Battlefield Europe v1.9 – operation Unthinkable

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

GeneralWerner
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Battlefield Europe v1.9 – operation Unthinkable

Post by GeneralWerner »

Berlin – June 22 1941 – Radio station of the Großdeutscher Rundfunk

Operation “Undenkbar” (unthinkable) started with a real big bang. June 22 1941 04:12 am the Berghof near Berchtesgarden exploded sending the Führer, his Paladins and the guest Mussolini to a better world.

Three hours later after the first chaos has shaken the German Reich, in Berlin Feldmarschall Ludwig Werner talked to the German people and soldiers via radio broadcast.

“Liebe Landsleute, this morning a cowardly attack of foreign agents destroyed the Berghof with an awful bomb attack. Our beloved Führer, the leaders of our government and the OKW were all killed. This also includes the Duce, brave leader of our Italian ally.
Our troops in the Berchdesgarden area - commanded by Oberst von Stauffenberg - were able to catch the fleeing assassins in a farm house near Obersalzberg. They fought to their death. But the evidences are undeniable that this despicable attack was carried out by Soviet agents and ordered by the leaders of the Soviet Union.
Therefore I have taken over the command of the German Wehrmacht this morning at 05:30. At 06:00 I informed the Russian ambassador that the German Reich and the Soviet Union are in war from now on. I ordered our Wehrmacht to cross the Russian border at 06:15 this morning to bring the criminal leaders in the Kremlin to justice, whatever it will cost us.
Furthermore I order one week of national mourning.
Ludwig Werner, Feldmarschall und Oberkommandierender der Deutschen Wehrmacht“

Four hours later while the Wehrmacht is already overrunning the first Russian defenders, Feldmarschall Ludwig Werner, General Erwin Rommel, General Rolf Steiner and Oberst Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg – the Oberst currently arrived from the airport Tempelhof - are sitting together in Werner’s office.

Feldmarschall Werner is talking:
“Finally it started. Thanks to Claus we got rid of this Nazi barbarians and their amateurish war strategy.
We could have beaten England already if in Dunkirk our tanks would not have stopped for three days. Foolish! And after that to make this air war over England bleeding the German Luftwaffe. And the climax we see today: To prepare the attack on the Soviet Union while our enemy in the west is mobilizing his powers worldwide. Earlier or later Churchill will draw the Americans in this war and then we stand against economic super powers.
We have to end this war until mid of 1945. And I plan to win it in the west and the east.”

Stauffenberg is talking: “Stalin will be upset and call us liars about this assassination. But it is clear, our plan can’t be stopped anymore.”

“Claus, you know - history is written by the winners. You can call it “fake news” but we generated enough evidences against Stalin including the ten Russian soldiers we captured at the Russian border in the last weeks.” says General Steiner.

Werner is talking again:
“It is a pity that we can’t stop operation Barbarossa. But among our troops at the Ostfront there are at least 1 million Nazi soldiers, sworn on the Führer, trained and equipped with the best German weapons. Better we let them attack east instead of calling them home and they eventually start a putsch against us.
Rolf, your orders are clear. Invade the Soviet Union and capture Moscow and Leningrad as quickly as possible. After you reached your targets in 1942 you hand over the necessary troops to Claus for operation Seelöwe. In parallel to avoid lack of fuel for our troops we need more oil fields. So your duty will also be to invade the Caucasus over the Black Sea and reach Baku and Grozny in 42.
Claus, prepare the invasion of England in 1942, latest winter 42/43. You will have to fight against superior naval and air forces. Prepare the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe. Admiral Dönitz will support you with his U-Boote. Currently they harass the allied convoy routes in the Atlantic. In 42 we need them to hold the British ships away from the channel when our divisions will cross it.
Erwin, your duty is unchanged. The Afrika Korps has to capture Tobruk and Egypt. After that you move to Palestine and Iraq. You will get two additional tank divisions and several infantry divisions in the next months.

Good luck, meine Herren.”

