GC42-45 West, Field Marshall level, Replays and analysis, Di

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

hugh2711
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

GC42-45 West, Field Marshall level, Replays and analysis, Di

Post by hugh2711 »

GC42-45 West, Field Marshall level, Replays and analysis, Dice Chess

This is a continuation of my AAR thread 'GC39-41, replays and analysis, Field Marshall. Found here: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 45&t=81741 .So that thread is where I got that starting prestige and core. There is a later EAST thread as well, found here; http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 45&t=82744 .
It is meant for newer players, hence only the field marshall level.
As I said before:
Everyone has their own style for playing. I consider myself to be only an average player as you can see by the many mistakes in the replays.
My strategy is basically fourfold, its about a) mining prestige, b) farming heroes c) an agressive strong airforce and d) All SE unit are tanks.

First thing you have to choose those 9 units
You get to take over your 4 SE units which dont count towards the 9, so I am taking my four SE tanks. That makes me well off for tanks but the S+2 tank is too good to leave behind as well.
Super rudel A+9 D+9 M+1 - obvious choice
P3 S+2 A+2 D+2 M+1 .....- obvious choice also you might as well convert him to a P4 which at the moment is slightly better, as you will be losing the surplus prestige anyway.
BF109f A+2 i+2 D+1......- obvious choice, most heroed fighter.
Gebirjager M+3 i+3 A+2..- obvious choice, most heroed infantry
The other 5 choices are not obvious;
I really like R+1 wurfrahmen so I will convert two artilliary to them.
To do the first couple of scenarios you need a couple more tough infantry so my A+3 M+1 para is my next best infantry unit.
The next best units are my pionere which has 900 kills so is overdue for a hero and nearly into third hero territory, but at the moment the low initiative will mean it takes losses in attack ( of ordinary dug in units). A good case could be made for the recently aquired A+3 i+3 hero (converted to a grenadier), a very good attacking unit although its kills are only about 100 so I am going to try that.
Also this campaign is very tough in the air department starting scenario 4 so more air power is neccessary. I will try one of the A+3 109's. Usually I use the i+6 A+1 bf110 so it doubles as a tactical bomber so this is a bit of an experiment.
There is an argument for trying to keep your experienced and heroed 88 as well, i have yet to try that.

So the basic feel of this campaign is like GC39 in that once again you are building up a new core with the usual farming unts/heroes except you go alot faster. The scenarios in ths campaign are generally smaller. Because you are building a new core you tend not to accumulate lots of prestige. The scenarios are mostly easy with a few hard ones thrown in.
Last edited by hugh2711 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hugh2711

Re: GC42-45 West, Field Marshall level, Replays and analysis

Post by hugh2711 »

1) St Nazaire [DV] Enemy goes first.
Strategy: Quick and easy. The issue with the first few scenarios of this campaign is that because the prestige is reset you need to earn loads but you can only do that by letting the enemy take some secondary and primary hexes then retaking them but without letting them go near the subs. Use M+3, a tank and a 3 range wurfrahmen to keep the commandos away from the subs. Use your tanks in the roads only not the town hexes to destroy enemy infantry of the main group and of course your infantry on the tanks when they go in the town hexes only. There are initially a couple of kamikaze bombers going to an assigned place for which traps can be set, see replay. There is one other air attack about turn 9 of just two units. You get a couple of aux motorcycle units which are best used initially to help keep the commandos at bay then if they survive they can be useful to retake secondary hexes.
Core activity: As above
Deployed: Subs group; Gebirjager (M+3 i+3 A+2)@13, SE P4 (M+1)@12, wurfrahmen (R+1)@10. Main group; wurfrahmen (R+1)@10, SE P4 (M+1)@12, SE P4 (A+3 D+2)@13, SE P4 (A+3 D+1)@13, P4 (S+2 A+2 D+2 M+1)@13, wurfrahmen (R+1)@10. Air; Bf109 (A+3)@12, BF109 (A+2 i+2 D+1)@13, super rudel@13. I have not overstrengthed the wurfrahmen as that would really take chunks out of the softcap which is already at 88%. 3% of that is entirely due to the 13 overstrengt point on the S+2. If doing it again I would probably put it at 12 not 13.
Destroyed: 18,6,0,4,1,0,0,0,1,3. Total = 33
Comments: No losses.
Attachments
replay(08.03.2018) St Nazaire, Turn 14.rar
(47.47 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

