strategic mobility to tanks when there are no railways or rail transport available...

Anyone has an idea how to circumvent the "one fuel tank for all" effect?? :-)
Attachments
Faun_L900_PzII.png
Faun_L900_PzII.png (31.46 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
Faun_L900.png
Faun_L900.png (30.35 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
cw58
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by cw58 »

guille1434 wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:06 pm
Anyone has an idea how to circumvent the "one fuel tank for all" effect?? :-)
Hi Guille. There is a solution (more like a work-around) but maybe not a very good one. You can judge if it meets your needs. I did a quick test and it seems to work. I will explain below:

1. I used a Pz IIID for the test unit. I linked it (switched) with a newly-created transport unit.
2. Make the transport unit a class 15 (air transport). Air transports don't use fuel.
3. Make sure the transport has fuel = 0 in equipment file. It will move without fuel but if you give it a value, it will use the fuel of the tank unit (because of #4 below). The "one fuel tank for all" problem, so 0 fuel value. Also ammo=0 though I don't know if it matters.
4. Give the transport wheeled-movement (value=2) and soft ground target type (value=0), same as the Opel Blitz. All other values can be as you determine.

The transport unit can be attacked by enemy ground units and can be bombed by enemy aircraft. So it acts just like a regular ground transport except it uses no fuel.

The down-sides?
1. The transport never uses or runs out of fuel. If your tank runs out, you can still switch to the transport and escape or continue forward.
2. You have an air transport icon in the unit info panel when you're in transport mode.
3. There may be others that I didn't discover in the quick test.

Hope that helps you or maybe some other modders.

Edit: Just did another check and this also works using the train class (18). This puts a train icon in the unit info panel instead of a plane icon, so slightly better :wink:
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Hello Cw58:

Thanks for your detailed answer! And yes, I also have thought about put the tank transporter in the train (18) unit class... The problem is that you will only be able to "mount" your tank while being in a city (or any hex map with the "railemb" trait, which can be modded by editing the terrain.pzdat file, but in vanilla game it's only city hexes). To class the transporter as an air transport is worst, because this makes that the tank unit can only be mounted on its transporter on airfield hexes. So, If I have to make a choice, I would go for the rail transport. To have unlimited fuel is another negative side-effect, but I don't think is a game breaker (we can figure that logistics are easier at the rearguard, so transport vehicles can be refuelled more easily that unis at the front lines).

Another, and more negative matter is: if your tank is positioned in a city hex, would it be possible for the player to make the choice of mounting its land unit on a train OR a tank transporter truck? Or is it that the game will only assign one type of "rail" transport. Another problem, if that I think the player has to edit all the scenarios he wants to play with tank transporters to add this new type of transport, because the rail or air transport availability is defined by the scenario parameters and not "associated" by the player when purchasing or upgrading the tank unit in question. So they cannot be "bought" by the player, but only defined by the campaign/scenario maker.

Bottom line, I think the "solution" of making the transporter a regular land transport unit type is the "less negative" approach to the matter, even bearing in mind the pesky "one fuel tank for all" side effect... :-( It can give the tank unit the only advantage of faster movement (just on roads) but all the other problems are avoided.

A question: Is it possible to make a transport unit switchable? The Germans had a Faun ZRS heavy wheeled tractor that could go on regular pneumatic tires or steel wheels for traveling on rails... Could be useful for some special types of very heavy artillery...

And another one: Can the terrain.pzdat file be edited by adding new hex types? For example, could it be possible to add a "road" type hex and give it the "railemb" trait, making possible to "embark" the tank on its transporter not just in city hexes but also when positioned in one of those new "road" type hexes?

I think I have to make some game-testing... :-)

Thanks again Cw58 for taking time in writing down an answer to my question and making tests!!
cw58

Post by cw58 »

guille1434 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:40 am
A question: Is it possible to make a transport unit switchable? The Germans had a Faun ZRS heavy wheeled tractor that could go on regular pneumatic tires or steel wheels for traveling on rails... Could be useful for some special types of very heavy artillery...
I guess I wasn't very clear in my explanation. The idea IS to make the transport switchable with the transported unit. In my test, I would start with the Pz IIID, switch to the Faun L900, then back again. As many times as I want, in any hex I want. To make the transport organic (like an Opel Blitz), there would be too many limitations which you have already mentioned. Using rail (18) as the class type and wheeled (2) as the movement type, allows the transport to go anywhere a truck can go; not limited to just railroads.

