Battlefield Europe mod - Barbarossa

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Battlefield Europe mod - Barbarossa

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

GeneralWerner wrote: If you want we could do a similar action with your mod. JimmyC and me playing it in parallel, everybody following it's own strategy? It is a WW1 mod? So no Blitzkrieg but Sitzkrieg?
It is WWI but things don't just sit down while the guns fire for 4 years. I only included 7 or 8 trench-based scenarios (out of 30+), so there is a great cance you'll spend most of the war driving around in trucks while the Russian Revolution is going on :wink:

But yes, I would be interested in what you two come up with!

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
JimmyC
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by JimmyC »

GeneralWerner wrote:Sounds very good. Congratulations.

Let's see whether the Russian bear is realy already exhausted.

WIth my Redux play I am in round 11 now. Guess I will send my first war report in the next days.
Yes, i was surprised when i crossed the Don river and there were very few enemy units. Maybe they are all hiding behind the Volga?

For your new playthrough, you are doing the lead-up scenarios too, right? I highly recommend to do that as it gives you more prestige and experienced units.
GeneralWerner wrote: If you want we could do a similar action with your mod. JimmyC and me playing it in parallel, everybody following it's own strategy? It is a WW1 mod? So no Blitzkrieg but Sitzkrieg?
LOL. I think BNC tried to include mostly non-trench warfare scenarios, such as in Russia and other battles of maneuver, so as to keep it interesting.

BNC's mod is much longer than McGuba's, as it is structured similar to the standard PzC, with many different scenarios. So when i get round to playing it, i cant see myself writing up a battle report for each scenario. Maybe just for some of the bigger or more exciting ones...?

First i want to play through Battlefield Europe one more time though, once McGuba releases the new patch for it. Probably on Field Marshall this time and trying tactics similar to yours (focus on army group South).
BiteNibbleChomp

JimmyC wrote:
LOL. I think BNC tried to include mostly non-trench warfare scenarios, such as in Russia and other battles of maneuver, so as to keep it interesting.

BNC's mod is much longer than McGuba's, as it is structured similar to the standard PzC, with many different scenarios. So when i get round to playing it, i cant see myself writing up a battle report for each scenario. Maybe just for some of the bigger or more exciting ones...?

First i want to play through Battlefield Europe one more time though, once McGuba releases the new patch for it. Probably on Field Marshall this time and trying tactics similar to yours (focus on army group South).
The longest path I have so far traced for v3.0 is 17 scenarios, which is slightly longer than PzC's 14 or 15. Also, I haven't so much tried to ignore trench battles as I have tried to cover every major batytle in the war (and a few smaller ones). The truth is that the Western Front (by far the most famous) was only a small part of the bigger picture, although the most important. There was also actions in the Middle East, Russia, Italy, Balkans and a few naval engagements. If you like trench warfare, most likely you will choose all the Western scenarios (Verdun, Somme, Arras, Ypres and Cambrai), and will spend much of your time breaking endless trench lines. But for variation, I allow many other choices and if you do well on a front, you get a bonus mission there (Ostaufmarsch, Egypt and Fall Offensive, plus Uk18 and America).

Though with the revised campaign in 3.0, you will often find yourself skipping many of the scenarios that were chokepoints in the campaign structure of old (skip Serbia and Verdun if you go to Ostaufmarsch, or have a very short war if you go to the Middle East).

But I would not say it is a longer mod. McGuba's large scenario has 200+ units and 100 turns. Each of my scenarios has less than 40 units to deal with, and are much smaller in scope. I can usually complete a mission in 90 minutes or less, whereas McGuba says it takes him 30 min to complete a single turn.
So 1 battle report per scenario would probably be about the right amount IMO.

And with the branching campaign structure, it will be very interesting if you both take separate paths. It is less interesting to read about two guys both playing the Somme, then Romanai, Arras, Estonia and the Spring Offensive. Different tactics work on different maps, so choose carefully! Most branches happen in the 1915-16 period, so if you take Paris in 1914 you don't get as fun a campaign. But I leave the option there.

v3.0 is expected on Sunday, but I cannot be sure.