2) Bayonne [DV] Prestige = 2895 [4 free units, 2 inf & 2 tank]
Strategy: Quick and easy but once again you need to let them take some hexes so you can retake to get the prestige. Also very important you need two new fighters and give them the experience. If you dont scenario 4 (dieppe) is a nightmare. The actual scenario can be completed by about turn 6 but you need to prolong it for another 9 turns! in order to give certain units more experience. You also want to avoid when you can giving the action to the four free units that you will be disbanding for prestige afterwards. After freeing your trapped trains and destroying the enemy units you need to keep the two new fighters strafing to give them experience. You can get them over 100 experience by; after a couple of turns a couple of tanks appear in the north one of which is a matilda. Destroy the other tank but keep the matilda trapped by blocking it with one of your SE tanks on its only escape from a ring of boacage hexes (see replay). It wont attack you because it would lose too much. Your two new fighters can take it in turns to get one strike each per turn. You do get a couple of strat bomber attacks during the scenario but they are easily dealt with by rudel pus one of the new ones. You can always finish it off with your tank on turn 15. The actual trains can take a few hits from the infantry around them, if they get low just reinforce them, they are very cheap.
Core activity: Buy two new 109's. A new sturmpanzer (,obviously I need more artilliary) and a pionere.
Deployed: Air: rudel + two new 109's. North group; M+3, wurf(R+1), grenadier, pionere. 2x SE P4. South group 2x SE P4, P4 (S+2), wurf (R+1), para (A+3 M+1). Softcap = 100%
Destroyed:17,3,3,3,3,2,0,0,0,2. Total = 33
Comments: My two new fighters got over one star of experience out of that. I will be disbanding the four free units for prestige. The 2 infantry are too weak to use and the two tanks are surplus since I already have 5 good heroed tanks.
Attachments
replay(08.03.2018) Bayonne, Turn 15.rar
(42.28 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

3) Hardelot: [DV] Prestige = 2150 [4 free (recon) units]
Strategy: Straightforward but very fast. Destroy initial attack with tanks. Spread out remaining units to act as early warning spotters for the next attack. Transport tanks and other troops very quickly to different subsequent attack points using trains and gigant's. There is no air opposition. I will deploy those two new fighters to give them more experience.
Core activity: Disband the two free conscripts and two free T34's. Repair wurfrahmen with experienced. Overstrength the two new 109's. Bought a stug 3f because they are cheap with good firepower and a heinkel strat bomber because it will be needed later. The softcap will become critical later on.
Deployed: softcap 98%. North; para, 2x wurf (R+1), sturm, P4 (S+2), M+3. centre; 4xSE P4,stug f8, 2x 109, bf110, heinkel. South; grenadier
Destroyed:6,8,7,0,0,0,0,0,0,0. Total = 17
Comments: Straightforward, its all about fast moving transport and a bit of anticipation. I dont really need any of those 4 recon units. The motorcycle and two of the recon units are worth 442 prestige. I dont use motorcycle units as I find they need refuelling too often. I have kept one (the panhard) as I may need it for a sacrifice later on.
Attachments
replay(08.03.2018) Hardelot, Turn 16.rar
(44.34 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
Last edited by hugh2711 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

