[Axis Campaign] GTPG v1.18 FINAL (26/12/22)

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

nikivdd
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Re: [Axis Campaign] GTPG v1.12 (16/03/14)

Post by nikivdd »

GTPG.png
GTPG.png (37.72 KiB) Viewed 6768 times
My oh my :)
https://www.facebook.com/NikivddPanzerCorps
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2lyeEuH_hoA1s7tnTAEJQ
preadr
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by preadr »

Your work for this mod is really fantastic :D :D :D :D
My best compliments and regards
TJLionheart
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by TJLionheart »

Agreed, awesome work.
Magic1111
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by Magic1111 »

TJLionheart wrote:Agreed, awesome work.
Yes, agree too! :D
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Thanks guys :)

In the meantime the 1030 DLs is already old new :twisted:
joe6778
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by joe6778 »

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I found this to be more of the same old Panzer Corps/Panzer General BS. Early scenarios laughably easy, latter scenarios insanely difficult and tedious even on medium settings with the AI lowered to 80%.

I was able to build up my core with much experience, many leaders, and great units. I was able to win a DV at Moscow in '43! And then the Retreat from Moscow scenario and the ensuing slaughter. After four turns of sitting back for five minutes at a time watching my units get destroyed by hundreds(!) of Russian units and 30 or so aircraft, I surrendered. After all, I captured Moscow the scenario before but this had absolutely NO EFFECT on Russian prestige or morale- their units were more numerous and more powerful than ever and they were able to cut through my units like butter.

What's the fun or challenge in this? What strategy or tactics can you possibly employ to stop the slaughter? Stand and fight? No way. Fall back to area C and Smolensk? Yes, and watch my army disintegrate along the way.

I've about had it with PzC and the mods: Exercises in futility. No fun. Spending hours upon hours of building up your core just to watch it being destroyed. Strictly for fanatics and hard core fans. :x
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

joe6778 wrote:I've about had it with PzC and the mods: Exercises in futility. No fun. Spending hours upon hours of building up your core just to watch it being destroyed. Strictly for fanatics and hard core fans. :x
I'm fairly sure that not every mod is like this. Sure, there are difficult ones, but aren't there also easier ones? Also, have you tried lowering the difficulty? (WWI spends most of its time equal in difficulty to around Rush to Moscow (1941)'s level, and provided you can be successful in the 1918 offensive, your core will not be run over)

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

joe6778 wrote:Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I found this to be more of the same old Panzer Corps/Panzer General BS. Early scenarios laughably easy, latter scenarios insanely difficult and tedious even on medium settings with the AI lowered to 80%.

I was able to build up my core with much experience, many leaders, and great units. I was able to win a DV at Moscow in '43! And then the Retreat from Moscow scenario and the ensuing slaughter. After four turns of sitting back for five minutes at a time watching my units get destroyed by hundreds(!) of Russian units and 30 or so aircraft, I surrendered. After all, I captured Moscow the scenario before but this had absolutely NO EFFECT on Russian prestige or morale- their units were more numerous and more powerful than ever and they were able to cut through my units like butter.

What's the fun or challenge in this? What strategy or tactics can you possibly employ to stop the slaughter? Stand and fight? No way. Fall back to area C and Smolensk? Yes, and watch my army disintegrate along the way.

I've about had it with PzC and the mods: Exercises in futility. No fun. Spending hours upon hours of building up your core just to watch it being destroyed. Strictly for fanatics and hard core fans. :x
Thank you for your 2 cents :)

If you win Moscow 43 decisively, you have the choice to move to the western front. Perform well there, and you can eventually invade England and the US.
The key to victory for the retreat from Moscow scenario is to move westwards in several columns, each head and tail are panzers and self-propelled AT units. The auxiliary units should be sacrificed; they are there to keep the Soviets occupied as long as possible. Use your airforce to attack the Soviet spearheads once they start coming after your core army.
GTPG was developed during the time when the editor didn't have all those trigger and script gadgets and with v1.14 rules. In concrete, if i wanted the AI to move somewhere on the map, i could only guide the Soviet horde by placing primary objectives on the map. The AI was pretty lame and to compensate this shortcoming somewhat, was to give it an abundant amount of units.
Some official content for PzC received the same arguments and statements as you have written. For example, why the British still come up with so many units and prestige in the scenarios after they were decisively beaten in El Alamein in the Afrika Korps add-on. I guess that content, whether it is official or user-made, have their pros and cons; some like it, some don't. What matters to me is that I had a lot of fun creating this campaign, despite the many times that the lame AI drove me crazy.
hs1611
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by hs1611 »

