Massina_nz vs Suprass- The Great War

After action reports for Commander The Great War

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Suprass
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Massina_nz vs Suprass- The Great War

Post by Suprass »

Hi everyone. I want to make an AAR from game with Massina_nz.
I'll be a Central Powers and Massina will lead Entente.
I'm not a very good player as CP so every advice will be valuable. I have played only few turns with AI ( me as CP) and playing two MP games in progres so my experience is low. I feel much better as Entente player.

My plan is to first eliminate Serbia, second knock down Russia and then attack on western aliance.
I'll be trying to destroy as much convoys as possible to harras England
I'm don't want to scrap my fleet (even if there were no penalty to national morale).

And here is the first turn- nothing special. I'll prepare AH defence against Russians and try to take Warsaw by Germans.

Attack on Serbia has begun.
Could anyone tell me where I have to go to speed up Otoman Empire entry date? And do I need battleship or enything.

Last edited by Suprass on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Suprass

Re: Massina_nz vs Suprass- The Great War (no massina please)

Post by Suprass »

Second turn.
I've made small attack on serbian garrison. Battleship bombard Cetinje to down production.

Przemysl has it's garrison.
Temeschburg garrison will stay and wait until more reinforcement arrive, then move near border. Two corps in production. Next turn I'll start artillery unit.
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

Germany enter war.
Belgium invaded by the Germans but somehow fortress of Liege survived. I should send cavalry unit first i think but- I've made mistake and can't do anything now.
Maybe it's not so important becouse I don't think about Paris. I want to kill as many French as I can.

Germans prepare defence line on the east to secure northern flank for the Warsaw assault. I'm expectin offensive from Vilna direction.

AH front quiet this turn.

I've started to produce an artillery for AH and a german cavalry and garrison.
Also moved my fleet to prepare Petrograd bombardment. Untill I'll have two subs I don't go for hunting convoys. Maybe Russians will try to sink my fleet- I'll be ready.

Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal »

An initial tip - try to outflank in Serbia. The Serbian army is not big enough to hold the entire line. Be careful not to be cut off from supply, but if you can push past Belgrade and threaten Nis, the Serbs will be forced to react, which will lead to them having to give up fortified positions.

In France the key is to keep moving forward, even if it means moving past fortifications. In the case of Liege, I would have tried to move some units past the fortress before attacking. It will fall eventually, and you need to steal a step on the French before they can reinforce Belgium.
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

13 AUG 1914.
Brusseles fallen and the way into France is open. Massina sent his infantry corps near Verdun so there should be only garrisons on my way in. French doesn't have machine guns tech so maybe I can hold them with my garrisons and keep offensive alive. There is at least 4 turns untill British enter fight unless they can take port cities to defend. I will send twoo corps and arty to capture Antwerp and then arty will go to Serbia for support AH offensive at Nis- Belgrade. I hope to make a brakethrough before winter.

Quiet in the Balkans

I've changed initial possitions for attack on Warsaw- maybe I can take it in one turn but I'm afraid about counterattack...

More units will come next turn to the eastern front.
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

20 AUG 1914
German offensive push forward. Another miracle for my opponent- Calais hold at one step- I will take it next turn (i hope ). Next turn I will also try to take Antwerp.

Warsaw taken- it seems that there is no way to stop CP frome takeing Warsaw first turn- first infantry corps assault and then garrison kill one step left int the city. Now I have to defend counterattack. But maybe Massina will stand still or fall back to better defensive position.

AH still quiet. I'm waiting for artillery and gathering forces for one hard strike in Serbia. AH will defend against Russians.

@#$@@%... I forgot about my fleet in Baltick sea. Some more moves like this and I'll be lost...
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

3 SEP 1914
Assault on Antwerp in progres. Also Germans cut of Calais- There is fresh garrison so I'll take it after Antwerp.

AH prepare to defend. Germans will soon lounch offensive. I've put cavalry unit in Denzing and next turn will move it forward near Warsaw.

Still quiet in Serbia.
German fleet waiting at Baltic sea. I have no ammo to bombard Antwerp and Petrograd same time.
Last edited by Suprass on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

17 SEP 1914
In France offensive stoped. Calais is taken but i think this is over. Now I have to concentrate on Antwerp and setting defence line. I will try to inflict as many damage as I can but I fear there will be only small fights untill spring.