4) Dieppe: [DV] Prestige = 2676 [9 free units] Enemy goes first.
Strategy: This is a difficult mission. The air battle is fierce, there are a few waves of attack with quite strong units and they are very agressive. You get given a couple of units to help. Once again in order to get some prestige you need to let them capture some hexes then retake for the prestige. Alot of the units you get given you will disband after so they can take some losses before retiring. You get given some aux units as well, they make good bait/diversions/sacrifices. It is basically an urban slog so the usual lots of arty backup and only go into town hexes with infantry not tanks. They have some strong naval assistance. You should try to destroy as many as possible on a river hexes in the town. A small contingent including M+3 is useful on the right to take an outlying hex that gives a capturable to be disbanded. There are a couple of hexes with a VH right in the centre but surrounded by rivers. try to hold them as long as possible from a large and determined attack. I will be taking the unprecedented step of converting one of those reserve auxiliaries to a grenadier as its position is such a target. When in the urban area approach from the west and south into the city. The enemy will be going from east to west and north to south.
Core activity: Disband 2x recon & motorcycle. Upgraded 4x 109's, overstrength heinkel. Upgraded bf110. Bought another sturmpanzer. Bought another paratrooper for use in this urban enviroment.
Deployed: Softcap = 95%. West to East; wurf (R+1), SE P4, 4x109, bf110, heinkel, 2xpara, grenadier, pionere, 2x sturm, 2xwurf, 2x P4, M+3.
Destroyed:24,23,9,1,2,1,0,5,3,2. Total = 70
Comments: That did not go as well as usual. Although it doesnt appear to be very profitable, after I disband all the useless units and keep one of the heavy tanks it goes up to 4360. Repairs will be higher than usual particularly in the air units. I was dissapointed with the performance of the pionere, even taking into account its inexperience. Next time earlier on I would try getting some other infantry instead. If you havent got some experience on those (bf109) new air units you would lose one as they would be targetted.
Attachments
replay(08.03.2018) Dieppe, Turn 17.rar
(48.24 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

5) Gironde: [DV] Prestige = 2024
Strategy: Relatively easy. Another one where you need to let them take some hexes in order to get prestige by winning them back. So on the west side you need to deploy your forces well back (south) otherwise it is too easy to block them. Also there is a bit of randomness in this one as you need decent weather and little 'evasion' to get the sub before it gets to the docks. Rudel can take it (strength 20) out in two shots. If you cant get it becuase of weather or evasion then the units it disgorges are a nuisance as by this time your units have moved elsewhere. There is no air activity other than some static AA in this one. The last (most northerly) VH on both peninsulae are well defended. The trick is to have an airborne para sneak behind on the west one and then when that one is taken do the same with the one on the other peninsula
Core activity: Disband all AT and all but one tank from previous scenario. Prestige now = 4360.
Deployed: Softcap = 100%. Left peninsula; 2x wurf, 1x sturm,x para (air), KV1c, 3x SE P4, sturm, wurf, pionere, heinkel, stuka, rudel. Centre; 2x wurf, 1x sturm. Right; P4 (S+2), SE P4, stuf f8, grenadier, M+3.
Destroyed:10,10,2,5,4,2,0,0,0,0. Total = 33
Comments: Took some expected losses on the paras.
Attachments
replay(09.03.2018) Gironde, Turn 17.rar
(46.45 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