(Difficulty General, Chess mode, Goal is to reach a total victory latest round 94, Prestige at begin of scenario is 3900, fog of war on all the time, only later for some screenshots fog of is switched off to have better overview)
Last edited by GeneralWerner on Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Battlefield Europe v1.9 – operation Unthinkable

Post by PeteMitchell »

Oh this is great news, I am looking forward to it. I had tried reaching the Caucasus through the Black Sea as well once... Happy to see your approach and also to discuss options/share experiences, good luck!
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

Berlin – March 19 1942 – Headquarter of the OKW (round 19)

Feldmarschall Werner is sitting at his desk reading the OKW report about the order of battles at the main battlefields of WW2.

Ostfront
General Steiner has captured Moscow begin of March 42. His main core used the road Brest -> Minsk -> Smolensk -> Moscow to reach the border of Moscow in winter 41/42. To defeat entrenched enemy infantry Steiner used two divisions of Panzer II Flamm. The strong Russian winter and a Russian counter attack south of Moscow delayed the victory in Moscow for several weeks. In parallel a second army moved north to attack Leningrad from the south west.
4203_Moscow.jpg
4203_Moscow.jpg (214.5 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
Steiner will now transfer strong Panzer troops and artillery from the Moscow battlefield via rail to Leningrad and use them to destroy the southern defense line of the city. After that Leningrad will fall in several weeks. The German troops were already successful to destroy the heavy fortress Krasnaya Gorka and the Panzerkreuzer Marat.

In the south of Russia the front moved to the line Kiev – Dnepropetrovsk. The Wehrmacht is now preparing the invasion of the Crimea. Of high strategic importance on the Crimea peninsula is the airport south of Kerch that can support the Axis troops fighting in the Caucasus with fighter and bomber missions.

Using half of the Luftwaffe of the Eastern front until winter 41/42 General Steiner destroyed the Russian Navy in the Black Sea and landed multiple Axis infantry divisions at the eastern shores of the Black Sea. Mainly Gebirgsjäger were landed that are optimally prepared to fight in the Caucasus Mountains, even against armored enemies. The oil fields of Grozny are already under German control. A second army is on the way to Baku to avoid a shortcut of fuel that will start from May 42.
4203_Caucasus.jpg
4203_Caucasus.jpg (208.29 KiB) Viewed 5946 times

Afrika
Rommel has captured Tobruk and Mersa Matruh to prepare the attack on the western defense line of Egypt. Rudel’s Stuka squad is bombing Malta.
4203_Tobruk.jpg
4203_Tobruk.jpg (243.82 KiB) Viewed 5946 times

England
General von Stauffenberg has setup Flak batteries at the channel coast. The German Kriegsmarine has crossed the channel from east to west. The airfield south of Bristol will be the beach head in winter 42/43. The British radar station was destroyed. In February 42 the German U-Boote at the allied convoy routes were commanded to move back to the French coast.
Last edited by GeneralWerner on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Great progress, GeneralWerner!

I am especially curious to see/learn how you capture Tobruk while repelling the British offensives coming from Egypt at the same time. This is (amongst others) an area that I want to improve… In addition, I am still wondering how to best defend against the big(ger) British tank offensive end of 42 while Tunis is looming, i.e. where to defend (e.g. around Tobruk, Halfaya Pass, Mersa Matruh or even El Alamain) and with what army?

(regarding the preview step, I had similar issues: I then just added the photos as attachments, then put them inline and then immediately submit the post, i.e. without the preview step, if I found issues afterwards I just edited the post)
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

Mersa Matruh – March 19 1942 – Rommel’s command car

The hour before sunset. Again it will be a hot day. And that in a double sense because in half an hour General Rommel will order his Afrika Korps to attack the British “fortress” Egypt. Deeply entrenched British elite troops with anti tank guns guarded by strong artillery and air defense. And at the coast two battlecruisers of the Royal Navy are waiting.

The last months were very successful for Rommel. Defeating the superior British at Tobruk brought him the title “Wüstenfuchs”.

