IJA Campaign 1938-45, v1.0 plus install help available

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: IJA Campaign 1938-45, v1.0 plus install help available

Post by VPaulus »

And welcome back, rezaf.
Boy!, how I'm glad to see you back. :D
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

rezaf wrote:Hey there bebro, remember me?
'Fcourse :) Welcome back!

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. I'm not commenting on all, but some points:
Some general comments about gameplay in the campaign:
The only things I was a bit unhappy with were the victory conditions. Spoiled by the official DLCs, it was a bit sad that almost all DV/MV differences came down to either capturing the same objectives in less time or capturing more objectives.
I liked the briefings with the little maps on them, though they didn't read very Japanese - and a proper impersonator reading them aloud could have done wonders. But I think it's a good call that, rather than doing a poor job at "japanizing" the briefings, you just kept the "coloring" to a minimum and kept to your ropes. And, without access to a professional Japanese voice actor, you just left the briefings in text form. Once again, I think you made the best calls here.
Yeah, I'm probably not too inventive on that vic conditions part. Some things might still need rework or error correction - it's a prob of time mostly. For example, those Darwin conditions you mentioned.

As for the briefings, yeah - thought a long time about their tone, but in he end I dunno about Japanese language/culture and just making stuff up that an amateur like me *thinks* is th right tone could end up rather hilarious, so I dropped the idea.
Now, I'll give some specific comments about every level. I replayed them all (if neccessary) until I could get a DV, so this is the "optimal" path. Here's what I thought about the various scenarios.

SC1: Lake Khasan.

SC2: Khalkin Gol.
Personally found #1 not so hard (easy to say if you made it ;)), but yes, #2 was intentionally harsh. Might be toned down a tad, though it's always difficult to find the best way, and stay at least remotely within a historical framework. I'm impressed though that you played this until DV and didn't just settle for a minor. Very good job :)

After #2 it's a bit like a restart in the cam.

SC7: Singapore
Now we're talking. This one was just about perfect.
Room for maneuvering and different strategies, strong but not too strong opposition, time limit JUST right, what's not to like?
My only nitpick are the lackluster captured units (an AT unit without transport you cannot upgrade? Seriously?).
Probably should have paid more attention to the captured stuff - If I ever get around to update I'd include at least a TP and think about other types to capture - just wanted to avoide that the player ends up with Allied stuff as best parts of his core.
Closing thoughts:
While the first two scenarios are stinkers in my book, overall this was an outstanding and thoroughly enjoyable experience.
I liked your approach to special units, using stuff from the Navy and the lineup of units you provided in general.
Glad to hear that. Maybe I tone #1, #2 down indeed.
My only criticism lies with the bombers, which feel woefully underpowered. With powerful AA guns everywhere and usually significant fighter cover in the air, I hardly ever used my bombers except to soften up armor when I had managed to win air superiority. And even against armor they too often took losses - one time in the last mission my best bomber lost 6 str bombarding an isolated unit of mobile artillery. Ouch.
Yeah, seems to be related to PzC mechanics - IIRC land units get some ini boost when attacked from air, But yeah, could be worth to boost bombers a bit to balance it better and make them more useful
My apologies for the looooong wall of text, but if you bothered to read it, thank you, thanks for making the campaign and best of luck for whatever it is you're doing these days.

PS: I hope I haven't been too harsh after all.
_____
rezaf
No prob, and certainly not too harsh - constructive feedback is always welcome :) Thx!
rezaf
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by rezaf »

bebro wrote:'Fcourse :) Welcome back!
Thanks. :)
bebro wrote:Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated.
I was hoping feedback was welcome - when I create something, I always like to hear about folks actually making use of it (see DCS), and I was hoping the same applied to scenario/campaign creators.
bebro wrote:I'm not commenting on all, but some points
Fine, if you end up finetuning some stuff, that's great, but I know you have other things to do these days.
bebro wrote:Probably should have paid more attention to the captured stuff - If I ever get around to update I'd include at least a TP and think about other types to capture - just wanted to avoide that the player ends up with Allied stuff as best parts of his core.
I figured as much, but I don't think I ever put even one piece of the capturable stuff on my core for even a limited time. Except the Rolls Royce, which I used for three missions or something.
It's a minor nitpick, really, though.
bebro wrote:Yeah, seems to be related to PzC mechanics - IIRC land units get some ini boost when attacked from air, But yeah, could be worth to boost bombers a bit to balance it better and make them more useful
IMO, that's one of the artifacts that remains in PzC's mechanics. Battle is often TOO lethal, especially when at the mercy of the RNG. You can expect a walk in the park 0:5 and end up suffering a 7:3, or something along those lines. Or, an enemy attacking you on his turn can get a lucky roll and destroy half your formation. I know there's now cheats addressing both issues, but cheats are not core mechanics. If Rudankort was ever to make a PzC2, I'd hope for these things to be addressed at the very least. But I disgress, this isn't the right place for such discussion.
bebro wrote:No prob, and certainly not too harsh - constructive feedback is always welcome :) Thx!
I'm relieved you look at it this way. And, I have to thank you once again for making this great campaign. Thumbs way up! :)
_____
rezaf
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Just downloaded, and so far quite impressed.