6) Syracuse: [DV] Prestige = 6015 [two free units, enemy goes first]
Strategy: This is a very difficut scenario. The enemy is very strong everywhere. Their air force is particularly strong in both number and stats of units. My plan is; Agressively go after their airforce. Physically block the invasions at gela, augusta and syracuse. Take out as many units as you can while they are in transport. Everything gets upgraded before this scenario so all my prestige will be used up. While the advance/invasion is being blocked try to evacuate units via two routes. The coastal route behind the tigers and the other route above gela. Above gela you should use some infantry units plus wurfrahmen to clear the path of enemy infantry. It is rough terrain. The coastal path is open terrain suited to tanks. Your tanks will be used to block the big attack of enemy tanks from the south up that route but it is still best to finish as quickly as possible. There will be more waves of air activity during the scenario. Although most of the italian units are rubbish you need to save as many as possible iether for disbandable prestige or for another later scenario. It doesnt matter what state they are in as long as they survive as they can be repaired for free. A few of them are actually usefull as well.
Core activity: Upgrade everything. Disanded one sturmpanzer (because of too low prestige) and bought another wurfrahmen.
Deployed: softcap at deployment = 43%, this went down to about 31% after the two free units were triggered. Once you have tigers and the advanced infantry your softcap penalty shoots up dramatically. Left group; 3x wurf, SE P4ivh, grenadier, para, sig38, 4x 190a, heinkel, rudel. Right group; 3x SE tiger, tiger (S+2), wurf, m+3, KV1c, 190a, 109.
Destroyed: 23,10,2,4,7,0,0,6,3,2. Total = 57
Comments: Difficult but I managed to take 21 italian units with me, you only need 7 to get a DV however in a later scenario theoretically you need to use "18" ( you can actually get away with 14). If disbanded all of these italian units are worth 4602!. For the moment I will leave 14 of them as they are since most of my units are already upgraded but I will disband the most expensive units for the prestige. The 12.8cm flak is also not that usefull. The 12.8 cant be switched to AT mode like the 88mm and although the attack stats are slightly better I dont think it is worth that loss of flexibility. I wont actually be using static AT much in this or the next campaign so I will disband it for prestige.
Attachments
replay(11.03.2018) Syracuse, Turn 13.rar
(53.68 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

You then get a choice for one scenario between the americans or english. I choose the english path as I find it easier.

7) Etna line south. [MV] Prestige = 1347 [150 prestige per turn]
Strategy: An easy defensive scenario if you go for an MV which I am deliberately going for. There is a vigorous air action but in general the enemy ground units act like lemmings. You can just block them at two choke points and take little losses except for air activity. The last wave of air activity just before the end arrives additionally wth a load of mobile AA units from the enemy so it can be a bit expensive on air units. You can deploy some of the italian units you just aquired but they would need to be evacuated early/before the end so they are not that useful.
Core activity: Minor repairs. Overstrengthed the SE tigers and the fighters. Disbanded surplus italian units. Disbanded 12.8 flak. I have now 3791 prestige!. I bought an 88mm flak. Bought a 17cm art. Bought a gebirjager.
Deployed: Softcap = 58%. North group; 2x SE tiger, grenadier, Gerbirjager, 88mm, 17cm, 2x wurf. South group; SE tiger, tiger (S+2), wurf, P4ivh, M+3 para. Air; 5x Fw190a, Me 410.
Destroyed: 17,16,8,0,5,2,0,6,7,2. Total = 63
Comments: Straightforward.
Attachments
replay(15.03.2018) Etna Line South, Turn 17.rar
(50.35 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Last edited by hugh2711 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

8 ) Messina [DV] prestige = 3899. [two free units]
Strategy: Although it says to transport 18 units over you only actually need 14 as the two air and two fort units already there can be counted towards the 18 so once again if you havent already; disband the most expensive ones (like the tanks) for the prestige leaving 14 italian units left. You may want to to keep the three towed arty units as they can be useful during this scenario. For this evacuation you get two heroed experimental air units, the down point is you just lose those 14 units but if they are the really cheap useless ones its a good deal. If however your only surviving Italain units are the expensive ones then the decision wether to just go for the MV or not is marginal and may depend on the composition of the 9 units you started with. It is quite important when you transport the units over to 'take' all the hexes in the mainland as although they are nominally under your contol if you look on the strategic map you will see they are coloured for the enemy so IF you retake them you will get alot of easy free prestige, 13 hexes worth.
Core activity: Converted last p4 to tiger. overstrength tigers. Minor repairs, mainly to airforce.
Deployed: Softcap = 47%. 4x SE tiger, tiger (S+2), 17cm, 3x wurf, sig38, para, M+3, grenadier, 88mm. Air; 6xfw190a, me410, heinkel. Plus 14 italian units of only the three towed artilliary and the two AA will be used.
Destroyed:16,16,3,3,5,0,0,8,4,2. Total = 57
Comments:As expected, tough airforce but relatively easy when you know the tricks. I lost some points to some careless moves in that.
Attachments
replay(14.03.2018) Messina, Turn 15.rar
(49.43 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Last edited by hugh2711 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

You now get a choice for 1 scenario. I go for the "keeping an eye on the italians" as it seems easier.

