Fog of war?

Team Assault is a 3D turn based tactical game where players fight in close combat action at a squad level.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Team Assault Design, Zeal

rich12545
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Fog of war?

Post by rich12545 »

Of course I'm just learning the game so this will be a very newbie question.

I assume the game has fow? But just getting into the game to see how the mechanics work I could see the enemy's blue dots and the enemy itself even though they're clear across the map. So how does this all work?
Lillarpy
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Fog of war?

Post by Lillarpy »

rich12545 wrote:Of course I'm just learning the game so this will be a very newbie question.

I assume the game has fow? But just getting into the game to see how the mechanics work I could see the enemy's blue dots and the enemy itself even though they're clear across the map. So how does this all work?
All soldiers in Team Assault have unlimited with sight. So as long as there are no obstacles your enemies can stand behind you can see them! :)
Laxen
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Laxen »

Yup, as Lillarpy said. We do not have FoW in the form as in many other games (a circle around your units, and that's how far they can see). Instead we only veil areas that are directly obstructed in fog of war - if you can draw line of sight to an area from any of your soldiers, you'll be able to see that area.
Rasmus Davidsson
Lead Designer at ZEAL Game Studio
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

This is pretty simplified gameplay but if the human and AI use the same rules it's ok. What it doesn't consider, though, is sneaking. Soldiers crawling through the grass type of thing. That might be difficult to implement because then you'd have to program the AI to use it at the proper times.
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

Rich, the uniforms with camouflage are how you do sneaking in Team Assault. If you look in the Stealth thread, Xerkis does a good job along with Laxen, of explaining it in detail. The short of it is that squads with the right uniform gain stealth and they can't be seen as long as they don't run, fire, or get within a minimum distance to the enemy. They otherwise remain invisible. That's why all of a sudden a squad can materialize right by one of yours.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

You would have to have at least one more position in the walk/run toggle – “sneak”. And perhaps add a stealth type attribute to it.
With some effort you could get it to work for human players, but you’re right – the hard part is always trying to get an AI to know how and when to use it and not to use it.

EDIT: And very true IronFist - this would give that type of "eadge" withour having the outfit for it...... have to think on it
:wink:
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

I didn't see that stealth thread but will have a look. I read through the beta manual a couple of times and didn't see anything about it. This is one reason I've been asking for the finished manual.

But if there's already something in the game it might not be so difficult to implement. Change the gui a bit for three buttons instead of a toggle. Move Sprint Stealth. Stealth would give maybe half the move distance and maybe an 80% chance of not being spotted. Have something in the unit icon (the one on the map H key) that shows what movement mode the squad is in. I think this would be a good improvement without adding a lot of complexity.

Btw, is there some way to remap hot keys?
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

rich12545 wrote:Btw, is there some way to remap hot keys?
Yes, I’ve never tried it though. . . So make a back up of the file..... just in case
:wink:

In the file . . . . \Slitherine\Team Assault\Game\Files\default.cfg
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

I had an older beta manual 1.0 and just got 1.2 so I was able to read some about the stealth. Makes some of my comments obsolete. In any case I would be in favor of eliminating stealth for outfit and adding it for everyone, maybe better for some like recon. It's not a huge deal but would improve the game imo.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

Not sure I would eliminate stealth on certain outfits. Really like the hidden sniper waiting for an unsuspecting target.
;)

But I would like it if you could “crawl” or “sneak” with any of your units and this would add a type of stealth or if not stealth, at least a bonus on not being able to be hit by enemy fire.
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

Right. That's what I meant. Good catch.

Return to “Team Assault”