Team Assault Wish List

Team Assault is a 3D turn based tactical game where players fight in close combat action at a squad level.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Team Assault Design, Zeal

Laxen
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Laxen »

For what I know, having gear stats etc programmed directly into the game code makes it much harder to mod because then the moder have to break open the game code it self, which is much harder then editing script files. Unfortunately.
Rasmus Davidsson
Lead Designer at ZEAL Game Studio
MajVonRyan
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by MajVonRyan »

Laxen wrote:For what I know, having gear stats etc programmed directly into the game code makes it much harder to mod because then the moder have to break open the game code it self, which is much harder then editing script files. Unfortunately.

Don't take this the wrong way :) but it sounds a bit like built-in obsolescence, and would reduce the likelihood of gamers producing their own mods / add-on’s for the game. However, having said that, Zeal’s programmers’ appear to have developed a wonderful game by what I have seen so far, ‘great work’.

Once the game is on the market, and there is some cash in the bank, Zeal may be able to make a programming tweak or two (script file mod), which may make the game more flexibility for future releases by Zeal and also enable gamers to help in the development of mods such as weapons lists, uniforms, gear etc :wink:
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

VonRyan wrote:
Laxen wrote:For what I know, having gear stats etc programmed directly into the game code makes it much harder to mod because then the moder have to break open the game code it self, which is much harder then editing script files. Unfortunately.

Don't take this the wrong way :) but it sounds a bit like built-in obsolescence, and would reduce the likelihood of gamers producing their own mods / add-on’s for the game. However, having said that, Zeal’s programmers’ appear to have developed a wonderful game by what I have seen so far, ‘great work’.

Once the game is on the market, and there is some cash in the bank, Zeal may be able to make a programming tweak or two (script file mod), which may make the game more flexibility for future releases by Zeal and also enable gamers to help in the development of mods such as weapons lists, uniforms, gear etc :wink:
Absolutely.

And besides all that – programming rule #1: never hard code a variable or list of any kind, always have it in an external file. Unless you don’t want players to be doing modding on your game – And I would definitely rethink that position.
:wink:
Laxen

Post by Laxen »

One if the many lessons learned along our path of game development.

We promise to be better on this in the future :)
Rasmus Davidsson
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

You should have asked me first and you could have avoided this one.
:lol:

Stripping out the lists and making them in to external files is not all that hard of a task. Once you get the file set up, it’s not much more than a rhythmic copy/paste.
:D

But I wouldn’t suggest doing it right now........... I want the next Beta and/or full release.
Laxen

Post by Laxen »

That's where our priorities lie as well ;)
Rasmus Davidsson
Gothmox
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Destructible Environment and use of buildings/vehicles

Post by Gothmox »

haven't had time to read the complete forum, so some of this might be double:

- Destructible environment, a simple implementation (no ruins but rubble, burst sandbags, scorched terrain)
- entering buildings would be great, vehicles if mapsize accomodates for it.
- item dropping, the winner takes it all and of course a player account to store the additional credits for next round
- Some background stash for your "force", allowing you to use a certain amount of found enemy or prototype guns
- Maybe force-stash could go as far as ammo handling, or even vehicles

my two cents

Gothmox
Ryben
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Team Assault Wish List

Post by Ryben »

Areas of cover: instead of having only directional cover i would like to see larger areas that offer you some degree of cover while your squad is moving inside of it. For example, a area of low brush or light forests.

Weapon jams: To make things less predictable and add tension to the game weapons could have a % chance of jamming when firing, specially if using automatic fire. You will need a new action to allow the soldier to clear the jam.

Artillery observers: Instead of using mortars on table, which have their complications because of minimum range and parabolic trajectories (what would happen if you fire a mortar right behind a church?), a simpler way would be adding a new soldier class: the artillery observer, which could call indirect fire (from outside the area of the battle).