9) Catanzaro [DV] Prestige = 3651
Strategy: Straightforward/easy scenario. The hardest part is the air war. A couple of waves of attack, one initially. There are also a couple of tank counter attacks initially but your tigers brush them aside. Send one tiger over the river followed by your infantry with arty support to take catanzaro while the rest go south to take the other VH's. The enemy naval support can be a nuisance if you take your infantry too close to the coast. I deploy my heinkel to take care of that. The two new experimental units you just aquired are good, quite deployable but they are not rudel! and they dont have experience. The decision as to wether to keep them or not is not clear as they are very expensive, the TB is 762, considerably more than an me410 (492) and the fighter 635 once again considerably more. They will be used in future campigns, their heroes are good but as I said before it is not clear wether they are worth it or not and would it be better to disband them for prestige. Because this scenario is easy you may want to prolong it a bit for target practice i.e. clear around but dont take the last victory hex untill the last turn. You do have time to take some but not all of the secondary hexes.
Core Activity: Repairs, mainly to air force. Bought a Sdkfz7/1 just for the fun of it.
Deployed:Softcap at 48%. 4x wurf, 4x SE tiger, tiger, stuf f8, para, grenadier, M+3, Sdkfz7/1, 4x fw190a, TA 152H, Me 410, Do 355a, Heinkel.
Destroyed: 17,15,8,3,8,3,0,4,5,4. Total = 68
Comments: As expected.
Attachments
replay(16.03.2018) Catanzaro, Turn 17.rar
(48.86 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

10) Taranto [DV] Prestige = 3765 [two capturable units]
Strategy: Straightforward/easy scenario. Initial deployment is important to make it easy and make good initial progress. If you sacrifice a recon, by using the initial deployment you can make a DV really easy (see replay). Also it is too easy to finish it early but if you prolong it you can take every hex.The hard part about this scenario is the air war.There is a initial wave at the beginning and another about half way through. You have to leave a couple of units to stop the attack on the left/west peninsula, the rest just take the main town and keep going. You will need more than one tactical bomber for this one. The more units in transport you sink before they are unloaded the easier it is. You are given a couple of souped up strat bombers to help. They can kill a ship with one shot. You are also given a useful scout plane with massive spotting which is also useful. You have time to take secondary hexes.
Core activity: Minor repairs. Bought two recon.
Deployed: Softcap = 60% at start 4x wurf, 4x SE tiger, tiger, 2x recon, para, M+3, grenadier, pionere, 17cm, sig38, 3x fw190a, TA152H, Me410, Do355a, Heinkel.
Destroyed: 25,13,0,6,8,4,0,3,4,1. Total = 64
comments: I will be disbanding the two free units for prestige as although they are good units since they are italian there will come a point where they just disappear without recompense and also I dont know their upgrade future if they have one so giving them experience would be a waste. The tank is worth 446 and the AA 364.
Attachments
replay(17.03.2018) Taranto, Turn 17.rar
(48.39 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

