The Diary of Herr Pferdmann

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

October 15th 1943 (1)
Despite the good weather heavy cloud cover has been predicted.

The 1st Division advanced towards Tula and locates the forward Russian forward defences. Two Regiments of SU-85s were engaged and badly mauled.

The 2nd Division also advances locating a Regiment of SU-152s and a Regiment of ISU-122s. Heavy fighting ensures in which my Panzers come of best.

The 3rd Division was involved in heavy fighting; managing to destroy a SU-85 Regiment, a BA64 Regiment and an Anti-tank Regiment.

The 4th Division succeed in capturing Yartsevo destroying the Conscript Infantry Regiment defending the city. On the other side of the rive the Luftwaffe manage to obliterate a Regiment of BA64 armoured cars.
Further north reserve elements of AGC force the defenders of Belyj back with heavy loses.

Other elements of AGC (reserves) drive the defenders of Andreapol back and should secure the city in a day or two.
Olenino is approached, defended by a lone Conscript Regiment.

Another IS-122 Regiment appeared in the west badly mauling some Infantry from AGC reserves, luckily have the 4th Panzer Division on hand to deal with the threat...
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

October 18th 1943 (2)
Despite predictions the skies remained clear though cloud is once more forecast.

27th Panzer Regiment with air support destroyed both SU-85 Regiments and the rest of the 1st Division begin to encircle Tula. A BA64 Regiment is destroyed attempting to block their advance and the 34th Panzer Regiment overrun an Artillery Regiment deployed on the airfield.

The 2nd Division destroyed the SU-152 and ISU-122 Regiments and advanced. Yukhnov is poorly defended and Kaluga is only slightly better protected.

The 3rd Division advances to the gates of Vyazma and destroyed an Anti-tank Regiment holding their left flank as well as an Artillery Regiment providing cover fire for the city.

The 4th Division advances and captures Belyj. They succeed in destroying the counter attacking ISU-122s as well as the local conscript Regiment.

In the north the reserve elements of AGC capture Andreapol.

Soviet fighters attack the 2nd Panzer Division but make little to no impact on our heavily armoured tanks, I have already sent a signal to my Luftflotte Commander, intercept and destroy.
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

October 21st 1943 (3)
The skies remain clear though now Rain is predicted, I have a strong sense of Deja vu.

Three Russian Regiments have been destroyed around Tula and the city is now surrounded.

Yukhnov was captured and an Anti-tank Regiment shielding Kaluga has been destroyed.
In the air my Luftflotte destroy both Soviet Fighter Wings.

The 2nd Division manages to destroy another ISU-122 Regiments and the Conscripts guarding Vyazma are also routed, the city should be secured shortly.
In the air the Russian Bombers are badly shot up and will have to withdraw.

Olenino was captured by the 4th Division and the local Conscript Regiment has been eliminated.
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

October 24th 1943 (4)
No rain and the skies are blue, I may need to sack my weather forecasters.

The 1st Division captured Tula destroying both Conscript Regiments in the heavy fighting.

The 2nd Division has encircled Kaluga obliterating its defending forces.

As they advance on Mozhalsk the 3rd Division encounter some Soviet Cavalry. The Lead Panzers engaged and the SU-122 Artillery are bombed by the Luftwaffe.

The 4th Division has thrown itself at the fortifications near Rzhev. A Russian Cavalry Regiment and an Anti-tank Regiment are both destroyed and a second AT Regiment forced back.

Using all but obsolete Tanks the Red army attempts to stem the tide in an assault on the 3rd Division.
MartyWard
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by MartyWard »

Horseman wrote:October 24th 1943 (4)
Around here they give the weather man a raise when he's wrong as often as yours is. :D

Great AAR BTW. I've tried a few of your strategies and have had much better results, grouping my core forces into 'divisions' has really helped.
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

MartyWard wrote:
Horseman wrote:October 24th 1943 (4)
Around here they give the weather man a raise when he's wrong as often as yours is. :D
Since turn 2 it was supposed to be cloudy or last turn rain....and yet clear all the way. Thats what I call lucky...not sure wha tthe odds are of being wrong 3 times in a row but cant be good ones!

Thanks, just don't try my Moscow 41 Strategy.....utter failure!
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

October 27th 1943 (5)
New equipment has been made available, nothing exiting

The 1st Division has crossed the Oka and Moskua Rivers in one swift advance following the Luftwaffe reports that Kolomna is unguarded.
They will soon be at Moscow’s gates.

