Battlefield Europe - Barbarossa (Level General)

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

JimmyC
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: Battlefield Europe - Barbarossa (Level General)

Post by JimmyC »

I'm not sure its necessary to reduce the cost of Panthers. I still think they are great as they are, especially as Panzer III can upgrade from them. I also dont think its necessary to reduce the defence of Tigers, as IMO they aren't worth the cost as it is. I guess it is just that people come into this mod with the mentality that Tiger = best (based on the standard game) and they dont compare the stats and costs. But if its historically accurate to decrease the defence, then sure, go for it.

Re. BNC's suggestion on putting Pacific War updates, i would only suggest doing it if you can somehow relate it to the struggle in Europe. For example, "Japan lost heavily at midway, so the US is now able to devote more fighters/bombers to the European front" or something like that. Otherwise its too abstract and has no impact on whats going on in the game.

Finally, kudos to GeneralWerner for writing such an interesting AAR. Putting in characters and a storyline makes it a lot more interesting.
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

JimmyC wrote: Re. BNC's suggestion on putting Pacific War updates, i would only suggest doing it if you can somehow relate it to the struggle in Europe. For example, "Japan lost heavily at midway, so the US is now able to devote more fighters/bombers to the European front" or something like that. Otherwise its too abstract and has no impact on whats going on in the game.
I was thinking more like in Strategic command, where a message comes up saying that the Japs have landed at Guadalcanal, even though it has no influence on the campaign. Just for flavour. (Saves the extra effort in coding more bombers) :D

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
GeneralWerner
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by GeneralWerner »

Really the most important experience for me was that the main game is working very different to this mod.

In the main game if you have a lot of Tigers covered by artillery and a lot of 8,8ers for air defense you are a happy man and you can stop everything. Here other tanks and anti-tank units are more important and the AA is not so effective, so fighters are important.

In the main game using the railroad is sometimes possible but normally not necessary. Here it is mandatory and partisans blocking a railroad can kill the best planning.

In the main game bypassing a city or fortress is often not useful. Here on this huge map it can save a lot of time and make attacks easier trying to get in the back or side of the enemy defense first.

In the main game you can do a lot with four Fallschirmjäger units jumping down in the back of the enemy artillery. Here the Axis parachute troops are limited in number (2) and should be used very carefully.

In this historical correct mod I was astonished how long the Wehrmacht had to fight without the Panthers. They came January 43 and that means that the Wehrmacht had 1.5 long years to resist the T34 with Panzers III and IV only.

The mod rated my performance as a "loss" (similar to my own rating). I will check later what German victory hex was lost (maybe Vienna).
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

Yes, there were some scattered Anglo-American troops around the Alpes and in the last round an American infantry kicked out the Volkssturm in Vienna and captured the city. That made the difference to a (technical) draw.
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

GeneralWerner wrote:In this historical correct mod I was astonished how long the Wehrmacht had to fight without the Panthers. They came January 43 and that means that the Wehrmacht had 1.5 long years to resist the T34 with Panzers III and IV only.
Yes, this gap is tough to fill with tanks. But you dont have to look any further than the stug. Its great for plugging that gap until Panthers come out. Also the Luftwaffe, but that goes without saying.
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Mistaken post :oops:
Last edited by JimmyC on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
BiteNibbleChomp

Looks like you have a pretty good chance at a Total Victory!

Hopefully you will be able to do the same in WWI, possibly going to America!

- BNC
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Except that i posted it in the wrong thread! Haha!

Have removed it now.
BiteNibbleChomp

JimmyC wrote:Except that i posted it in the wrong thread! Haha!

Have removed it now.
Woops. Must be confusing having 2 threads doing similar things at the same time though!

- BNC
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:
JimmyC wrote:Except that i posted it in the wrong thread! Haha!

Have removed it now.
Woops. Must be confusing having 2 threads doing similar things at the same time though!

- BNC
I blame General Werner for choosing almost exactly the same thread title as mine! Haha. And now he’s created another one for his next playthrough – so we have 3 similarly titled threads.

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”