Rommel is reading his diary, the thoughts and plans he made and realized in the last months.
03_tobruk.jpg
03_tobruk.jpg (238.27 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
In June 41 immediately Rommel started to attack Tobruk from the west using two artilleries. At the Halfaya pass a defense is set up against the strong British tank troops attack from the east. Main defense unit will be the 8,8er division. (round 3)
06_tobruk.jpg
06_tobruk.jpg (190.88 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
In September 41 German tanks are attacking the artillery on the British airfield. In the west everything is under control. From west the first reinforcement divisions are approaching. (round 6)
10_tobruk.jpg
10_tobruk.jpg (213.26 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
In November 41 Tobruk has nearly fallen. New British tank forces are attacking from the east. Seems they have split their troops in two groups. One trying to reach Tobruk via the coastal road the other one is moving through the desert to bypass the German defense (AT and ship bombardment) at Halfaya pass. (round 10). Meanwhile a second German tank division has arrived in Africa.
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

13_tobruk.jpg
13_tobruk.jpg (144.79 KiB) Viewed 5938 times
In December 41 the British mobilize all remaining forces to break through to Tobruk. But the Halfaya pass is a death trap where one British division after the others surrenders. The Axis has brought 2 tactical bomber squads from the battle of Malta that will make heavy damage to the attacking British forces. (round 13, fog of war off)
16_tobruk.jpg
16_tobruk.jpg (234.99 KiB) Viewed 5938 times
In February 42 the Axis is going to attack to defeat the remaining British troops always starting with artillery and battleship fire to suppress the enemy troops. (round 16, fog of war off)
4203_Tobruk2.jpg
4203_Tobruk2.jpg (197.23 KiB) Viewed 5938 times
March 42. General Rommel is giving the command to move east to break the British defense belt and invade Egypt. Meanwhile the third tank division has reached Tobruk. The Italian fleet is resupplying at Crete.

German intelligence report rumors about a new British tank army that is gathered near Suez. Rommel’s plan is to break through to Cairo and lure the British armor in the city or even in the Nile delta to stop them with infantry and finish them with the Panzer IIIL divisions. But first it is mandatory to break the British defense belt as soon as possible …
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Impressive screenshots!

I just noticed that you are playing the main Barbarossa scenario only, so you are actucally starting with significantly less prestige. Also, please allow me to ask, why do you prefer chess mode over for example limited dice chess?

I have to say I find it is interesting to see how you approach Leningrad from the west/south-west.

Also the attack on Tobruk seems a perfect textbook example of how to achieve two things with very minimal/limited resources. In addition, bringing in tactical bombers and capital ships early is a simple but very smart idea, I usually/mostly keep them around Malta only at this time...

Reaching Cairo before the last British offensive seems reasonable as well. However, I am actually not sure where exactly these tanks land in Egypt before they start their offensive.
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

Oranienbaum – April 03 1942 – Feldmarschall Steiner’s temporary headquarter

From the ruins of the destroyed fortress Krasnaya Gorka Feldmarschall Steiner – promoted to a Feldmarschall after his victory in Moscow - is organizing his attack on Leningrad. German infantry divisions have defeated the Russian fortress in the last months bringing their deadly guns to silence.

After end of winter 41/42 the Luftwaffe was able to sink the Panzerkreuzer Marat. Thus two of the Russian long range defensive artilleries were taken out of the game. In the moment (round 20) a Panzer IVF divisions arrives from the victorious battle of Moscow and another long range artillery is on the way via rail.
4204_Leningrad.jpg
4204_Leningrad.jpg (243.45 KiB) Viewed 5872 times

Two month later (round 25) the two Panzer IVF divisions in combination with artillery and tactical bombing have destroyed the defending Russian tanks. German tanks attacked the Russian mortar troops in southern Leningrad and later Finnish and German infantry entered the city to destroy the heavy artillery in the north.
4206_Leningrad.jpg
4206_Leningrad.jpg (189.47 KiB) Viewed 5872 times

End of August 42 (round 30) the last Russian defenders of Leningrad were defeated by German infantry while the Panzers are already on the way to the Reich to be upgraded to Panzer IVG and transferred to Le Havre for operation Seelöwe starting with the first snow in winter 42/43.
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

El Alamein – June 17 1942 – Rommel’s command car

Since two month the Afrika Korps is attacking the British defense lines at El Alamein with tanks, artillery and bombers. The deeply entrenched British infantry and anti tank guns let the German tanks pay for every feet in advance. The Axis Airforce tries to support with tactical and carpet bombing but the British have setup a very powerful air defense in Egypt.