Maloyaroslavets lies undefended and is easily seized. The 2nd Division advanced on Serukhov where they locate heavy concentrations of Soviet Armour. A Regiment of T34s is destroyed but some KV1s remain.
Kaluga and its adjacent airfield were also secured.

The BT7s that so heroically attempted to stall the 3rd Division are easily crushed and the 3rd Division also manages to overrun the Soviet Cavalry and Artillery positions.

The defenders of Rzhev were cleared out by the 4th Division and the city captured.
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

October 30th 1943 (6)
The 1st Division meet no resistance on their drive to Moscow and end at the outskirts of Noginsk.

Serpukhov is captured by the 2nd Division and the Russian KV1s destroyed. They also eliminated a Cavalry Regiment north of the city.

The Conscript Regiment in Mozhaisk is destroyed and the city should be secured shortly.
The 3rd Division now heads north.

The Anti-tank Regiment blocking the road is eliminated by the 13th Gebirgsjager Regiment allowing the 4th Division to drive onwards.
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

November 2nd 1943 (7)
The long predicted good cloud cover has arrived even though I was told it would be clear.

A Flak Regiment deployed in Moscow's “rear” area now finds itself on the front line.

A Conscript Regiment was destroyed by the 2nd Division near Serpukhov and another in Naro Fominsk.

The 3rd Division has destroyed the remaining T34s shielding Volokolamsk as well as the Anti_tank Regiment blocking the main advance. Only Conscripts remain to hold the city, it should fall soon.

The 4th advance meeting no resistance and seize Kalinin.
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

November 5th 1943 (8.)
The end is nigh for the great Bear.

The 1st and 2nd Division combine in their assault on Moscow destroying a T34 Regiment, the rear area Flak Regiment and an Anti-tank Regiment guarding the bridges to the south-west of the city. With only Conscripts left to defend her the city should fall soon.

The 3rd Division has captured Volokolansk destroying two out of three of the Conscript Regiments.

The 4th Division has met no resistance and continue to drive onwards.
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

November 8th 1943 (9)
Moscow has been all but occupied with the destruction of its last three defending Regiments.
Dmitrov is found to be unprotected and easily subdued whilst Klin has a lone Conscript Regiment holding a very loose perimeter. I predict the last bastion of Russian resistance will soon be crushed and only the moping up of scattered forces will remain.

November 26th 1943 (15)
New equipment has been made available

The past eighteen day has been spent securing our positions resulting in the destruction of four more Conscript Regiments and two BA64 Regiments.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Grats so far, looking forward to a detailed look at the USA scenarios next!
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

Kerensky wrote:Grats so far, looking forward to a detailed look at the USA scenarios next!
Thanks Kerensky, Moscow 43 was soooooo much easier than 41! POssibly the easist scenario to date!

Now what to spend 18k+ Prestige on?!?!?! :D
Fimconte
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Fimconte »

Horseman wrote:
Kerensky wrote:Grats so far, looking forward to a detailed look at the USA scenarios next!
Thanks Kerensky, Moscow 43 was soooooo much easier than 41! POssibly the easist scenario to date!

I think it's because of the more experienced units and better equipment available to you.

Also. Tiger II's and Mauses (for those units with +1/+2movement heroes).
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

Fimconte wrote:
Horseman wrote:

I think it's because of the more experienced units and better equipment available to you.

Also. Tiger II's and Mauses (for those units with +1/+2movement heroes).
So you rekon all tanks to Tiger IIs? Except those with a +move Hero whom should get a Mouse? Tempting!
Fimconte

Post by Fimconte »

Horseman wrote: So you rekon all tanks to Tiger IIs? Except those with a +move Hero whom should get a Mouse? Tempting!
Pretty much, there's really no reason to use anything else if you can spare the prestige, since TigerII and Maus offer the biggest "bang" for your prestige.

Also most of your infantry should be Pioneers 43' for attacking entrenched positions.
Maybe a few units of Grenadiers 43', since they do have +1 Hard Attack over the Pioneers 43', but it's a wash since more often than not you'll be attacking entrenched infantry with them.
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

Thanks for the thoughts....I was leaning towards all Tiger IIs but was goign to stay away from the Maus due to its horrible speed! Never thought about my plus 1 move hero unints...not that I have many of those!

