How and why so many AAR's

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

How and why so many AAR's

Post by goose_2 »

Ok I feel the necessity to just let you in on an insight on how I am able to type up so many updates on my reports and where I find time to play this great game.

Not sure anyone is interested but I have time so I here is a little inside baseball stuff, for those interested.

First I am a hunter and pecker at typing so it does take me a considerable amount of time to type up these AAR's.
So...where do I find the time?
I do almost all of my forum checking and typing when I am here at work.
At the end of October I was hired in a different position at my job and have been being trained on my new role.

All I have left to get started in actually doing my job is to take tests so I can receive my delegation.
The problem is getting these tests organized and set up.
So for example the past few days I have had nothing to do as they have been unable to schedule a test for me, except on Monday which when it flipped in authority they could not use it for my test. This leaves me with an enormous amount of time to just sit here at work and do literally nothing...so I type up reports.

I should hopefully get my tests done soon which will unfortunately mean I no longer have time to type up as many updates, so I will enjoy it while it lasts.
This is why and how I have had so much time to type these things up.

2nd I have 8 beautiful children and a loving marriage to the most beautiful woman on earth so...How do I find time to play?
I do not need much sleep 5 or 6 hours per day leaves me time where I am awake and my family is not so that is when and how I play.

I will try and type up some updates as I am completed with Piatek on Manstein and I can see based on posts about my playthrough that is the one that has the most interest.
Piatek on Manstein was insane and you will see how I did with those massive units coming at me. It gives me just the tiny bit of inkling what it will be like to try and hold Berlin on Manstein.

Last night I was able to bust through Kampinsoka Forest on Guderian. It had the best possible ending I could have ever hoped for as it was exciting to try and destroy the correct number of trains and seize all primary objectives within the time frame. (I am enjoying typing these up and am really trying to capture more of the Narrative in that AAR.) I am excited to type that one up.

I have just started the first 6 days of my Italian challenge on the 3rd mission, and I might be able to type this one up if any one is interested in my progress so far or would you rather wait until I have completed the mission before I type it up? (Let me know)

I should also start to complete some more of my day by day of my 1945 playthrough on Field Marshall.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
goose_2

Re: How and why so many AAR's

Post by goose_2 »

I have some time today and my weekend was spent very busily busting through more of my campaigns. (I was sick and unable to do much else this weekend)
I am in Oslo currently in Manstein
I am in Lillaehammer in Guderian
I finished Dash to the Wire in my Afrika Korps

So I hopefully will get some time to type up a few reports and updates today.
Any requests on areas to start? Manstein, Rommel, Guderian, or my Field Marshall 45 Campaign?

Let me know
goose_2

Panzerpimp
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Panzerpimp »

Please, continue with the Afrika Korps. It's the most interesting campaign, especially with the Italian challenge and your commentary.
Make love, not war.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Panzerpimp wrote:Please, continue with the Afrika Korps. It's the most interesting campaign, especially with the Italian challenge and your commentary.
Nice to see a request.
I was able to complete the latest mission 2nd Offensive last night, but I am not sure I will get time to type it up today.

I actually am getting work at work to do so...
I will try during my lunches. ;)
goose_2

milliethedog
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by milliethedog »

Hi goose,
You must have a great Boss, it takes me ages to finger type these updates!

Martin.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Ok Quick update as of this weekend.
I finished Gazala.
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice as it really did help.
Man, that was a super long and difficult battle, I lost an important unit and will have questions once I post the results, but it could have been worse as I almost lost 3 units instead of just the 1 unit.

I also was able to bust out Eben Emael for Guderian and Manstein. This also ended up being pretty difficult, and I needed to replay the last turn on Manstein in order to get a Decisive Victory, and I said I was not going to do that, but I redid the last turn.

I could restart the mission for Manstein and try for a straight playthrough if anyone would ask, otherwise I am hoping to post sometime this week as work is now busy and I will only have lunches and the like to compose the AAR's.

