Allied Corps - British only at FM then at Eisenhower

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: Allied Corps - British only at FM then at Eisenhower

Post by goose_2 »

This summarized style and comparison of play style from Field Marshall to Eisenhower (Manstein) is very interesting.

Thanks for doing this.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Cerberus51
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Cerberus51 »

I am trying to pick out the differences between the two levels. To see the detail you really need to compare the replay files for each scenario at the two difficulties.
Last edited by Cerberus51 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cerberus51

Post by Cerberus51 »

SIDI BARRANI

1265pp. Bought Beaufighter, upgraded both artillery to 6" and both infantry to engineers. No OS. After replacements that left just 143pp.

Normal strength Italian units aren't particularly dangerous and often don't attack or don't do much damage when they do. +5 strength is just a whole different world where they attack at every opportunity and do expensive damage as a result. Even the minefields were 12 str - fortunately an engineer still takes them out with one shot. The Italian cruiser was a headache, only the Beaufighter (which has good naval attack for a tac bomber) could damage it and even then was taking almost as much in return. At one point I was down to 7 prestige.

All that notwithstanding by turn 11 Sidi Barrani and the 3 fortification VH's were secured. With understrength units it would have been too much to try for both Buq Buq (the last VH) and Sofafi ($) so I decided to try for the triumph. Destroyed the last unit defending Buq Buq on turn 15, not enough time for Sofafi so occupied the last VH. Triumph, 15/18, 237pp.
Attachments
(21.04.2017) Sidi Barrani, Turn 15.pzrpl.zip
(49.96 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Cerberus51 wrote:SIDI BARRANI

Even the minefields were 12 str - fortunately an engineer still takes them out with one shot. .

Wow! This is a great way for Pioniere's and Engineers to rack up kill count to earntheir first hero at minimal loss to themselves, I am going to remember that when I reach those battles, that have mines in the grand Campaign.
goose_2

Cerberus51

Post by Cerberus51 »

BARDIA

1737pp

Usual plan of one attack in the centre towards the middle outer VH. By turn 12 the inland forts were destroyed and the three outer VH's captured. I should have stopped there but decided to press on and try for a triumph. On turn 16 I realised I wasn't going to get the last VH and pulled back but had spent too much prestige on replacements in the scenario and was down to 32pp.

Finished with a victory on 18/18 with 82pp.

Looking at my position I think I have simply used too much prestige to get to this point, something I put down to my lack of experience at this difficulty. With the scenarios getting harder I don't think I can get much further from this position. By comparison at Field Marshal I had 3877pp starting Beda Fomm compared to 582pp at Eisenhower. I am going to take a break and think on whether this difficulty is too much for me and to give it up or to take what I have learned and restart the campaign.
Attachments
(26.04.2017) Bardia, Turn 18.pzrpl.zip
(53.57 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Cerberus51 wrote:BARDIA

1737pp

Usual plan of one attack in the centre towards the middle outer VH. By turn 12 the inland forts were destroyed and the three outer VH's captured. I should have stopped there but decided to press on and try for a triumph. On turn 16 I realised I wasn't going to get the last VH and pulled back but had spent too much prestige on replacements in the scenario and was down to 32pp.

Finished with a victory on 18/18 with 82pp.

Looking at my position I think I have simply used too much prestige to get to this point, something I put down to my lack of experience at this difficulty. With the scenarios getting harder I don't think I can get much further from this position. By comparison at Field Marshal I had 3877pp starting Beda Fomm compared to 582pp at Eisenhower. I am going to take a break and think on whether this difficulty is too much for me and to give it up or to take what I have learned and restart the campaign.
Oh please restart this campaign and grow from what you have learned, it is nice to see the difficulty and frustration of a fellow player attempting battles at this level. It is crazy, but oh so rewarding when you succeed.

Some battles have taken me multiple try's, as I am going to do a 3rd attempt at Reims, as my 2nd playthrough is going well, but not well enough as I made some mistakes that have stymied my plans, so I want to try again without the idiotic rushes that have cost me precious time and costly repairs.

I am enjoying seeing your comparisons, so please reconsider.
goose_2

Cerberus51

Post by Cerberus51 »

I have started again and will play up to Bardia and see how it goes. Actually I am pleasantly surprised that I managed to destroy the supply dump as well as all the trucks in Border Raids - so a good beginning.

I definitely need to accept having to retry some scenarios and that it will be necessary to settle for a victory at times when the prestige cost of pushing for a triumph would be too high.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Cerberus51 wrote:I have started again and will play up to Bardia and see how it goes. Actually I am pleasantly surprised that I managed to destroy the supply dump as well as all the trucks in Border Raids - so a good beginning.

I definitely need to accept having to retry some scenarios and that it will be necessary to settle for a victory at times when the prestige cost of pushing for a triumph would be too high.

YAY!! :mrgreen:
goose_2

Cerberus51

Post by Cerberus51 »

Started again. New replay files posted. Only notable differences for the first three scenarios are that I destroyed the supply dump in Border Raids and had 1038pp at the end of Girba (compared to 1206 at Field Marshal and 718 on my first try at Eisenhower).
Attachments
(27.04.2017) Battle of Girba, Turn 16.pzrpl.zip
(46.95 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
(27.04.2017) Fort Capuzzo, Turn 18.pzrpl.zip
(45.09 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
(26.04.2017) Border Raids, Turn 12.pzrpl.zip
(43.53 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Cerberus51

Post by Cerberus51 »

Italian Offensive went rather better. Still lost the light cruiser but finished nearly 900pp up on previously.

Taranto Raid - did the minimum, sank 2 battleships and pulled back. Victory.

Sidi Barrani - Changed strategy here and concentrated most units on one VH at a time to start with. After taking Sidi Barrani and the three fortification VH's I decided to go for Sofafi and the prestige reward rather than the triumph. Victory. Finished with 1808pp compared to 2457 at Field Marshal and only 237 first try at Eisenhower.

This run is going rather better but the higher strength enemy units require a different, more cautious, approach compared to Field Marshal. Makes this campaign a real challenge.
Attachments
(30.04.2017) Sidi Barrani, Turn 18.pzrpl.zip
(50.22 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
(28.04.2017) Taranto Raid, Turn 12.pzrpl.zip
(49.64 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
(27.04.2017) Italian Offensive, Turn 19.pzrpl.zip
(53.14 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I am greatly pleased with your progress, and illustrating how much can be learned by different strategies trying at even higher levels, it hones your skills and makes you try different things.
Yay! :mrgreen:
goose_2

Cerberus51

Post by Cerberus51 »

BARDIA

3308pp.
Bought two Matildas and a Beaufighter. Previously I bought just one Matilda here and the other two units at Crete but knowing there is no air opposition for the next two scenarios I am taking the opportunity to blood the second Beaufighter early, likewise the second Matilda (which I expect to need at Beda Fomm). The downside of not deploying my fighters is that they will not gain easy experience against ground targets.

Decided from the start to only take the 3 VH's needed for victory - a triumph, even if achieved, would cost too much prestige.

No major incidents, took the 3 outer VH's and tried to avoid using replacements. Victory, 18/18, 1283pp (previously 3377 at FM and 82 :shock: at Eisenhower - but I have purchased 2 extra units in comparison).
Attachments
(30.04.2017) Bardia, Turn 18.pzrpl.zip
(53.02 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Much approved and with a stronger army than previously, this bodes well for you.
goose_2

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”