Time of Fury beta version Barbarossa solo AAR

After action reports for Time of Fury

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Time of Fury Design

gwgardner
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by gwgardner »

While the mopping up operation continues in the Pripet Marshes, to the east a pocket has developed along the southern boundary of Army Group Center. This is totally an infantry show, and will require the help of the Bulgarian allies to contain. Upwards of 80,000 or more Soviet troops could be captured.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Two more pockets are in the developing stage in Army Group South territory. One around a huge concentration of Soviets near Melitopol is closing. The other is aborning around Stalino, but is more a dream than a reality, as lead elements of 1st Panzer are so far ahead of their supporting infantry that closing this pocket may be impossible.

1st Panzer is in a precarious position, actually. Weakened by lack of supply, strung out over 300 miles of the Ukraine. General Rundstedt is just about to order his daring panzers to halt ... but the valued resources of the Ukraine are very enticing.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Overall I have done substantially better than the historical Barbarossa. Leningrad taken. Moscow approached in October instead of December. Likely to be taken. Only in the south are things pretty historical, or a little behind.

There are huge swatches of that vast conquest which are uncontrolled for the most part, meaning I have no forces guarding the entire frontier. IF the Soviet AI is strong enough to mount counter-offensives, there are numerous places where they can do some damage.

Note that Pinsk garrison still holds out, even though it is now under siege.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Oct 8, 1941

The rains have come. And where it is cold enough, the snow. Army Group Center's battle for Moscow continues apace, but now at a necessarily slower pace. The slowdown bodes ill, as it means more time for the Soviets to strengthen their lines.

Army Group South doesn't have deal with the snow yet, but the rains there will soon make a quagmire of the land, perhaps ending before it hardly started, the closing of the Stalino Pocket.

The next few weeks are critical.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

As the week progresses in the rain and snow, the reduced ability for the tanks to advance is telling. Fighting in the southern suburbs shatters the defenders, but the 2nd Panzer is simply bogged down so much that it cannot take control of the area.

[player's note: rain and snow reduce both movement capabilities and fighting effectiveness. The latter effects the defender also, of course, but it is different per country. Ergo the Soviet fighting effectiveness can be higher in winter than the German, for instance.]

I briefly considered attempting to encircle Moscow, but without getting more infantry support on the flanks, it's impossible. Recon shows that the Russians are building up forces just to south in Ryazan, and I have a total of zero, that's 0, blocking units to protect my offensive against Moscow.

At this point in the war, I am building 2 infantry divisions per turn, generally 1 mech division every two turns, and when I accrue enough production points, I am building a panzer division. Of course those don't just appear willy-nilly upon purchase, but some time down the line after organization and training.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

The rain is not as widespread for Army Group South, but the buildup of Soviet forces is. Look at what's going from south of Kharkov to north of Kursk. At this point, the Soviets have more boots on the ground than I do. Note the strength of the Soviet infantry now, also.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

The diplomatic part of the game is not my strongpoint so far, but here's an example of what can go on:

[playtester's note: I'm going to lobby Wastelands to start the Ukraine off with a higher research level, since their new army would have been trained and equipped by the Germans]

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Drum roll ...

Oct 16 soldiers of the 42nd Panzer Korps rode their tanks through the gates of the Kremlin in an act of bravado that belied the hard fighting and tenacious defense by their Russian enemy.

The government of the USSR fled the inner city the night before, when it became clear that the final defensive line along the Volga was breached, and 2nd Panzer Army was on the verge of cutting rail lines to the east. The remaining defense of the city collapsed with the departure of the Kremlin leadership.

It remains to be seen if the Soviet government will now sue for surrender terms. It must be acknowledged that there is no sign yet of collapse anywhere else along the front, from the Crimea to Murmansk.

[playertester's note: The Soviet AI defense of Moscow was respectable except for one element - the city garrison troops were not reinforced, leaving avenues for advance by the enemy. I strongly suspect that the crack programming team at Wastelands will investigate and correct this problem. Garrison troops should certainly be provided upgrades and reinforcements as needed, especially as the enemy approaches!]
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

That is not Stalin's plans.

You will be sorry. STAVK has ordered all peasants to rise up! Revolt against the German dogs!

You forget about Lebenstraum! Hitler would never allows these sub human inferiors to have German training and excellent arms.

However, the Ukrainains need a General for a leader and perhaps a defense or ZOC bonus.

Re-check your PP's. Isn't it 7.5 PPs not 75?

This will be interesting. I am rooting for the peasant revolt.