The HMS Valiant and HMS Queen Mary with their wide range guns are a real problem suppressing and weakening the German tanks and artillery. Rommel knows that in the moment Italian submarines try to sneak through the British mine belts to attack the battleships. And far in the north a part of the Italian fleet is waiting to reach the African coast and bombard the British defense belt.
4206_Egypt.jpg
4206_Egypt.jpg (230.5 KiB) Viewed 5870 times

Begin of August 42 (round 28) the decisive break in the British defense line was made. Now Rommel is pressing to break through as quickly as possible to reach Cairo before the strong new British tank army from Suez can start to move west and participate in the battle.

The submarines have weakened the British battleships but were intercepted by a British destroyer fleet. Therefore the British battleships are still a big danger for the Italian light and heavy cruisers, preventing the Axis ships to come nearer.
Rommel’s plan is now to destroy the British air defense with his tanks and after that the Axis bombers can finish the battleships.
4208_Egypt.jpg
4208_Egypt.jpg (215.15 KiB) Viewed 5870 times

Mid of November 42 (round 35) the Afrika Korps is attacking the city of Cairo to open the way to the Suez channel. Rumors tell about an overwhelming British army east of Cairo. Again the desert fox Rommel has to fight a superior enemy and the strong Axis Airforce is bounded to ground due to bad weather. Rommel’s plan is to lure British divisions into Cairo or even on the western shores of the Nile River. Then he will attack them and press them back to the river where they will be defeated. But it is clear the British counter and counter counter attacks will also raise a high number of victims on the Axis side. The outcome of this battle of Cairo will decide who will rule northern Africa and Palestine.

4211_Cairo.jpg
4211_Cairo.jpg (222.74 KiB) Viewed 5870 times
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

Berlin – January 28 1943 – Generalfeldmarschall Werner’s desk

The OKW provided a huge map showing the whole operation area of the German Wehrmacht and the Axis troops (round 40).
4301 Global.jpg
4301 Global.jpg (222.9 KiB) Viewed 5846 times

In England two Panzer IVG, two Stug IIIF/8, two artillery and a Grenadier division build the beach head of operation Seelöwe. More infantry and Flak divisions are on their way over the channel. Admiral Dönitz has closed the channel in the west with three U-Boot Flottillen and in the east even with five Flottillen to keep the strong British Royal Navy at distance not allowing them to bombard the transport ships.

In Tunisia more than 20 divisions (mainly standard infantry, some PAK, some small artillery) are awaiting the American attack. The Axis was able to fortify the Kasserine pass. That is the place where Rommel plans to end the American plans to encircle the Afrika Korps.

In Egypt the heavy fight of Cairo is going on. The city changed the owners several times and the Afrika Korps paid with several infantry divisions and a complete 88er division already. Rommel is flying in infantry enforcement from Tunisia.

Surprisingly the British landed in northern Norway. The Tirpitz is fighting in the channel and left Norway unprotected. Werner has sent two additional infantry divisions and a 88er Flak in case the British have also landed tanks. More troops could not be sent to this battlefield.

The Ostfront is prepared for the Russian winter offensive. Secret Service is telling about masses of T34 tanks, infantry and artillery. West of Kursk the main attack of the Russians is expected. General von Manstein convinced Steiner and Werner that the best strategy is to invite the Russians to attack from Kursk in the direction to Kiev (green) and then crush the Russian offensive from the north and the south. Let’s see whether Stalin is running in this trap. The next important goals in the East are to reach the Volga River at Rybinsk Reservoir in the north and Stalingrad in the south. Therefore in the north and the south the Wehrmacht is still attacking. In the far north the Finish are attacking Archangelsk.

In the Caucasus 17 divisions are fighting including the best Axis infantry troops (Gebirgsjäger and Fallschirmjäger) defending the mountains against Russian attacks from the north and against possible British attacks from the south.