At this stage I have played half of the first scenario, as I like to snoop around the files when I download a mod, before actually playing it.

My thoughts:

- First scenario quite good. That is until the huge Russian counterattack that basically murdered me in a single turn :cry: . Otherwise quite fun.
- I noticed that some buttons were labelled stuff like "IDS_DIFFICULTY_ADVANCED", which I can see is the work of v1.20. You may want to update this so that it says normal stuff, like "Advanced" rather than "IDS_sghjbahjakga"
- Why does fully DVing the campaign right through the Australia scenario lead you to Imphal? If the Japs got to Darwin, I'm sure they would have just won the thing?

Questions relating to design:

- How did you get those vanilla-style pics for the units when you right click on them, such as for the Ki-10 fighter?
- How were those extra attack animations made, or where did you get them from? In my next mod, basically everything will need a new anim.
- How to edit the library to display campaign paths etc.

Would like an update for v1.22/v1.23, but otherwise great job!

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Thx for the feedback. To answer your points:

- First two scns are quite difficult, esp. the 2nd. The cam gives you the chance to rebuilt from the 3rd again. However, noted that for a possible update, as others mention it too as over the top.
- There's an update that deals with the strings issue somewhere in this thread. I might have to check if there are some leftovers I forgot, but if you get those "IDS_..." a lot it's probably the older version.

- Big unit pics are 3d renders from the units I made. As those where done in 3d too it was just a matter of rendering a different view again. However, I moved away from this in the Soviet mod I made and took McGuba's way (bw pics) instead, as it's overall much less work, and gives IMO still a nice touch.
- There are some extra anims, but I made none myself. For example, the flametank's anims were provided by VPaulus (like extra sounds). Most anims are still vanilla
- Library files are in html, so if you know the basics there it's just some editing work

I'd like to update this and my USMC mod (which is rather outdated now as it does not use any of the more recent features of PzC) too, but for now other things have priority so I can't promise it. I also still hope that at some point we get an update of PzC that eliminates the need to use GME (maybe with SovCorps), which would (hopefully) make things a lot easier.
BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

If you'd like, I'd be able to fix the 'IDS_fhfbfh' issue for you.

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Thx but as said the little fix some posts back should cover that already. If not I have to check anyway if I missed something there.
MarkusParkus
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by MarkusParkus »

Hello Bebro,

I would like to kindly ask you, if I can use your e-file and graphics with some slight modifications (movements, ranges) as source for Asian units in my Yet Another World Map mod. ( viewtopic.php?f=147&t=50338 ).
The proper credit would be given of course.

Thank you very much in advance.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

No prob, feel free to use what you like (for nonprofit mods) :)
MarkusParkus

Post by MarkusParkus »

Thnx.
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

Hello. IM a big fan oh Panzer corps series. . Ive just start to play in IJA campaign. Please alex could you send once again the link with Optional Downloads:
Japanese hero pics and additional IJN rank gfx

link below is empty!!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/y704ki
(simply overwrite folders from archive to IJA Redux folder to install)
your sincerelly Peter
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

Hello. IM a big fan oh Panzer corps series. . Ive just start to play in IJA campaign. Please alex could you send once again the link with Optional Downloads:
Japanese hero pics and additional IJN rank gfx

link below is empty!!!!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/y704ki
(simply overwrite folders from archive to IJA Redux folder to install)

so please send the link with Japanese heroes pics and additional JN rank gfx
your sincerelly Peter
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Hi,

unfortunately I don't have these gfx anymore, and I don't know if the creator (alex) is still around. The campaign is fully functional without them though.
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

Hi Bebro. Thank you for your answer. I wrote to alex , maybe he still has this. IM very glad that pacific mod campaign is avilable, Im waiting for Battle of order: Pacific too!!:) cheers Peter
alex1960

Post by alex1960 »

Hi, Guys!

I'm here again!

Thes is new download link for Optional Download (upgraded version):
https://www.sendspace.com/file/fyr5pt

simply overwrite folders from archive to IJA Redux folder
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

Hi Alex thank you very very much. Im testing asahi campaign..incredible!!! very good mod greetings Peter
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Thanks Alex. This time I make a backup of these ...;)
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

Soon Ill write small reviews about IJA campaign
Last edited by calmhatchery on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
calmhatchery
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by calmhatchery »

Hey Everything work fine. Now the heroes and awards works fine!!! Thank you so much firends for fenomenal amazing ASAHI mod campaign..Very very interesting mod....greetings to you!!
prince_blucher
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by prince_blucher »

Hello, I'm having difficulty installing the game.
So, I downloaded the 3 files and installed them in the \MODS folder. However in GME I am seeing 3 folders:

1. IJA Redux;
2. IJA v1_0 Redux Campagin; and
3. IJA v1_0 GME.

When I enable any of these in GME I can't see the mod in PzC. So which is the correct "mod" to enable?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”