STALIN! STALIN! STALIN!

Hammer & Sickle Hammer & Sickle

Hammer the Krauts & use the Sickle to cut them up to pieces.
Tomokatu
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Tomokatu »

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Priceless, Tommy.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Nov 1

As a result of taking Moscow, the Germans have obtained a PP boost and a morale boost. The latter translates into higher effectiveness for a while. This is bad, bad news for the Soviets, because it means that my panzers in the south, where the weather is a bit better, will be able to advance much farther.

Remember the Stalino pocket, which in October looked to be quite strong. My enhanced effectiveness panzers just sliced into and crushed the pocket. It helped that I had started transferring the 4th Panzer south to Army Group South. Recon now shows that the Soviets have little to stand in the way of my move forward to Rostov.

[Playtester's note: another thing for Wastelands to think about - too little evidence to say this definitely - perhaps the wear and tear on the panzers, after 4 moths of campaigning, should be increased a bit. My panzers are still at approximately 75% or higher, from their strength at the beginning of Barbarossa, and I have never reinforced any of them. Either that, or perhaps instead the shock effect that the Soviets experience needs to be tweaked a bit.]

[another playtester's note: hope Wastelands is reading this - I'm not sure that taking Moscow or Leningrad, should translate into such a big effectiveness boost 1000 miles away, different army group, etc. Some yes, but probably needs to be toned down.]

Anraz
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Anraz »

hope Wastelands is reading this
We do :)
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Anraz wrote:
hope Wastelands is reading this
We do :)
Awesome. Please note, I think this Barbarossa scenario is really going well. Any suggestions I make for tweaking are just that - very minor. I know from past experience that it's not always this 'easy' to take the big cities. Lots of event options, etc, that could go differently.
Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

I've played Barbarossa a few times and Fall Gelb and GC all the way through Barbarossa.

That's 12 games or more and each time it changes due to patches. Still keeping an eye on the shock event. I can do alright as USSR. still need to see if I can make in offense in Spring 42'

It is easier if we have one set of parameters for shock and not two. One for AI and one for human.

I didn't have the benefit of increased supply last time I played so move movement was allot less. The previous game I achieved about the same results as you.

Did you know weather plays a big factor? If you get a couple of rain storms and it makes you wait 3 turns for supply it effects your forward progress allot.

I just don't know which way to go on the shock. You haven't reached winter yet. I also, thought it should be a couple of percentages less for the first few weeks but once winter comes there is a big difference.

I was thinking of adding a few units to garrison a couple of cities to help USSR. we could even add a few units base upon a trigger.

After you capture X hex the 3 units are added to block you movement. Sure you can kill them no problem, but it will slow your advance.

Perhaps the area around Moscow needs this. Anyway, its hard to change the parameters based upon one game.

My games have seen different results. None of the 12 games had Finland join the war where they did in yours.

I'm on the second game in B37 concerning invasion of USSR, and have seen a big difference in movement impact.
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Nov 9

The weather and the Soviets are acting up. The rain and snow are extending farther south now, and all along the front the Soviets are probing. No definite offensive that I can discern, but attacks everywhere against my weakest frontline units. My 2-2s are quickly reduced to 1-2s. The Soviets are now showing 3-3 and 4-3 infantry all along the front. I'm bring up my own 3-4s where I can, and rotating the units that have been mauled back to Germany and the General Govt for refit. Only where my panzers are present can I say that I dominate the battlefield. Elsewhere I'm completely stalled.

As the sitrep in the south indicates, the Soviets will quickly take advantage of my mistakes.

gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

The Finns were about to take over the Leningrad sector, but have suffered a beating on their southern flank, where the linkup with the Germans was unsecured. That pesky Soviet tank corps (that I should have destroyed before pulling out the 4th Panzer!) has hit back. I will attempt to move in behind it, but my troops are only moving about 40 miles a week in this weather.

Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

Where are the peasants?

I thought a ton of them would have triggered by now.

Do they not hear the call from Stalin? Rise up for your mother country!
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

Nov 24

With a new playtesting build, unit experience is introduced. This is going to be a big factor in determining lines of attack, where enemy experience can be determined.

Here the Soviets have been pushed back from their attempt to bully their way into the gap between the Germans and the Finns, and threaten Leningrad. The counterattack has been seriously hampered by weather and the experience/effectiveness of the Soviet tank corps.

Razz1
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Razz1 »

That T-34/85 looks pretty intimidating.

I hate it when you move up and think your God as Germans, and all of sudden that tank corps shows up.

Return to “Time of Fury AAR's”