Scenario Design

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

4p0int
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Scenario Design

Post by 4p0int »

Sherman VS Tiger!
Gentleman, is there anyway that you include the facing(front or rear) of a unit in the combat computations? As an example the Sherman VS the Tiger Tanks. Tot to toe, the Sherman was no match. But it's greater numbers and it's speed to get BEHIND the TIGER, was it's strength! A strength we are not able to exploit in this game, as far as I can see! By adding a couple of buttons to the UI sidebar( Change facing-do Not change facing )would my suggestion to start. I do have other Ideas as to the rules to face changing if you are interested? I am no Modder or programmer, so I'm not sure if it's even possible, but I think it would bring more realism to the game, if possible.
Thanks for your time,
4p0int
hmshood
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by hmshood »

Well done!!...impressive...
promytius1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by promytius1 »

I just added this game to Steam, and tried the editor for the first time - when I go to the manual I see maps like the real game - when I go to the editor I see BlitzKrieg type maps -remember the AH Board game? I see no units, no actual terrain; what am I missing? The road only goes diagonal, there are no mixed terrains, there are no units! ?
Thanks.
huertgenwald
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by huertgenwald »

Please tell us step by step, how you try to open a map with the editor.
Tell us the result (if any). Then we might be able to help you.
promytius1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by promytius1 »

Open a map? There is a blank one at the startup, and that is what I refer to. Am I to understand that the default blank map is NOT the one to be using?
Thanks.
Oh, steps: start program - look at screen! :)
promytius1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Scenario Design Just To Be Clear

Post by promytius1 »

promytius1 wrote:Open a map? There is a blank one at the startup, and that is what I refer to. Am I to understand that the default blank map is NOT the one to be using?
Thanks.
Oh, steps: start program - look at screen! :)
Here is what the manual says and what I see - why is it so different?
VIEW1.jpg
VIEW1.jpg (59.61 KiB) Viewed 15847 times
VIEW2.jpg
VIEW2.jpg (60.4 KiB) Viewed 15847 times
Thanks.
huertgenwald

Post by huertgenwald »

That's why i asked. What you see here (last pic) is an EMPTY map !

To open a map, you'll actually have to OPEN an EXISTING map !

I'll list what you SHOULD do instead.

Goto the menu "File"

Select "Open". You'll see, that the editor want's to see "pzscn" files.

In the file select box first switch to your PzC installation path. (in your case probably the C:\Steam\steamapps\common folder)

Second, open the "Data" path inside your PzC Installation.

Here you'll see a plenty of maps to select from (maps from DLCs are in their respective folder).

Select a "pzscn" file, click "OK" are you're set to go !
huertgenwald

Post by huertgenwald »

To create a new map:

a) place some tiles and units to you convenience and save the map

b) open an existing map, save it under a DIFFERENT Name and MODIFY this new map.

HtH
promytius1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by promytius1 »

Thank you for that clarification - why does then the manual say THIS is what you see? Bad manual! :) I will try opening a file and see what happens. People should write manuals as if they really expected the reader to follow their words, and the words were lacking in clarity, specificity and accuracy; just plain sloppy, in my opinion. Thanks again for your clarification.
promytius1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Scenario Design -Dead Horse

Post by promytius1 »

stillnot1.jpg
stillnot1.jpg (102.59 KiB) Viewed 15838 times
Well that didn't work either- as you can see the lefthand side is still the big clunky terrain thingies. Tell you what, I give up. For me this is a dead horse; I'll go back to designing tic-tac-toe sheets. Sorry for the bother; apparently I'm just too stupid to design anything; just as well; I'll get over it. Thanks, really!
huertgenwald

Post by huertgenwald »

Place some hexes on an empty map.

Then select from the menu "Tools" : Generate Tiles ! :shock:

Then you'll see the result you expect. :wink:

You could search the forum for a "How to" of scenario editing
or contact some of the other modders in this subforum.