- BNC
BiteNibbleChomp

Ok, 3.0 is out, so start AARing whenever you guys are ready! :D

- BNC
GeneralWerner
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by GeneralWerner »

I will have a look soon.
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:Ok, 3.0 is out, so start AARing whenever you guys are ready! :D

- BNC
It might be good to give your one a go rather than playing Battlefield Europe again back-to-back.

Just wondering though - is there any guide or overview for the new units? For example a summary of the main unit types and what’s good vs what. As its WW1, I suspect that there is a LOT of learning to do.

For Battlefield Europe i downloaded all units to excel and spent a lot of time learning the new stats and upgrade paths. But it was time consuming and i probably wouldn't do it again for other mods. There was also a great “how to play Battlefield Europe” thread by Uhu, which helped a lot with the basics of the game and what to do. Is there anything like that for your mod?

Its really hard to learn a lot of the units from scratch, especially if there are a lot of available units, so if you could give us some tips, it would be greatly appreciated. Even just an overview of how the game plays out would help (considering the different setting i imagine the dynamics are quite a bit different from WW2). Or can you still get by with armour in clear terrain, infantry in rough terrain and everything supported by artillery where possible?
BiteNibbleChomp

JimmyC wrote:
BiteNibbleChomp wrote:Ok, 3.0 is out, so start AARing whenever you guys are ready! :D

- BNC
It might be good to give your one a go rather than playing Battlefield Europe again back-to-back.

Just wondering though - is there any guide or overview for the new units? For example a summary of the main unit types and what’s good vs what. As its WW1, I suspect that there is a LOT of learning to do.

For Battlefield Europe i downloaded all units to excel and spent a lot of time learning the new stats and upgrade paths. But it was time consuming and i probably wouldn't do it again for other mods. There was also a great “how to play Battlefield Europe” thread by Uhu, which helped a lot with the basics of the game and what to do. Is there anything like that for your mod?

Its really hard to learn a lot of the units from scratch, especially if there are a lot of available units, so if you could give us some tips, it would be greatly appreciated. Even just an overview of how the game plays out would help (considering the different setting i imagine the dynamics are quite a bit different from WW2). Or can you still get by with armour in clear terrain, infantry in rough terrain and everything supported by artillery where possible?
I'll post something up on the WWI thread later today - I don't really want to fill this one up anymore.

Overall though, most of the units aren't specifically '75mm Cannon Model 1898' or 'Tank Mk I 1916 production' type common of the ww2 game (and nearly everyone's mods for it) - I decided that each unit in WW1 was a division and made them mostly generic (Infantry '14 for example), with a small boost to one aspect (MG is better at defense). Upgrade paths etc. are less of a worry because there are usually 2 or 3 updates to each unit 'class', usually at 2-year intervals. So '14 model stuff will go to '16 and then '18. The planes are slightly more complicated, but I tried to keep companies together in this instance (Albatros D 2 goes to 5). But nothing is extremely important in that regard and the differences are usually minor.

And anyway, you have the deployment phase at the start of each mission that allows for experimentation, so there is no real chance of finding out you have to waste 1000pp to upgrade a unit - losing up to 5 turns worth of unit combat. Any mid-scenario upgrades can usually wait until the next battle.

- BNC
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Was trying to finish this one quickly as i have a business trip coming up soon, which will preclude me from playing for a while. Unfortunately the pesky Russians have disregarded my real life commitments though - spamming me with a surprisingly large airforce, combined with some of the latest tanks and SpATs, which are holding me up at the final push.

Will post an update with screenshots sometime tomorrow.
BiteNibbleChomp

JimmyC wrote:Unfortunately the pesky Russians have disregarded my real life commitments though - spamming me with a surprisingly large airforce, combined with some of the latest tanks and SpATs, which are holding me up at the final push.