In 42/43 the Axis has to fight on many different battlefields. But the troops are in good shape. All tanks were upgraded to Panzer IIIL or IIIM or Marders. All anti tank troops were upgraded to Stug IIIG. This was achieved by several prestige boosts (Moscow, Malta, Leningrad) and especially holding the two oil fields in the Caucasus. In addition the Wehrmacht saved a lot of prestige by not repairing the German Kriegsmarine. Rudel’s Stukas support the Afrika Korps in Tunisia. The Tiger division went to the Ostfront and will be the spearhead on the way to Stalingrad in 1943.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

This looks very promising! DV between turns 80 and 90?
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

Let's see. My goal is better then 95.
The Wehrmacht troops are in a surprisingly good shape. All important upgrades were made at the tank side and anti tank side. Having no towed anti tank gun anymore but StugIIIs is a good feeling if a bunch of T34s shows up. Getting two oil fields early helps a lot with prestige and avoiding the oil shortcut also makes it easier in the Med Sea by activating a third Italian battleship.

I wonder what this monster of a Russian army around Kursk will do. In the past I always played the wall of steel at Kursk or even east of Kursk so it is a new experience for me to have this massive troop concentration at Kursk.
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

London – June 27 1943 (round 50) – Feldmarschall von Staufenberg‘s new office in Buckingham Palace

Von Stauffenberg is completely upset about the last orders he got from Berlin. He asked for enforcements for his Airforce and got the following order:
STRENG GEHEIM - Berlin, June 26 1943, OKW
To Feldmarschall von Stauffenberg
From Generalfeldmarschall Werner
Retreat with your all you fighters and tactical bombers to the channel coast. Cover the landing of four additional Flak divisions against Royal Airforce. After that send all planes of the Luftwaffe back to the airports of Frankfurt and Berlin.

Von Stauffenberg is leaning back to think about his strategic situation. The British tried to crush the German beach head last winter but the two Panzer IV divisions and two Stug divisions repelled all the attempts allowing German infantry, artillery and Flak to land in England.

In May 1943 the British gathered all their heavy tank forces, artillery and heavy infantry northwest of London for the decisive battle of England. And the British lost. After the Wehrmacht captured London now the way is free to move north and west quickly.

But two days ago the British/American operation “Revenge” was started. With immense numbers of Spitfire, Mosquito and Thunderbolt planes guided by Chain Home Radar the British and Americans attacked the German Fw 190-A5, Bf 110G and Me 410A air fleets near Birmingham. In one day more than 30% of the German fighters were shot down and 20% of the tactical bombers.

Replacing now the fighters with Flaks will slow down the advance of the Wehrmacht in England.
4306 England.jpg
4306 England.jpg (211.78 KiB) Viewed 5715 times

Kasserine Pass – June 27 1943 (round 50) – Feldmarschall Rommel’s command car

Rommel is impatient. It is time to clear the situation in Tunisia and concentrate again on the much more important battle in Egypt. American division after division tried to break the Axis defense belt at the Kasserine Pass but without success. Now the American tank forces are attacking but Rommel started a counter attack. In hilly terrain the infantry and PAK is an equivalent opponent for the American tank forces that are not protected by artillery.
4306 Tunisia.jpg
4306 Tunisia.jpg (214.52 KiB) Viewed 5715 times

Cairo– June 27 1943 (round 50) – Feldmarschall Rommel’s second command car

General Hermann – deputy of Feldmarschall Rommel in Africa - is excited. After months of heaviest fighting in Egypt the remaining British forces were pressed back to the Suez Channel. Seems Hermann can cross the Suez Channel in the next weeks before Rommel is coming back from the Tunisia frontline. So he will be the commander who opened the Wehrmacht the way to Palestine and to the oil fields of Iraq behind the vast desert.

