Dynamic fuel consumption?

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Dynamic fuel consumption?

Post by Cybvep »

Currently units consume the same amount of fuel no matter whether they move 5 hexes or 1 hex. This seems strange to me. Is it possible to change it or is it sth that is hardcoded? It would certainly be more realistic and would give the Axis player greater control over the rate of fuel consumption.

The formula could look like this:

Movement This Turn / ( Maximum Movement Rate / 2 ) * Fuel Consumption

So if ARM with 4 oil consumption moves 3 hexes in clear terrain during summer, the final cost will be 3/(6/2)*4=4. If it moves 6 hexes, the final cost will be 8. If it moves 5 hexes, the final cost will be 6,67 (6? 7? 6,5? I don't know how the engine handles decimal numbers). If it moves 1 hex, the final cost will be 1,33.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Dynamic fuel consumption?

Post by Morris »

it sounds reasonable . But since only Axis suffer fuel probelm , we 'd better give Axis more fuel to avoid of giving Axis more burden !
Cybvep

Post by Cybvep »

I think that on average there wouldn't be that much difference in a typical game. Note that ATM you consume the full amount of fuel even if you move just one hex forward. Of course, the formula can always be adjusted to be less severe if necessary.

BTW Morris, do you run out of oil as the Axis in your games or get close to running out? Oil is always of secondary importance in my games, but I'm not as aggressive as you are. TBH I think that it would be nice if there were more incentives to go for oil in the Caucasus or in the Middle East.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Cybvep wrote:I think that on average there wouldn't be that much difference in a typical game. Note that ATM you consume the full amount of fuel even if you move just one hex forward. Of course, the formula can always be adjusted to be less severe if necessary.

BTW Morris, do you run out of oil as the Axis in your games or get close to running out? Oil is always of secondary importance in my games, but I'm not as aggressive as you are. TBH I think that it would be nice if there were more incentives to go for oil in the Caucasus or in the Middle East.
yes , it is usually not a problem of fuel by playing Axis in GS 2.1 . But even though the Axis does also be difficult to achive even a minor victory .
joerock22
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by joerock22 »

I don't know about you guys, but I seldom move just 1 or 2 hexes with an armour unit. This would take a lot of research to figure out how to change Axis starting oil to not mess with game balance. And you would also have to factor in the weather, since it should take a tank full oil to move 2 hexes in the mud, etc.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

joerock22 wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I seldom move just 1 or 2 hexes with an armour unit. This would take a lot of research to figure out how to change Axis starting oil to not mess with game balance. And you would also have to factor in the weather, since it should take a tank full oil to move 2 hexes in the mud, etc.
Totally agree ! Also tank will cost more oil in desert ! :)
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

Again we come back to: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Stauffenberg wrote:Again we come back to: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Yes sir!

Return to “Commander Europe at War : GS Open Beta”