The Manual!

Team Assault is a 3D turn based tactical game where players fight in close combat action at a squad level.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Team Assault Design, Zeal

nomet
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

The Manual!

Post by nomet »

Here is a draft of the manual. New version is out! Please have a loook : )
Attachments
Team Assault User Manual v1.2.pdf.7z
(2.98 MiB) Downloaded 554 times
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: The Manual!

Post by VPaulus »

I haven't read it, but like I've said in the other forum, at least it looks quite nice and easy readable. :)
Ryben
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Ryben »

I really miss an explanation for all those icons that appear above each soldier when the "H" hot key is displayed. There´s a star, an aimcross, a double arrow, a shield, an eye and all in different colours. VERY confusing for a new player.

I´ve realised that the "eye" icon means that the soldier is somewhat sthealty (and that´s why he appears to be semi-transparent). I think, i´m not sure 100%. The "star" means a leader...the aimcross...no idea.

Please, include a summary of icons in the manual...this will save a lot of questions later in the forum :)
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

I am not at all good at editing – so I am not checking this for any grammar or that kind of thing (although I did notice a few sentences that seemed like they could use a little reworking).
I’m going through this from the standpoint of content. What does it have, what doesn’t it have, what is incorrect, etc.
. . . . But then, I guess I won't know what it doesn't have until I finished reading it all.
:wink:

Here is what I have from the first 25 pages. Looking good so far.

Page 7: Old screen print: missing all game types and starting force (no reinforcements) and difficulty level. Plus, this one is showing the “campaign” option.

Page 8: Force Size should mention the no reinforcements. Other game types are missing – if not gone in to detail here, they should at least be briefly mentioned.

Page 9: Old screen print again. And the Lan and Internet buttons are now on the top left and not on the bottom right.

Page 12: Reinforcement screen doesn’t show up in-between every round any more (as stated). Only if you are able to purchase a squad and if reinforcements are part of the game options you are playing.

Page 15: Munitions: it states that if you are out of ammo that you can no longer attack – that isn’t quite true. You just can’t attack with that weapon, you go back to using your sidearm.

Page 21: And you can also jump using the American Denison Smock as well.
boerkameel
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by boerkameel »

Woohoo, the manual!! Good work guys!
Seems clearly written in a technically sound and to-the-point English.

*edit* dammit Xerkis beat me to it :) Good forum, in that it display appeared posts since you started typing! I'm deleting my screen print remarks.

I've given it a quick go-through:

General:
Include page numbers (makes referring to a page someone printed out easier)
Screenshots are strange in size (background larger then useful window) and seem to show a different UI then mine (see below)

Per page:
p5: Include something for the history nuts, like "in some places we sacrificed (historic) accuracy for gameplay. Eg: ranks, calibers."

p8:
start location: mention there are only 2? And these are the same for skirmish and MP?
Force: The forces available initially are those included in the game (swap words initially & are)
Game type: deathmatch & blitzkrieg?

p9: UI, see Xerkis

p14: cool, there is an ammo bar! did not know that.

p15,
3: wounded but successfully treated solders have a grey circle without icon (evacuated)
6: stealth also breaks when running
8: soldiers switch to their pistol sidearm when out of ammo for their main gun (xerkis)

p16: when a specific soldier is ...
p17: each time a weapon exceeds half the accuracy range = -1 acc -> is this right?
p19 3: or to UNDO a squad deployment -> When I press undo, my entire force deployment is undone.

I will continue from p24 when I've got more time.

*sidenote* Ahh didn't see the p21 denison, good catch!
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

Pages 26 through 50:

Page 26: “Read about activating squads here.” – is this supposed to be a link? Because it isn’t.

Page 28: Screen print would be nicer if the tooltip wasn’t blocking part of what you are trying to show us.

Page 29: “Click here to read more about Hit Mods” link is not connected.

Page 33: Grenade rage is incorrect. Mine sub-actions should be switch to keep them in the same order of appearance, as are the other sub-actions.

Page 34: Counter orders do require confirmation.

Page 45: Morale formula: I'm sure that the formula is 50 + 10 * initiative. Or at least that was what I had been told.

Page 49: “Panic Fire”? Do we still have this?
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

Last of the pages:

Page 51: just a double check on all the stats – a few might have changed. “Close Scope” isn’t listed.