Will post an update with screenshots sometime tomorrow.
I'm sure the Western Allies are also going to show equal disregard for real life. You better win the war quickly!

- BNC
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

BiteNibbleChomp wrote: I'm sure the Western Allies are also going to show equal disregard for real life. You better win the war quickly!
- BNC
Actually, i've just broken through at El Alamein, so i expect to shortly take Alexandria and Cairo. After that it should just be a matter of time before i drive on the oil fields of the Middle East. I expect the biggest hindrance will be lack of fuel and having to resupply in the desert, rather than any concerted Allied counterattacks.

Will try and give it a go tonight to see if i can't wrap it up before heading o/seas.
JimmyC

Late April '44

Post by JimmyC »

Mediterranean/African Theatre
Kriegsmarine
The entirety of the Kriegsmarine have reached North Africa and are currently battling the British fleet based around Gibraltar. Even with their significantly smaller forces, the British are managing to effectively block a breakthrough between the narrow straights. However it is costing them dearly and it will only be a matter of time before we defeat the remaining forces and enter the Mediterranean. Taking advantage of our strong fleet presence, we have transported troops from England and landed them on the North West tip of Africa, only to find it abandoned by the Americans. Apparently after committing the majority of their forces in the drive to Tunis only to see them finally destroyed, the remaining American commanders have seen the futility of this endeavor and have re-embarked back to America.

Africa Corps
To the West, the forces under Rommel have beaten the final American drive on Tunis and destroyed all the opposing forces. The majority of our troops are relocating to the Egypt front, whilst the remainder are capturing the former Vichy French cities that have now been abandoned by the Americans.

To the East, our Paratroopers, combined with 2 infantry units which flanked around to the South, have surprised the Allied artillery defending El Alamein. This allowed our main forces to attack the heavily entrenched Commonwealth troops directly. Whilst we suffered significant losses, we were able to finally break and destroy the defenders. Our troops are now pouring through and will target Alexandria and Cairo, before crossing the Suez Canal and making the final drive on the oil fields of the Middle East. This should provide the knockout blow to finally take the Western Allies out of the war.

Surprising the artillery from behind we were able to destroy it, allowing our main forces to attack the El Alamein defenders head on. Although heavily entrenched, the defenders were unable to resist for long without artillery support.

European Theatre
Army Group North
Taking advantage of the frozen rivers, our forces are advancing on Novgorod and will soon capture it. We will then pivot South and advance down the Eastern side of the Volga to envelop and destroy the major cities currently under attack from army group centre.

Army Group Center
We have successfully crushed all Russian resistance up to the Volga. However with winter ending, there was a significant renewal of Russian air activity which has hindered our ground forces. It seems that the Russians used the bad weather to mass produce advanced fighters and bombers in their factories further East. Whilst the Luftwaffe is sufficient to deal with this threat, it has pushed back our timetable by around 2 months and led to numerous casualties. The Russians also seem to have stepped up production of various armoured units, which have massed to the East of the Volga. As Spring has now come and the rivers have thawed, these units have no means to engage us. However once we break through the cities lying on the Volga, they will have to be dealt with. As in prior years, it is expected that the Luftwaffe will be the main force to deal with these heavily armoured units.

The Russians have amassed a strong armoured reserve to the East of the Volga. However with no way to cross, they are not an immediate threat as long as we continue to engage the cities lying on the river. As we have won the air war, the Luftwaffe are able to target these armoured units with little fear of retaliation.

Army Group South
Our attack on Stalingrad continues. Our troops have entered the city, however the battle is fierce and the capture of each house and street comes at a heavy cost. With air supremacy achieved, we expect that the added weight of the Luftwaffe’s heavy bombers should tip the balance in our favor and lead to the fall of the city shortly.

Further south, our forces have reached the ??? river and are concentrating around the 2 main crossing points. Once we have received sufficient reserves we will make a push across the river in the direction of the Russian oil fields.