Let me know your thoughts on Eben Emael, as I am trying to hold myself to a standard.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Just a quick moment for an update as work has gotten extremely busy and is limiting my time to post. I am trying to find time when and where I can though. ;)

I have very much enjoyed the comments I am seeing on my posts, especially Hurly's as they made me crack up as extremely unexpected and funny.

I am also limited in my gametime, but as of now I have finished Albert Canal for both Guderian and Manstein.
Guderian first time
Manstein 4th time :oops: Still not the best result but the fact that I received an SE Pz at the start of the next scenario and I was awarded the rare and unexpected +1 Spotting for my Recon. :D 8)

For Rommel.

I have finished Malta with no losses and some nice prestige to go into Alam Halfa.

I am trying to update Guderian, and then to post to Rommel.
I am thinking this weekend I may get time to update Rommel, but that is all.

Not enough time. :oops: :roll:
goose_2

Cerberus51
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Cerberus51 »

Take your time, they are worth waiting to read.
hugh2711
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by hugh2711 »

On the contrary there are not enough VIDEO AAR's. I would still like to find a battlefield europe 1.8 VIDEO AAR in english. the written ones dont have enough detail.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I am super happy that thanks to Hurly I can at least get my replays posted on here, I know they lack commentary on thinking and strategy, and I wish I could capture that but it is an improvement from where I started.

Update on where I am at.

I am hoping to finally finish typing up my report on Albert Canal for Guderian today. (They are fun to type up, but very time consuming.)
I did finish The Hague with Guderian this weekend, and I am extremely pleased with the final day because I pulled off a brilliant final round of combat. (Not to brag or anything.) :roll: :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:

I have tried The Hague twice trying 2 different things with the same army, but for this third time I think I will just try pulling everything I can back and simply try and destroy stuff in one great Northern push as taking stuff out piecemeal is just not possible on Manstein level. I am trying my best and this battle is extremely difficult, I may have to settle for yet another Marginal Victory.
(The tanks which the Dutch did not have historically are very frustrating. :evil: :wink: )

Alam Halfa is down and I hope to get that typed up some time this week.

Thanks again for all of the interest and encouragement.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Quick update:
I finished Sedan on Manstein and Guderian this weekend. 1st time through on both. :mrgreen: :oops: :P :lol:
Manstein took a lot of planning and had some very interesting results that I think you will enjoy reading about when I finally post it.

I took some time to reflect on my Afrika Korps Campaign as I am in a quandary on what to purchase. I have sent out some feelers for additional advice from some of my valued Generals.
I will probably wait until this upcoming weekend after getting additional sage advice on what to purchase and how to proceed.

Thanks for your interest and patience as I try to find time to keep posting these.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Quick update as I have had next to no time to type up an AAR at work.
Guderian I have finished Stonne, so my intention is to type up Sedan and Stonne some time this weekend.

Manstein I am studying up how to best do Maubeuge but unsure when or if I will find time to play this weekend.

Here is the biggie

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all the advice and support you have given me for My inquiry on the Rommel challenge, I have heard the message loud and clear and have swallowed my pride with accepting the 2ndary position for my air force. So with that said:
I have chose to buy 2 AA's in trucks, Piaggio, and an additional SP arty.
I have upgraded my 2 Pz3H's to Pz3L''s and I have overstrengthened my Fighter's by 1.
This has left me with 73 in remaining prestige, which is extremely tight, but I am hoping to force some surrenders or take some ground.

Thanks again for all the encouragement, now it is time to man up and actually do it.
This weekend...
God help me.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Actually, after taking a closer look at the map I ended up selling off my Italian Inf and changing one of my Grenadier's to a Bruckenpioniere, as it looks like I will need that to Cross the Suez.

I am on Day 4 and have been pleased with my efforts thus far.
goose_2

hurly
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by hurly »

goose_2 wrote:Actually, after taking a closer look at the map I ended up selling off my Italian Inf and changing one of my Grenadier's to a Bruckenpioniere, as it looks like I will need that to Cross the Suez.

