DLC West Campaign Report

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

DLC West Campaign Report

Post by endur »

March, 28, 1942, Outside of St. Nazaire,
IC: After being transferred to France to rest and recuperate from spending the previous year in Russia, my panzer division was hastily called back to duty to face a force of British commandos that were attacking St. Nazaire and its dry dock.

A small detachment of infantry with supporting artillery and armor were stationed in the town itself, and had to defend against a force of commandos attacking from the northwest. Meanwhile British Naval forces had been spotted bombarding the docks. The remainder of the armored forces as well as air support and auxiliary motorcycle troops were located in the countryside east of St. Nazaire, and had to rush to the town and to the Drydock to reinforce the troops in the town as well as protect against possible subsequent attacks.

The infantry forces northwest of St. Nazaire were no match for PzIVs. Once the initial wave of infantry was driven out of the town, the panzers pursued and crushed the commandos in the open countryside. Meanwhile the remaining German infantry and artillery in the town rushed to the Normandie dry dock in response to reports of paratroops having landed.

Bf110's destroyed HMS Campbellton, preventing it from detonating and destroying the Normandie dry dock.

The German infantry finished off the paratroops near the docks, and the vital docks were saved from destruction.

OOC: Decisive victory, no units lost during the battle.
Difficulty setting: custom (colonel, with ai 2 and reform units)
Imported force:
2 Inf: 1 Pioniere with halftrack, 1 Gebirasjager with halftrack
6 tanks: 2 PzIVs, 4 SE PzIVs
1 artillery: Wurfrahmen 40
2 fighters: 2 Bf 109F
2 tactical bombers: 2 Bf 110F
11 with 3 stars, 2 with two stars, everything over-strength (did suffer from prestige tax, so won't be replacing over-strength when losses are taken)

2 inf, 2 tanks, and 1 art setup in town, rest to the east.
2 motorcycles auxiliaries and 1 tank head to Normandie dry dock, rest of forces reinforce the town. Bf 110s strafe the enemy navy as necessary, and fighters attack enemy bombers.
losses: one PzIV str point of damage
final prestige 1442
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: DLC West Campaign Report

Post by endur »

April 5, 1942, North of Bayonne

IC: British commandos are attacking a train load of tungsten ore from Spanish mines. Their combat engineers are attempting to render the load of ore unusable. Our forces rush to the rescue.

HQ has sent me additional forces to assist in preventing this train robbery. Two captured T-34/41s and two units of conscripts with trucks. My division has also acquired another battalion of Gebirgsjager (albeit on foot) and a company of StuG IIIB assault guns.

My infantry, artillery, and a small force of tanks advance along the coast, clearing the beach side towns, while a larger force of tanks surges across the open countryside inland.

British Paratroops make heavy use of the Bocage to prevent my tanks from quickly reaching the train. Once my infantry and artillery catch up to the front lines, the paratroops are driven out of the Bocage and forced to surrender.

The trains survive and the war effort is unimpeded.

OOC:
5 Inf: 1 Pioniere with halftrack, 1 Gebirasjager with halftrack, 1 Gebirasjager on foot, 2 conscripts with trucks
8 tanks: 2 PzIVs, 4 SE PzIVs, 2 T-34/41s
2 artillery: Wurfrahmen 40, StuG IIIB
2 tactical bombers: 2 Bf 110F
11 with 3 stars, 2 with two stars, everything over-strength (suffer from prestige tax, so won't be replacing over-strength when losses are taken)

losses: three PzIV str point of damage, 2 T-34/41 str points, 2 Pioniere str points, 11 conscript str points, 1 StuG IIIB str point
T-34/41s and conscripts are disbanded for prestige after this scenario
final prestige: 2147
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

April 21, 1942, area around Hardelot

IC: Commandos are raiding several areas near Hardelot. My panzer division is detailed to defend vital Hangar, Supply Depot, and Radar installations in the region. HQ has assigned my division several recon units to help find the enemy. We have also acquired a unit of Sturmpanzer Assault Guns.

