Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

ianiow
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: Field of Glory II - Holiday 2017 Tournament

Post by ianiow »

Houston we have a problem...

In one of my matches with mhladnik I completed all my moves that turn and pressed the end turn button as normal but it kept on being timed out on its way to the server. On the third go, half of my opponent's forces disappeared. I saved game, realoaded, and whilst all the units returned on the map, all of my moves had been reset to the beginning and whats worse - I am now unable to move any of my units that I had moved previously (including 3 flank charges and several 'get the hell out of Dodge' moves). If I submit the turn now will all my cunning moves be lost?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

cyrano wrote:I'm a bit troubled that my game timed out and I received what amounted to a 150-0 loss even though PBEM++ never updated my turn.

It's not that I'd have won - my record suggests the contrary -- but I regularly checked for turns and never had one waiting for me. To receive zero points for the round seems inequitable...
Please email support@slitherine.co.uk
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

ianiow wrote:Houston we have a problem...

In one of my matches with mhladnik I completed all my moves that turn and pressed the end turn button as normal but it kept on being timed out on its way to the server. On the third go, half of my opponent's forces disappeared. I saved game, realoaded, and whilst all the units returned on the map, all of my moves had been reset to the beginning and whats worse - I am now unable to move any of my units that I had moved previously (including 3 flank charges and several 'get the hell out of Dodge' moves). If I submit the turn now will all my cunning moves be lost?
Please email support@slitherine.co.uk
Richard Bodley Scott

Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: The Rally Point

Post by Pixel »

@76mm I will try to watch for turns until the end (It is pretty late or should I say early here though). This week after Xmas has been a bit crazy both work and family wise. Still not quite sure what the best strategy for the Pontic side in this match up is but I think they have to manage to somehow use their larger numbers of light units and average spears to get around the Pergamene flanks or to catch their units out of position. The force composition is actually rather similar but the Pergamene force generally seems to have a smaller core of more powerful units (Warbands/Phalanx) and less units of Thureophoroi. The Iranian Cavalry that the Pontic side has also seem ever so slightly out-classed by the smaller mounted arm that the Pergamene list allows for. The Pergamene Cataphracts/Elephant combo is a particularly nice one and can be decisive. But both these armies do seem centered around slower infantry units and I do think there is a tendency given the normal custom battles to open up slowly before moving to contact especially on maps with lots of defensive terrain features instead of plains.

Oh opps I thought this was the thread on the holiday tournament......my bad.
Image Image
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

This may be a silly question but my round two opponent has not posted a turn for my second game since the 29th December and round three should have started by now. Do I need to "end stalled game" :? to finalize and start the third round game?
wolf blitzee
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by wolf blitzee »

No there is something wrong and 3rd round not started. See topic in general fog 2. Don't hit stalled game, not sure what would happen to your score. They say round 3 will begin soon.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

wolf blitzee wrote:No there is something wrong and 3rd round not started. See topic in general fog 2. Don't hit stalled game, not sure what would happen to your score. They say round 3 will begin soon.
If the support staff can't start it, it may have to wait till the main guy returns from holiday on 4th January.
Richard Bodley Scott

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

rbodleyscott wrote:
wolf blitzee wrote:No there is something wrong and 3rd round not started. See topic in general fog 2. Don't hit stalled game, not sure what would happen to your score. They say round 3 will begin soon.
If the support staff can't start it, it may have to wait till the main guy returns from holiday on 4th January.
No worries...it's all good. Thanks for clearing it up Richard.
mst007
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mst007 »

Been keeping an eye on the Tournament results page, I had noticed quite a few asterisks next to players names, and guessed that the asterisk meant the battle was not yet completed. Just before the New Year I saw my current game STILL had an asterisk even though I had finished that game, so I fired up and checked, the game was in my "Games Completed" area. All fine, says I. Today I logged in again and thought my I better check again in case of a problem at my end. Sure enough, once I launched the replay of this completed battle, and then clicked on "Glorious victory" the asterisk disappeared. Damn! It was my fault all along. Apologies to the tourney organisers for this, I hadn`t realised I had to re-open it from the completed games area.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

It looks like the 3rd round has begun. However, it still shows that this round began on December 31, and the next round will start on January 10.