This indirect fire will work like grenades (including smoke) but with a larger area of effect. To avoid making them too powerful you could either make them not too accurate (with a great chance of falling several meters of the target point) or having to call them in advance, arriving on the required spot a turn later.

Artillery could be fearsome so, apart from the damage, they could inflict morale damage in a certain radius. Of course, artillery observers should be very expensive and have limited ammo.

Close combat: i´ve seen squads firing automatic fire at very close range and failing all their attacks. It would be nice having an option to engage in melee as a final resort (it should be deadly). Implementing this would means you absolutely need a "reactive fire" feature (which game needs, anyway :D )
Laxen

Post by Laxen »

Thank you. The more we know about what you want to have, the more likely is it to be implemented in the future :D
Rasmus Davidsson
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

@ Ryben
I would like to see all of those as well. In my opinion, they would all be a marvelous addition to the game.
:)
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

Personally, I would prefer Mortar squads in-game (for me, my most desired addition to the game). However if that isn't feasible, I would enjoy Ryben's suggestion of off-map artillery. Either option is better than none. I feel if Mortars are added, it would complete the circle of small unit combat, going with squads, MGs, and Snipers.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

IronFist wrote:Personally, I would prefer Mortar squads in-game (for me, my most desired addition to the game). However if that isn't feasible, I would enjoy Ryben's suggestion of off-map artillery. Either option is better than none. I feel if Mortars are added, it would complete the circle of small unit combat, going with squads, MGs, and Snipers.
Mortars would be a good addition as well. And I would think it would be able to be added somewhat easily. Kind of like just a grenade with more range and have it take up the weapon spot.
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

1. Change building structure to allow the inside of buildings to be used.

2. Allow for squads of one soldier.

3. Allow force builder screen to be maximized with larger fonts.

4. More than five squads per force.

5. Be able to get rid of those damn opening videos.

Thank you.
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

rich12545 wrote:2. Allow for squads of one soldier.
Very curious in what you have in mind with a squad with just one soldier.
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

Years and years ago I played a game called Computer Ambush by SSI. Individual soldiers in an urban setting. The soldiers all have names and personalities. I've been looking for something like it ever since in a skirmish setting, even found a place to download the original manual. The War Machine at MG comes close to replicating it but I'm not real crazy about the game itself even if it is free. I think TA would be great for that.

Btw, I checked and making an avi file is beyond my ability so I included that here. Sorry but that really gets me and there's no reason not to allow to be able to get rid of them. It would be very easy for the devs to do, something in the cfg file or even provide a half second empty black background avi file.
Laxen

Post by Laxen »

Xerkis: Yes, Mortars and Artillery spotting is probably at the top of my personal wish list. I would probably want the mortars (and artillery) to have a 1 round delay though, unlike the grenades, making them less effective against advancing enemies (unless you read their move very well) but make a good threat against dug in and hiding enemies - such as snipers - that don't like to move around too much. This makes it somewhat more complex to implement though :)

rich: Thanks for the suggestions. We'll keep that in mind :) 1 soldier squads would be a completely different game though - not that it would be any less interesting to try out! Would be very interesting to try that for a unique game mode, where only 1-soldier squads are available. Would remind a lot of Jagged Allience and X-COM etc.
Rasmus Davidsson
IronFist00
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by IronFist00 »

Mortar one turn firing delay would be great. Instant firing would be unrealistic.
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

Next to the save button, put a save all button. A move all button would be good too.
Laxen

Post by Laxen »

"Save" as in "first aid"? :)
Rasmus Davidsson
Xerkis
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Xerkis »

I think he means a “save all action” button.

If it’s all the clicking that’s getting to you – and I can see that it might – use the hotkeys.
I use nothing but hotkeys and it makes the game go a lot faster and smoother once you have them memorized. I only use the mouse for soldier movement – all actions I do through the hotkeys. They are nicely set up that you only need the left side of the keyboard.
:)

Return to “Team Assault”