Hermann is taking his radio giving commands to Oberst Rütgers, leader of the 21. Panzer division occupying the northern part of Cairo: “Oberst, advance to the channel and start crossing immediately. This day will be remembered in German war history. Sieg ... ähhh good luck! Hermann over and out.”
4306 Egypt.jpg
4306 Egypt.jpg (193.51 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

Konotop– June 27 1943 (round 50) – Feldmarschall Steiner’s command post

Steiner is impressed. The battlefield between Konotop and Kursk has the highest density of armored forces seen in the history of mankind. He knows about the intense battle in Egypt where 4 German armored divisions fought 8 British armored divisions. But here at Kursk more German and Russian tanks were already destroyed than started in the fight of Cairo. And still thousands of tanks and anti tanks are in operation in this front segment.
4306 Kursk.jpg
4306 Kursk.jpg (222.48 KiB) Viewed 5709 times

Since winter 42/43 the Russians made several attempts to break through to the west from Kursk opening the roads to Kiev. The central Axis defence frontline of Heeresgruppe Mitte is at Konotop, in the woods north of the city and at Orel.
Steiner is looking at his strategic map. He wonders whether the Red Army leaders have not realized that there massive main core at Kursk get’s more and more cut off from the real important battlefields in the future.
4306 Russia.jpg
4306 Russia.jpg (179.31 KiB) Viewed 5709 times

General Guderian is attacking with Heeresgruppe Nord in the north to reach Vologda and Gorky. And General Hoth is gathering the best German Panzer forces of Heeresgruppe Süd in the south to attack Rostov and Stalingrad. After these cities are captured the Wehrmacht can start to attack the strategic cities at the Volga River cutting off all supply routes for the Red Army troops and forcing the Russians to surrender. In the Caucasus the Gebirgsjäger have repelled all attempts of the Red Army to recapture one of the oil fields. Some divisions already moved south to the borders of Iran and Iraq to build a beach head from where northern Iraq can be invaded in a later state of the war.

Stalino – June 27 1943 (round 50) – General Hoth’s Tiger tank

General Hoth is a happy man. He is leading the command tank of his 502. Panzer division named the Tiger division. After the Tigers have proven their power south of Konotop they were released out of the front to build the spearhead of the upcoming attack on Stalingrad. In the moment the Sturmtruppen still remove the last resistance of Russian infantry and PAK in the way of Hoth’s army. But then the Tigers will take the lead and Hoth has the plan not to stop the engines any more before the Don River can’t be seen in front of his tank.

The southern flank of the army will be guarded by capturing Rostov. The northern flank by some forces that will block the roads from Kursk to Stalingrad.

Hoth’s Panzer is leading the Tiger division to the front of his army. Below his command seat in the turret the General can hear his crew singing the German Panzerlied. Hoth is just a happy man.

4306 Rostov.jpg
4306 Rostov.jpg (228.57 KiB) Viewed 5709 times
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

This is looking really good. I am impressed by the overall progress!

Moving Flak to the UK makes sense and I especially like how you keep the US west of the Kasserine Pass/in the mountains, although it requires quite some infantry divisions.

You seem to be taking/planning a more active approach in the East (including the center), taking (and holding) Stalingrad can pay off, of course...
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

Berlin – November 24 1943 (round 60) – Generalfeldmarschall Werner’s desk

A huge map is showing the order of battle in Europe and Africa. Werner is reading the last reports of the OKW.
4311 Global.jpg
4311 Global.jpg (255.58 KiB) Viewed 5685 times

In England the Wehrmacht still has a long way to go to the northern part of the island. Of course the speed of the invasion slowed down after all German fighter planes have left England and the Flak took over the air protection. But it was clear for Werner that the Luftwaffe was in danger to be overwhelmed by Allied planes in England. Sending them back to the Reich also had the positive effect that the Allied bomber fleets that often operated without fighter protection deep in the German airspace were strongly reduced avoiding further carpet bombing of many German cities.

In Norway the situation was cleared by German infantry. Now two submarine Flottilles are guarding the Norwegian coast against a possible second Allied invasion.

The Americans were defeated in Tunisia and now the Axis is moving west.

The Axis has started to attack Palestine. The three Italian battleships move with highest speed east to support the attacks on Haifa, Beirut and Aleppo. In parallel a part of the Afrika Korps is already driving through the desert on the way to Basra. The plan is to cross the Shat al-Arab River at Basra and then move back west to Baghdad. To speed up the invasion of Iraq the OKW has decided to use some infantry troops from the Caucasus and attack the city of Mosul.