Synopsis
Our forces are progressing well and the war will be won before the year is out. The only major discernible threat is the strong Russian armour that is massing on the East banks of the Volga. However with no way for them to cross, we should be able to take all cities on the Volga before having to deal with this threat. And whilst the Russian airforce was very strong in early Spring, it has mostly been destroyed by our superior air forces (although at a heavy cost to our own forces). Therefore the Luftwaffe should be able to cause considerable damage to the Russian armour before we engage it with ground forces.
The blue line shows the river Volga. We are attacking many of the Russian cities lying on the river. Whilst strong Russian armour lies beyond it, they have no way to cross without exposing themselves and are therefore not an immediate threat. The green arrows show the major routes of attack. Note in the South-West the Kriegsmarine are massed around the strait of Gibraltar, which is being defended by British capital ships, destroyers, submarines and a small air contingent.
BiteNibbleChomp

Looks like your victory is imminent. :D

- BNC
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

I like this sentence: "...the remaining American commanders have seen the futility of this endeavor and have re-embarked back to America.

You had no problems with Russian paratroopers?
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Russian paratroopers never appeared. Or rather, i did fight against paratroopers, but the AI just used them like normal ground troops interspersed among its other units.

I managed to play last night and thought i might be able to finish it. But the British had other ideas. Will update soon.
GeneralWerner

Post by GeneralWerner »

I do not know whether they really dropped from the sky or sneaked in per ship or per car but I had suddenly paratroopers and mortar troops in Sevastopol and Leningrad far behind my front line (in my first play through). Especially the loss of Leningrad for some rounds had strongly disturbed my railroads and my plans at least to try to attack Moscow from the north west.

That is really special with this mod. There are no gifts. It is always a tough fight and you have to stay concentrated in your game play. In many Panzer Corps maps you come to a critical point and if you solve it you have solved the whole map and the rest is routine work. Not with this mod. I like it :)

So I expect that the British still have some surprise for you in the Near East. I am not so far as you. Egypt is the next challenge. But the first thing to do after Egypt is captured is to block this Suez Channel. England may be lost but the main parts of the "Empire" are not even shown on this map (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, ... India, allied USA).

I look forward to read your update.
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

I always kept some troops in Moscow, Leningrad, Arkhangelsk and Sevastopol. The first 2 cities because i know that they are so important (i read in the thread that if the Russians recapture them at any point, it increases the Russian forces). For the latter 2 i felt they were exposed to counterattack, hence i reinforced them. As Arkhangelsk is so remote i actually left 2 infantry and an artillery there, which turned out to be a wasted as it was never counterattacked.

Perhaps because i had troops positioned in those cities it removed the trigger that results in the paratrooper invasion. Or perhaps i had just advanced too far to trigger the invasion. Not sure?

I have played further and taken screenshots, but have had no time to update my progress on this thread. Actually, i played it almost to finish, but have got stuck/held-up at Suez. I didnt plan the crossing correctly and it cost me a lot of time and destroyed units!
BiteNibbleChomp

JimmyC wrote: I have played further and taken screenshots, but have had no time to update my progress on this thread. Actually, i played it almost to finish, but have got stuck/held-up at Suez. I didnt plan the crossing correctly and it cost me a lot of time and destroyed units!
War doesn't wait for time to arrive. It carries on regardless. But we want pictures! 8)

Any chance you'll be crossing the Caucasus and heading to Baghdad from the north?

- BNC
jinxed75
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by jinxed75 »

Oh come on Jimmy, we expect nothing less than a flawless DV from you :mrgreen:
JimmyC

Post by JimmyC »

Yeah, sorry about that. I was away for a week on a business trip and am currently recovering from horrible jetlag.

I will find some time to update my progress in the next day or two.
BiteNibbleChomp

JimmyC wrote:Yeah, sorry about that. I was away for a week on a business trip and am currently recovering from horrible jetlag.

I will find some time to update my progress in the next day or two.
I'm afraid that won't convince the Russians to stop their offensive :(

- BNC

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”