US Corps '42 - 45 (Ultimate)

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: US Corps '42 - 45 (Ultimate)

Post by huckc »

Scenario 11 '44-45: Bastogne

In this scenario you're meant to move up from the far south and help the beleaguered defenders facing their pending doom in and around Bastogne, including the 101st Airborne.

I didn't realize it until this playthrough, but you can actually buy new units directly in Bastogne to help out immediately. So I did just that, since I could not get up to the city in time to actually do anything. I tried, but it just wasn't effective given the amount enemy units in the way, the hexes needed to travel, and the frozen ground fuel cost.

Result
Turn 10 MV, scenario ended with five core units in Bastogne.

Rest battle for my core :lol:
Attachments
(20.11.2017) Bastogne, Turn 10 MV.zip
(84.84 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Scenario 12 '44-45: Houffalize

Then enemy is quite strong on this map, especially the Luftwaffe so I deployed a total of 9 AA units in order hammer them down to a manageable strength before my 10 health thunderbolts dealt with them. Five of them are new purchases mainly to help in this scenario and maybe the next few, or as I like to say "contracted out".

The enemy also has two V-1 and one V-2 rockets at their disposal within range of my units on turn 1. The V-2 was especially deadly and single handedly took out an aux AA unit.

Result
Turn 13 MV, Houffalize taken

Attachments
(23.11.2017) Houffalize, Turn 13 MV.zip
(90.05 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Panzerpimp
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Panzerpimp »

This is great AAR. Thank You so much. Breathtaking...

I should quote though:
Kerensky wrote:I tried this difficulty when it first came out. It made the tutorial unplayable, to say nothing of the real game campaigns. :) Impossible turned out to just too literal in this case. ;)
Now I challenge you to finish the tutorial with this difficulty...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Make love, not war.
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Panzerpimp wrote:This is great AAR. Thank You so much. Breathtaking...

I should quote though:
Kerensky wrote:I tried this difficulty when it first came out. It made the tutorial unplayable, to say nothing of the real game campaigns. :) Impossible turned out to just too literal in this case. ;)
Now I challenge you to finish the tutorial with this difficulty...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thank you.

Looks like the tutorial campaign is locked to Colonel. Maybe they changed that with a recent patch?
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Scenario 13 '44-45: Remagen

The Luftwaffe is even stronger than the last scenario so I deployed my 9-strong AA contingent again to deal with the two super-charged enemy fighters and V-1 rockets.

Extremely hard scenario, a nailbiter the whole way thru.

Deployment
Split my army in half in the north and south as usual for this map. All the AA in the south which will contain the enemy air bait zone.

Upgraded all but two of my Shermans to the newly available jumbo 76mm, a huge upgrade. The two remaining are actually my top tanks and opted to sit them out this scenario to build experience with the others and keep the option of upgrade these two to Pershings if I deem it prudent.

Bought a brand new B-25H to serve its useful life to bait one of the enemy fighters on the first turn. Will free repair and disband it most likely.

Plan of attack:

Very potent armor guarding the area leading up to Remagen bridge

Turn breakdown

Turn 1
Entirely focused on baiting the enemy aircraft into a favorable position within range of my AA. Thru trial and error restarts I came up with a move that destroyed both V-1 rockets and left their fighters within range of my AA while only taking one big hit to a thunderbolt.

Turn 2
Destroyed the entire Luftwaffe this turn so no longer need to worry about fighters.

Finally moved up my ground troops to deal with the fortified enemy positions on the roads leading to Bonn in the north and thru the forest in the south.

Turns 3-7
Finished mopping up the initial screen of defenders and ready to proceed to the siege of Bonn and to the south up to the clear ground that forks to the other two objectives, the river hex on Remagen bridge and the city of Koblenz.

There is some extremely dangerous armor in the middle of the map that threatens both forces. A 3-star Tiger II, JagdPanther, and JagdTiger. The latter will be easy to deal with by ammo reducing it with a strat bomber then hitting it a couple times with infantry to fully deplete its ammo.

Turn 7-8
My units in the north are now touching Bonn, with only an infantry and artillery now defending it should be capitulating very soon.