11) Volturno line [DV] Prestige = 4324
Strategy: A difficult scenario. A small map but very crowded.There are alot of strong attacks both air and ground. There are also some mobileAA units against you. The scenario feels like you are short of unit slots. You need a strong defensive position behind the volturno river where they attack in numbers lemming style and at other points. You go first so you can take out some of their air in their pre-assigned postions if you can remember where they are. There are 4 units within range initially but you will take some air losses The last two VH's beyond the rivers are quite exposed and difficult to retake and hold on to. I dont always get a DV on this. As they all concentrate on the volturno river crossing north of naples you do have time to take secondary hexes on other parts of the map with your tigers.
Core activity: Disband 2 italian units (prestige now 5134), minor repairs.
Deployed: Softcap = 59%. North group; wurf, tiger, M+3, wurf, SE tiger, para. centre group; 2x SE tiger, 2x wurf, sig38, 17cm, pionere. South group; stug, SE tiger, grenadier, Para (air). Air; 4x190a, TA152h, Me410, Do 355.
Destroyed: 33,10,5,3,8,1,0,6,6,2. Total = 74
Comments: As expected. With better timing it might be possible to transfer a tiger from the north to get a killing field just behind 'castel volturno', also with better timing it should be possible to take more secondary hexes.
Attachments
replay(17.03.2018) Volturno Line, Turn 17.rar
(49.75 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Last edited by hugh2711 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

Save of last turn/end core from GC42/3 West.
Attachments
endcore 42WEST(17.03.2018) Volturno Line, Turn 17.rar
(49.8 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

The next scenario in GC44west starts with 6444 prestige. I basically need to save up for two large mass conversions. Tigers to king tigers and fw190a's to me232's. Both of these will be very expensive due to the number involved and the fact they will be 'out of family' upgrades. As you can see already the softcap is severely limiting my income. This will get worse quite quickly.
Total units destroyed in this campaign = 569

Core:
Infantry; The units I brought with me are great but I have not really used any other ones much consequently they are very weak. This will become a problem later. I should have trained up at least one other to hero status.
Tanks; I have a very good selection of tanks with heroes. The tigers will keep their edge untill king tigers are available and they are invincible! (except from the air). I have a 1 star KV1c which can also be converted to a king tiger when needed.
Arty; As you can see I tend to use wurfrahmen for everything, with the range+1 hero they can do everything well and they can move long distances and then fire which makes them invaluable in attack.
Air; My airforce is quite good, lots of good heroes but they are needed because the stats of the allied planes are also pretty good now. I am still expecting more additional heroes for them. Since I have a strong airforce I have neglected my static AA deliberately.
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

GC44WEST

1) Anzio [DV] Prestige = 6444 [50 prestige per turn]
Strategy: Difficut scenario. Large map. A mostly defensive scenario. A strong enemy airforce, very agressive. A couple of enemy units are in range of your starting positions, if you can remember where they are. One enemy unit also attacks a specific position/dump so a trap can be set. The terrain is mixed. It is worth holding onto the dumps as the minefields you get for them are quite usefull.
Core activity: Upgrade new SE tank to tiger. Minor repairs. Upgrade stug to stug4.
Deployed: Softcap = 67%. NB it is 70% by the end because of the loss of overstrengthed points. 4 groups+air; a) grenadier, gerbirjager, wurf, sig38, SE tiger. b) wurf, 17cm, para (air), tiger. c) 2x SE tiger, wurf, stug4, M+3, mobileAA. d) para, wurf, tiger. air; 5x fw190a, Me410, Do355a, TA152h.
Destroyed: 29,7,1,1,7,0,0,7,4,2. Total = 58
Comments: Could have been alot worse, only minor repairs. I was very fortunate getting 2 A+3 heroes including specifically one on the new tank which I would have thought was impossible since it did not have the right number of kills. I have said before in the forums I dont really believe the heroes are 'random' and that they tend to come in batches. edit; dalfrede just kindly pointed out to me; in GC44 the first hero range is 1-300 not 100-300
Attachments
replay(18.03.2018) Anzio, Turn 15.rar
(49.7 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