The initial raiding forces are centered around Hardelot, but we are almost surprised by a large enemy force near Beussent.

The initial battles are followed by a subsequent naval invasion near Merlimont and then a raid north of Colembert.

Once my forces are on alert, the attacks on Merlimont and Colembert had little chance of success. The most dangerous situation was the enemy force near Beussent.

OOC:
4 Inf: 1 Pioniere with halftrack, 1 Gebirasjager with halftrack, 1 Gebirasjager on foot, 1 Kradschutzen
6 tanks: 2 PzIVs, 4 SE PzIVs
3 recon: PzIIF, Panhard, BA-64
2 artillery: Wurfrahmen 40, StuG IIIB, Sturmpanzer I
2 tactical bombers: 2 Bf 110F (4 stars)
everything over-strength (suffer from prestige tax, so won't be replacing over-strength when losses are taken)

losses: one PzIV str point of damage, 1 Gebir str points, 5 PzIIF str points, 1 Sturmpanzer str point, 1 Bf110F str point
Panhard and BA-64 are disbanded for prestige after this scenario
final prestige: 1634 (after purchases in next scenario
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

August 19, 1942, Dieppe is under attack by a large invasion force.

HQ has allocated a large number of additional units to support my forces, including 2 squadrons of Fw190A fighters (better than my own squadrons of Bf109F fighters), two companies of KV1B tanks, 2 7.5cm anti-tanks guns, and

The battle to the west of the city is won relatively quickly. The fighting to the east of the city is the next to be resolved. The fighting on the east side of the city takes the longest to resolve.

In the initial stages of the fight, I keep the tanks out of the city while using infantry and artillery in street fighting. As the battle continues and there are no more forces outside the city for my panzers to face, I start moving companies of panzers into the city to control the city parks and other wide streets.

The allied forces eventually surrender.

OOC: Decisive victory, 1 green Gebirsjager battalion lost during the battle.
5 Inf: 1 Pioniere with halftrack, 1 Gebirasjager with halftrack, 2 Gebirasjager on foot, 1 Kradschutzen
8 tanks: 2 PzIVGs, 4 SE PzIVGs, 2 KV1B (PzIVs have 3 stars)
3 anti-tank: 2 7.5cm anti-tank guns, 1 Marder IIIH
5 artillery: Wurfrahmen 40, StuG IIIB, Sturm, 21cm Mrs, 21cm Nebelwerfer
2 fighters: 2 Bf 109F, 2 Fw 190A (1 Bf 109f with 4 stars, 1 with 3 stars, 2 Fw190A with 1 star)
2 tactical bombers: 2 Bf 110F (four stars)

KVs, Marder IIIH, and 7.5 cm anti-tank guns are disbanded for prestige after this scenario
final prestige: 2482
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

December 7, 1942, Bordeaux and the Gironde Estuary (Gironde scenario)

IC: British forces have landed both Northwest and Northeast of Bordeaux. Worse yet, British submarines carrying commandos is attempting to carry commandos right up the Gironde Estuary into Bordeaux.

Two squadrons of Bf 110s successfully destroy the British submarines carrying the commando forces.

Meanwhile, German panzer forces successfully drive back the British while a small infantry garrison force maintains control of Bordeaux.

Although no enemy aircraft are present, the British did manage to bring tanks, anti-tank guns, artillery, and anti-aircraft guns on this massive raid. My fighter squadrons were on R&R during this battle.

although final victory is in doubt, the British forces eventually surrender.