In the south I hit the JagdTiger with two attacks from a B-17 then two attacks from infantry to empty its ammo. It had extra ammo so had to take two hits from a strat bomber.

Turn 9
Bonn falls and I move those forces to the south to help taken Remagen bridge.

Turn 12
Koblenz is taken in the far south. Now I just need to capture Remagen bridge in order to secure victory.

Turn 13
Final turn, need to take Remagen bridge or else dismissal. Guarding it was a Panzer IVJ that was surrounded by occupied hexes so I was able to surrender it with a Sherman which then rolled onto it backed by a heavy artillery to support it with any counter-attacks during the enemy's turn.

Fortunately the enemy opted not to attack resulting in a nice and uneventful final action. There were two enemy strongpoints at 20 health that were able to attack it but I guess they didn't have enough strength to attack my jumbo profitably on the bridge backed by a 12-strength M12.

Result
Turn 13 MV, All objectives captured
No core units lossed, but expensive damage

Attachments
(20.01.2018) Remagen, Turn 13 MV.zip
(82.09 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Molve
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: US Corps '42 - ? (Ultimate)

Post by Molve »

huckc wrote:Scenario 5 '43: San Fratello

The focus for this map was on the main objective, San Fratello in the south. Defending it were some very strong units, some on fortification hexes, backed by artillery. The key here being hugging them and not allowing room for maneuvering to attack my more vulnerable targets.

I feel sort of bad forgoing the flanking naval landings for the northernly flags, but I needed to conserve prestige which I'm hemorrhaging right now.

Result:
Turn 10 MV
This map is actually quite astoundingly easy once you "crack" it - once the amphibious force gets ashore, the enemy forces are programmed to retreat. Choose four sturdy units and they turkey-shoot the entire enemy all by themselves (and even if not, it's a huge windfall the enemy gives up their entrenched positions).

Of course, that's on regular difficulty! :)
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Molve wrote:
huckc wrote:Scenario 5 '43: San Fratello

The focus for this map was on the main objective, San Fratello in the south. Defending it were some very strong units, some on fortification hexes, backed by artillery. The key here being hugging them and not allowing room for maneuvering to attack my more vulnerable targets.

I feel sort of bad forgoing the flanking naval landings for the northernly flags, but I needed to conserve prestige which I'm hemorrhaging right now.

Result:
Turn 10 MV
This map is actually quite astoundingly easy once you "crack" it - once the amphibious force gets ashore, the enemy forces are programmed to retreat. Choose four sturdy units and they turkey-shoot the entire enemy all by themselves (and even if not, it's a huge windfall the enemy gives up their entrenched positions).

Of course, that's on regular difficulty! :)
Yeah that's a fun maneuver, not sure exactly why I skipped it here but I probably figured I'd take too much damage and/or needed those slots for the assault on San Fratello.

On a general note I'm on the very last scenario, Operation Unthinkable, but have been playing the GC full-on.
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

huckc wrote:Scenario 9 '43: Naples
I also sent one aux airborne up Mount Vesuvius to capture the jeep...
Just in time too :lol:. Reading The Day of Battle by Rick Atkinson I just learned that it actually erupted a few months after this battle while the allies were still trying to break through to Rome :shock:

Shot by John Reinhardt, B24 tailgunner is the USAAF in WWII

The tephra and hot ash destroyed around 80 B-25s that were parked in an airfield nearby. "The only case of planes destroyed by rocks."

Lava flow engulfing a village to the west of Vesuvius, 1944. Note the US soldiers in the bottom right.
Credits: http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/cdm/s ... d/91/rec/6

I wonder if all the vibrations from the bombings help set it off, it was the last major eruption.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I am still getting destroyed on this battle "Naples" I can't keep my units alive
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

demyansk wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:28 pm I am still getting destroyed on this battle "Naples" I can't keep my units alive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQIgDNcalb4
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:52 pm
demyansk wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:28 pm I am still getting destroyed on this battle "Naples" I can't keep my units alive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQIgDNcalb4
US Corps eventually broke me at the tail end. :(
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”