2) Cassino [DV] Prestige = 7435 [one free unit]
Strategy: Not easy. Small map. Strong enemy airforce, a few big waves. The trick in this one is to initially slow them down with the mines you place (which you just earned in the previous scenario) while you take up position then hold them against the Liri and Rapido rivers. Then when you have dealt with most of them go beyond the river and take the last two VH's. To boost your prestige intake you should let them take a few hexes to retake them for the prestige. Initial deployment can be quite complex as there are a number of groups with different objectives some quite far from the main action. You also need to do a staggered deployment. You do get a few aux units for the usual fodder.
Core activity: Minor repairs.
Deployed: Softcap = 81%., goes to 73%. North group; SE Tiger, sig38, 17cm, para, gerbirj. South group; SE tiger, 3x wurf, para. Centre; 3x SE tiger, tiger (S+2), 88mm, MobileAA, wurf. grenadier, M+3 , pionere. Air; 4x 190a, Ta152h, Do355a, Me410
Destroyed: 24,5,2,7,9,1,0,7,4,7. Total = 66
Comments: As expected, Lost alot of points in air attacks. The free air unit is heroed quite highly but it is a BF109 and it is non-upgradeable. Its heroes only just make up for its comparative weakness however since it is an SE unit it does not count towards slots in deployment. However I will disband it before the end of this campaign as it would block another SE tank at the start of the next campaign. In the meantime it is quite cheap being an older model so I will use it for initial attacks where I know I will lose points.
Attachments
replay(18.03.2018) Cassino, Turn 14.rar
(52.46 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

3) Monte Cassino [DV] Prestige = 8422 [+75 per turn prestige, enemy goes first.]
Strategy: Strong air war. Similar to above; hold them at the river, thin them out then retake the town hexes. You have to let them take some hexes to retake them to get some prestige. It is possible to force lots of surrenders at the crossing on the liri river or otherwise just easily destroy them on the rivers. The pressure of their numbers will mean that they bunch up there. There is a mobile AA right in the centre which I will take out immediately at the beginning. You get some aux paras and nebelwerfers which are useful. You may have to sacrifice a couple of the paras at the beginning to take out the mobileAA. There are some large counter attacks but nothing tigers cant block.
Core activity: Repairs to airforce.
Deployed: Softcap = 64%. Grenadier, 2x para, M+3, pionere, Tiger (S+2), KV1c, 5xSE tiger, 17cm, 4x wurf, stug4, 88mm, mobileAA, 6x fighter, 3x Tactical bomber.
Destroyed: 31,10,3,5,10,2,0,9,7,4. Total = 81
Comments: As expected.
Attachments
replay(19.03.2018) Monte Cassino, Turn 15.rar
(52.98 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Last edited by hugh2711 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

4) Beaches of Normandy [DV] Prestige = 10960 [+75 prestige per turn, enemy goes first]
Strategy: Large map. The enemy appears to have overwhelming numbers at first in this but it is surprisingly easier than it appears to get a DV. It is more fun and challenging to destroy all the enemy units on land and take ALL the beaches for lots of prestige. The only difficult bit is the very agressive air war. Their planes have high stats and will target any weak planes including fighters. There are three waves of attack one at the beginning, one about half way through and the biggest one just before the end. King tigers have just become available so first convert all your tanks to them, it may be possible with tigers, I havent tried it. For all the beaches you need to make the most of the few aux units and strongpoints that are already there. They dont really last but you want them to block as many landings as possible for as long as possible or do a much damage as they can. For the beach on the right of the orne river you send over a paratrooper to help and you clear that with strat bombers first. For the beaches to the left of that river you send in your tanks and a few other tough units and sweep from right to left destroying units as they land and blocking more from landing. Behind you a level bomber or two and a couple of tactical bombers finish off the already weakend transports in the water. You can only use these when they are covered and the skies are clear. Ignore the bunch of enemy paratroopers etc inland on the left, they dont do anything.
Core activity: Upgrade all tigers to king tigers. Minor upgrade to fw190a's. Minor repairs. Major repair to kv1c. Upgrade me410 to fw190g (,expensive out of family upgrade but it is worth it for the higher fighter attack). Bought another strategic bomber.
Deployed: Softcap at its lowest about 55%. M+3, para, Ktiger (S+2), KV1c, 5x SE Ktiger, recon, 4x wurfrhmen, stug4, 88mm, mobileAA. 6xfw190a, Ta152h, SE109g, Do355a, rudel, 2x heinkel, 2x Sdkfz 251/1.
Destroyed: 51,4,0,12,6,0,0,17,1,0. Total = 101
Comments: I lost a recon at the end because I had a wierd problem with my mouse and didnt want to play it all again. As expected. That last wave of fighters is very strong, I was fortunate to avoid them otherwise my repair bill would have been alot higher. If you try to retake ALL the beaches this scenario is actually a high earning one.
Attachments
replay(20.03.2018) Beaches of Normandy, Turn 14.rar
(56.62 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Last edited by hugh2711 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

