Stealth Question

Team Assault is a 3D turn based tactical game where players fight in close combat action at a squad level.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Team Assault Design, Zeal

IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Stealth Question

Post by IronFist00 »

In trying to understand better how stealth works in TA, what exactly breaks it? Based on what the updated manual reads, if it has "Clear Eye of Sauron" (what I call it), "Soldier is Stealthed." Does that mean as long as I see the "Clear Eye of Sauron," the squad can't be seen by the enemy? If I walk it seems to remain so does that mean walking doesn't break stealth? Running seems to break it as does firing. I'm assuming at some minimum distance, the enemy will see my squad regardless?

I'm curious with how stealth works (in detail) so I not only can use it better but for an argument to buy say the Jäger Recon squad over the Elite Jägers during a game (besides the cost). I'm sure all the different squads have their role and Stealth is one of the last once I'm figuring out. Thanks.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Stealth Question

Post by Xerkis »

Sounds like you understand it.

Walking keeps you in stealth. Running or firing will break stealth.
Enemy outside the range of the outfits stealth range will not be able to see you while in stealth mode. This can be countered by the Discipline of “Recon” – where stealth will still work, but just not as well.

There are 4 outfits that have stealth capabilities to them (2 for each side). The Axis side Fallschirmjäger has a stealth range of 40M (and also has Para-drop) , Platanenmuster 25M. The Allied side Denison Smock 50M (Para-drop), Frog Skin 25M.

Hope that helps
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

Thanks for the response Xerkis, glad to know I was on the right track. As a follow-up question, I remember seeing a post somewhere (or thought I saw it) describing what each of the Disciplines were and what they effect was. If I am correct, you probably know where it is since you're so active. :) Can you post the link? If not, any chance that information is somewhere you have access to and you can post it in a thread? I know the Disciplines sporadically from the manual and some posted here and there but I'd like to know what they all mean. For example War Veterans, Assault Squad, Battle Hardened, etc. Thanks.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

You know – that is one I don’t think I have a chart on.

If you didn’t see the thread (“Index Of Team Assault Charts”), there are a list of charts that have all the different “stats” of the game laid out for you.
But the Disciplines isn’t one of them. I will have to work on that.

You can go in to the Force Builder and read the description of each of them. But it would be nice to have the exact data on what each of them does.
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

Agreed. It's good to know it doesn't exist because I was starting to doubt my searching skills. ;-) I do have all the Team Assault Charts and the Manual v1.2 downloaded. I have a dual monitor set-up so when I play Team Assault, I have the Weapon Chart open along with the Manual, turned to page 75 (used to be 76 until I learned the Hotkeys). Being able to instantly look up Soldiers' Status Icons is invaluable to learning the nuances of the game (at least for me). That's why I finally got around to Stealth, because v1.2 of the Manual finally included them. :)

Honestly, I haven't spent a lot of time with the Force Builder yet. There are two main reasons for that. First, I'm one of those personality types that like to learn something completely before trying to do something with it. I find I enjoy whatever it is more if I understand the subject in detail. For example, when I got my new audio received, I read the manual cover to cover before hooking it up and programming it. I'm doing the same with Team Assault. Second, I find it a challenge to win with, and master, the Squads you've included in the game, i.e. excelling with the hand you're dealt as opposed to creating my own Über squad that has little to know weakness. So that being said, hopefully you guys/gals are planning on including more "official" squads in the game, through patches?

I look forward to seeing a compilation of the Disciplines when you finish it.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

All that you have said is music to my ears.
:D

And you are correct – it is a bit tough to figure what type of force to build until you know more about what all the weapons do under certain situations, and what the outfits do, does a big squad work best to your style of play or a smaller squad, etc, etc, etc.
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

And just for the record, I'm glad you included the Fallschirmjägergewehr 42 (FG42) in the game. It's my favorite infantry weapon of WW2, used by the troops I respect the most, the Fallschirmjägers. I agree with the other poster who said the Maschinengewehr 34 (MG34) should have been in the game too, along with the MG42. But given a choice, I would have wanted the FG42 included, really a fantastic weapon.

Among the included Forces in the game, my current favorites are:
1. Fallschirm-Panzer Division 1 Hermann Göering

2. 5. Gebirgs-Division

3. 65. Infanterie-Division

My favorite Allied Force is the US 3rd Marne Division.

Needless to say, I'm hoping for the inclusion of more Wehrmacht themed Forces.
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

I had some time during lunch so I did a quick and dirty compilation of the Disciplines in Word. I pasted them below and also attached the Word document.

Conscript Squad (-15 CR): The squad consists of soldiers fresh from the assembly line. These soldiers have less training and are therefore cheaper to field. However, they have lowered combat effectiveness in the form of lowered initiative by 1, reduced accuracy, they suffer more damage to their morale from enemy fire and take an even larger blow to their morale when their squad leader is taken out of action. Conscripts cannot have any other disciplines.

Drilled Marksman (10 CR): The squad has had some improved weapons training on the shooting range. This gives the squad increased accuracy with any weapon they use.

War Veterans (15 CR): The squad's members are all experienced soldiers and they have been in combat several times before. They have seen soldiers, some, probably their friends, be killed by enemy fire. The squad does not suffer any damage to their morale when soldiers in their squad are killed or wounded. Their morale is only damaged if they abandon wounded comrades. The squad has also learned how to communicate better in combat, adding +1 to the squad's initiative.

Recon Unit (10 CR): The squad is trained for front line reconnaissance. When the squad sprints, enemy squads firing on it suffer additional negative modifiers to their accuracy. Also, the squad detects stealth enemy squads at greater distances and is better at spotting enemy devices, such as mines and demolition charges.

Assault Squad (5 CR): The squad is trained to strike the enemy fast and effectively. They regain morale from eliminating enemy squads and recover more morale than other squads when capturing a control point.

Physical Endurance (5 CR): Hard physical training has made the squad capable of carrying more than most others. They can be twice as encumbered as other squads before their movement is reduced. In addition, the squad loses less stamina when they sprint than other squads.

Battle-Hardened (10 CR): The squad has been under heavy enemy fire and has learned, either by training or experience, how to use their surroundings to their advantage. If the squad is in cover, it is even harder to hit than normal, and if hit, the soldiers have a slightly increased chance of being wounded instead of killed.
Attachments
Team Assault Disciplines.zip
Team Assault Disciplines
(11.79 KiB) Downloaded 410 times
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

Awesome!
Now all we need to do is get the numbers behind the text. Like how much does more equal when it says “more”. Things like that.
;)
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

Agreed; that is the stuff I'm really looking forward to but with this, at least I have an idea now.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

Yep.... this is the start. . . . . . and a nice one at that
Thanks
Laxen
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Laxen »

Oh, detailed game mechanics questions! :D

A summary of how stealth works: Some Outfits provide stealth. If they do, they have a stealth value in its statistics (symbolized by an eye) - this is the outfits detection range (lower is better). Detection range is the number of meters the enemy has to be within to see the squad with stealth. If a squad with stealth moves (normally), its detection range is doubled for a full turn (until the squad activates again). If the squad sprints or attacks, the stealth is broken (has not effect at all) for a full turn.

And yes. We intended to add more forces, especially after we added Brits and Italian gear to the game (which is available in the Force Builder). We might add more forces (either done by us, or maybe we'll arrange some kind of build-a-force contest) but we also want to encourage players to start creating their own forces - the Force Builder is a major feature to the game :)

And nice to hear that you also like the FG42's!
Rasmus Davidsson
Lead Designer at ZEAL Game Studio

Return to “Team Assault”