Help needed! Mac version stopped working

Tech support for Panzer Corps

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

heinzrondorf
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Help needed! Mac version stopped working

Post by heinzrondorf »

Ok this is very weird. I am playing Panzer Corps (v1.30a) on a 2015 MacBook Pro Retina. Correction, I was playing it, because two days ago it stopped working. Everything has worked fine for one and a half years... but two days ago when I started the game, the logo and intro animations played, and then the screen went black. It's been that way ever since. I should say this problem only occurs when I run it in full screen. If I start the game in windowed mode it starts up fine. I don't want to play in windowed mode though, I hate it.

I figured there was some background setting in my macOS which has caused this and since I had not done a clean, fresh, install of macOS since 2016 I figured this might be a good time to do it and get Panzer Corps working (in full screen) as well. Imagine my surprise after spending a couple of backing up, reinstalling macOS etc and then, when the moment has come to try out Panzer Corps on my totally clean, fresh, install of macOS I still get the same result - the intro animations play, and then the screen goes black.

What the hell should I do? This is NUTS! :evil: :twisted:

What are other Mac users doing? Are you playing the native Mac version or are you using the PC version with some emulator? If so, how does that work and how do you get it to run?

Help is much appreciated!
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Re: Help needed! Mac version stopped working

Post by dalfrede »

heinzrondorf wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:28 pm What are other Mac users doing? Are you playing the native Mac version or are you using the PC version with some emulator? If so, how does that work and how do you get it to run?
PzC Mac Wineskin V0.93.doc.zip
(482.92 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Notes:
I purchased the PC version of PzC just before the Mac Beta.
The PC serial number works to install Mac version, I don't know if Mac Serial Number works for PC version.
The PC version does not play correctly in windows mode on the Mac.
Saved games from the Ipad or Mac versions do not load in the PC version.

I have not had anyone else get this to work, so feedback would be appreciated.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
heinzrondorf

Post by heinzrondorf »

pz_logs.txt.zip
Log
(1.6 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Thanks a lot for your help!

I tried Wineskin but unfortunately I did not get it to work. I followed the instructions but got a message saying “Oops! No new executables found!”. I tried different wrapper engines but I always got this message.

However, you inspired me to get the PC version (bought directly from Slitherine) to work using Parallels Desktop so that was nice. So I can confirm that you can activate the PC version using the serial number you got from the Mac version, at least if you bought it directly from Slitherine.

Performance seems decent but it kind of sucks playing the PC version on a MacBook Pro without a mouse since you cannot use the trackpad to zoom and there is no way to access the strategic map other than clicking the strategic map icon or F5 key. Or is there? On the Mac version, for all its flaws, you can right the click the strategic map icon in the bottom right corner and immediately bring up the map. I use that feature ALL the time…

Somehow I manage to get the Mac version to start about 1 out of 10 times without changing anything in between. Just by restarting the game over and over again. It is bizarre…

It does seems the problem with the Mac version is related to the graphics driver. I managed to get the attached log.
  • The first part/paragraph is what is saved when starting the Panzer Corps Launcher.
  • The second part/paragraph is what is saved when starting the game and the screen goes black. Seems to be a problem with the AppleIntelBDWGraphicsMTLDriver…
  • The third part/paragraph is the game shutting down after I ALT-TAB and quit it by force.
It seems to be a problem with the graphics driver which also affects other games… I found this discussion about another game and it seems related:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/383870/d ... 984/?ctp=2

Any idea what can be done?
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

heinzrondorf wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:17 am Performance seems decent but it kind of sucks playing the PC version on a MacBook Pro without a mouse since you cannot use the trackpad to zoom and there is no way to access the strategic map other than clicking the strategic map icon or F5 key. Or is there? On the Mac version, for all its flaws, you can right the click the strategic map icon in the bottom right corner and immediately bring up the map. I use that feature ALL the time…
If you have a mouse with a scroll wheel, the scroll wheel will zoom in and out, [my Mac Pro].
On my Mac Air I can zoom in/out with two fingers on the track pad. It doesn't work well, takes me ~10secs to get the zoom where I want it when I mess it up.

No it is not Mac user friendly, but it does have the Scenario editor and Mods are much easier.
heinzrondorf wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:17 am I tried Wineskin but unfortunately I did not get it to work. I followed the instructions but got a message saying “Oops! No new executables found!”. I tried different wrapper engines but I always got this message.
The problem is not the wrapper, it may be a bad install, or you just need to 'set the executable'
InstallPath.jpg
InstallPath.jpg (89.38 KiB) Viewed 4083 times
The screen capture is the directory path inside the Wineskin wrapper.
ie Right Click 'Show Contents' not 'Open'.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
tgajr74
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by tgajr74 »

It stopped working for me too
heinzrondorf

Post by heinzrondorf »

tgajr74 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:22 am It stopped working for me too
Has it stopped working entirely or only in full screen, can you still get it to run in windowed mode? What kind of Mac do you have?
heinzrondorf

Post by heinzrondorf »

dalfrede wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:58 pm If you have a mouse with a scroll wheel, the scroll wheel will zoom in and out, [my Mac Pro].
On my Mac Air I can zoom in/out with two fingers on the track pad. It doesn't work well, takes me ~10secs to get the zoom where I want it when I mess it up.

No it is not Mac user friendly, but it does have the Scenario editor and Mods are much easier.
Thanks a lot for your help on this. It is very nice to be able to run the PC version and something I will keep in mind for the future, especially if I have a mouse. However, for the time being, I have gone back to using the Mac version in windowed mode which still works. It is actually quite decent if I run it in maximum resolution and hide the "Dock" at the bottom of the screen. Since I don't have a mouse (only a trackpad) I found moving around the map and zooming very difficult on the PC version so the "native" Mac version in windowed mode is actually the lesser of two evils. But thanks again for your help!
CptnTank

Post by CptnTank »

exactly the same here
heinzrondorf

Post by heinzrondorf »

CptnTank wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 am exactly the same here
Does it work if you run it in windowed mode?

Return to “Panzer Corps : Tech Support”