I hope you can fix it so we have a full 10 days to play this round, otherwise there may be lots of unfinished games.

Thanks!
Scotty123
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Scotty123 »

were can i find a list of game tournament rules?? Thanks
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

The rules are posted in the original subject of this thread, on page 1 at the top.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

FroBodine wrote:It looks like the 3rd round has begun. However, it still shows that this round began on December 31, and the next round will start on January 10.

I hope you can fix it so we have a full 10 days to play this round, otherwise there may be lots of unfinished games.

Thanks!
Am I the only one that cares that this round started late, and should be extended to give us the full 10 days?

Is there anybody in there? Is there anyone at home?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

FroBodine wrote:
FroBodine wrote:It looks like the 3rd round has begun. However, it still shows that this round began on December 31, and the next round will start on January 10.

Thanks!
Am I the only one that cares that this round started late, and should be extended to give us the full 10 days?

I don't know whether it is possible to change the end date of a round after it has started. The man who does know is not back at work till tomorrow.
Richard Bodley Scott

Asterix_von_TWC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Asterix_von_TWC »

rbodleyscott wrote:
FroBodine wrote:

Thanks!

I don't know whether it is possible to change the end date of a round after it has started. The man who does know is not back at work till tomorrow.
Ok, just to report that I have no access to my game yet and neither doe PnzGen it seems
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Asterix_von_TWC wrote:Ok, just to report that I have no access to my game yet and neither doe PnzGen it seems
Please email support@Slitherne.co.uk
Richard Bodley Scott

Asterix_von_TWC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Asterix_von_TWC »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Asterix_von_TWC wrote:Ok, just to report that I have no access to my game yet and neither doe PnzGen it seems
Please email support@Slitherne.co.uk
And then the support guy does a typo which leaves me with two bounced emails :mrgreen:
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Latest update is that the round cannot be extended to make up for the missing first 2 days - attempting to do so would risk breaking the whole tournament irretrievably.

Code has now been put in place to retry to start a round if the original attempt fails due to coinciding with a server glitch. (Which is apparently what happened on 31st Dec).

I have asked the server controller to start Asterix/Pnz_Gren's game manually if he can.
Richard Bodley Scott

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Richard, if your opponent times out a game, is it counted as a win, or do you just get the points you have routed? In my timed out second round [second game], I received 13 pts [routed enemy] and my opponent 4 pts [routed friends] In all other timed out games, the player who processed the last turn received 75 points... In my case, the battle was a a critical stage and poised for the collapse of some big ticket items :) I waited for my opponents move during the 29th, 30th, 31st Dec but it did not eventuate. Was it the very belated millennium computer glitch that toyed with our perception of time rather than my opponents delay?, Did I do something wrong? Can you please clarify?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

GDod wrote:Richard, if your opponent times out a game, is it counted as a win, or do you just get the points you have routed? In my timed out second round [second game], I received 13 pts [routed enemy] and my opponent 4 pts [routed friends] In all other timed out games, the player who processed the last turn received 75 points... In my case, the battle was a a critical stage and poised for the collapse of some big ticket items :) I waited for my opponents move during the 29th, 30th, 31st Dec but it did not eventuate. Was it the very belated millennium computer glitch that toyed with our perception of time rather than my opponents delay?, Did I do something wrong? Can you please clarify?
In a timed out game, the non-timed-out player gets a bye score if the requisite number of turns have not been played, otherwise the score stands as it is. In this tournament that number of turns was set to 24 (counting the sum of both sides' turns). You guys obviously played more than 24 turns between you, hence you did not get the 75 points.

We might set the required number of turns higher in future. On the other hand, while in this game you were probably hard done by, in a game which was heading nowhere it would be hard on everyone else in the tournament if the non-timed-out player got 75 points, which could be a lot more than he would have got if the game had continued.

Unfortunately the server has no way of predicting the potential future of a timed out game.
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “News & Announcements”