Afrika Korps on Rommel Difficulty

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

braccada
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Afrika Korps on Rommel Difficulty

Post by braccada »

Finally it is time for Afrika Korps :o Naturally this will be done on Rommel difficulty and as a blind Let's Play. Moreover I plan to incorporate lots of Italians in my core, so this should be quite a challange.

As always feedback and comments are welcome!
  • Reconnaissance in Force: I got my new orders and was appointed to command of the newly formed Deutsches Afrikakorps.
  • Ras el Mdauuar: I have permission to attack and seize the heights of Ras el Mdauuar. If we succeed here we are in an excellent position to break the defences of Tobruk. Without Tobruk a further advance into Egypt is sure to fail.
  • Brevity: The English are counterattacking in force near the Border of Egypt in the Region of Sollum and the Halfaya Pass. As most of our units are tied down in the siege of Tobruk, only thin forces are present to contest their advance and I have to rush to their defense.
  • Battle Axe: Sollum and the Halfaya Pass are under attack again. The British have fielded massive reinforcement, but this time we are prepared.
  • Dash to the Wire: The British are striking at Sidi Rezegh and surrounded our border defenses at Sollum. My forces will have to rush to the defense and at the same time prevent the Tobruk garrison from braking out and linking with the relief force.
  • Second Offensive: Because of our desperate supply situation I was forced to order a full retreat towards El Agheila. The English are on our heels and they will try to outflank and encircle us before we get there. I hope we can use the raging sandstorm to our advantage.
  • Gazala Line: We are finally ready to strike at Tobruk again. The British have neglected the defenses of Tobruk and instead chose to massively fortify the Gazala Line. So my plan is to swing around the defenses at Bir Hacheim and go for Tobruk directly.
  • Malta: With the fall of Tobruk Operation Herkules finally has been authorised. We are to seize Malta and thereby take away another important British base of operations in the Mediterranean. With Malta in German hands supplies to Africa will be secure and we can support a further advance into Egypt.
  • Alam Halfa: We cannot stop now! We must reach the coast line and the British rear and complete their envelopment. Our best chance will an onslaught from the south along the Alam Halfa Ridge. At the same time our Italian allies will attack in the north and keep the forces there pinned.
  • Suez Canal: The pyramids are in sight! We are about to launch our attack on Alexandria, Cairo and most importantly the Suez Canal. The British defenses supported by the river nile and the delta will be formidable.
  • Palestine: Our new key objective is to secure the oil pipeline between Kirkuk in Iraq and Haifa in Palestine. Several key pumping stations have been taken by Arab volunteers and we must move quickly to releave them from British attacks.
  • Syria: It seems our friends in the Abwehr have gotten into a bit of trouble and need our help. One of our planes went down near Aleppo in Syria. On board was a senior Abwehr agent running a delicate operation in Turkey. Abwehr wants their agent back before he can be interrogated and reveal what he knows. We will send in a special unit paratroopers to capture the airfield near Aleppo, release the agent and bring him by air to Haifa.
  • Iraq: The invasion of Iraq is our next great task. Apparently the British plan a large reinforcement of their air presence. The key to its success is the airfield at Baghdad. An advanced communications center is being built there that will coordinate these larger air forces as well as an array of air-defense radars. We will have to destroy this center promtly to hamper the British efforts.
  • Basra: The Allies have retained a foothold in Iraq by controlling the port of Basra on the Persian Golf. This foothold must be removed if we are to clear the way for our attack into Persia and make our Iraqi friends secure in establishing a new anti-British government in Baghdad. My objectives are to take several targets in the city itself and the Shaiba airfield. Since the British have turned the city into a fortress that will be far from easy.
  • Persia: The time has come to end the Anglo-Soviet occupation of Iran. The Persian corridor has proved a key route for sending Lend Lease supplies to the Soviet Union. The quantities of supplies that have been delivered are vast and have been an enormous asset to the Russians.
  • Caucasus: At last we have the opportunity to assist our forces in Russia and unify our strategic purposes. The conquest of Persia has opened a gateway to Russia through the Caucasus Mountains. Russia's southern flank is now vulverable and her great oil fields are open to attack.
  • Arabia: Intelligence informs us that the English managed to build up a considerable force in their East African dominions and intend to retake the Suez Canal.
  • East Africa: With Arabia secure in our back, the task now is to defeat the second prong of England's attempt to recapture the Suez Canal.
  • On the Road to India: India beckons! The final great jewel in the British Crown is nearly ripe for the taking! However, before India can be gained the approaches must be won.
  • British India: It is a historic moment. We are about to invade India and by this dismantle the British Empire.
Last edited by braccada on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Follow my Grand Let's Play series: Rommel, Manstein and Guderian
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=53035
braccada

Reconnaissance in Force

Post by braccada »

6 February 1941
I got my new orders and was appointed to command of the newly formed Deutsches Afrikakorps.

14 February 1941
Today I arrived in Libya and got a first look at my troops. The equipment might be somewhat lacking and especially the Italian tanks seem of dubious quality, but the men are motivated and ready to show the English that now they are up against a real enemy.

