Guide: core import, export of linked campaigns

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Guide: core import, export of linked campaigns

Post by nikivdd »

Guide how to import and export your core in a linked campaign. I decided to write it to give players better insight of this system and additional help how to import/export your core from one part to another.
A linked campaign has the advantage that you can publish parts of your project and link them together with a GUID (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globally_unique_identifier).
I am using my project as an example.

1) Construction of such a linked campaign.

I have a project of 6 parts. GTPG1 to 6. As an example i will use 5 and 6 in detail (also with the screenshots)
The directory tree looks like this:

under \mydocuments\mygames\panzer corps\mods
Notice the 6 parts present in this directory. Now the most important question is: how do i link them together? Or in terms of playing: how can i export my core of GTPG5 and import it in GTPG6?

Every GTPGX has the following directory structure:

Notice the data folder which contains the scenario's, campaign.pzdat and briefings. Custom e-file mods will contain more folders like graphics and UI folders and even a custom e-file. But since this mod works with the vanilla e-file the tree is rather simple.
Notice the GUID.txt file. Disregard campaign,install and update_log.txt, they are info files i wrote for the players and have nothing to do with the linked campaign explanation.

The guid.txt contains only one line: {76a0c7e8-beec-45f0-85cc-012f1da265ed} . This is actually the "phonenumber" for GTPG5. If you want to link any other project with GTPG5, you need to know its "phonenumber".
You can "dial" GTPG5 by placing it in the campaign.pzdat file of the next part, GTPG6 or even in any other mod that uses the vanilla or a compatible e-file.

This is the campaign.pzdat (in your data folder) of GTPG5 that defines all the scenarios and their briefings of this part. Encircled in red is the obligatory line END_SAVE_CORE that will save your core after scenario 025.pzscn for achieving a MV and a DV in this case. I prefer to write a player friendly debriefing that notifies the player that his core is being saved, like in following example:

Your core is saved and linked to the GTPG5 "phonenumber".

Also the line entry points have to be written correctly. Rostov is the first label of the campaign tree and thus the first scenario to play. Description is the description of this part for an easier selection after you selected "more campaigns" in the game menu, just as display which is the "headline" above this description. Side 0 is for axis, Country 0 is Germany. The amount of prestige put here is important for players who do not chose to import a core. After display name you write your "linked campaigns" in an all saying title: whole GTPG campaign or Carl's grand campaign or whatever you like to name the entire project. Then it is followed by the "phonenumber" of GTPG5 and once more END_SAVE_CORE.

This is the campaign.pzdat of GTPG6. Notice encircled in red the "phonenumber" of GTPG5. Now GTPG6 knows that it is allowed to dial GTPG5 and ask...hey buddy, can i use the core you saved at the end of your campaign tree?
Encircled in green is that GTPG6 will save the core just as GTPG5 did, the only difference here is that it will only be saved by achieving a DV. Also important, GTPG6 also has a guid.txt with its unique "phonenumber" to be used in GTPG7 or in any compatible mod.

2) Once construction is complete, the following screens show what should happen.

Start new game.

Select more campaigns

Select GTPG6 and click on play.

Select or deselect parameters and select difficulty, then click on play.

GTPG6 dials GTPG5 and asks if it can use its saved core. As player you can decide whether to import the core or not. When chosen not to, you should be able to start this part with a preplaced core.

Then you receive the first briefing of GTPG6.

And eureka! The core saved at the end of GTPG5 is now ready to be placed during the deployment phase of the first mission of GTPG6. Time to kick some ass ;).
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Guide: core import, export of linked campaigns

Post by VPaulus »

Great guide.
Thanks a lot Nico. :D
I'll add to the stkcy Mods in the guides section.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

VPaulus wrote:Great guide.
Thanks a lot Nico. :D
I'll add to the stkcy Mods in the guides section.
It's a pleasure as always :)
I'm certain it will save a lot of time for anyone making a linked campaign.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

Very helpful, esp. for longer campaign with lots of scenarios. You don't have to do all in one, but can release them in parts for testing, and to please the masses before they get impatient and start rioting ;) :)
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

bebro wrote:Very helpful, esp. for longer campaign with lots of scenarios. You don't have to do all in one, but can release them in parts for testing, and to please the masses before they get impatient and start rioting ;) :)
Yup, this was definitely our intend, and the DLC structure is built on it.

If we made the entire Grand Campaign from 39 to 45, we wouldn't have released any of it until probably... May. Instead, now we portion it out in reasonably sized pieces, each at a much lower price than the WHOLE package would be, which allows our players to pick and choose exactly what they want to play, and gets it into the hands of our players much sooner.

Everybody wins. :D
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Kerensky wrote:
bebro wrote:Very helpful, esp. for longer campaign with lots of scenarios. You don't have to do all in one, but can release them in parts for testing, and to please the masses before they get impatient and start rioting ;) :)
Yup, this was definitely our intend, and the DLC structure is built on it.

If we made the entire Grand Campaign from 39 to 45, we wouldn't have released any of it until probably... May. Instead, now we portion it out in reasonably sized pieces, each at a much lower price than the WHOLE package would be, which allows our players to pick and choose exactly what they want to play, and gets it into the hands of our players much sooner.

Everybody wins. :D
Kerensky, maybe you have the answer to the following problem:
Sometimes i get a question about "why in a particular part, no opportunity was given to import the core from the previous part". Sometimes it is solved when i send my savecore but not always.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”