Page 53&54&59: before this point you have been using the yellow boxes in the text to match up with the yellow boxes in the screen print. Here they are just text numbers in brackets in the text. Should be the yellow boxes.

Page 59: Last paragraph is no longer entirely true with the additional game modes.

Missing the other game modes - should be added

Page 64: Heading is “6 Squad Customization” but you are going through the “5 Squad Section & Info” part.

Page 65: the first screen print should be of the entire section 6 (it only has part of it) and this part should have the heading that was above.

Page 66: Heading should have the yellow box 7 before it

This has been mentioned elsewhere by others, but I thought I would throw it on my list as well. All the icons that can show up above the soldiers (in different colors) should be explained.
nomet

Post by nomet »

Thanks! : ) we will look into it!
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

My suggestions:

1. I read the Draft Manual and still didn't see an entry for the Resupply Dump and how it is used. In the same vein, I'd suggest an explanation of what all the icons do when "H" is enabled. I'm still learning those myself.

2. No mention about cover being directional (the cover must be between you and where the enemy fire is coming from). For those not used to that concept, maybe a mention?
boerkameel
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by boerkameel »

Finally got to the last part:

p28: "you never need to choose which way to activate, as this is initiated automatically based on ho you selected order" - I find this sentence confusing
p33: Auto fire, grenades: mention it's only usable when the weapon has this option or the squad carries not-used grenades.
p37 (screenshot): An arrow is drawn from the source -> if within the squad's LOS. If the enemy tosses a grenade over a wall, you can't return fire.
p41, walk/sprint toggle: Click this button or press Shift to toggle (confusing sentence)
p45: While deployed, your squads will... and be placed under great pressure. (or delete under)
p47: mention how conscript squad affects morale?
p48: I've never seen panic fire.
p59: To determine whether a soldier will end up in the capture range, place it's placement ghost where you want him to end up. WIth H turned on, a capture flag will appear when he's in range (not always clear on the edges of capture zone, if you want optimal placement in cover)
p69: .tat files are saved in Documents\My Games\Team Assault\teams (or C:\Users\[user]\Documents\My Games\Team Assault\Teams, to be precise).
p70: H is now "show icons", not hide (or show "additional squad info"). Bit vague description for a very useful command. I would turn these icons on by default anyway, as many don't know it's existence at first.
I also find the lines somewhat confusing.

Addition

I would like to see a separate section on "cover". With screenshots depicting the different icons shown for lv1 - lv3 cover. I've seen some opponents end their solders movement next to a car that doesnt offer cover (eg: Car close to Red drop zone in Altavilla - maybe map error?). Also with a hint that if they move the placement ghost close to cover, before confirming the move, the shield icon will tell them if they end up in cover.
Also with IronFist's directional comment.

Resupply dump, as mentioned by IronFist. Also with placement ghost.
nomet

Post by nomet »

New version is out! Please have a loook : )
Echo
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Echo »

First of all, on behalf of Zeal Game Studio I would like to thank all those in the 'The Manual' thread for your keen and valuable contributions with regards to amending and updating this document. After this latest version, any further amendments or additional info will be released with future patches and updates. The following amendments and updates have been made:

Added: Page Numbers!
Added: Intro - Reference to any minor historical ambiguities versus practical/efficient gameplay
Added: Squad Information - various minor additional info regarding stealth and sidearms
Added: New category - 'Squad Icons and Status Displays'
Added: New Category - 'Ammo and Munitions Supply Points'
Added: Skirmish Setup Info - added 'Difficulty Level' details
Added: 'No Reinforcements' info under 'Buying Squads and Squads Information'
Added: 'Blitzkrieg' and 'Deathmatch' details added to 'Game Modes and Victory'
Added: 'British Denison Smock' added to available jump-suits

Edited: Deploying Squads - 'UNDO' resets entire force (not only squad deployment)
Edited: Counter-Orders DO require confirmation (changed since beta version)
Edited: Morale Formula - is now correct
Edited: Some screen-text reference numbers (eg '[1]' in text-line) replaced with graphic icons
Edited: 'Squad Customisation' - partial screenshot replaced to include complete Outfit Panel
Edited: 3 missing hint-links established

Updated: Removed 'Panic Fire' details which is now no longer available
Updated: Screenshot, Game Setup
Updated: Screenshot, Multiplayer Lobby

Other: Minor typos, grammatical and sundry corrections

Have fun :p
Xris (Document Editing)

Return to “Team Assault”