Sniper Ridge - AAR

Team Assault is a 3D turn based tactical game where players fight in close combat action at a squad level.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Team Assault Design, Zeal

Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Sniper Ridge - AAR

Post by Xerkis »

This skirmish will be an Area Control game type for 50 points with a starting Force Size of 2000 on difficulty of expert.
I will be using my favorite built force – 4th Army –
And the enemy will be using a new force that I’ve made for the AI – Axis Army 4.
Yeah, I'm not too creative on the naming of the forces. :P
This is more or less a test to see how well the AI is with this new force.

I will be starting off with a Rook “grunt” squad to take the right flank CP. A faster tactical Knight squad to make a quick dash and grab for the center CP; hopefully they will be able to hold it until reinforcements can arrive. And a sniper team will follow to support the tactical squad in the center.

Round 1
Saw nothing but the beginning of getting my squads in to positions. With the ridge running down the center of the field of battle, it might be a round or two until we see any “action”. Its rise is natural block of LoS.

Round 2
Not enough Combat Resources to purchase what I wanted, so we will continue on with only 3 squads on the field. I know from the Combat Log that the enemy already has 5 squads in action.

Finally, first visual contact with the enemy just as my 1st Rook squad got to the top of the ridge on our right flank. . . . . But both squads are “exhausted” from the run up the hill.

I have positioned my sniper team to a good defensive spot behind a stonewall. If any enemy squads peek their heads over the top of the ridge, they will be sure to not hang on to them for long.

Round 3
I purchased a HMG squad. Need some good firepower to start making its way up the ridge and this squad is a bit slow moving with the weight of the guns and ammo they carry. I’m sure I will need them sooner than later, so they best get a move on.

The tactical squad at the yet to be taken center CP, has gone under fire from the far left flank. The enemy has the high ground and the CP there. We decide to Save Action in hopes to not just be able to return fire, but to take this CP as well.

The right flank has received sniper fire and even though the return action is a 60%, we go with the Save Action instead. We are greedier then just going for one sniper – there are other targets of opportunity in the area.

Watch the film to see the results of this decision.

The center CP was taken before we could get the chance, but look at the targets to choice from now. . . . . Or is it that we are about to be overrun? Plus the best cover here is a shell crater – not much, but it will have to do for the time being.

Round 5
I’m getting a second Knight (tactical) squad. I need their speed to get to the top of the ridge in a hurry.

The enemy has 2 CPs captured to our 1 and we are down 30 to 50 points. . . . . . Not going too well. Plus the right flank is receiving a lot of pressure; and we are hardly in position yet.

But we are doing damage on the left. . . . .

The sniper squad in action on left flank

Round 6
Not enough CR to get any squads this turn. But I was able to take the center CP from the enemy – swinging the count to our favor.

The right is beginning to take a lot of heavy fire from all areas of the battlefield. Including the hilltop on the other side of the ridge. The enemy has a terrific vantage point from there, and is laying in the fire upon us.

Just over the rise, an enemy soldier took out one of my snipers. I have an 84% chance on the Return Fire. “Should” be an easy kill.

Sniper return fire

Wounded soldier saved from my squad within the sandbags – the 1st Rook. But the right flank now has 2 squads, each with a man down. And the HMG squad (1st Bishop) is out of ammo since it was the soldier with the Munitions Pack that was taken out of action. The situation is getting worst on the right. The only thing going for them is the protection of the heavy sandbags and the distance from the enemy’s stronghold.

. . . . . . And the center has collapsed, now that an entire squad has been wiped out by the enemy’s 1st Defender squad. In addition, they seem to be moving in fast and non-stop. Not looking good.

Round 7
Getting another Rook squad this round. I need their strength at the front.

Still taking fire on my sniper squad. Let’s try this again.

Sniper return fire with better results

View from the weakened right flank. The enemy is massing at the burnt out barn. And another man down in my HMG squad. The lone-gunman will be making a mad dash for the nearest ammo resupply point. He is doing no good sitting here with only his pistol.
The situation is not improving on the right at all.

Round 8
Taking a “tactical” Knight squad this turn. Need reinforcements at the front – and I need them now!

Enemy popping smoke to cover their approach. Looks like they are beginning to make a “big push” up their side of the ridge. But we have fresh troops of our own coming up our side too. . . . . . unfortunately, not quite as many though.

Intense action just off from the center CP.

Multiple exchange of fire

After a good standoff, all but one the valiant squad is wiped out next round – and the one runs away in a panic. They will be revenged.

No one on the right flank has anything but pistols to hold it. They have seen a lot of action on that side. We need just a little more time to hold this line!

But it matters not – for we have held our ground. . . . . . . But at a very costly price.

Final formation of squads.

My conclusions of the “testing” part of this new force I made for the AI.
The squads are a bit overpriced and therefore it was hard for the AI to keep up with the number of fresh troops needed on the field – even on expert mode. Back to the Force Builder and see about trimming some of the CR off of each squad. But it was close there. . . . . . . . very close.
Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Sniper Ridge - AAR

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks for the effort on this. Feel free to post your customized squads as you see fit. Like many people, have been struggling to find the time to play this game seriously.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

Rosseau wrote:Thanks for the effort on this. Feel free to post your customized squads as you see fit. Like many people, have been struggling to find the time to play this game seriously.
There’s always time for the things we enjoy
:D

I might post the AI squad - once I adjust it a bit and do more testing with it.
:wink:
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

If you have one, it's been tested, and you don't mind Xerkis, I'd love an Allied AI since I primarily play Die Deutschen.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

IronFist wrote:If you have one, it's been tested, and you don't mind Xerkis, I'd love an Allied AI since I primarily play Die Deutschen.
I think I did promise to make one. . . . . Didn’t I?
I always play as the Allies myself.

I will have to make one up.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Xerkis,

I have your UK_infantry file from long ago. Maybe IronFist would want that?
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

Rosseau wrote:Xerkis,

I have your UK_infantry file from long ago. Maybe IronFist would want that?
I don’t recall what file that might be – but I don’t have any purposely made Allied AI force . . . . . . yet. Although I was working on one last night.
Laxen
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Laxen »

Thanks! Good AAR - Amazing map! Looks like a lot of fun. I'm sorry I haven't tried it out yet :D
Rasmus Davidsson
Lead Designer at ZEAL Game Studio
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

Laxen wrote:Thanks! Good AAR - Amazing map! Looks like a lot of fun. I'm sorry I haven't tried it out yet :D
MP would be good some time on it.

But I still want to do a bit of "tweaking" on it yet
:P

Return to “Team Assault”