OOC: Decisive victory, 1 green Gebirsjager battalion lost during the battle
6 Inf: 1 Pioniere with halftrack, 1 Gebirasjager with halftrack, 2 Gebirasjager on foot, 1 Kradschutzen, 1 Wehrmacht Inf
8 tanks: 2 PzIVGs, 4 SE PzIVGs (PzIVs have 3 stars)
6 artillery: Wurfrahmen 40, StuG IIIB, Sturm, 2 21cm Mrs, 21cm Nebelwerfer
2 tactical bombers: 2 Bf 110F (four stars)

final prestige: 3644
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

July 9, 1943, Syracuse, Sicily (Syracuse scenario)

IC: Allied forces are overwhelming the defenders of Syracuse. High Command has issued orders for an orderly pull out, to maximize the number of survivors.

Although there are large numbers of allied forces overwhelming Syracuse, High Command had recently upgraded my panzer division. The latest Panther and Tiger tanks extract a heavy toll on the American forces.

Large numbers of Italian forces withdraw alongside my forces.

My forces eventually crush the first wave of allied attackers, and we withdraw before the second wave can crush us.

OOC: Decisive victory, no core units lost during the battle.
5 Inf: 1 Pioniere 43 with halftrack, 1 Gebirasjager with halftrack, 2 Gebirasjager 43 on foot, 1 Wehr 43 inf
6 tanks: 1 PzIVH, 1 Panther, 2 SE PzIVHs, 2 SE Tiger Is
5 artillery: Wurfrahmen 40, StuG IIIB, Sturm, 21cm Mrs, 21cm Nebelwerfer
1 flak: 12.8cm
5 fighters: 2 Bf 109G, 3 Fw 190A (1 Bf 109f with 4 stars, 1 with 3 stars, 2 Fw190A with 1 star)
2 tactical bombers: 2 Me 410A (four stars)

16 Italian Units survive: 4 inf, 4 tanks, 1 recon, 2 anti-tank, 3 artillery, 2 flak

final prestige: 1325 (after upgrades/replacements at beginning of next scenario
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

July 29, 1943, Etna Line South

IC: Our orders are to stop withdrawing and instead draw a defensive position along the Enta line.

My forces, along with the auxiliary Italians that have been caught up in the retreat, form along two strong points. Forces congregate along Maletto in the North East and around Acireale in the Southeast.

Making use of the mountainous and hilly terrain, we create killing zones where the axis forces destroy the invading allies.

Near the end of the battle, the German forces counter-attack on the offensive and capture Catania, Adrano, and Troina while the Italian forces withdraw to the next defensive line.

OOC: Decisive victory, no core units lost during the battle, 1 Italian tank destroyed by aircraft
4 Inf: 1 Pioniere 43 with halftrack, 1 Gebirasjager with halftrack, 2 Gebirasjager 43 on foot
5 tanks: 1 Panther, 2 SE PzIVHs, 2 SE Tiger Is
6 artillery: Wurfrahmen 40, StuG IIIB, Sturm, 2 21cm Mrs, 21cm Nebelwerfer
5 fighters: 1 Bf 109G, 4 Fw 190A (1 Bf 109f with 3 stars, 1 FW190 with 4 stars, 3 Fw190A with 2 star)
2 tactical bombers: 2 Me 410A (four stars)

16 Italian Units: 4 inf, 4 tanks, 1 recon, 2 anti-tank, 3 artillery, 2 flak

final prestige: 2324 (after upgrades/replacements at beginning of next scenario)
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

August 11, 1943, Messina (Messina Scenario)

IC: The evacuation of Sicily continues. Our defense of the Enta Line was merely temporary. All of our forces are crossing over to the Italian mainland. Allied naval forces and allied aircraft are attempting to prevent our evacuation while the allied land forces attempt to catch up to our withdraw.

I use the tigers and panthers to hold the clear terrain west of Messina while the withdraw commences. I assign the Gebir infantry and artillery to hold strategic hills, while the fighter squadrons have the important task of defeating the enemy bombers. My tactical bomber squadrons along with some auxiliary strategic bombers have the task of defeating the Royal Navy.

My air force controls the skies and the allied ground forces are no match for my tigers and panthers.

The evacuation is a complete success.