nikivdd wrote:What matters to me is that I had a lot of fun creating this campaign, despite the many times that the lame AI drove me crazy.
Well, for what it's worth here are my 2 cents:
"What matters to me is that I had a lot of fun playing this campaign, despite the many times that the lame AI drove me crazy."
Andrea69
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Andrea69 »

Hello Niki

I am trying to edit the Spain scenario to add some italian units to my core, but It seems impossible for me to do it.

Using the scenario editor I changed some italians from Aux to Core units, but when I reload the scenario they are vanished from the screen (they come back if I reverse them to Aux).

I tried to increase the core units number in the Scenario Parameters but again the italian core units do not appear... So is there any way to do it?

Thanks for any help.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

Andrea69 wrote:Hello Niki

I am trying to edit the Spain scenario to add some italian units to my core, but It seems impossible for me to do it.

Using the scenario editor I changed some italians from Aux to Core units, but when I reload the scenario they are vanished from the screen (they come back if I reverse them to Aux).

I tried to increase the core units number in the Scenario Parameters but again the italian core units do not appear... So is there any way to do it?

Thanks for any help.
In order for the Italian core units to appear on the map, each one of them must have the time trigger [1,1] and none of them can be placed on a deployment hex.
You can give them the time trigger, by shift-left click on the unit, edit trigger, add time condition and then you fill in both fields 1; repeat this for every unit.
TangSooDo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TangSooDo »

I try not to get sucked into these controversies, but I have played every version of Panzer General except Star General, right up to the present mods available here. I have gone on record as saying I prefer a good playing game to an "historically accurate" game. Now, it seems I will be contradicting that record, but in fact the Wehrmacht and Germany hadn't a prayer of prevailing against the Soviet Union and the western allies in WW2, although they had dramatic success for the first two years. Isn't that's what modeled when the later scenarios become so difficult? Should the model rather have Nazis taking over the world? Maybe for game play's sake there should be a chance, but shouldn't it be damned difficult?
Andrea69
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Andrea69 »

In order for the Italian core units to appear on the map, each one of them must have the time trigger [1,1] and none of them can be placed on a deployment hex.
You can give them the time trigger, by shift-left click on the unit, edit trigger, add time condition and then you fill in both fields 1; repeat this for every unit.[/quote]

Ok, thank you very much :wink:
joe6778
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by joe6778 »

Chodan wrote:I try not to get sucked into these controversies, but I have played every version of Panzer General except Star General, right up to the present mods available here. I have gone on record as saying I prefer a good playing game to an "historically accurate" game. Now, it seems I will be contradicting that record, but in fact the Wehrmacht and Germany hadn't a prayer of prevailing against the Soviet Union and the western allies in WW2, although they had dramatic success for the first two years. Isn't that's what modeled when the later scenarios become so difficult? Should the model rather have Nazis taking over the world? Maybe for game play's sake there should be a chance, but shouldn't it be damned difficult?
Sure. I, too, love history- not fantasy. But we know the Germans lost WWII so what's the point of playing a game if you know it just turns out bad for you in the end? What's the point of building up all that prestige and getting strings of DVs if your forces are just going to get slaughtered to represent the historical outcome?

The idea should be that you're trying to change history. Why would I play a game on the losing side of a military disaster if I had no chance to change the outcome? After all, in this campaign I took Moscow, Poland, Norway, Crete, Greece, France, England, Holland, etc., and it had absolutely NO EFFECT on the outcome of the war for Germany??? Not even to slow up Russian production?
joe6778
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by joe6778 »

nikivdd wrote:
joe6778 wrote:Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but I found this to be more of the same old Panzer Corps/Panzer General BS. Early scenarios laughably easy, latter scenarios insanely difficult and tedious even on medium settings with the AI lowered to 80%.