I am on Day 4 and have been pleased with my efforts thus far.

:lol: Interesting, who would have thought about a Bridgelayer in the midst of the Desert :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Any way just win Baby, while switching your Air tactics to a passive aggressive Stance

Just to encourage your efforts
It is not only possible to reach India with that 3 Fighter (2 of them just Veltros) Setup plus 2 (later 3, but the 3rd is pure luxury) effective AA Guns, but it worked out amazingly well. Even without a Single SE Unit which basically means you will go shorthanded by up to 5 very strong Unit Slots.
I' m really considering to give this different Approach a shot for other Campaigns as well. (Of Course just the AA approach, never again I want to miss out on all SE Stuff again :roll: )
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Ok quick update on where I am at after the weekend.
Well I am trying to keep up with all the stuff being posted about Panzer Corps 2, but to be honest being a little overwhelmed by all the posts. Which is great to see and participate in. So happy to see so much excitement.

I was able to finish Syria, and Amiens on Guderian.
I tried Calais on Manstein but watching the destruction the enemy was able to deal me on Day 8 is having me reload and try again, which stinks because I received +1 Range on 2 of my artillery guns, which is just awesome, but I want to minimize losses, and I really want to get a Decisive Victory as I want to make it to Dunkirk.
This may mean I need to Overstrength my units I am bringing to maximize damage, but it just seems so expensive, but you need to spend to earn in this game, at least at Manstein. :oops:

I am going to try to type up Syria today, and may even get time to type up Guderian because the summarized version of writing up is saving me a ton of time. Yay!

I was able to bust out a bunch of rounds in multiplayer, as I have begun to battle an old friend RAG116 again and I have to say that Dnieper scenario is just the best, so complex yet simple it is a wonderful sandbox.

Loving this great game. ;)
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Just a quick update as I have nothing new to report as of yet.
I was with family this weekend, and will be leaving for a family retreat into this weekend, so unsure what I will be able to accomplish in the game.

I will report this as I must report, I am having difficulty moving past a rough day in Persia. It was the 2nd day and I lost my precious Stormo. :x :x :x :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

So no reloads or redo's I need to move forward, but struggling on what to do next so I am pondering my Day 3. This will be a tough one, that is for sure, so hopefully after some time away and time to ponder and make my assessments as to where I am at now I will proceed forward, but for right now, I am fuming. :evil:

In the meantime I have been playing multiplayer and trying my 2nd time on Reims on Manstein.
1st Time I did not stick to the initial plan and it cost me, so now I am sticking to my original plan.

The plan is to minimally hold and CA in and around Rethel. The enemy will not be able to get past river so going to let him burn himself out by constantly retaking Rethel and letting them take it back only to get decimated by a well placed 88.
In the meantime I will be rushing the flanks on the left and right with the majority of the rest of my forces, to seize the objective that gives us the Char B1 and hopefully all the Primary Objectives for a Decisive Victory.

Manstein is so very difficult.

Blessings on everyone's Easter Season. ;)
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Update:

I ended up being a busy boy this weekend as I ended up getting sick on Sunday so used the excuse...I mean opportunity to bust through some more of my campaign and even play some MP.

So this is what I was able to bust out.
Reims on Manstein (4th time was the charm on this one, do not get cocky or rush forward, stick to the plan of going for the flanks and preparing to repel at Attigny and Rethel choke points.) :oops:
Dijon on Guderian (With rushed approach I suggest bringing a huge Division (4 or 5 units of Fallschimjager to seize Southern cities.) :twisted: Char B awarded
Even finished Persia on Rommel (It was hard for me to move past losing Stormo, but I have thoroughly grieved the loss and have finished the much vaunted scenario) Whatever you do, do not get cocky in the air, I should have held back all planes and let my AA decimate as much as possible before flying in needed air power only to eliminate all potential threats. This is a serious battle, harder than Gazala, at least on a blindthrough.