OOC: Decisive victory, no core units lost during the battle, Evacuation is successful
4 Inf: 1 Pioniere 43 with halftrack, 1 Gebirasjager with halftrack, 2 Gebirasjager 43 on foot
6 tanks: 2 Panthers, 4 SE Tiger Is
5 artillery: Wurfrahmen 40, StuG IIIB, Sturm, 1 21cm Mrs, 21cm Nebelwerfer
6 fighters: 1 Bf 109G, 4 Fw 190A (1 Bf 109f with 3 stars, 1 FW190 with 4 stars, 3 Fw190A with 2 star), 1 experimental fighter
3 tactical bombers: 2 Me 410A (four stars), 1 experimental bomber
2 auxiliary strategic bombers
15 Italian Units: 4 inf, 3 tanks, 1 recon, 2 anti-tank, 3 artillery, 2 flak

final prestige: 2806 (after upgrades/replacements at beginning of next scenario)

A note on prestige: There is a way to get a lot more prestige in this scenario. Instead of evacuating the Italian units (and losing them in this scenario once they are evacuated), you could instead disband the Italians for prestige. One of the Italian tanks is worth over 460 prestige. Some of the other Italian tanks, anti-tanks, and halftrack equipped units are also quite valuable. If you follow that approach, you still probably would want to evacuate 15 or so ground units, to get the experimental fighter and bomber units. So you might not disband all of the Italian units, but just the most expensive ones. You could also keep the Italian units in your core and use them to fight in a future battle, but you have no way to get them back, so once you use them, they are gone.
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

Sept 1, 1943, North of Catanzaro (Catanzaro Scenario)

The Italians have reached a separate peace with the allies. All Italian units are now considered hostile.

I split my army into three groups. Gebirsasjager infantry moving through the mountains directly north of Catanzaro, a force of tanks, motorized infantry, and artillery advancing from the northeast, and tanks, mechanized infantry, and artillery advancing from the Northwest.

The Italian positions are being reinforced by British troops from the southwest as well as British aircraft and naval forces.

Catanzaro is overrun relatively easily. The fighting with the British reaches its most difficult point between Pizzo and Filadelfia.

OOC: Decisive victory, no core units lost during the battle
5 Inf: 1 Pioniere 43 with halftrack, 1 Gebirasjager with halftrack, 2 Gebirasjager 43 on foot, 1 Kradschutzen
6 tanks: 2 Panther A, 4 SE Tiger I (1 panther with 4 stars, rest with 3 stars)
4 fighters: 3 Fw 190A (4 stars, 3 stars, 2 stars), 1 experimental fighter (1 star)
3 tactical bombers: 2 Me 410A (four stars), 1 experimental bomber (no star)
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

Sept 9, 1943, North of Taranto (Taranto Scenario)

I've been order to sink the Italian navy at Taranto before it can surrender to the allies (two battleships and three light cruisers). Two squadrons of auxiliary strategic bombers (20 overstrength Do-217s with +7 to attack hero) have been equipped with radio guided bombs to sink naval targets. The bombers only carry 2 shots, and will have to be rearmed after the initial bombing runs. I also received a special auxiliary recon flight (with +3 spotting, +1 move, +10 defense, and 400 fuel) to track any ships that escape the harbor.

My forces are located north of Taranto between Matera and Giolia del Colle. I send 1/3 of my land troops southeast along the coast, 1/3 to assault Taranto, and 1/3 to the area southwest of Taranto. My fighters and tactical bombers support the strategic bombers in assaulting the harbor and any ships that escape. There is no Italian air resistance (other than flak), although I have to fight the British airforce and British land forces southwest of Taranto.

At least one of the ships is scuttled in the harbor when my forces attempt to capture the ship. The rest are sunk by aircraft. A sad end to a force of ships that could have assisted in a Sea Lion effort.

An Italian AA gun and an Italian tank join my core forces during this battle.

