Panzer Corps won't install on XP

Tech support for Panzer Corps

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Pak75
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Re: Panzer Corps won't install on XP

Post by Pak75 »

Once again nothing but bluster and obfuscation from Matrix. This game is designed for Windows XP - please see your own product page. You are now claiming that this is obsolete??
other Matrix products I have purchased such as Order of Battle and Scourge of War have all worked correctly after a fashion - no thanks to Matrix/ Slitherine which provided inadequate or none installation instructions.
Running as administrator.
JosephM
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by JosephM »

Hello Pak75,

Sorry, but if you are not happy with the support, but note that most users have no issues at all with installing or running the games. However I cannot stress the following to you enough: your version of Windows is, for lack of a politer phrase, horrendously outdated, and, again frankly, should not still be in use. Microsoft discontinued this product in April 2014 – longer than 5 years ago. At the time, as with all end-of-support Microsoft products, you are strongly advised by Microsoft to stop using this as it is no longer supported. Note than Windows 7 will also be in this same situation on the 14th Januray 2020

The game is not obsolete, and support for this is continued, but neither GoG nor the GoG version of the game have been tested on XP or are listed as being compatible with XP, and indeed GoG/GoG Galaxy does not support XP. We also stopped testing games on XP in 2014, so any games or patches released since do not support this. Our version as sold on our site may work on XP, and my colleague has tested earlier versions of the standalone game on XP, but you must fundamentally understand that XP is not supported by any company involved in this (GoG, Microsoft and ourselves) and you should not be using XP any longer.

However my colleague is offering help for this, so if you wish for our help avoid insulting us when we are trying to assist in supporting obsolete operating systems. However as we have no XP machine to test this on, then the only other solution we can offer is to fully reinstall Windows, then install the game, and then run this and see if the issue persists. If you continue to have issues, then unfortunately we don’t think that this will work on your PC, so you would need a new OS which is still supported by Microsoft, and to be honest with such a OS you would likely need to fully upgrade the PC or buy a new one as the hardware required for a PC to run XP is unlikely to run Windows 7, 8 or 10.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

By the way, I don't think I would even dare to connect to the internet with XP these days... ;)
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
Pak75

Post by Pak75 »

This aggressive “customer service” response does nothing to resolve the issue. If someone is insulted by my post then clearly they are oversensitive. There is a clear pattern of “customer service” ignoring my specific questions or feedback and merely giving generalist advice of which latest suggestion is that I reinstall Windows is typical.
Perhaps there is some sort of English language comprehension barrier?
Why would I reinstall Windows when it is operating perfectly and Matrix OoB and Scourge of War are running well? Should I buy a new car every time something goes wrong?
SFC scans are all good.
As the designers (I think) of Panzer Corps), I approached Matrix with the request for help. Many of the games in the Matrix portfolio were originally designed to run on Windows XP and this fact is clearly displayed in system requirements for these games. For “customer service” to be now disavowing all knowledge/involvement with this OS is mind boggling...

I have made my own research and found that the GOG application has new modification/feature of being able to save to Cloud, something that Windows XP does not support. This is likely the source of the dll error message I queried:
etwgetTraceLoggerHandle
Therefore unless this programme mod can be deleted or appropriate files deleted, the GOG game will not run on Windows XP. Another possible solution would be to send me copy Windows XP PanzerCorps.exe only for v1.3 as I have all other files from GOG, but I fear this would be too difficult.
I have spent quite a few $$ in last few months (please check) but I am unlikely to spend any more.

To PeteMitchell – thank you for your gratuitous comment. Yes, I am still running Windows XP with a good firewall/malware programme; i am in good company with the most of today's US Army and Navy…

In most people's world, customer service exists to help people.... but not at Matrix.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

sorry you still feel that your needs haven't been met, as one of the support members here i'm sorry for that, but there''s not a lot left to say which hasn't already been mentioned.

reinstalling windows XP and updating from new / scratch is still and the best sound advice which would sort out any issue than can't be fixed by running SFC scans etc and is always mentioned as a last resort, not a first post answer and reply session.

while i'm more than prepared to load a test pc with windows XP, i'm not sure that would help, as if it worked on mine, that's not to say it would on your's either, which is kind of the point most would say, as it all depends on what else is loaded and the hardware used and drivers installed, so it starts to get complex before even starting to go into other factors either, but would at least prove a point and then you'd see on a clean pc with the pre requites loaded and nothing else, for sure if it does or doesn't work for you, but then options are the same as advice also given, update to a working and supported version of windows, as this will happen in the end for all those who haven't updated as hardware fails and parts are no longer available to keep a old system running i'm sorry to say.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Pak75 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:46 am To PeteMitchell – thank you for your gratuitous comment. Yes, I am still running Windows XP with a good firewall/malware programme; i am in good company with the most of today's US Army and Navy…
Oh no worries, you are welcome... and no hard feelings, please!

Regarding the US army and navy, yes you are absolutely right, some still use XP or even older systems... and yes, some of their systems are really mission critical and some are not even directly connected to the internet either.

However, more importantly, until now it has just been easier for the Pentagon to pay millions or even billions to Microsoft to keep their XP up-to-date... I doubt your XP is identical to the XP used by the army... good luck! :)

Ah and by the way, you could load a test Windows 7 or Windows 10 version and see if it works there...
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
Pak75

Post by Pak75 »

HI
For the information of other Windows XP users, Microsoft has continued to support XP despite its published stance - see for example KB4500331 issued as recently as 9 May 2019.
Have managed to get game to run on XP ... hurray!
Windows 8 is available to me but it is on my work computer... :roll:
Cheers
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

glad your sorted and can now enjoy the game again

Return to “Panzer Corps : Tech Support”