Brussels

After action reports for Commander The Great War

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

tyro
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Brussels

Post by tyro »

Nehi should we do an actual after action report next time?
nehi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by nehi »

i can make some anytime, but i wont do it during first crucial turns, maybe when russia joins and later is reasonable

it took me quite lot of time to develop working cp strategy, as i havent seen anything similar so far, its better to let entente playing standardly, to someone be able beat em even without crazy tactics

ive played usually nothing extreme as entente so far, but i lost just twice calais, once rouen (but it was more suicide than real gain, it turned to deadly gap for cp and calais was still mine) and no one touched paris

so i guess standard defense of france is maybe vulnerable vs crazy tactics, but quite solid vs anything common and anything better would be like deadlock/deadend for mp (i remember my frustration, when i tought its like impossible even vs average player just spamming units)

i know operating is always talking about fun etc. and that im ruining this game, but i see no point of game, where he knows from like 10th turn hes going to win and then hes keeping game longer than its neccessary (its like keeping hamster in a maze)

ive played like 2nd ever mp game vs him, it was the same, around 20th turn i was in red numbers with production (i put almost all production in infatries, which is really high pps consuming and he blimped my cities), he was "enjoying" the game next 30 turns even i wasnt really able to play it... one strong push and it would be over in 10

now vs opnn he blimped his cities and offered him to stop it... funny, when entente has huge overproduction and many convoys, something like "hey dude, u are going to lose anyway, but i can let u breathe for more of this fun"

i prefer more straight gaming style than such cat vs mouse
tyro
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tyro »

I totally agree
tyro
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by tyro »

Tulius Hostilius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Tulius Hostilius »

I know that this thread is long dead… but I must comment it… and I must try Brussels on turn 1. Still didn’t achieved it.
nehi

Post by nehi »

Tulius Hostilius wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:43 pm I know that this thread is long dead… but I must comment it… and I must try Brussels on turn 1. Still didn’t achieved it.
its possible, but it needs to use save/load to catch three best attacks in turn, so kinda gay
Tulius Hostilius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

nehi wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:08 pm
Tulius Hostilius wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:43 pm I know that this thread is long dead… but I must comment it… and I must try Brussels on turn 1. Still didn’t achieved it.
its possible, but it needs to use save/load to catch three best attacks in turn, so kinda gay
Thanks, I was suspecting that. I tried a few times now, and the best result is still the Belgian infantry at 5.

I never played against other player. Do you still play? I would like to give it a shot, even if it seems your were a master on this.
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

@Tullius: beware the Zeps! ;)
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:50 pm @Tullius: beware the Zeps! ;)
its better to use zeps than resign to any chance to win as central powers, its their only hope
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Yup, bad game design decisions. There should have been other solutions.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Tulius Hostilius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Robotron wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:50 pm @Tullius: beware the Zeps! ;)
I already understood that from another thread out there :D

I already tried it with the AI, and it works. But them it is really odd to see Zeppelins bomb massively trenches and it goes against my historical perspective, but purely in game terms seems to work.
nehi wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:11 pm its better to use zeps than resign to any chance to win as central powers, its their only hope
Against a human opponent, maybe you are right. I just say maybe, because I never played against a human. But the first time that I played the game it was with the CP and I had an hard time, then I dropped the game. Then I tried with the Entente and found the game quite easy. Unfortunately as soon as we understand the game basics winning with the CP against the AI is also easy. But I always play a balanced game.
Robotron wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:23 pm Yup, bad game design decisions. There should have been other solutions.
Agreed. Probably it was an unseen side consequence. Just got the idea that increasing the production time for the zeppelins and planes would necessarily lower their ingame numbers.
nehi

Post by nehi »

Tulius Hostilius wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:53 am Against a human opponent, maybe you are right. I just say maybe, because I never played against a human. But the first time that I played the game it was with the CP and I had an hard time, then I dropped the game. Then I tried with the Entente and found the game quite easy. Unfortunately as soon as we understand the game basics winning with the CP against the AI is also easy. But I always play a balanced game.
thats it, ai doesnt disband small garrisons and its poor anyway

where can it lead, if one side can recruit more units than other is able to destroy?

central powers have just like 25 turns to achieve something decisive or they r going to be suffocated just by ententes hats

im out of free slots (thats most anoying bug in ctgw, u cant cancel game by yourself, if other side left it), but i saw some players are still active, so just set up game and some one will join it, its usually completely different than vs ai
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

central powers have just like 25 turns to achieve something decisive or they r going to be suffocated just by ententes hats
Why that 25 turns limit?
Tulius Hostilius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

nehi wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:53 pm
Tulius Hostilius wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:53 am Against a human opponent, maybe you are right. I just say maybe, because I never played against a human. But the first time that I played the game it was with the CP and I had an hard time, then I dropped the game. Then I tried with the Entente and found the game quite easy. Unfortunately as soon as we understand the game basics winning with the CP against the AI is also easy. But I always play a balanced game.
thats it, ai doesnt disband small garrisons and its poor anyway

where can it lead, if one side can recruit more units than other is able to destroy?

im out of free slots (thats most anoying bug in ctgw, u cant cancel game by yourself, if other side left it), but i saw some players are still active, so just set up game and some one will join it, its usually completely different than vs ai
Not being possible to delete a multiplayer game is really a bug. In most of these games when we want to delete is because the other player disappeared.

Meanwhile I am having a problem. I always got the message “connection timeout”, even if write it quickly. The Name and the password are the same ones to forum, right? But if I try a new account, I have the same message!
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

When exactly are you experiencing those problems about "connection timeout"?
Tulius Hostilius
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

In multiplayer, after the Cheking serial message, and after I press Log in or/and Register.

There must be a time betwen the Cheking serial message and pressing Log in. But I have a long nick and pass. :D
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Please upload the ctgw.log and last savegame....no, wait, wrong thread! :D
nehi

Post by nehi »

Tulius Hostilius wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:46 pm Not being possible to delete a multiplayer game is really a bug. In most of these games when we want to delete is because the other player disappeared.
its because it was never programmed, as far as i know

u should be able to, after 30 days of inactivity

but u have to ask slitherines support instead of it

only time(s) i had connection timeout was while slitherines servers were down, so i cant help u in that matter
nehi

Post by nehi »

Robotron wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:33 pm
Why that 25 turns limit?
economy, thats time when ententes ability to have twice (or more) of everything than central powers is going to turn the tide, irreversibly

in most interesting game i ever played as entente, i lost france but i still won, because central powers take it down too late

in total war each turn matters

Return to “Commander The Great War AAR's”