5 Inf: 1 Pioniere 43 with halftrack, 1 Gebirasjager with halftrack, 2 Gebirasjager 43 on foot, 1 Kradschutzen
4 fighters: 3 Fw 190A (4 stars, 3 stars, 2 stars), 1 experimental fighter (1 star)

final prestige (after purchasing replacements) 3582
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

October 3, 1943, Northwest of the Volturno River (Volturno Line scenario)

I've been ordered to create the Volturno Line by positioning my forces behind the Volturno River and the Biferno River to create a defensive line that the British and Americans can not pass.

I garrison Caserta, Castelmauro, and Termoli. Caserta is under attack by the Americans for the entire battle. Castelmauro and Termoli are under attack by the British in the beginning of the battle, but then are only sporadically under attack.

The towns of Bojano, Campobasso, and Telese are considered strategic by high command, but are not protected by the rivers. I let the allies hold Telese and plan to capture Telese at the end of the battle. I delegate a large force to take and hold Campobasso, and hope that the fighting there will attract all enemy forces in the sector, allowing me to hold Bojano without having to garrison Bojano.

I do not attempt to defend the city of Naples, instead defending the river crossings north of the city.

6 Inf: 1 Pioniere 43 with halftrack, 1 Gebirasjager with halftrack, 2 Gebirasjager 43 on foot, 1 Kradschutzen, 1 Wehrmacht 43 inf

final prestige (after purchasing replacements) 3334

Final Core for 1942-1943 west
st=stars for experience
6 Inf: 1 Pioniere 43 with halftrack (4 st and 3 heroes), 1 Gebirasjager with halftrack (4 st and hero), 2 Gebirasjager 43 on foot (3 st, 2 st and hero), 1 Kradschutzen (2 st and hero), 1 Wehrmacht 43 inf (2 st)
7 tanks: 2 Panther A (4 st and 2 heroes, 4 st and 1 hero), 4 SE Tiger I (3 tigers with 4 st and 2 heroes, 1 tiger with 3 st and 1 hero), 1 P26/40 (1 st)
6 artillery: Wurfrahmen 40 (4 st and hero), StuH 42 (3 st), Sturm (3 st), 2 21cm Mrs (2 st and 1 st), 21cm Nebelwerfer (2 st)
2 flak: 1 12.8cm with halftrack (no st), 1 90/53 m41c with SE halftrack (2 st)
6 fighters: 5 Fw 190A (2 with 4 st and hero, 1 with 3 st and hero, 1 with 3st, 1 with 2 st), 1 experimental fighter (2 st, hero)
3 tactical bombers: 2 Me 410A (four stars and two heroes), 1 experimental bomber (2 st and hero)

My best units at the end of the 42-43 DLC versus the beginning:
Pioniere 43 has 1927 kills with 183 losses (Oleh Dir), had 1515 kills with 152 losses; result is 412 kills with 31 losses
Panther A has 1395 kills with 123 losses (Albert Kerscher), had 917 kills with 114 losses; result is 478 kills with 9 losses
Panther A has 547 kills with 39 losses (Heniz Rondorf), had 189 kills with 32 losses; result is 358 kills with 7 losses
SE Tiger I has 964 kills with 99 losses, had 588 kills with 81 losses; result is 376 kills with 18 losses, other tigers had 353-406 kills with 12-15 losses
ME 410 has 1195 kills with 14 losses (Rudel) had 562 kills with 3 losses; result is 633 kills with 11 losses
ME 410 has 1053 kills with 36 losses (Helmut Lent), had 672 kills with 18 losses; result is 381 kills with 18 losses

Not surprisingly, Rudel had the most kills during the 42-43 west DLC. Surprising is that the Albert Kerscher Panther was second best on kills and had the second fewest losses. Both panthers outdid my four tigers. Especially surprising when you consider that Panthers lack the high armor of a tiger and their faster move allows them to get into more dangerous situations. Granted, the two panthers had special heroes that were better than the tiger heroes, but they weren't much better.