I hope to type some of the AAR's as I have time at the present, unsure how far I will be able to get today but I will try to type up Guderian first, as it is the easiest.
goose_2

hurly

Post by hurly »

goose_2 wrote:Update:

I ended up being a busy boy this weekend as I ended up getting sick on Sunday so used the excuse...I mean opportunity to bust through some more of my campaign and even play some MP.

So this is what I was able to bust out.
Reims on Manstein (4th time was the charm on this one, do not get cocky or rush forward, stick to the plan of going for the flanks and preparing to repel at Attigny and Rethel choke points.) :oops:
Dijon on Guderian (With rushed approach I suggest bringing a huge Division (4 or 5 units of Fallschimjager to seize Southern cities.) :twisted: Char B awarded
Even finished Persia on Rommel (It was hard for me to move past losing Stormo, but I have thoroughly grieved the loss and have finished the much vaunted scenario) Whatever you do, do not get cocky in the air, I should have held back all planes and let my AA decimate as much as possible before flying in needed air power only to eliminate all potential threats. This is a serious battle, harder than Gazala, at least on a blindthrough.

I hope to type some of the AAR's as I have time at the present, unsure how far I will be able to get today but I will try to type up Guderian first, as it is the easiest.
Rest in Peace Stormo :(

We hardly knew ya

But as long as you were there, you served us well.

Still congrats to the Big White Bird aka goose_2

Yeah you are right Persia can be tough at First Sight on your Troops especially those in the Air.
Maybe there will be a Time when you do this one again and you may be amazed how many options you have in this Battle and how many Things you can do better when there are no surprises.
Actually there are very few Scenarios in the Campaign with so many opportunities to pick up Prestige from Surrenders (You have time to press 2 maybe even 3 Churchills into surrender and the Soviet Sea Landing Operation can be a Harvest for Prestige as well when you just let them abroad into already prepared Places having them Surrounded right away.

Whatever you did it and except for Stormo I hear nothing about heartbreaking losses so this is really really good. You got your first taste of the 3 Star experienced Air Units now and it won't be the last Time you face them. But the Good News is, there won't be another Scenario where you have to Run into the Fire like this one and expose Units to Danger because of some stupid side show like 2 Truck Convoys.

While still challenging the Rest of the way is much more suited for a General used to Fight the Enemy on Manstein Level with a methodical approach.

Now the Path to India is wide open, you don't need a Triumph anymore to get into the Final Battle and now it's just a matter how much quality Units you can bring to the Final assault.

Good News is you won't need better units than you have already, although there will be a few available.
Bad News is you will struggle with Prestige til the End and will have to make a few compromises as your Army will have to grow since there will be a few more available Slots each Scenario from now on.

And just to rub it in. :P

I think you are a very happy General by now cause you have some good and experienced AA guns at hand. They may start slowly but once they earn some Experience and Heroes they become really powerful
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I have been anticipating your response Hurly, and I will send you the replay's probably on Friday, so you can post.

Actually my AA heroes have been sparse in the Afrika Korps playthrough, but outstanding in my Manstein playthrough, with one 88 having +3 Attack, and the other having the coveted +1 Movement.

I hope to get time tomorrow to type up the AAR.
I think you will be pleased with the results, but yes very daunting the first time.
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I busted through the first 2 scenarios of 1941 this weekend on my Guderian and Manstein playthrough's. (It is easier to do that when you are able to do it on the first playthrough.) Belgrade is easy, even on Manstein, but Metaxas Line stepped up quite a bit in difficulty as on Manstein I took some serious damageon some of my units. I could have played it smarter, but I was happy to get a Decisive Victory, so instead just moving forward.

Unfortunately I will not get any time to type up AAR's as will be leaving for Texas for a week to see my Nephew graduate from High school. With that said, I will be away from the game and the forum for quite a while, I am hopeful that in the meantime some of my followers will take a look at my Afrika Korps army with 4 scenario left and give me some advice on my thoughts of what to spend my money on before my next scenario.

I will miss checking this, but some time away is good for all of us.

Blessings and until next time...Stay Lutheran my Friends. ;)
goose_2

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”