Air units in land combat

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Air units in land combat

Post by Cybvep »

I've seen some air units surviving 2 attacks (or even 3 in the early game), which makes it possible to use them in some gamey blocking manoeuvres. Since we are not supposed to put air units on the frontline, anyway, how about making them much more vulnerable to land attacks? If you allow your air units to be targeted by land units, you are doing sth wrong, so this shouldn't be a problem in 99% of cases, but it should make gamey moves less appealing.
Samhain
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Air units in land combat

Post by Samhain »

Considering that air units are way more expensive than ground units and far less useful at land combat I don't think it's a problem. There's nothing on the map worth blocking with the high price of repairing air units as well.
In spite of the Final Fantasy character it's pronounced sao-win after the Irish pagan god of death. I'm not a pagan but we're on a wargames website so I thought it fitting.
Kragdob
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: Air units in land combat

Post by Kragdob »

Samhain wrote:Considering that air units are way more expensive than ground units and far less useful at land combat I don't think it's a problem. There's nothing on the map worth blocking with the high price of repairing air units as well.
Did you ever faced or did Sealion? If you do then you can see how beneficial it can be to block landing hexes with air units that are far more difficult to destroy then GARs (bombing FTRs is not that effective).
Other cases is:
Poland: Polish FTR is expendable and it can consume up to 3 german attacks before it is destroyed - perfect for holding forward position in front of Warsaw.
Fortresses: since FTRs and STRATs are difficult to destroy by air they are excellent to keep Fortresses - in NA it can be Mersa Mareth. When Allies Attack Vichy you replace GAR there with German strat and have 3 or 4 turns to bring reinforcements to the fortress.

Same case with transports blocking BBs/DDs - you will see in my AAR how unhistorical situation it creates.
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : GS Open Beta”