So there is no change to the unit you want to transport. But you need a new unit to switch to, in this case, the Faun L900. That is the unit that needs rail class, wheeled movement, target type soft (or hard) and no fuel.

This new unit should show up in the scenario editor as a viable rail transport but it would have to be inserted by the scenario designer to be available in-game. I would need to do more tests.

So to summarize:
You would need a new transport (switched) in the equipment file for each unit type you want transported. e.g.: Pz IIID + switchable transport, Pz IIIE + switchable transport, etc.
It doesn't embark/disembark because it's a switchable unit.
The transport will act just like a truck although it uses no fuel.
Of course, you would need to add your icon to the units folder and a line in the efx file. The same .png could be used multiple times depending on how many tanks,etc. would get special transport.

I will consider your other ideas/comments when I have more time. I hope I explained it better this time :)
Last edited by cw58 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cw58

Post by cw58 »

I'll post the entries I used in my equipment file. I randomly chose the Pz IIID for the tank. And I used the Faun_L900png because I like it better :)

6064 Panzer IIID 1 250 13 35 4 2 0 5 4 6 0 1 8 8 2 1 0 Panzer_IIID.png 01.12.1938 31.12.1946 0 primary Pz III 8000 sea rail
8000 Faun L900 18 250 0 0 8 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 6 0 0 0 Faun_L900.png 01.12.1938 31.12.1946 2 nopurchase 6064 sea rail

The stats for the transport are arbitrary, the values of importance are rail class (18), target type (soft=0) and movement type (wheeled=2).

And many thanks for all the cool unit icons. :D
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Ahhh! Now I get the total picture... You configured a switchable tank - tank transporter unit! In this case, one has to add the regular tank units AND another unit consisting of the same tank model switchable to the tank transporter (this would be more expensive). Besides, I don't think it would be necessary to edit the scenarios, just add the switchable unit(s) in the eqp file and editing the efx file with the movement sounds. I think this is a winner! As I said, using no fuel is not a game breaker for me, and besides, any player who don't like this "system" can opt for not buying the switchable tank

Another question: Would this "tank switchable into tank transporter (class 18)" unit be able to embark in a regular train unit when placed in a city (it would be nice if at least it can do so when switched to tank)? ---> More testing! :-)

Besides, I have t tell you that I made a new icon for the new movement type I modded for heavy trucks used as tank tansporters: Heavy Truck class! Units with this type of movement will move well on road, cities, ports, airfields, desert and clear hexes, not so well on hills, and nearly not at all in other types of terrain, like mountains, dunes, swamps, forests, etc... So your tank transporters are limited to the road network and some very flat terrain. As I said, I made a new small icon for this type of movement, edited the movement.pzdat and strigs.pzdat files and it all seems to work ok.
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Cw58: As a way to say a big thank you for your help. I add here some bonus stuff for you, and also free for anyone to take:

- Another Faun L900 icon with a different canvas canopy. This one has an inclined roof, because I think the big canopy will accumulate rain and snow on it if it has a flat top. :-) Besides, this is more the canopy style I could see in the images found in the internet of this truck. I think it's better than the one "cloned" from the vanilla Opel Blitz icon, but now you can make your choice!
- A template with some different canvas covers, to "wear" your shiny, new Faun truck and give it some individuality!
- The icon for the new movement type

Enjoy and thanks again!!
Attachments
23.png
23.png (729 Bytes) Viewed 3268 times
Faun_L900_Canvas-ColorTemplate.png
Faun_L900_Canvas-ColorTemplate.png (43.07 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
Faun_L900(alt).png
Faun_L900(alt).png (37.68 KiB) Viewed 3268 times
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

When asking this question, I was talking about a land transport unit present on the map (of course, with a combat unit "inside") can be switched to another type of transport unit. I was thinking about a road transport / rail transport switchable land transport unit.