In Russia in the north the Wehrmacht has a stable front line around Gorky. But in the south the duty is still to capture Stalingrad. Hoth’s attack was delayed because the Red Army has sent troops from the north and the east to fight the advancing German army. The OKW has decided to save same time by handover the duty to capture Astrakhan to the Caucasian army that started to move north. Around Kursk heavy fighting was going on in the last months. The last attempt of the Russians to break through was by attacking south to Kharkov. The Russians won some cities but now Steiner’s counter offensive is running to recapture the lost terrain.

The battlefield of England
4311 England.jpg
4311 England.jpg (236.8 KiB) Viewed 5685 times

The battlefield in the Near East
4311 Palestine.jpg
4311 Palestine.jpg (223.9 KiB) Viewed 5685 times
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

The southern Ostfront
4311 Russia.jpg
4311 Russia.jpg (251.39 KiB) Viewed 5684 times
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

Newcastle – April 23 1944 (round 70) –Feldmarschall Stauffenberg’s command post

Feldmarschall von Stauffenberg is confident that the campaign in England is coming to an end soon. Glasgow is the last target und step by step and always suppressed by Allied bombers the Wehrmacht has moved north. Now the defenders of northern England will come in German artillery range and German tanks and infantry are ready to approach the city. Werner has handed back the Fw 190-A5 fleets to von Stauffenberg. So in the upcoming last phase of Seelöwe the Wehrmacht will be supported again by fighters.
4404 England.jpg
4404 England.jpg (211.63 KiB) Viewed 5661 times

In front of Basra – April 23 1944 (round 70) – Feldmarschall Rommel’s command car

Rommel has ordered all his troops to attack Iraq and end the war. The veterans of the Afrika Korps will attack the British defense at Basra in some few days. At Mosul the Axis infantry was intercepted by British light tanks and recons. A veteran Gebirgsjäger division still is holding the city. New armored divisions were set up at in the Caucasus at Tabriz to support and distract the defenders of Baghdad. They have not much experience but the most modern equipment the Wehrmacht can provide. Also the 31. Infantry division in Hamadan is ordered to attack now.
4404 Iraq.jpg
4404 Iraq.jpg (254.54 KiB) Viewed 5661 times

Stalingrad – April 23 1944 (round 70) – Feldmarschall Steiner’s command post

Feldmarschall Steiner’s analysis shows that the resistance of the Red Army is crumbling away. The Russians tried to recapture Gorky with strong tank forces but were repelled by German infantry in the woods east of Gorky. Also the defense of Stalingrad was broken in some weeks by using three Axis artillery divisions, strategic bombers and the Tigers. And in Kursk the Red Army was exhausted and could not withstand Steiner’s attack. Heeresgruppe Mitte will now hold the Don River line to prevent any Russian unit to move west. The Russian Airforce is still present but can’t stop the Luftwaffe going wherever it wants. Three cities have to be captured now to force the Russians to surrender. Ulyanovsk in the north is already reached by Guderian’s troops approaching from Gorky. Hoth’s Tigers have to go to Saratov an the western Volga River shore. And finally the longest way will it be for the Stugs and Panthers of Heeresgruppe Süd on the eastern Volga River shore to reach Kuybyshev where Stalin’s hideout is supposed.
4404 Russia.jpg
4404 Russia.jpg (215.38 KiB) Viewed 5661 times
Attachments
4406 Russia.jpg
4406 Russia.jpg (211.79 KiB) Viewed 5664 times
4406 Iraq.jpg
4406 Iraq.jpg (231.37 KiB) Viewed 5664 times
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

This is a masterpiece, very well played!
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

Thank you PeteMitchell,
but it was your hint that made the difference. Avoiding the wall of steel at the Ostfront and allow the Red Army to gather many of their troops at Kursk realy makes it much easier to move in northern and southern Russia to the stratetgic targets at the Volga River.
And holding two oil fields early also helps a lot to avoid prestige stort cut. I could always do the important upgrades (newest fighter types, Stugs, Panther, infantry 44) in time having nearly no weakpoints in my front lines.

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”