1916: EC vs AI CP (Balanced)

After action reports for Commander The Great War

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Jimbonsx
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

1916: EC vs AI CP (Balanced)

Post by Jimbonsx »

I wasn't sure whether to post this under the AAR's or Tech Support, but here goes...

After applying new CTGW patches I like to run through the scenarios and play both sides sequentially against the AI, starting with the Balanced level of difficulty and working up. These observations refer to playing the 1916 scenario as the EC, vs Balanced AI.

I have noticed that, when playing the EC in the past that the Western Front seems to be denuded of CP units fairly early on - not too much of a problem as they invariably appear opposite the Russian army.So far, so consistent. My worries started when I turned my attention to the Persian front. I like to try to stretch the Turkish army a bit as it relieves pressure in the Armenian/Caucasus area, which in turn helps the Eastern front etc. So I started West with my few Persian troop units - and the next bit was like that scene in Star Wars where Han Solo runs round the corner into a flood of stormtroopers coming the other way.
I counted about 21 CP units headed East - in Persia! At best I reckon 7 were Turkish; the balance were the other 3 nationalities. A tad surprised, I retreated (honestly), and, long story short, lost Persia. However, as compensation, I regained Belgium, Alsace-Lorraine and, er, Germany by the start of winter 1916.

I can't help thinking that the 'defend in the West and strike in the East' policy was intended to be implemented this radically...
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: 1916: EC vs AI CP (Balanced)

Post by operating »

Haven't played SP 1916 in years. Yes, your AAR about Persia is very surprising, especially where Germany leads itself to disaster to capture Persia, In some ways I could agree with the CP AI with getting rid of a nuisance that could turn into a real headache, however within reason. The thing is: English and French units can easily reach Persia in transports, a big threat to Bagdad who has a wide open border with Persia. Without Bagdad the southern Ottoman Empire (more than 30 hexes from Constantinople) would be on half supply thus easy prey. The exuberance of the CP AI to counter this seems at odds with the actual conduct of the war. Nobody expects a game to proceed on all the historical aspects of the war, regardless the AI needs to be programed to be more sensible. Here lies the problem: The dev's have all but abandoned the game altogether much to everybody's chagrin, so don't expect any changes to be forthcoming. The 1916 scenario might be best played in MP, no artificial intelligence there. :wink:

PS: Forgot to mention that the German convoys from Norway are stuck because of a map screw-up that has a sea hex as a land hex preventing Germany from getting much needed convoy supplies. It's a handicap in the 1915, 1916 and 1917 scenarios that needs to be corrected, again the fault of lame dev's. :cry:
Jimbonsx
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Jimbonsx »

Bit worried now - are you saying the dev's have all but abandoned CTGW or just the scenario development? And thanks for the comment on my convoys post - I suppose if they really have stopped work on the whole of CTGW then no fix will be forthcoming.....
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Jimbonsx wrote:Bit worried now - are you saying the dev's have all but abandoned CTGW or just the scenario development? And thanks for the comment on my convoys post - I suppose if they really have stopped work on the whole of CTGW then no fix will be forthcoming.....
I hold only the slightest glimmer of hope that Lordz dev's will get off their fat butts to do a further patch than 1.64 (which was released approx. six months ago). They have been practically non-existence with customer relations, until recently. That is: johnnybravo's few attempts at tech support. The game is still an excellent game as far as I am concerned. The CTGW MP community is still quite active: To me it is perhaps the most enjoyable feature of the game... (after-all, it is head to head, much like you against the AI...)

Return to “Commander The Great War AAR's”