Stony Road campaign

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

MickMannock
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Stony Road campaign

Post by MickMannock »

Update 2012-06-12 The campaign is done. I updated the download link below.

Introducing the Stony Road campaign for Panzer Corps - an expansion for the PzC vanilla campaign.

The Stony Road. I recognize that name from somewhere.

Indeed. There is a Historical Stony Road mod for a game called Hearts of Iron. I am in no way affiliated with the crew that created that mod. However I liked the name, as it indicates that it takes a path that follow the basic outcome of the war. I’m not very fond of the ahistorical scenarios like the invasion of the USA or GB. I removed the word ‘historical’ since I opted for not removing any of the ahistorical scenarios already included in the vanilla campaign.

So what’s this Stony Road then?

The Stony Road campaign expands the vanilla campaign with both custom made scenarios by me and scenarios that I've modelled after scenarios from the Panzer General campaign.

For example Operation Barbarossa is split into three different paths. In the vanilla campaign you fight with Army Group Center. In Stony Road you get to chose between fighting with Army Group North, Center or South. AGN and AGS are scenarios created by me.

AGN: The scenario takes you through the Baltic states towards Pskov. After that you move to the Kiev scenario and is on track with the vanilla campaign again.

AGC: Follows the vanilla campaign path.

AGS: First scenario takes you through the southern parts of the Soviet Union and ends up on the western bank of the Dnieper river. You then get to form the southern pincer in the Kiev scenario, instead of the northern pincer as it is in the vanilla campaign. After Kiev you won’t be fighting for Moscow but instead head for Rostov at the end of 41.

The vanilla Normandy scenario have been scrapped. In my opinion it is the weakest map of the entire vanilla campaign and fails utterly to simulate the invasion and breakout of Normandy. Instead I decided to recreate the Overlord (invasion of Normandy) and Cobra (breakout from Normandy) scenarios from Panzer General to replace the vanilla Normandy map.

The Stony Road also includes the scenarios created for the Mannock map pack (Crete, Sevastopol, Kharkov, Dragoon and Market-Garden).

All in all it’s 10 new scenarios, 3 created from scratch and 7 modelled after Panzer General scenarios. On top of that you also get the modified Kiev scenario where you form the southern pincer.

The Stalingrad scenario is also modified slightly to reflect that you have already captured Sevastopol in it’s stand alone scenario.

I have comments and suggestions for this campaign.

Please post comments and questions in this thread or pm me your comments.

Where can I download it?

Click here to download.

How do I install it?

Just unzip all the files into your mods directory.

Is there a campaign flowchart?

Yes, there is. It's a bit messy but I hope and think you can all get the basics out of it.

http://www.2shared.com/document/fm-xDwi ... download.
Last edited by MickMannock on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Re: Stony Road campaign [BETA]

Post by nikivdd »

Congrats with the campaign. Is it possible to post a little flowchart?
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Congratz Mick! :)
MickMannock

Post by MickMannock »

nikivdd wrote:Congrats with the campaign. Is it possible to post a little flowchart?
Yeah, my wife is actually doing that. She's not quite done yet though. I'll post it when it's done.

And thanks. :)
VPaulus wrote:Congratz Mick! :)
Thanks! :)
airbornemongo101
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by airbornemongo101 »

Can't wait.

I loved your 1st campaign add-on
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
MickMannock

Post by MickMannock »

airbornemongo101 wrote:Can't wait.

I loved your 1st campaign add-on
Well, feel free to jump onto the beta. I could sure use some feedback regarding balance.

I'll be throwing up an updated version tomorrow or by Thursday (fixed some odd ends KievSouth scenario, and rebalanced the amount of prestige the AI gets on AGN, AGS and Rostov scenarios), so you might want to wait for that however.

And thanks, glad you liked it. :)
MickMannock

Post by MickMannock »

The Stony Road campaign beta is updated.

Fixed some issues on the KievS and Overlord scenarios.

Rebelanced the prestige given on some scenarios.

To download, click on the link in the original post.

And if anyone is playing this, please post or pm your feedback. :)
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Hi Mick,
I only just started, i'm now in Norway. Which is the first scenario where you made any changes?
MickMannock

Post by MickMannock »

nikivdd wrote:Hi Mick,
I only just started, i'm now in Norway. Which is the first scenario where you made any changes?
First scenario that comes up in the campaign that is made by me is the Crete scenario (a scenario based off of the Crete scenario from Panzer General).

But what I mostly need feeback on are the new scenarios created by me from the ground up. The relevant scenarios are:

Army Group North (you can chose it after Crete scenario)
Army Group South (you can chose it after Crete scenario)

KievS (you will get it after Army Group South scenario)

Rostov (you will get it after KievS scenario)

I will try to upload a campaign map tree as soon as possible.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Okay, thanks for the info. I'm a bit in between projects, so it is a good opportunity to try out yours. I arrived in Belgium in the meantime. I am playing on FM difficulty.
MickMannock

Post by MickMannock »

nikivdd wrote:. I am playing on FM difficulty.
Oh, that is very interesting. I'm not skilled enough to play on that level of difficulty, so it will be interesting to hear your view about the difficulty of the scenarios.