So, if you make a truck (unit class 14 = land transport) switchable into a rail transport, will it make the switch in game? Will it still carry the unit it was carrying before the switch? Will the game freeze or crash? I will make tests, but may be someone just tried the same, and can give some info on the subject.
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Another idea on the theme (sorry for ripple-posting, but I write them down as the came to my mind!). The regular tank units can be left just the way they are now, and give the "tank-transporter" switch capability just to purchasable (and also bonus) elite tank units!! This way, you can tall at a glance on the map, which tank units have organic tank transporters and which ones not, because of their different camo schemes.
cw58

Post by cw58 »

guille1434 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:28 pm Ahhh! Now I get the total picture... You configured a switchable tank - tank transporter unit! In this case, one has to add the regular tank units AND another unit consisting of the same tank model switchable to the tank transporter (this would be more expensive). Besides, I don't think it would be necessary to edit the scenarios, just add the switchable unit(s) in the eqp file and editing the efx file with the movement sounds. I think this is a winner! As I said, using no fuel is not a game breaker for me, and besides, any player who don't like this "system" can opt for not buying the switchable tank
Yes, that is the idea exactly and there should be no reason, that I can think of, to edit scenarios. And though you would have 2 new lines in the equipment file (for switchable tank and for its transport), you would only need 1 line in the efx file for each new, unique transport unit, no matter how many times you link it with different switchable tanks. (e.g., using the Faun L900 as transport for all medium tanks would require only 1 line in the efx line.)
guille1434 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:28 pm Another question: Would this "tank switchable into tank transporter (class 18)" unit be able to embark in a regular train unit when placed in a city (it would be nice if at least it can do so when switched to tank)? ---> More testing! :-)
I just tested this. The unit can embark/disembark trains in a city hex with rail, doesn't matter if in tank or transport mode; in either mode, it will do both.
guille1434 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:28 pm Besides, I have t tell you that I made a new icon for the new movement type I modded for heavy trucks used as tank tansporters: Heavy Truck class! Units with this type of movement will move well on road, cities, ports, airfields, desert and clear hexes, not so well on hills, and nearly not at all in other types of terrain, like mountains, dunes, swamps, forests, etc... So your tank transporters are limited to the road network and some very flat terrain. As I said, I made a new small icon for this type of movement, edited the movement.pzdat and strigs.pzdat files and it all seems to work ok.
The new movement icon looks nice. The new movement type should work with this idea; just replace the wheeled movement (2) with your new movement type (##).

Thanks for the goodies :)
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

Tank transporters on rail! Excellent news Cw58! Thanks for your time, game testing and detailed answers!!

With this new "Heavy Truck" move type, forget about crossing rivers, swamps, etc... while the tank is on the tank transporter... You have to look for a road bridge or bridging unit to cross, or switch back to tank unit and consume some fuel and a turn to cross the water obstacle (afterwards, the support crew will always figure how to ferry the empty truck in time for you to have it available again when you switch the tank back to tank transporter! hehe!) this will somewhat offset the "unlimited fuel" exploit. Besides, I think that big trucks like the Faun 900 had huge diesel fuel tanks and they had a considerable autonomy, so the "atomic inexhaustible fuel" effect is not a major issue in my opinion.

I'm glad you liked the goodies. :-) There will be more coming...

Best wishes!
cw58

Post by cw58 »

First, I realize that I am making a mistake. I've been using the Armored Train class (18) and NOT the train class (17). It appears that either class will work.
guille1434 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:56 pm
When asking this question, I was talking about a land transport unit present on the map (of course, with a combat unit "inside") can be switched to another type of transport unit. I was thinking about a road transport / rail transport switchable land transport unit.

So, if you make a truck (unit class 14 = land transport) switchable into a rail transport, will it make the switch in game? Will it still carry the unit it was carrying before the switch? Will the game freeze or crash? I will make tests, but may be someone just tried the same, and can give some info on the subject.
I can't make this work. It seems the primary unit being carried overrides the organic transport, not allowing that transport to switch. There's no crash or freeze but the switch button is grayed-out for the transport unit.

Edit: deleted a dumb idea :roll:
guille1434

Post by guille1434 »

I just managed to read your four-fold switch experiment. I thought you were overmaking it, you should achieve the same result with just three switches...
I can tell about a triple-switch that works like a charm, may be it helps, we can use custom move types to help with some "experimental" unit switching:

I configured an Ar-234 which can be configured with recon cameras or bombs, but just in the air base, not while in flight...

