After action reports for Commander The Great War

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Villev vs Operating AAR

Post by operating »

Villev says;
It would be nice if there was an option for replaying previous turns- to clarify stuff like this and also for making an AAR later, or going over the war with both sides visible after the game's concluded.
Transferred above quote from another thread.

Sometimes it is easier to spell things out here than on the in match MP pm.

On a previous match, I took SS, but could not transfer them to forum, due to some pop3 thing with microsoft, don't know how to fix it.

What Villev speaks of would be nice.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Villev vs Operating AAR

Post by operating »

August 1915

2 turns ago my France surrendered, now the German horde has taken Turin with a garrison. That has been backed up with 2 garrisons, 2 infantry, and feels like a huge Krupp gun, to my dismay. To the North of Italy, 1 German infantry, backed by 2 garrisons, climbed over the Italian Alps, that's not good either. Then there is this massive AH army, 4 garrisons, 2-3 infantry, pushing towards Venice from the east,. No doubt, alot of weight to bear for Italy. Have been able to establish a line from Venice to coast below Turin, with 5 garrisons, 5 infantry and 1 new gun, been pounding Treste with my Italian BB. A weak in the red Belgian infantry is barely hanging on in Antwerpt, supported by English BB. An English garrison is parked on a Belgian hex outside Calais, both units are penned in with sea to their backs, with an English cruiser, backing the garrison. Was able to land a garrison in Northern Germany and have been blocking the Keil canal and W - port. Have transports, next to most exposed coastline hexes, from Neoun up to the Danish Border. The Eastern front has been relatively quiet. Turkey has lost Jeruselum back, except for Beruit, however, that is surrounded and under sights of a English gun. Russians are trying to cross river east of Aleppo, with 2 infantry, 2 garrisons, against a 3 unit Turkish force, a surprisingly tough back and forth there. Kuait has fallen to a transport. Bulgaria is 6 turns from entering the war. My only bright spot would be to knock Turkey out of the war and hold the Eastern front.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Late August 1915

Villev has captured Antwerpt and eliminated the english garrison outside Calais, it's now Fortress Europa, good for him, bad for me, but will try to keep up a good fight. Venice is AH now with the loss of 1 of my infantry, pulled back defending line west and north of Venice. Also lost a garrison southeast of Turin, pulled back my line to Genoa, Milan is not threatened yet, but soon will be. There is now 4 AH infantry, plus garrisons , pressuring east Italy.

Somewhat quiet on the Eastern Front. I'm sure the German RRs are busy. Beruit fell to the Brits, the way is completely open to Aleppo. All the Russians crossed the river and are in contact with Aleppo, knocked out it's PP point. Turkey is still a far cry from surrendering, at the moment the most vunerable CP ally. Villev likes my troop cruise ships having a holiday off the French coast.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Sept-Oct 1915

Cp has broken my Italian lines north of Genoa and northwest of Venice. CP has big guns coming from both the east and west of Italy, vaporizing my units, near every turn. Doing all I can do, to delay the inevitable. A little back and forth on the Eastern Front, nothing earthshaking. Having a little fun with Villev over on the French coast! east of London, a nasty fighter squadron, is peppering CP garrisons on the coast, followed up with BB bombardments. The English troops, broke into the transport liquor cabinets and having a ball, while waiting for the opportunity to land in Fortress Eroupa, the noise they are making is keeping CP up day and night.

The Russians took Aleppo, and are teamed up with the British (tea is getting traded for vodka). They have scaled the mountains northwest of Aleppo and at the doorstep of another Turkish city, that has lost it's production point, but not taken yet. As it stands, Turkey is cut in half, which might look good on the map, but, still leaves Turkey fully functional. I would ask Villev; if this has effect on his NM? Just for curiosity sake...

Sorry, no SS, but if you want me to keep writing, let me know. Thanks
Suprass
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Suprass »

Nice to see a new AAR. If you could attache some pictures it would be nice :D
Ottoman Empire is hard to defeat. When you go deep int it's territory you will encounter a supply difficulties. Good luck!
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Oct-Nov 1915

I'm all set up to do SS, but getting them here is the problem.

In my haste to puncture Fortress Eroupa, I forgot to support my garrison, near Wilishaven, with a ship, which left it isolated. CP jumped all over the opportunity, and eliminated it, Ah shucks! CP is building up his forces to more likely have a run at the Eastern Front, My guys are at a 12 trench level, will have to see what develops, little action for now. I think Bulgaria is in the war now, have 5 matches going on, forgot where I am with him in Turkey right now. There is steady progress being made by the English and Russians in Turkey, took another city heading northwest towards Constanople.

Getting my ass kicked over in Italy, CP has all kinds of troops there, backed up with I beleive 3 guns, plus airpower, not good. lost Genoa and Milan. It's a slippery spot to be in. Florence will not last long defending against this juggernaut. As bad as my situation is, It is still a joy to play..
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Jan 6, 1916

Florence fell, Italians have set up a defense line basicly going up/down the spine of mountains, in front of Rome, forcing Villev to lose efficientcy points, in trying to outflank Rome in the winter conditions, while my troops further entrench. Only 3 Italian mainland cities left, it only a question still as to how long Italy holds out. Behind CP lines they are bringing up the big guns, to pick off the garrison just south of Florence and the Infantry just south of that, in the center hex. The Italian BB is pounding German infantry and calvary down to the 4s in efficiency and with a couple of troop point loses each time on the Genoa/ Florence coast.. That's about my high point in the region!

Not much happening over on the French/German/Belgian coasts. CP has garrisons lining the coast the whole way, harass them with my London fighter and coastal bombardments.