For prestige tax reasons, my original plan for upgrading the force in 1944-45 was to keep the panthers as panthers while upgrading the SE tigers to SE king tigers. Given that the two panthers are my best tank aces, I have not made a final decision on that and am considering the possibility of making them King Tigers, although that would add a significant prestige penalty. I think I'll follow my original plan, the high speed of the panthers makes them useful for some scenarios where there is a lot of movement in the beginning.
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

More OOC comments on the Prestige Tax. I'll be posting the 1944 AARs soon.

In 1944, the prestige tax is definitely at work, but it is not too severe of an impact.

In the Monte Cassino scenario, my forces were about 800-1000 (divided by 20+ units, so maybe 440-450 per unit) over the 400 prestige per unit limit. So there was an initial penalty, but as I took losses, my force dropped below the prestige cap and I started receiving full prestige when I captured a town. The two Panzer Grenadier halftracks help with the prestige cap (100 prestige each) as do my infantry without vehicles (100+ prestige per unit). The most expensive units in my force are the two panthers and the aircraft.

As previously stated, I'm planning on keeping the panthers as panthers and rely on the SE tax exclusion for my truly expensive tanks. I do intend to keep upgrading the aircraft to the best aircraft I can get.

I'm not using over-strength for my core units. I am using over strength on my SE units (4 SE King Tigers and 1 SE Bf-109), but only raising them to 11. I'm following the theory that buying a unit from 10 to 11 during pre-battle phase is the same price as repairing a unit from 9 to 10 during a battle. In Beaches of Normandy, two of my king tigers kept their over-strength for the whole battle, but two of them lost their over-strength. The allied tanks in Beaches of Normandy are not that bad, it was just random bad luck that caused my king tigers to take losses (rolls of 100, etc.).
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

January 22, 1944, Rushing towards Anzio (Anzio Scenario)

The allies have landed behind our lines at Anzio. My Panzer Division has been ordered to contain the landing. Although I don't have to drive the allies into the sea, High Command insists I create a cordon of strongpoints that the allies can not escape.

My plan is to hold the strategic towns of Lido dei Pini, Aprilla, Conca, and Littoria. If I can hold the allies at those four strongpoints, we should win this battle.

Each town also has a nearby supply depot, which if it survives, will give me a minefield to be used in a future scenario.

For obvious reasons, I will want to deploy at least one infantry unit to each town and one artillery unit to support the town. I will use my armor and aircraft to support the artillery and infantry as necessary.

Force are divided as follows:
Lido dei Pini: Gebirasjager, SE Tiger, 21 cm Nebelwerfer
Campoleone: Gebirasjager, Werhrmacht Inf, 2 21 cm Mrs, 2 SE Tiger
Conca and Littoria: A combined force will take Conca first, and then move on to Littoria: 2 Panthers, SE Tiger, Pioniere, Kradschutzen, Gebirasjager, Wurfrahmen 40, StuH 42, Sturmpanzer, 2 Panzer Grenadiers
Air Units will be a mobile reserve.

6 Inf: 1 Pioniere 43 with halftrack (4 st and 3 heroes), 1 Gebirasjager with halftrack (4 st and hero), 2 Gebirasjager 43 on foot (3 st, 2 st and hero), 1 Kradschutzen (2 st and hero), 1 Wehrmacht 43 inf (2 st)
6 tanks: 2 Panther A (4 st and 2 heroes, 4 st and 1 hero), 4 SE Tiger I (3 tigers with 4 st and 2 heroes, 1 tiger with 3 st and 1 hero)
6 artillery: Wurfrahmen 40 (4 st and hero), StuH 42 (3 st), Sturm (3 st), 2 21cm Mrs (2 st and 1 st), 21cm Nebelwerfer (2 st)
4 fighters: 3 Fw 190A (2 with 4 st and hero, 1 with 3 st and hero), 1 experimental fighter (2 st, hero)
3 tactical bombers: 2 Me 410A (four stars and two heroes), 1 experimental bomber (2 st and hero)

Decisive Victory: We capture and hold all towns (the game does not end until the final turn, regardless of when we recapture the towns). The allies try to destroy the supply dumps, but only damage the supplies. I receive the full six minefields.

