Favorite Close Combat Series Game?

The Close Combat series has been a favourite for years. The relaunch brings huge updates to this classic series of games.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Close Combat Moderators

What version of Close Combat was your favorite?

Close Combat 1 Normandy
No votes
Close Combat 2 Bridge Too Far
40%
Close Combat 3 East Front
35%
Close Combat 4 Battle of the Bulge
8%
Close Combat 5 Normandy
18%

Total votes: 40

DJ88
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Favorite Close Combat Series Game?

Post by DJ88 »

Poll has been done many times before on various CC forums...but thought it would make sense to post new poll here at Slitherine.
MajVonRyan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Favorite Close Combat Series Game?

Post by MajVonRyan »

Dylan wrote:Poll has been done many times before on various CC forums...but thought it would make sense to post new poll here at Slitherine.
Hi Dylan,

You missed one, 'all of the above'
Kanov_Slitherine
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Kanov_Slitherine »

Only thing missing in CC2 is scavenging to make it perfect. And maybe a timer for the battles.
CSO_Talorgan

Post by CSO_Talorgan »

Kanov wrote:Only thing missing in CC2 is scavenging to make it perfect.
Fairly sure I've witnessed scavenging in II.
greenmanx2o

Post by greenmanx2o »

Close Combat III The Russian Front was the very first PC game I bought. At the time it took up a quarter of my hard drive lol!
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Close Combat 3 East Front

Choosing your own units makes the game infinitely more fun, although I understand that's my personal trait.
honvedseg
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by honvedseg »

Tough choice between CC2 "A Bridge Too Far" and CC3 "Eastern Front", but I picked CC3. CC2 gave you the ability to divert points from one operation to put toward another, and the action rotated between different maps with different units, making it slightly more "strategic" and seeming much bigger that it was. CC3 gave you more latitude with troop and vehicle selection, and felt like a better "RP" experience, where you got to know the names and follow the exploits of a few of your more prominent soldiers, but it was a much more linear campaign. CC4 gave you direct control over which units were sent where, offering a lot more strategic possibilities, but all of the forces were strictly "by the book" in terms of composition, making the battles feel a lot more repetitive and the units rather generic, relegating it to a solid overall third choice.

I have fond memories of playing a German campaign in the original CC, where I ran the timeline bar completely off the edge of the menu screen by at least a month (delaying the Allies severely) while the game got tougher with each battle, until I couldn't get more than a single replacement trooper per battle. The final map must have had 30+ burned out Allied tanks blocking the way forward by the time I ran out of men, almost all toasted by Panzershreks. The sequels were better games, but the original was still pretty fun.

Return to “Close Combat Series”