Thank you for your 2 cents :)

If you win Moscow 43 decisively, you have the choice to move to the western front. Perform well there, and you can eventually invade England and the US.
The key to victory for the retreat from Moscow scenario is to move westwards in several columns, each head and tail are panzers and self-propelled AT units. The auxiliary units should be sacrificed; they are there to keep the Soviets occupied as long as possible. Use your airforce to attack the Soviet spearheads once they start coming after your core army.
GTPG was developed during the time when the editor didn't have all those trigger and script gadgets and with v1.14 rules. In concrete, if i wanted the AI to move somewhere on the map, i could only guide the Soviet horde by placing primary objectives on the map. The AI was pretty lame and to compensate this shortcoming somewhat, was to give it an abundant amount of units.
Some official content for PzC received the same arguments and statements as you have written. For example, why the British still come up with so many units and prestige in the scenarios after they were decisively beaten in El Alamein in the Afrika Korps add-on. I guess that content, whether it is official or user-made, have their pros and cons; some like it, some don't. What matters to me is that I had a lot of fun creating this campaign, despite the many times that the lame AI drove me crazy.
Although I'm frustrated at the outcome, I was impressed with the quality of this mod. The intros and post battle reports were well done, and up until this last battle, the campaign was exciting and challenging. All in all this was a very high quality product and it was FREE! Great job. 8)

I just wish previous battles had an effect on the outcome. After all, I conquered Poland, Holland, Belgium, France, England, Greece, Crete, and Moscow! It's the same with all the PzG and PzC games, expansions, and mods.

I'm still searching for the ultimate strategic computer wargame.
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

A tweaked campaign.pzdat file.

A DV/MV in the Moscow 43 scenario moves your army to the western front, just on time for Operation Sealion '45.

Extract and copy the content of the folder into the GTPG Grand Campaign_Handpick_v1.12 folder after you made a back-up of that folder.

I gave 15000 PP, but i cannot say if it suffices or not. You can always give yourself extra prestige if the amount i gave would not suffice.
GTPG.rar
(3.99 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
joe6778
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by joe6778 »

nikivdd wrote:A tweaked campaign.pzdat file.

A DV/MV in the Moscow 43 scenario moves your army to the western front, just on time for Operation Sealion '45.

Extract and copy the content of the folder into the GTPG Grand Campaign_Handpick_v1.12 folder after you made a back-up of that folder.

I gave 15000 PP, but i cannot say if it suffices or not. You can always give yourself extra prestige if the amount i gave would not suffice.
GTPG.rar
Is this a cheat? I would really like to beat this campaign as others have if it is possible. I could always play on lower difficulties, but I chose only to tweak the AI prestige to 80% on normal difficulty. I could also just skip Moscow 43 and go directly to Sicily, correct? That one seems extremely difficult as well.

Also, in regard to the tips you gave to win this one, the overwhelming Russian air power devastates my core ground units unless I counter with my fighters (losing most of my air power in the process.)
nikivdd

Post by nikivdd »

It's not really a cheat. Possibly this should have been the case all along that a win in Moscow '43 moves the army to the Western Front for Operation Sealion '45. So this little tweak removes the multiple choice.
joe6778
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by joe6778 »

I tried following your directions for the tweak after Moscow 43, I wasn't taken to Sealion 45. I don't know if I did it right. Must I win a DV in Moscow 43?

I was able to win a DV in Moscow 44, but I lost a few very good core units in the process. I believe that Russians units are way too powerful at this stage of the war- if Moscow was taken in 43, would they still have been able to produce their most powerful units, overstrength, in overwhelming numbers? This is what frustrates me about the game.

Anyway, I have to fight the Russians yet again for the next scenario of the campaign in order to advance.
joe6778
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by joe6778 »

I had to surrender REDFURY 44 after two turns. My prestige was down to 191, I already lost four core units (and I was already short 8 core units that I couldn't field at the start) with many others severely weakened, 24 Russian planes against my handful of fighters, enemy units popping up everywhere behind my lines. I just don't feel like going through this again. :|

I would REALLY like to see a video playthrough showing how the expert players win these scenarios on high difficulty.

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”