The allies initially attack all four towns. The hardest initial fighting is around Littoria.

A second wave of allied forces attacks Lido dei Pini (attempting to flank it on a naval invasion) and Conca.

The U.S. uses many heavy weapons units in this battle, as well as several dangerous M10 Wolverines.

No units are lost, although one of the tigers is knocked down to 6 str points and another tiger is reduced to 7 str points.
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

February 8, 1944, the City of Cassino (Cassino scenario)

A combined force of Americans and New Zealanders is moving on Cassino. In addition to stopping the allies, I've also been asked to escort a convoy of monks away from the Abbey.

Cassino Deployment
Three infantry on foot, two tigers, and my best fighter are on the mountain. Their job is to escort the two trucks off the mountain and prevent allied land forces from catching the trucks. A tiger, a halftrack grenadier, a gebirasjager with halftrack, and a Nebelwerfer in the north near Sora, with the assignment to take Atina. Two panthers, a StuH 42, two 21cm Mrs, two fighters, and 1 tactical bomber are near Ceprano and will rush to reinforce the Cassino area. The panthers will control the roads south and north of the mountain.
A tiger, a Pioniere, a Kradschutzen, a panzer grenadier halftrack, a Wurframen 40, a sturmpanzer, a fighter, and two tactical bombers are west of Sperlonga with the assignment to capture everything south and west of the Liri River. Then the Pioniere will hold the San Giorgio bridge while the Tiger will controlt the bridge west of Castelforte. Six minefields were deployed north, east, and south of Cassino.

6 minefields (use once and lose them)
6 tanks: 2 Panther A (4 st and 2 heroes, 4 st and 1 hero), 4 SE Tiger I (3 tigers with 4 st and 2 heroes, 1 tiger with 3 st and 1 hero)
5 fighters: 3 Fw 190A (2 with 4 st and hero, 1 with 3 st and hero), 1 experimental fighter (2 st, hero), 1 SE BF 109G (2 st, hero)

Decisive victory on turn 16 (final turn is 17).

Heavy resistance from elite (3 star) New Zealand troops and experienced (1 star) American troops. Numerous flights of American Aircraft (I counted 4 fighters, 1 tactical, and 2 strat bombers on turn 1).

One Gebirasjager is lost (and reformed). I took many, many strength points of damage due to aircraft, M10 Wolverines, and waves of troops when I did not expect them. This is one of the bloodiest 1944 scenarios, and bloodier than any of the scenarios in 1942-1943 west.

SE Bf109G (hero, 2 st) is gained when trucks reach the exit. I do not have the trucks follow the road through the city of Cassino. Instead, I send the trucks through woods off the mountain to rejoin the road southwest of the mountain.

SE Tigers are positioned south and north of the city to cover the escape of the trucks.

A large number of allied forces are killed south and north of the city in the clear terrain.

The towns of Castleforte and Cervaro are heavily garrisoned (M10 Wolverines, artillery, and an AA gun at Castleforte). The garrisons are so strong that a marginal victory that ignores these two towns is probably the better choice instead of going for a decisive victory.

Prestige at start: 5150

OOC: I like the mine fields. Its too bad that other scenarios don't give you good setup places for the mines. The trucks are never really threatened in this scenario by enemy aircraft, the US planes seem to prefer hunting my artillery and tigers.

Also, note that (20,22) is a Forest Hex. It does not look like a forest hex (only a few trees and appears more like a clear hex). It does have the shading that you would see for a forest hex when an aircraft is in the hex.
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

I'm going to take a break before I write up Monte Cassino and the remainder of the 1944 DLC west. One comment I will make now is that Monte Cassino actually has a slightly different map than Cassino. Not only has the abbey been destroyed, but some of the forest growth is different on this map.
endur
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by endur »

I'm not quite motivated enough to write up the 44 and 45 battles, but here are some of the results from the 1944 West campaign.
Note that due to some scenarios that recommended against bringing air units, I increased the numbers of infantry and artillery in my core to compensate. I did not increase the tanks, as the tanks seemed to be doing just fine.