Russian start their offensive on Koenigsberg- This force should stop them and with some reinforcement I'll be able to make counterattack. Now I'm preparing to attack frome Warsaw.

AH will defend for now.

In Serbia I will lounch assault at Nis direction next turn. First I'll put barrage on garrison to open road to Nis and second I'll destroy Belgrade production. With full production there will be difficult to knock out Serbia.

AH fleet can't go any farther... Could someone tell me where I have to go to speed up Otoman Empire entry?
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

1 OCT 1914

Germans stopped in France for good. I'll make defence line with some units in reservs in case of spring offensive. France will recive convoy so they can build artillery unit. When BEF send their arty Entente surely lounch offensive in France. Also I'll send Hindenburg to eastern front.

Germans attacked frome Warsaw. I've destryd garrison on left flank of Warsaw front. Russians are comeing from Prussia- we will see what thay do.

AH will only defend for now. They have task in Serbia.

barrage and first assault have started. I choose garrison unit near Belgrade. I think Massian will switch it with the one to the right so I will have twoo attacks this turn and one next- I hope it will be enough.
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

15 OCT 1914
Antwerp taken. Now I'll build solid defence line. I will not send arty to Serbia if there is needed two turns of railway transport ( I haven't cheked it last turn). Two turns for transport and two turns for rest, then one or two to take possition- it's to long. I'll start building new one next turn.

Germans continue their offensive from Warsaw. With some luck I'll be able to defeat Russians and forc them to move back. Also moved from Koenigsebr. Russians have advantage in number but more units will come soon.

AH still quiet. I've upgraded them last turn.

In Serbia Massina did as I expected and I was able to make a hole in his line.

P.S. My plan like to be changed- I write what I'm thinking at this moment so it can be little chaotic :)
P.S. II Sorry for my english too... but I hope you can understand me.
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal »

Don't worry, your English is perfectly understandable :)
It looks like your tactic in Serbia will work.
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

Myrddraal wrote:It looks like your tactic in Serbia will work.
Looks like that any player has to have plan to brakeing line in trench. Frontal assault takes to much losses (and in Seria too much time). Defending trench depends on carefull plan which younit to swich. I hope it can be done witch garrsions becouse I'll don't have as many corps as I need at western front. If I will have time I will post my defence plan in France with future possitions of my units and switching plan. In other games I've made plan for offensive in France and it was very difficult to stop for my opponents. I fear the same from Massina. He is good player and can make something tricky...
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

29 OCT 1914

German forces strike into flanks of two front- Warsaw and Koenigsberg. I've made a hole and I'll try to push this way. It depend on Massina's moves which direction I choose. Second Cavalry unit will enter action soon. I will see if there will be a chance to brake line into south direction to sorround units beneath Brest-Litovsky. If there will be solid Russian defence I will turn to Vilna and block rest of russian army at Brest. This should cut them at two parts and anable me to destroy Koenigsburg front. It looks like Massina is trying to make as many garrison as he need to build line without holes. I cant build as many unit so i split my army at two parts. First will be Army North- Kovno and Vilna direction. Second will be Army Center- For now its Germans and AH untill I'll be able to start offensive with AH- then I'll split it into two parts- Center will destroy Brest and South will push into Vinnytsia direction.

In Serbaia I have attaced infantry corps. next turn I repeat attack or make place for german artillery- I've sent it to Serbia. It will take two turns of railway transport but it will be faster the building new one. New one is building and will be send to France. I plan to gather two artillery in France after winter but it can be needed in Russia. We will see. This is moust important front for now- I have to be carefull. I think I'll regroup next turn and then lounch massive barrage and assault on Belgrade with two artillery. there will be also reinforcements next turn- two infantry corps from AH will be ready.

In France quiet. I'm prepareing defence. I thinkin about cavalry unit to stay in reserve. Also I put garrison on ralilroad cross near Wilhelmshaven to prevent landing (in one game Entente landing made lot of problems).

Ottoman Empire enterd war. It looks like English are going to be offensive in this front so I put cavalry into Jerusalem- I dont know if I can hold Gaza this turn. Also moved Turkeys towards Russian border.

