This release vs Matrix Games'?

The Close Combat series has been a favourite for years. The relaunch brings huge updates to this classic series of games.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Close Combat Moderators

Adlerson
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

This release vs Matrix Games'?

Post by Adlerson »

Is there a difference between the release of CC here and the one Matrix Games released over the past few years?

Cheers,
Adlerson
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Slitherine & Matrix have just updated all the Close Combat games to v2.0 with various enhancements and improvements. The version is the same on both sites. They are the same core games but with many bug fuixes and tweaks, especially to things like the AI and route finding which were issues in earlier releases especially in the older Microsoft versions of the games.
DJ1

Post by DJ1 »

Are your developers taking over? I hope so. There was much left to be desired with the re-releases...actually the AI was WORSE than the original games in many respects. Although I have yet to install these patches.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Not sure what you mean about our developers taking over? The patches make huge improvements to the AI so check them out.
DJ88
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re:

Post by DJ88 »

admin wrote:Slitherine & Matrix have just updated all the Close Combat games to v2.0 with various enhancements and improvements. The version is the same on both sites. They are the same core games but with many bug fuixes and tweaks, especially to things like the AI and route finding which were issues in earlier releases especially in the older Microsoft versions of the games.
Were there some updates for compatibility for Windows 7? Cross of Iron kept crashing on my Mac running Windows 7. Whereas Panzer Corps runs perfect...I don't think it has ever crashed once. Can I pay to trade-up to boxed version of LSA and TLD? I only have the boxed version of CoI and want to re-install LSA & TLD on my new Intel Mac that has Windows 7. I'll need to give CoI another try with those updates...got frustrated it kept crashing and uninstalled it.

Re: older Microsoft productions of CC2 and CC3...ironically many if not most CC gamers claim those Microsoft releases were the very best. Not sure if they had deep pockets for budget $ or what. But IMO the quality of CC productions fell off a cliff after CC3...to the point CC5 was totally useless against the AI. Also I have always been impressed with the high quality video morning briefings of CC2...with the real combat footage that was digitally enhanced. Really made the game feel more authentic with the real videos.
SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Re: This release vs Matrix Games'?

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Dylan,

You can download the latest update to Cross of Iron here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/335/downloads/

It does not have any fixes specific to Windows 7 on the Mac, but there were some graphical changes to help with problems running on high resolution systems (which weren't around when the game was originally released), so you might want to give it a try.

You'll need to talk to Matrix customer service about upgrading from one version to another, but there is not a deal like that I am aware of, sorry.
edb1815
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by edb1815 »

I have the old MS versions of CC and they won't run on Win 7 on a PC either. Will these new releases run on Win 7?
SteveMcClaire
Matrix
Matrix

Post by SteveMcClaire »

edb1815 wrote:I have the old MS versions of CC and they won't run on Win 7 on a PC either. Will these new releases run on Win 7?
Yes, they do run on Windows 7.
Wodin
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re:

Post by Wodin »

DJ1 wrote:Are your developers taking over? I hope so. There was much left to be desired with the re-releases...actually the AI was WORSE than the original games in many respects. Although I have yet to install these patches.

Dylan..Matrix and Slitherine joined forces a couple of years ago. They are really the same company. Slitherine the UK branch and Matrix the US branch.
DJ88
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by DJ88 »

Come on Slitherine...I was hoping you would improve the game vs prior re-releases and the original series.

Instead now there appears to be 2 separate critical reviews...one on a Finnish gaming website and another from a respected gaming industry veteran from Armchair General.

Both reviews totally slam the AI gameplay and it appears that there has been no improvement whatsover for AI. Ever since CC5 going back 10 years now the AI gameplay has steadily worsened to the point of being virtually unplayable as single player vs AI.

The only way Slitherine can fix this is to cut down on the size of the maps and try to mimic the success of CC2 or CC3 with those smaller parameters. I hope the GA date is postponed so these issues can be resolved.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Dylan - that statement is completely incorrect.

The Finnish site has not reviewed the game. A beta tester sent them some materials illegally from an early build. It is not from the released version of the game. We are reviewing what action to take as a legal NDA was in place forbidding this type of thing.

The Armchair General has not reviewed the game but they have given a positive preview.

Wargamer.fr has a given a very positive preview of the game commenting on the major improvements in the AI.

As far as I know this is all the coverage that is available so far.

The AI is never going to be as good as a human opponent but it does give a fun and challenging game. The best thing to do is wait for some feedback from people who have the game.
MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by MrsWargamer »

Regarding AI.

Well I have bought for the most part damn near every hard core wargame released since 1997. by hard core, I mean not arcady shooters nor silly RTS concepts and certainly not empire builders. I am referring to stuff that pretty much makes you think board game wargame come to the computer. Through ALL of those games, I have often wondered if the only reason for AI is because stubborn obstinant reclusive wargamers that refuse to get off their butts and seek out human opponents are still important enough to sales you can't ignore them.

Last time I checked, we were only still playing Close Combat any release based on the strength of the love of the game human vs human. I seriously doubt the AI has ever been inspired in any iteration of Close Combat when compared with even an average human. I know the AI has yet to be 'inspired' in any wargame I have ever played to date on a machine of some sort. That's the harsh reality of electronic wargaming. Playing the AI in a game is the same as masturbating and trying to say 'its ok you don't mind playing alone'.

Yes I know that was crude, but it gets the point across. You don't play wargames vs the AI for a quality experience. When the game seems challenging, it is likely you are just not as good as you might like to think you are.

I have always known, the only way to get a great wargaming experience, is to play both sides, ensure a human mind is in control of everything and not get in a fluster when the AI does WHAT?! There is a reason we so love our board games, because we either play them solo us vs ourselves or against a human. There is no AI in a board game.

Return to “Close Combat Series”