Gotterdammerung Scenario AAR - Axis vs AI

After action reports for Time of Fury

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Time of Fury Design

gwgardner
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by gwgardner »

June 16th.

Second week of the Allied invasion in France, and there is some good news for the AI and some bad. The open flanks, the hasty, unsupported rush into the interior, are both troublesome in terms of AI behavior. On the other hand, the AI successfully took both Cherbourg and Le Havre after sustained bombardment followed by assault. The AI also reinforced the weakened division southeast of Cherbourg.

Obviously the AI needs some work here. Those open flanks, against a human player, will mean disaster. Le Havre is already thereby threatened to be cut off. the only thing that can save the Allied position at this point is a continued landings and transports.

There is also a bug on the German side. Those frozen tank units adjacent to allied units should have been unfrozen. At the very least, there should be a high probability that those units would be released. OKH was historically stubborn about releasing them to be sure. But their commanders must be screaming their bloody heads off over the land line "But we have enemy tanks advancing on our position even as we speak!" (Work in progress!! This is playtesting, after all.)

[Later] After studying my upcoming moves, perhaps the allied position isn't too terribly vulnerable. I am limited in units available to rush into the breach of those open flanks. Note also that the AI did forestall my would-be counterattack against its center. The vulnerable 5-6 British mech unit can be picked off, BUT that will leave my own 8-3 inf corps vulnerable. Again, it all depends on what kind of followup the AI does for the initial invasion.

Last edited by gwgardner on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

The Eastern Front meanwhile is now in the good weather zone, and the Russkies are pushing hard. The Finns have only one armored division standing between Helsinki and the massive Soviet horde. OKH has ordered the abandonment of Estonia, in order to establish shorter lines farther south. Of course, shorter lines for the Germans means better concentration for the Russians too.
marklv
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by marklv »

Tomokatu wrote:I know that in some countries the display of the Hakenkreuz is prohibited under law but I'm finding that the use of the WWI cross patee (Iron Cross) as the German national symbol is quite jarring.
I know it's only eye-candy, but can WI at least please switch to the straight-sided Balkenkreuz? The Germans themselves did that in 1917.

Perhaps it could be configurable by the end-user at installation. "Is the display of the swastika legally prohibited in your country Y/N?"
I don't believe that using the swastika in computer software for personal usage only is illegal anywhere. Displaying it in public is another matter, hence why it cannot be used in software that is for public sale. It's a really very stupid law, born out of fear, as the swastika has origins that have absolutely nothing to do with Hitler and the NSDAP; in some countries like India the swastika is revered as symbol of good luck.
doomtrader
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by doomtrader »

marklv wrote:
Tomokatu wrote:I know that in some countries the display of the Hakenkreuz is prohibited under law but I'm finding that the use of the WWI cross patee (Iron Cross) as the German national symbol is quite jarring.
I know it's only eye-candy, but can WI at least please switch to the straight-sided Balkenkreuz? The Germans themselves did that in 1917.

Perhaps it could be configurable by the end-user at installation. "Is the display of the swastika legally prohibited in your country Y/N?"
I don't believe that using the swastika in computer software for personal usage only is illegal anywhere. Displaying it in public is another matter, hence why it cannot be used in software that is for public sale. It's a really very stupid law, born out of fear, as the swastika has origins that have absolutely nothing to do with Hitler and the NSDAP; in some countries like India the swastika is revered as symbol of good luck.
That is the law in Germany
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We cannot get the game age rated if there Swastikas are in the game anywhere and without age ratings you cannot sell at retail or on places like Amazon.
Valgua77
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Valgua77 »

Great AAR! I am impressed by your account of the AI capability. I assume, however, that the landing in France is a scripted event in the Götterdämmerung scenario. I wonder if the AI will be capable of orchestrating a landing in the grand campaign.... I also wonder if the AI makes an analysis of the human player's defences before deciding id and where the landing is going to take place.
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Usually, the AI prefers to launch D-Day's invasions rather than Jubilee.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Good question Doomtrader, about the Grand Campaign. Can the AI launch such an invasion in the campaign game? Or any of you other players who have played solo against the Allied AI all the way?
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

This is rather a question, will the situation allow to run such invasion at all.
The D-Day (even in reality) depends on the weakness of German forces.
Valgua77

Post by Valgua77 »

gwgardner wrote:The Eastern Front meanwhile is now in the good weather zone, and the Russkies are pushing hard. The Finns have only one armored division standing between Helsinki and the massive Soviet horde. OKH has ordered the abandonment of Estonia, in order to establish shorter lines farther south. Of course, shorter lines for the Germans means better concentration for the Russians too.
I look forwar to the continuation of your AAR. It's brilliant and has helped me a lot in deciding to buy the game.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Unfortunately, I can't finish this particular AAR, as the beta revisions have continued on over the last four months. The save game files are no longer compatible. I have confirmed that the latest beta test revision has fixed the supply problem for the Allies in Italy.
Tomokatu
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Tomokatu »

Please General Doomtrader, Sir, may I have a BMW R75 Outfit or a Kettenkrad for my avatar picture instead of this lousy stinking tiny little Pz1A?

I'd rather be shot in the open than in this verdammte pickle can. :shock:

Our driver eats too much cabbage and I can't stretch my legs properly without kicking him in the back of the head (which he so deserves! :evil: ).
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Just be active and prove that you are worth, so you can even get an armored train for yourself ;)

Return to “Time of Fury AAR's”