All fighters will be upgraded to the best I can

As for inf, all Pionieres? Hmmmmm I was leaning towards upgrading all my Reg inf so each Division had 1 pioniere and 1 Grenadier...will have to think on this 1!

Am a bit concerned that I may lack the raw speed I'm used to (move 6 panthers, move 3 Inf) then again a fair few of my inf have +1 move so may not be an issue!!!
I love this stage of the game!
Horseman
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by Horseman »

December 1st 1943
With Europe secure under German rule high Command has issued a list of honours my forces won for themselves in their last campaign.

AgentX
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by AgentX »

Horseman wrote:Am a bit concerned that I may lack the raw speed I'm used to (move 6 panthers, move 3 Inf) then again a fair few of my inf have +1 move so may not be an issue!!!
I love this stage of the game!
You should be concerned with speed because US East Coast has very few turns (18 for Marginal Victory) and even fewer for Decisive Victory. Personally, my recipe for success was to convert every tank unit that has a +1 Movement Hero to a Tiger II. A Maus, even with +1Mov is still too slow. A Tiger II with +1Mov is almost unstoppable. I also convert every tank unit with Attack Heroes to Panthers. A Panther with a couple of Attack Heroes is almost as good as a Tiger II.

Now, the reason you need some Panthers is you need to get down to the Southern Victory Hexes quickly, since time is of the essence. You really should forget about trying to land a force down south since the US has a HUGE navy down there (plus an equally large air force). It will take too long to clear the navy, so either they'll have to sit off away for a long while or they might get spotted and decimated. Get your units on land as soon as possible (I land north of Virginia Beach and all the way up to New York). Watch out, there is a big turret gun south of Virginia Beach and another near Philadelphia. Have your fastest division go south and their only job is to secure the Southern VH's. Your other two divisions take New York, Washington and the other VH's to the east and northeast.

Good luck, Herr Pferdmann. The Fatherland is depending on you.
Last edited by AgentX on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Panzer Corps Beta Tester
Fimconte

Post by Fimconte »

AgentX wrote: You should be concerned with speed because US East Coast has very few turns (18 for Marginal Victory) and even fewer for Decisive Victory. Personally, my recipe for success was to convert every tank unit that has a +1 Movement Hero to a Tiger II. A Maus, even with +1Mov is still too slow. A Tiger II with +1Mov is almost unstoppable. I also convert every tank unit with Attack Heroes to Panthers. A Panther with a couple of Attack Heroes is almost as good as a Tiger II.

Now, the reason you need some Panthers is you need to get down to the Southern Victory Hexes quickly, since time is of the essence. You really should forget about trying to land a force down south since the US has a HUGE navy down there (plus an equally large air force). It will take too long to clear the navy, so either they'll have to sit off away for a long while or they might get spotted and decimated. Get your units on land as soon as possible (I land north of Virginia Beach and all the way up to New York). Watch out, there is a big turret gun south of Virginia Beach and another near Philadelphia. Have your fastest division go south and their only job is to secure the Southern VH's. Your other two divisions take New York, Washington and the other VH's to the east and northeast.

Good luck, Herr Pferdmann. The Fatherland is depending on you.
I disagree, Movement 4 is enough for Maus to keep up with the general push. Fort Knox is only 24 hexes from the nearest landing zone, that's only 6 turns at full speed, that leaves you with 4 turns for "only" combat, assuming you land on the 2nd turn (last turn for DV is 12), which should be enough since there's only 2 fronts to be crushed, one at Huntington and then Fort Knox itself, with Huntington featuring considerable amount of American Armor.

As for the Southern VP's, they shouldn't be a issue really. I raced down the coast until Myrtle Beach, then hooked North-East to Charlotte with a detachment and onward to Putney with another.
The road to both towns was relatively empty and Putney was lightly defended for the most part (no armor), while Charlotte was surrounded with tanks.

The main reason to pick Tigers over Panthers however is the fact that M26 Pershings are a tougher nut to crack with Panthers.

Still, reaching and taking Fort Knox can be a bigger problem than the south if you assign a division or two for the southern tasks.

P.S. For Midwest, West, I recommend a few K5's. They really pack a punch. Also a few Wurfrahmen 40's or Nibelwerfers to clear Infantry.

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”