Tech support forum for Egypt Engineering an Empire

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Deiotaros
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Problems loading/playing the PC CD-ROM Egypt- Eng. an Empire

Post by Deiotaros »

Hello,
I recently purchased Egypt-engineering an empire as a PC CD-ROM, but CANNOT play the game. When I load the game the following comes on the screen:
1). E.E.A.E.
INSTALL
WWW.SLITHERINE.COM
FORUM
QUIT
2). H.E.-E.A.E. setup
Welcome etc...
continue
3). Series No:
continue
4). License agreement
Yes, I accept
5). Installation file
C:\program\etc...
continue
6). Startmenu
Shortcuts for user
continue
7). Ready to install
install course C:\program etc...
Startmenu: Slitherine\HISTORY-etc...
continue
8). Installing H.E.-E.A.E.
installing data (takes about only 15 seconds)
9). Installation complete
end

*+*+*+* 10). Then jumps back to:
INSTALL
WWW.SLITHERINE.COM
etc...

I go to SETUP.EXE. and get reply:
Setup is unable to find _setup.dll, which is needed to complete the installation.
(Error 103)

Here is my computer data:
Intel Core 2 (Duo) Processor E6300
1.86 GHz (2x)
2 MB L2 cache
1066 MHz FSB
320 GB
Ati 256 MB graphic card
16x DVD_ROM
1024 MB DDR-RAM

I am NOT a computer expert, but I am sure it has to do with the software/program and not my computer!

Please, write back to me as soon as possible, while I was looking forward to playing the game!!!!!

Thanx,
Deiotaros
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Has the install completed successfully? That is, there should be an icon on the desktop to run the game, and a Slitherine entry in the Programs list with and entry for the game inside. Do you see these?

Cheers

Pip
Deiotaros

Post by Deiotaros »

Hello Pip,

Yes, I did have the icon on my desktop and the entry in the programs list.
Thanx,
Deiotaros
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

What happens when you try to run from the desktop icon? You do not need the CD in the drive to play.
Deiotaros

Post by Deiotaros »

Hello,
Yes, I tried running the game from the desktop icon - still does not run!

I am sure it has to do with the software/program.
Deiotaros

Post by Deiotaros »

Hello,

There is an (Error 103) by SETUP.EXE

I hope we can find a solution before I go on vacation (May 30th), because I would like to be playing the game already!!!!!
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Setup.exe is the installer, not the game. Once the game is installed you no longer need the disk so don;t try running that again.

Cna you navigate to the folder the game is installed to and see what files are in the folder. If you could take a screenshot of that folder that would be helpful. Also let us know your PC's specs.
Deiotaros

Post by Deiotaros »

Hello,

I cannot take a screenshot of the folder. In the folder: Data, Autorun.exe., Autorun.ico, Autorun.inf,
heeae_v1.01.exe, Unicows.dll

My computer specs I placed in my first letter.

Thanx
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

There should be a lot more files than this.

It sounds like the game has failed to install properly. Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling to see if it helps.
Deiotaros

Post by Deiotaros »

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times and still have the same problem.
Deiotaros

Post by Deiotaros »

I also have the game - Chariots of War - and that game runs GREAT!!!!!

If you would happen know of any other game that involves the Hittites, I would like to know!

Thanx
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

These are the only ones we have with Hittites!

On the disk, what files do you see? Maybe there is an issue with the installer.
Deiotaros

Post by Deiotaros »

Hello,

I am trying to make this reply as pleasent as possible. I really enjoy the Chariots of War game, no glitches,
but this game was probably not properly made/burned on the CD! The best answer is to send me a new one, and I will be HAPPY to send the old one back so that you can check what was wrong with it! The game was not shrinkrapped when I received it, so it could have been checked before it was sent to see if it had any problems. I would like to be playing the game before I go on vacation (May 30th)!

Thanx,
Deiotaros
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

It is possible that there is an issue with the disk but its extremely rare. Thats why we try and work out what the problem is before replacing a disk as if the disk is not at fault it will not fix the issue. It will be much quicker if we can get you up and running with the current disk. Its not a cost issue - it would be much cheaper to fire and forget a replacement disk to you rather than provide real tech support, but we want to actually fix the issue rather than appear to be doing something :)
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

The simplest way to test the disk is to try and copy all the files from it to another folder on your machine's hard disk. You can then attempt to run the setup or autorun EXEs from there.

Cheers

Pip
Deiotaros

Post by Deiotaros »

I tried today loading the game on my neighbors computer, can up with the same problem - the game simply does not start up :cry: In reply to the copying onto the harddisc, I am not a computer expert and do not know how to go by doing that! You would have to write me STEP BY STEP on that procedure. I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather talk to someone on the PHONE because I can get answers RIGHT AWAY without have to wait for a reply/letter. If you know of someone I can call, please give me the number and I would GLADLY call them!!!!!

Thanx, Deiotaros
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Unfortunately we dont have teh ability to do phone tech support.

To copy the installer to your PC is actually straighforwards so you shoudl be ok:
* Create a folder on your desktop.
* Navigate to your CD drive. Copy everything from the CD drive to the folder on your desktop. If you are unsure how to do this just select all the files with the mouse and drag them to the folder.
* If the disk is ok all the files will copy across to the desktop.
* As I'm not sure what type of disk you have I dont know what the file layout is. There should be a .exe file in the folder. Run this by double clicking it.
* This will launch the installer, but this time runnign on your hard disk not the CD.

Just to be clear are you using a backup CD from Plimus or a boxed copy of the game with a manual?
Deiotaros

Post by Deiotaros »

I have had this game now for 1 week and am still no further than I was on day 1! I have no idea how to make a new folder, bring/drag the items over to it and then clicking it to run on the hard disk. The game I bought is a PC CD-ROM with a manual .

I AM giving up on this because it is getting on my nerves :x
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

I understand it can be frustrating not to know why something isn't working, but we should be able to get you going, you just need to bear with us.

If you go into the installation folder and run the LAUNCHER.EXE file, what happens then. Exactly what error do you see?

Cheers

Pip
Deiotaros

Post by Deiotaros »

There is NO Launcher Exe. File!

Return to “Egypt - Engineering an Empire : Tech Support”