Life is indeed good :)

The Close Combat series has been a favourite for years. The relaunch brings huge updates to this classic series of games.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Close Combat Moderators

MrsWargamer
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Life is indeed good :)

Post by MrsWargamer »

I foolishly over spent on Close Combat last year 2010 getting the Matrix Games releases (that is I spent money I likely should have not spent, the games are solid value though, I was just not as rich as I wanted to think I was :)).

But now they have been revamped even better. Life is good. I am happier n hell they have offered us loyal past buyers with the update free.

But Close Combat is one of probably only 3 wargames to be truly timeless. Combat Mission was dragged out of the 90s recently, now if ony someone could rescue Steel Panthers from it's dos hell (yes I know of the work arounds). The game via the Mega Campaigns is stunning just so long as you don't mind bending over backwards, and playing in convoluted out OS conditions with hardware that simply doesn't understand the original software much (the mouse being the worst offender).

It would be nice to see it just plain replaced. I don't even mind if they shamelessly copy it and call it Iron Tigers to preserve the IP. I just want it made in the last couple of years at most. Oh well I can dream.

Meanwhile, get yer copy of Close Combat if you haven't already. Real time the way it was meant to be. Well better than the stuff that normally wears the label at least.
soldier
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by soldier »

Yea Steel Panthers was a favourite and in need of the treatment that panzer general is getting. As for close combat, i bought Cross of Iron last year but gave up on it after a few months. Too many russian heavy tanks far too early in 41 and no way to alter it. The combat was great and pretty realistic but the OOB wasn't
submarinex1
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by submarinex1 »

im feeling annoyed at moment, brought Close Combat: The Longest Day and tried to download but was really slow so stoped it and tried again, then tried using DAP to see if that speeded it up but that failed to even start ,now it tells me i cant download it, even though ive yet to download single copy.
this is first let down ive had on a slitherine item.

ive done the emails to plirus and slitherine to try sort it but its a saturday so dont expect reply till monday at latest. its annoying though and as long as it gets sorted quick wont put me of other titles.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry you had problems - we'll get it sorted out ASAP.
submarinex1

Post by submarinex1 »

i just had reply from plimus who have reset the download, and its downloading.
rich12545
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by rich12545 »

soldier wrote:Yea Steel Panthers was a favourite and in need of the treatment that panzer general is getting. As for close combat, i bought Cross of Iron last year but gave up on it after a few months. Too many russian heavy tanks far too early in 41 and no way to alter it. The combat was great and pretty realistic but the OOB wasn't
There's mod for too many tanks. Check the mod page.
http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/CoI/coimods.html

Two things I really don't like about close combat. No pause and give orders. No save during a battle. Game breakers for me.

For steel panthers, check the camo section at shrapnel games. They have an excellent ww2 and modern one, works on modern computers and wide screens.
DJ1

Post by DJ1 »

Ha ha...Steel Panthers in Dos hell...exactly.
steelwarrior
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by steelwarrior »

What is your experience with Close Combat - any improvemnts made in between?
SirGarnet
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Life is indeed good :)

Post by SirGarnet »

I've liked Close Combat right up to Normandy and once again with the updated re-releases. Normandy was my favorite since I think the terrain and troop mix showed the best of the system. The improvements and clean-up in Longest Day was worth the money. It is at its best against clever human players, though, and finding those is the challenge.

Return to “Close Combat Series”