And please keep a save before you end the Crete scenario. That way when you chose either AGN or AGS, you can later reload and take the other route. If you have the time that is. :)
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

The victory conditions aren't shown in the first scenario of AGN. The ones for AGC and AGS are present.

In the meantime i finished Pskov. I got a MV on turn 18/22.
The most difficult factor in my advance is not the enemy but the rivers. The two main rivers don't allow to encircle and destroy the enemy.
To take Kaunas i could use my bridge engineer to attack the enemy from the rear but to take Riga and Daugapils i had no choice but to attack headon, using my Ju88 and Bf110's to soften up the enemy.
Pskov in the end was one of the easiest to take, just like Talinn and Ventpils. A VH, as i learned myself, at the border of the map can be a pain for there is no possibility to encircle and the enemy has very limited place to spawn a new unit. My fighters are worth their value in the beginning but when the initial defences are rounded up, i couldn't use them before i took the airfield at Daugapils. Probably my mistake since i never upgrade my Bf109e's to f. I only lost one unit, at the very beginning, a pioneer, some others ended up in bad shape after attacking Riga and Daugapils.
If you need to know something else about this scenario, feel free to ask.
MickMannock

Post by MickMannock »

nikivdd wrote:The victory conditions aren't shown in the first scenario of AGN. The ones for AGC and AGS are present.
Yeah, seems like I forgot to add that. Thanks for the info. I will fix it for the next update.
nikivdd wrote: In the meantime i finished Pskov. I got a MV on turn 18/22.
The most difficult factor in my advance is not the enemy but the rivers. The two main rivers don't allow to encircle and destroy the enemy.
To take Kaunas i could use my bridge engineer to attack the enemy from the rear but to take Riga and Daugapils i had no choice but to attack headon, using my Ju88 and Bf110's to soften up the enemy.
Pskov in the end was one of the easiest to take, just like Talinn and Ventpils. A VH, as i learned myself, at the border of the map can be a pain for there is no possibility to encircle and the enemy has very limited place to spawn a new unit. My fighters are worth their value in the beginning but when the initial defences are rounded up, i couldn't use them before i took the airfield at Daugapils. Probably my mistake since i never upgrade my Bf109e's to f. I only lost one unit, at the very beginning, a pioneer, some others ended up in bad shape after attacking Riga and Daugapils.
If you need to know something else about this scenario, feel free to ask.
Seems like it was quite challenging then. Perhaps even a bit too hard? You played on the highest difficulty though, so I suppose it should be hard at that level.

I have tried to make AGN a bit easier than AGS, to reflect the fact that AGS ran into a lot heavier Russian tank forces in the south.
airbornemongo101

Post by airbornemongo101 »

Thx for the work Mick.

Unfortunately I'm putting on the finishing touches (fixing mistakes and ommisions) for SS-GTPG (equip and efx files ) and don't have the time to play,but when I do this is gonna be the 1st new mod I play.

Keep up the good work
....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain.......and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.

Always remember, Never Forget:

Box 8087

5 - 5 - 5 - 5
MickMannock

Post by MickMannock »

airbornemongo101 wrote:Thx for the work Mick.

Unfortunately I'm putting on the finishing touches (fixing mistakes and ommisions) for SS-GTPG (equip and efx files ) and don't have the time to play,but when I do this is gonna be the 1st new mod I play.

Keep up the good work
No worries. Take your time. And good luck with your own project. :)
MickMannock

Post by MickMannock »

I've created a flowchart for the campaign. Look at the first post for download link.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

MickMannock wrote:I've created a flowchart for the campaign. Look at the first post for download link.
Thanks Mick, it will prove handy.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

AGS.

I kept my savegame and took the AGS mission.
I must say it is nicely done, i was once surprised by the T-34 counterattack where i lost my green PzIIIH. There are enough turns, so i didn't have to rush the units towards the last objectives.
Most objectives could be attacked from different sides which made me happy.
I got another MV in 18/22 turns.
I have 6 Panzers in my core, 4 art pieces, 5 fighters, 2 level bombers, 3 fighter/bombers (no stuka's),a whole bunch of infantry units, 2 AA units and a recon. That includes the 3 SE units as well.
MickMannock

Post by MickMannock »

nikivdd wrote:AGS.

I kept my savegame and took the AGS mission.
I must say it is nicely done, i was once surprised by the T-34 counterattack where i lost my green PzIIIH. There are enough turns, so i didn't have to rush the units towards the last objectives.
Most objectives could be attacked from different sides which made me happy.
I got another MV in 18/22 turns.
I have 6 Panzers in my core, 4 art pieces, 5 fighters, 2 level bombers, 3 fighter/bombers (no stuka's),a whole bunch of infantry units, 2 AA units and a recon. That includes the 3 SE units as well.
That's good to hear. I want the AGS scenario to be a bit nerveracking, given all the Russian tanks that are deployed.

In my experience the 88's really help out in the AGS scenario.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Finished Kiev South today. It went better than expected, despite i could not deploy my entire core.
At Cherkassy i crossed the river in round 2, at Kremenchug at round 3. From there pure blitzkrieg and encircling victory hexes.
I didn't commit any of my core units to take Kiev, there are plenty of auxiliaries to do the job.
I finished the mission in 10/23 DV. No units lost.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”