31 March 1941 (Watch Part 1)
The Allied forces at El Agheila are defeated. I am ordered to maintain a defensive posture, but I assume we can get away with a limited attack against Benghazi. So let's start a little reconnaissance operation!

4 April 1941 (Watch Part 2)
Despite all the problems we are making good progress towards Benghazi and Tobruk, but our orders have changed yet again. We are not to attack Tobruk, but merley surround it. A wise decision in my option.

5 April 1941
Air supperiority is secured and I am concentrating my forces on the heavily defended city of Mechili. It would be a major threat in our flank. Benghazi on the other hand is wide open and I sent a small Italien contigent to secure the city and push forward along the coast. That should boost their moral!

6 April 1941
Benghazi has fallen.

10 April 1941
Cought the British with their pants down. While we kept them busy aroung Mechili quick forces pushed ahead through the desert. Tobruk is cut off from supply now, I don't think they will hold out for long.
Vorskl
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Afrika Korps on Rommel Difficulty

Post by Vorskl »

I watched your videos. Actually, it looks like you play in Montgomery's style - cautions limited-scale operations :) I like how you carefully position your troops and advance with almost no losses.

My only concern/question is what will happen in time-pressed and large scenarios, such as Dash to the Wire? It's pity you did not play DLC - I'd like to watch your videos of doing with such time-pressed scenarios such as Streets of Moscow or Stalingrad.

Anyhow, please keep posting your AF videos - the most challenging scenarios are still ahead :)
braccada

Post by braccada »

You are a great observer! :) I have to admit I know nothing about Montgomery's style, but it sounds like it. I value control and limited commitment and the game seldom forces any risks on me. If you have not already done so, look at the Guderian and Manstein videos. There I am forced to leave the save zone sometimes. If I hade to analyse my style I would say the underlying prinziples are
  • Control: Scouting, vision and attack priorities are the main tools to dictate the pace and the actions of the enemy.
  • Overkill scenarios: I create focal points to overwhelm positions or even single units. In order to do so I need control and flexible battle groups. Moreover I concentrate on limited focal points. Minor encounters are done by the bare minimum of forces.
  • Balance of risk and speed: There always is reserve in terms of units and time. I try to balance everything to use the maximum number of turns. Usually I consider attacks with a loss prediction of 1 already as risky and I seldom leave the controlled zones. However you can always sacrifice safety for more speed. That way I usually manage to time the campaigns pretty exactly. If I am forced to leave the acceptable range of risk/speed I tend to implement commando operations to take pressure of the rest of the troops. There are some good examples in the Guderian videos.
Well, and if all that fails sometimes the only option is to accept the losses and simply go in. Best example I have to offer may be USA West Coast on Manstein. I do not know if there are bigger and more time pressed scenarios in the DLCs, because I have not played or watched any videos on those. But I plan to do a playtrough for them eventually.
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

Hi Braccada,
The link marked Reconnaissance in Force actually leads to Operation Sealion.

The "Watch Part 1" link worked fine so this wasn't a problem.
braccada

Post by braccada »

Thanks! Too much copy paste action :)
Vorskl

Post by Vorskl »

Hi Braccada,
I've watched your Moscow on Rommel video and I like it - that's my style :) If you're Montgomery, I am Zhukov then - too fast too bloody (:
I like that in your Rommel you use Falk... to capture bridges - that's the real historical use of them.
Gonna watch your Moscow on Mannstein to observe these crazy 15+ hordes.
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Vorskl wrote: If you're Montgomery, I am Zhukov then - too fast too bloody (:
I'm probably Patton in that case!

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
Vorskl

Post by Vorskl »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:

- BNC
???? Disregarding mission's objectives and pursuing your own (just like he did during Husky operation?) :)
BiteNibbleChomp

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Vorskl wrote:
BiteNibbleChomp wrote:

- BNC
???? Disregarding mission's objectives and pursuing your own (just like he did during Husky operation?) :)
Occasionally. The first time I played Afrika korps I attacked Tobruk even though the message said not to. That didn't end very well :lol: .

I was more relating to the fact that Patton just gets a HUGE amount of tanks and ignores anything too hard to fight.

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
braccada

Ras el Mdauuar

Post by braccada »

30 April 1941
I have permission to attack and seize the heights of Ras el Mdauuar. If we succeed here we are in an excellent position to break the defences of Tobruk. Without Tobruk a further advance into Egypt is sure to fail.