Switch 1: Bomber mission payload: Regular bomber stats, regular air type movement
Switch 2: Landed aircraft on base: Fuel same as above, movement = 0, any other stats value = 0, Unit class = 6 (structure). Movement Type: I created a new move type which allows said unit only to move on airfield hexes. So, if the aircraft is flying (i.e. not on an airfield hex) it cannot switch because the switch button is greyed out.
Switch 3: Recon mission payload: Better spotting, no attack values, just passive air defense (The Ar-234 had two rearward firing 20 mm cannon).

This way, when you are on an airfield, you can cycle without problem to all of the three switches, but after leaving the airfield, the switch button cannot be activated. This was developed from an idea from forum member Intenso82, who is making a terrific modding work.

Too bad organic transport units cannot be made switchable, because as I planned to make a transport unit for a towed gun, we would have avoided the feared "one fuel tank for all" effect...
So, I think a triple switch unit is mandatory: 1) Heavy siege howitzer (I'm thinking about capturable 30,5 cm Skoda M1916 siege howitzers) --> 2) Land transport (Faun ZRS on pneumatic tyres) --> Rail transport (Faun ZRS on steel railway wheels). I am working on some modifications on a scenario made by Nikivdd on the non-historical "Fall Grun", the invasion of Czechoslovaquia in 1938, to include in a custom half historical - half "what if" campaign I am currently (and slowly) working on :-)
cw58

Post by cw58 »

Hi Guille,

I've pretty much tried every variation I can think of to solve the problem of making a unit such as the Faun ZRS tractor (with road and rail movement) that is also capable of transporting heavy artillery.

Tried making a unit with a switchable (road/rail) organic transport but the game won't allow the switch (grayed-out).

Tried making a switchable (gun/rail move) unit with organic transport which only partially works. The rail movement will only equal the organic transport movement, no further. So not much use.

Tried multiple switches (the deleted dumb idea above). Even with 4 switches (which is possible), you will eventually find yourself stuck, unable to move or shoot without going back to a railroad. If you're not on a rail when you need to toggle/cycle past/through the rail mode, then you're stuck in whatever mode you're in. If that's road-mode, ok, just go to the nearest rail. If you're in gun-mode, you just became a static emplacement. :shock: (I should mention that I always give heavy artillery a move of 0. If you give it 1, then you can still limp on over to the nearest rail).

Sorry but this definitely seems to be a dead-end. But it was interesting to work on, thanks for the challenge. :)
cw58

Post by cw58 »

guille1434 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:58 am So, I think a triple switch unit is mandatory: 1) Heavy siege howitzer (I'm thinking about capturable 30,5 cm Skoda M1916 siege howitzers) --> 2) Land transport (Faun ZRS on pneumatic tyres) --> Rail transport (Faun ZRS on steel railway wheels). I am working on some modifications on a scenario made by Nikivdd on the non-historical "Fall Grun", the invasion of Czechoslovaquia in 1938, to include in a custom half historical - half "what if" campaign I am currently (and slowly) working on :-)
Just noticed this paragraph and it's a perfect example. Imagine this scenario: You load your gun on the truck and drive to a rail. You use the rail and arrive at the front line. You can now switch and fire from the rail but you need to get a little closer to the front lines so you cycle past gun-mode to road-mode and drive 4 kms off the rails towards the front. *When you arrive at the front, you realize you can't switch to gun-mode because you can't cycle through rail-mode. Why? You're no longer on the rails. :roll:

Also using this configuration [(I'm thinking about capturable 30,5 cm Skoda M1916 siege howitzers) --> 2) Land transport (Faun ZRS on pneumatic tyres) --> Rail transport (Faun ZRS on steel railway wheels)], after loading it on your truck, you can't use gun mode until you get on a railroad.

This is what led me to the 4-switch idea. I was thinking gun-->road1-->rail-->road2. So using this config and going back to our imaginary scenario: *When you arrive at the front (now in road2-mode), you switch to gun mode and decimate the enemy. They retreat and you decide to follow (switching to road1) and give support for your ground troops that are in pursuit. And then you realize you can't switch to gun-mode (cycling past rail and road2) until you find a rail. And that's why I deleted that earlier idea. :?

In using a road/rail switch, you'll always be stuck in the mode immediately before rail-mode unless you're on a rail. I'm just not seeing a viable solution but then my brain is starting to get a cramp. :mrgreen: If I'm missing something, please let me know.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”