Is there going to be a grate naval battle? English task force catch AH fleet at their way to home ports. If massina is ready there is no chance for me to survive. I have stayed for three turns without moves near gallipoly and ther where no massage if I speed up Otoman Empire entry...
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

My vision of defence in France. I Suspect attack on corps marked red X. It will be attack with at last two artillery unit but my corps should survive first turn. If first one survive ( this one near Rouen) I'll move it to the right (current garrison 7 step) and then all other corps from reserve should fill empty trench. It should survive at this possition. If it will be too much damaged I'll disband it.

If there will be atack near Strassburg I will simply swith or move back to the city.

I plan to keep cavalry unit in reserve for quick reaction.
Two artillery units should be enough to stop French and British but I don't know if I will be able to keep them at defenc. There may be need of them at Russian front.
I'll also send my fighter squadron to Franc and keep an eye at enemy's moves to react for any changes.
The plan is simple and all is about to make place for units switching to front line and to keep arty beyound infantry range. If Massina force me to leave trench I'll be lost.
This black squers are future positions of my units. If I'll be able I'll try to make some mor corps instade of garrisons but I think upkeep will block me.
Any sugestions are welcome.
Last edited by Suprass on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

12 NOV 1914
Quiet at the western front. This turn only upgrades. I have moved cavalry unit to switch with garrison near Verdun wich is attacked every turn so it csn't build trench.

Army North and Center push forward. Russians moved back last turn so I start pursuit. Looks like that Russians are cut in half. They surly have something near Vilna and Kovno Even AH made some sucess.

In Serbia last preparation for Belgrade assault. I've attacked garrison and corps at the east and west flanks of the city. Artillery changed position and german one is at place. Next turn they will give support. Also AH reinforcements arrived- one more corps.

Battle at the Greec shores. It was my bad decision to stay and fight- I could escape to Constantinopole but decided to sink french battleship which I didn't done.

And Ottoman Empire scored failure. cavalry attack faild and I think this turn it will be destryed. I think I can stop British at Damascus- Beirut line.
Last edited by Suprass on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Myrddraal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by Myrddraal »

I hope you are researching industrial warfare with the Ottomans...
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

Myrddraal wrote:I hope you are researching industrial warfare with the Ottomans...
Yes. I have noticed that after patche I have to buy lab first- I done it and set research.
GogTheMild
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by GogTheMild »

What a great AAR. I like the details of your strategic thoughts behind all of your moves. I am more tempted than ever to buy this game.
We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf.
Suprass

Post by Suprass »

GogTheMild wrote:What a great AAR. I like the details of your strategic thoughts behind all of your moves. I am more tempted than ever to buy this game.
Thanks. It's all for you and everyone who is reading this :)

There will be four days brake- Massina went for holiday.
SSupras
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by SSupras »

It's strange to me to write to my brother in a foreign language, but I'll try :D

In Serbia: Maybe try to put one more garrison near Sarajevo and when you conquer Belgrade, it will let you to encircle the rest of the Serbian defense line. Then it is good not to kill them, because Entente player has to pay upkeep, while those units are virtually useless. Additionally, when without supply, they cannot be disbanded (maybe this is a bug, because they should have possibility to surrender, even without resources gaining through disbandment).

In France: Try to put some garrison in the second line near Calais. It could be easily reconed (with fleet or planes) that your unit near Calais will withdraw if pushed hardly.

In Turkey: you have not so bad situation now, but probably England will push there, because there is quietly in France. If you will see more English infantry or artillery, save what you can in Beirut-Damascus line, leave only small forces in Gasa and Jerusalem to slow English advance. Maybe disband some troops in Caucasus to gain more resources. Heavy machine guns and trenches are heavily required, if you want to defend. Wait until English attack your fortified positions and then counterattack with hidden cavalries somewhere from the flank.

In Russia: try to cut the railway lines to Brest-Litovsk. Then withdrawing Russian forces will have to go through swamp and then they are doomed - you can easily outflank them with quick advance. You can also try to take Helsinki and maybe Petrograd with surprise landing. But firstly you should destroy Russian fleet - it should be easy with your Baltic fleet + subs (somebody told that even in port the Russian battleships are doomed - you can check it in a quick game against the AI).

Return to “Commander The Great War AAR's”