I decided to concentrate the attack on the northern part of the perimeter and our engineers smashed through the fortifications in the morning. Strong armored elements move forward to protect against possible counter attacks. (Watch Part 1)

It is now 12 o'clock and we managed to widen the gap. Moreover forward elements have already reached Ras el Mdauuar that is held by the 9th and the 12th Australien infantry battalion. Artillery is in position and I hope we have seized our objectives before nightfall. The British clearly did not expect a determinded attack and offer only little resistance!

Ras el Mdauuar is cleared of defenders. All is left is to secure the area. (Watch Part 2)

1 Mai 1941
Spreading out to catch stray British troops. There are still some Mathildas and AT guns in the area. However our attack positions towards Tobruk are secure. That's what matters!
Vorskl

Post by Vorskl »

do you plan to continue the serie?
braccada

Post by braccada »

Sure. It just takes some time. With post production and uploading a video takes about two hours so I am not able to produce them at a higher rate. If I can keep the schedule, the series will continue in three days :)
verstaubtgesicht
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by verstaubtgesicht »

I have noticed in your video that you thought bersaglieri have a movement of 2, and therefore decided to go with alpini, just to be surprised that alpini move by 2 only, as well. The point is that infantry movement in the desert terrain is reduced, hence all 3 move units move by 2. Quite annoying, I must say, but it kind of makes sense (hard to do a forced march in the desert, I guess)...

Otherwise, I must admit that I enjoy your videos so much, that with limited time I sometimes decide to watch one instead of playing an actual game.
braccada

Post by braccada »

Yeah we had a discussion in the comments about that. Seems some terrain types like dessert soak up a proportion of your movement points and others take a fixed amount. So in dessert infantry loses 50% of movement points per tile and even a movement hero does not help (4 movement still results in effective range of two).

And glad you like the videos!
braccada

Brevity

Post by braccada »

15 May 1941 (Watch Part 1)
The English are counterattacking in force near the Border of Egypt in the Region of Sollum and the Halfaya Pass. As most of our units are tied down in the siege of Tobruk, only thin forces are present to contest their advance and I have to rush to their defense.

Luckily I arrived just in time to meet the advancing British forces head on. They clearly did not expect my presence here and we caught them completely unprepared at Sidi Azeiz. They did not even have time to deploy their equipment and most got killed still on board their trucks. By Midday we had the situation turned around. We have retaken most of the position and now the British are on the run.

16 May 1941 (Watch Part 2)
Sollum and the Halfaya Pass are in German hands again and I ordered my troops to press on in order to exploit the disorder caused by the British desaster. I wonder whether HQ or logistics is the first to force a halt...
braccada

Battle Axe

Post by braccada »

15 June 1941 (Watch Part 1)
Sollum and the Halfaya Pass are under attack again. The British have fielded massive reinforcement, but this time we are prepared.

By Midday I had to give up the Halfaya Pass, but by keeping the bulk of my forces back we forced the British to attack into our set defenses and waiting 88mm flak guns. Dozens of Mathilda and Cruiser tanks are left burning in the desert. Moreover a small Italian battle group outflanked the attackers near Sidi Omar and cought several truck columns of guard.

In the evening I recieved reports of strong British elements moving to outflank us trough the desert. Seems they try to use my strategies against me. Well they can certainly try...

16 June 1941 (Watch Part 2)
Sidi Azeiz is hit by a large armored battle group and I have sent in all our fighter squadrons to destroy as many tanks as possible before they reach the city. Thanks to the warning by intelligence we are fairly well prepared and I am confident we can repell that attack as well.

In the south we regained the offensive and are moving towards the Halfaya Pass only to meet another large British group of unknown composition.

17 June 1941
After heavy fighting throughout the night control is regained. The diversionary attack on Sidi Azeiz ended with the destruction of all enemy forces and in the south the enemy collapsed as well. Sidi Suleman and some Egyptian airfields are in German hands again.
verstaubtgesicht

Post by verstaubtgesicht »

Currently on a trip to China - censors block youtube, damn!
USERNAMEROMMEL
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

In Reconnaissance in Force: I took Tobruck!

Post by USERNAMEROMMEL »

In Reconnaissance in Force, you are warned that Tobruk can not be taken. Well I took Tobruk in 20 moves!

Rommel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do birds of a feather flock together :?:
Yes :!:
Anti-diversity :!:
Birds are a part of nature.
Nature was created by God.
Therefore, God supports anti-diversity.

God
anti-diversity
vs.
leftists(communists, socialists, criminals, etc.)
diversity

The leftists oppose God :!:
Last edited by USERNAMEROMMEL on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
braccada

Post by braccada »

Never tried that :) Kind of a bad start for the British ;)

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”