More CP units showing up at the Eastern front, still quiet, the men are beefing up their entrenchments, Kronisberg and Leminburg are producing points for the Russians, Warsaw is pretty solid for now.

Turkey is another story; Bulgarian troops (5) have massed in a line in front of Konca (SP), tired from their trainrides, they are backed up by 1 German gun and calvary and a AH garrison from what I see. In front of them is a mix of English and Russian infantry ( won't say how much, in case the other guy is reading this) supported by English artillery and fighters.
Nobody is going anyplace for the time being.

Bagdad Capital has a 3 unit front composed of 2 garrisons flanking each side of an infantry inside the city. They are near surrounded by a Russo/Brit force, which also just took Kut, (which does mean much). Opened up wide tracks of hexes (10 or more) in Turkey to prevent a supply problem. Turkey, has lost somewhere about half of it's land hexes, so far. If Bagdad falls Turkey is in trouble, their NM must be pretty low after losing so many cities, that's why you see the build up at Konca. The next several turns should be interesting.
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

Make a pictures!!! At last Russians fornt!!! You can make it pushing ctrl + p. Than go to game directory- my documents/my games/commander the great war if you install it without changes...
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Suprass wrote:Make a pictures!!! At last Russians fornt!!! You can make it pushing ctrl + p. Than go to game directory- my documents/my games/commander the great war if you install it without changes...
Where do I find game directory? Went to "all programs", clicked Slitherine, does not show directories.
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

In my win7 game dirrectory is- documents/ my games/ commander the great war.
There you will have pictures.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Suprass wrote:In my win7 game dirrectory is- documents/ my games/ commander the great war.
There you will have pictures.
Went each step of the above, found the SS, but how do I get them from there to here? Everytime I try to send one an microsoft email window arrives, picture attached, but it won't send it. Can not find paste in the selections under "files". When trying to paste under "edit", I still end up with this email window, which won't send it, due to a pop3 problem. It's like I keep going around in circles.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Suprass wrote:Make a pictures!!! At last Russians fornt!!! You can make it pushing ctrl + p. Than go to game directory- my documents/my games/commander the great war if you install it without changes...
"Install it without changes", What do you mean by that?
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

For all you players out there; When Russia surrenders, all the cities she has captured go back to the original owners. All captured land hexes do the same. English units on Russian owed Turkey hexes all returned to the production panel.

England is on her own now at about 15% NM, Italy, France Serbia, now Russia have all surrendered. Militarilly Russia was real strong, all units in excellant condition, captured 10 cities, poised to take further offensive action on others, but the NM took them regardless. Being below 80% Jan 1916, was a killer. Went from 38% down to 8% NM, IIRC, Italy's surrender iced it with a all Entente taking a big NM hit, putting Russia below 0%NM. A sad day....

Should England fight on or do the unthinkable and just surrender? What do you think?
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

This is WW1 so I doubt your ever going to land in fortress Europa (unless you land in Holland or Denmark) but the Germans will just make a massive deadlock and push you back. In turkey, when German and Austrian forces arrive, I doubt the poor Brits will win so, I think this game is set and matched :(
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

LandMarine47 wrote:This is WW1 so I doubt your ever going to land in fortress Europa (unless you land in Holland or Denmark) but the Germans will just make a massive deadlock and push you back. In turkey, when German and Austrian forces arrive, I doubt the poor Brits will win so, I think this game is set and matched :(
You are absolutely right. Fortress Eruopa, you must realize was a figure speech, in lew of there was not much else to call it. Waiting for Villev to come back from wherever, to put the match to bed...
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

We'll if the Brits refuse to surrender and you get the Anericans to join you might have a chance! I'd say land near the Mediterranean.... In particular why not...... Italy our land in southern France? Maybe even landings in Greece!
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

LandMarine47 wrote:We'll if the Brits refuse to surrender and you get the Anericans to join you might have a chance! I'd say land near the Mediterranean.... In particular why not...... Italy our land in southern France? Maybe even landings in Greece!

Yes, I thought about toughing it out(first instinct/be a die hard), but it is not 1917 (I think) yet... All Villev would have to do is; Build bombers and Zepplins, then pummel my English cities, then NM would drop like a stone, along with the PPs. The English would be like a bunch of scarecrows digging up potatos to survive. The way CTGW is set up, America is not going to join the war, and the smart route to take by Villev; is not to declare war on the good ole USA. Villev has had good control of the match from the beginning, only my second MP game, but the first to end. It was a classic case of learning lessons the hard way....
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

So I assume he isn't sinking your convoys then? Now that's a smart yet risky gamble....
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

LandMarine47 wrote:So I assume he isn't sinking your convoys then? Now that's a smart yet risky gamble....
Thought about that too.... He could get away with sinking convoys now, till the "Warning Memo" pops up, about too many convoy lives lost, America threatens entry into war. By then he would have destroyed 500 PPs (could take a while to accomplish), all of course taking the wind out of the sails of a ground offensive, in some far off location. Owning the Continent makes CP the owner of a huge amount of PP. I believe that Cairo is still in my hands, if so, how long?

If you were in his jackboots; Would you not be building up your navy/transports to attack an Island nation? What I cave in to; Is major mistakes on my part (rooky stuff) early on in the game, which enabled Villev to keep momentum going his way.

Villev started a thread on the "Russian Revolution" in this forum about what is wrong with the bag of crap, the Russians have to carry, and that those game rules should change, read it to get more info.

I posted before; "Has anybody won a 1914 MP match as Entente?" No response!

In the end NM would force England to surrender even without having a final military clash.
LandMarine47
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by LandMarine47 »

The Russian revo in 1916? The way it should work is that the more territories you have, the less of a chance of a revolution! In this case this was an unfair game. This must be patched in the future.

Return to “Commander The Great War AAR's”