HtH :roll:
promytius1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by promytius1 »

Huertgenwald - thanks! They could also scrap the editing manual and write one that accurately describes what you will see and actually helps you, rather than puts you off and confuses you. I gave up because of the stupid - seriously - manual. How can you trust a document that **starts out** wrong?
Good luck with your editing.
OLDSOLDIER70
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by OLDSOLDIER70 »

Hi,
Just started looking at Editor. Under 'Place Units" How come under "Filter", the only "faction" I am seeing is "Italy". What am I doing wrong?
OLDSOLDIER70

Post by OLDSOLDIER70 »

Hi,
I am having trouble with a design feature related to tanks. Generally, only the French used tanks as close support to infantry units, thus the relatively short range of the weapons. Germany, especially later in the war, had long range main gun capability. They could "kill what they could see". Why doesn't the game allow Tigers, for instance, to in engage targets at range, instead of moving to adjacent hexes? They really should have the same capability as artillery, except as line-of-site.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

You can edit the equipment files to change the range. It can have some unexpected effects, so use with care. So for example, you might give your Nashorn range 1, then it can fire without a return shot. But that makes it probably too powerful, so you could try a switch between normal stats and long range sniper mode with range 1, move 1 (it has to spend a lot of time setting up the shot etc).
I use something similar for AT guns. It was intended to allow them to provide supporting fire by switching to artillery mode with 1 range, 1 move and the same combat stats as in AT mode. They then provide useful suppression against armour with a few kills for heavier huns, but it also allows them to take shots without return fire. The Nashorn and marders become useful at last!
From experience, the rate of fire should be less than 100% as they are otherwise too powerful even without the +2 HA per star from AT class. 80% rate of fire seems about right for these AT, but you might want to use a lower rate of around 40% for long range direct attacks.
7TPTank
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by 7TPTank »

Can anyone tell me how to swich a unit's country? I want to change a British Hurricane fighter into a Free Polish one. Thank you!
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

7TPTank wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:14 pm Can anyone tell me how to swich a unit's country? I want to change a British Hurricane fighter into a Free Polish one. Thank you!
Copy the unit to a new line and change flag and ID on the copy
EquipM.jpg
EquipM.jpg (168.91 KiB) Viewed 5260 times
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
7TPTank
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by 7TPTank »

dalfrede wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:33 pm
7TPTank wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:14 pm Can anyone tell me how to swich a unit's country? I want to change a British Hurricane fighter into a Free Polish one. Thank you!
EquipM.jpg
Thank you for your kind reply! But I still don't understand how to open this page. Can you futher explain? Thank you!
cw58
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by cw58 »

7TPTank wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:45 pm
EquipM.jpg
Thank you for your kind reply! But I still don't understand how to open this page. Can you futher explain? Thank you!
If you are working in the scenario editor and just want to switch the nationality of a unit in a specific scenario, here's how to do it:

1.Place the British Hurricane fighter on the map
2.Hold 'Shift' down and left-click on the unit. This opens up a window that allows you to change parameters for the unit
3.In the 'Flag' box, use the drop-down menu and select 'Free Poland'

This doesn't change the icon but only the unit's "owner". If you're wanting a Hurricane with Polish markings, you would need to create a new unit. That involves quite a bit of work, beginning with the file Dalfrede posted above. But here's a screenshot of the unit parameters window:
editor pic.jpg
editor pic.jpg (382.59 KiB) Viewed 5236 times
7TPTank
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by 7TPTank »

cw58 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:51 am
7TPTank wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:45 pm

EquipM.jpg
If you are working in the scenario editor and just want to switch the nationality of a unit in a specific scenario, here's how to do it:

1.Place the British Hurricane fighter on the map
2.Hold 'Shift' down and left-click on the unit. This opens up a window that allows you to change parameters for the unit
3.In the 'Flag' box, use the drop-down menu and select 'Free Poland'

This doesn't change the icon but only the unit's "owner". If you're wanting a Hurricane with Polish markings, you would need to create a new unit. That involves quite a bit of work, beginning with the file Dalfrede posted above. But here's a screenshot of the unit parameters window:

editor pic.jpg
Thank you for your instructions. It works! :mrgreen: However, when I finish the scenario, I don't know how to launch into the game. Can you teach me how to do it?

Return to “Panzer Corps : Scenario Design”