Final Core for 1944 west
st=stars for experience
11 Inf: 1 Pioniere 43 with halftrack (5 st and 3 heroes), 1 Gebirasjager with halftrack (2 st and 2 heroes), 2 Gebirasjager 43 on foot (0 st, 1 st and hero), 1 Kradschutzen (2 st and hero), 5 Wehrmacht 43 inf (3 st and hero, 3 st, 2 st, 1 st, 0 st), 1 bridge unit with truck (0 st)
8 tanks: 2 Panther G (5 st and 3 heroes, 5 st and 2 hero), 4 SE Tiger II (3 tigers with 5 st and 2 heroes, 1 tiger with 5 st and 3 heroes), 1 P26/40 (1 st), 1 Firefly (3 st and hero)
1 AT: Jagdpanther (0 st)
11 artillery: Wurfrahmen 40 (5 st and 2 heroes), StuH 42 (2 st with hero), Sturm (5 st), 2 21cm Mrs (3 st with hero and 3 st), 21cm Nebelwerfer (3 st with hero), 15 cm sFH (1 st), Wespe (4 st), 2 Hummel (both 3 st), Panzerwerfer 42 (3 st)
2 flak: 1 12.8cm with halftrack (1 st), 1 90/53 m41c with SE halftrack (2 st)
8 fighters: 2 Fw 190D-9 (1 with 3 st, 1 with 0 st), 3 Me 262A (1 with 5 st and hero, 1 with 4 st and 2 heroes, 1 with 4 st and 1 hero), 1 experimental fighter (4 st, hero), 1 SE Bf 109K (4 st with 1 hero), 1 Spitfire Ix(e) (1 st)
3 tactical bombers: 2 Me 410A (five st and two heroes, 0 st and two heroes), 1 experimental bomber (5 st and hero)
2 half-track grenadiers (1 with 2 st and hero, 1 with 0 st and hero)

My best units at the end of the 44 DLC versus the beginning:

Pioniere 43 (Oleh Dir) has 2580 kills with 226 losses, had 1927 kills with 183 losses; 44 result was 653 kills with 43 losses, 42-43 result was 412 kills with 31 losses

22nd Panther G (Albert Kerscher) has 1971 kills with 134 losses, had 1395 kills with 123 losses; 44 result was 576 kills with 11 losses; 42-43 result was 478 kills with 9 losses

27th Panther G (Heinz Rondorf) has 1059 kills with 56 losses, had 547 kills with 39 losses; 44 result is 512 kills with 17 losses; 42-43 result was 358 kills with 7 losses

SE King Tigers had 1430 kills with 127 losses, 1252 kills with 90 losses, 1243 kills with 75 losses, 983 kills with 53 losses. One King Tiger had 44 result of 464 kills with 28 losses, 42-43 result was 376 kills with 18 losses. Other King Tigers had comparable numbers.

ME 410 (Rudel) has 1890 kills with 25 losses, had 1195 kills with 14 losses; 44 result is 695 kills with 11 losses, 42-43 result was 633 kills with 11 losses

ME 410 (Helmut Lent) has 1410 kills with 75 losses, had 1053 kills with 36 losses (Helmut Lent); 44 result was 357 kills iwth 39 losses; 42-43 result was 381 kills with 18 losses

Some more comments: My tanks and fighters are unstoppable. The AI leaves Rudel and my experimental Do-335a alone for the most part, but AI fighters swarm my Helmut Lent Me 410 if I do not give it a fighter escort ... I lost it several times in 1944 due to lack of fighter escort.

My infantry and artillery are magnets for being attacked by the AI. Most of my infantry was reformed at some point in 1944, except for the Oleh Dir unit.

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”