5) Bayeaux [DV] Prestige = 4134 [two capturable units]
Strategy: Staightforward scenario. Medium map. Some air activity. Split into three groups, one small group on the left bypasses the main urban area and goes for the port and the two capturables, it then proceeds to the last VH. One in the middle goes straight for the town, it then proceeds to the last VH. The one on the right goes to the northwest via the town. It then proceds to the last VH. The last VH is after alot of rough terrain.It is very important to get the capturables as the tank has really good heroes so is worth keeping. There is a big tank counter attack on the right after the town. The hex with the capturables is very well defended. There are a couple of waves of air activity. The obvious thing about this one is not to get your expensive tanks stuck and vulnerable in some rough terrain. You get a mixed bag of aux units to help, they are useful in the town as bait/diversions.
Core activity: repair to Do335a. free repair to SE 109.
Deployed: Softcap = 66%. I actualy deployed one less unit than allotted as it wa just not needed. Left group; para, grenadier, M+3, 4x wurf, SE KT, T (S+2) centre group; 88mm, 17cm, sig38, gerbirj, SE KT, right group; 3x SE KT, stug4, mobile AA, para, pionere. Air; 5xF, 2x TB, 1x SB.
Destroyed: 21,15,2,10,8,2,0,9,3,4. Total =74
Comments: I was careless and finished that a little early, I should have delayed, finished them all off and added a couple of extra kills. The free tank is D+3 M+2. When converted to a king tiger this is great with the M+2. I will disband the wolverine, it is worth 317 and it is not as good as a stug4.
Attachments
replay(22.03.2018) Bayeux, Turn 14.rar
(51.11 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
hugh2711

Post by hugh2711 »

6) Villiers-Bocage [DV] Prestige = 5293
Strategy: This is a difficult scenario but becomes much easier when you know the trick. It is a diamond shaped large urban sprawl bisected into quarters. You need to decide beforehand wether you are going for a DV or an MV. I personally think it is easier to get a DV than an MV in this. It is actually quite difficult to find the units you are supposed to destroy for a DV, you need recon or spotting units to enable you to see what is going on in all of the town. If you go for the MV you are in for an urban sprawl close combat slog which is inherently expensive and I would take unacceptable losses. The urban area is roughly diamond shaped. There are no air units in this including your own. For DV; One group goes north and destroys some units around a top northeast VH outside the urban area. It then swings around the north and west sides taking out any outlying relevant units and any that are in the way. It also enters the urban area when needed (you can use the clear hex roads that bisect) and when the units are thinned out. Another group enters from the south east and does the same. It is then relatively easy and you can take a few secondary hexes for extra prestige. Just dont put your expensive king tigers in any of the town hexes, you can destroy most of the relevant targets from the edge/clear hexes.
Core activity: Disband wolverine. Convert heroed firefly to king tiger. Bought a couple of recon units. converted KV1c to king tiger. Bought another grenadier (which didnt really get used).
Deployed: I actually deployed 6 less units than alloted so I am way under the softcap. 2c grenadier, 2x para, M+3, Gerbirj, pionere, 3x KT, 5x SE KT, 2x recon, stug4, 17cm, 4x wurf, sig38.
Destroyed: 11,16,1,7,6,0,0,0,0,0. Total = 41
Comments: Took some losses on an infantry after I got impatient.
Attachments
replay(23.03.2018) Villers-Bocage, Turn 14.rar
(47.92 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”