Download the Panzer Corps 1.21 Public Beta

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

KeldorKatarn
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Download the Panzer Corps 1.21 Public Beta

Post by KeldorKatarn »

brettz123 wrote:The problem as I see it isn't how long it would take but a complete lack of communication. Just come and tell us what is going on.
+1
Panzer Corps - Dossier Tool - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=39151
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x2bHqAwUGeaD93VpLbEgw
zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel »

KeldorKatarn wrote:
brettz123 wrote:The problem as I see it isn't how long it would take but a complete lack of communication. Just come and tell us what is going on.
+1
+2
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Hello All!

Thanks for all the feedback, it really helps. Attached please find a fixed EXE which should address the issues reported above. This is 1.21 beta2. I'm also passing the whole package to Slitherine. 1.21 beta2 should be able to read any saves created by 1.20 or 1.21 beta1. 1.21 release will also be able to read them. If it does not let me know.

I have read through this thread, and it seems that the list put together by ThvN is pretty much complete, so some comments to his points:

- Not all the 1.21 gamerules carry over to the Grand Campaigns.

This is one thing I could not repro. All GCs consistently start for me with all the rules. Can it be that you guys are using modified DLCs (e. g. with gamerules file updated/replaced with info from 1.20 or something)? Will the problem remain if you reinstall the DLCs or the Megapack?

- The UI switching works better now, but still not 100%.

This one was tricky, because saved games do not contain active UI setting. However, I changed the code to make the best guess and activate the right UI for each save...

- The minefields suddenly have a spotting range of 1 during bad weather.

Fixed in beta 2.

- Hero bonus is being applied to their transports as well.

Fixed in beta 2.

- As a request, would it be possible in the future to allow the player to manually select which transport is used when you embark? I know this choice is already given if there are both sea/rail transports available, but for the other occasions the listing in the scenario determines what type (air/glider or air/sea) is assigned, which can be annoying if it's not the one you want to use.

Maybe in the future...

- Two very little niggles, in the advanced options screen the sliders move with the preselected difficulty but the AI level doesn't change according to which difficulty is selected. And it shows the choice for '1.20' rules settings, but his should be changed to '1.21' for this new version.

AI levels should be updated correctly in beta 2. I did not change 1.20 to 1.21, because 1.20 used New rules (as opposed to Classic rules) as well. These numbers are just a hint to explain what "New" and "Classic" rules mean. So, "New (1.20)" should be read as: "New ruleset as introduced in version 1.20". Does this make sense?

- After I have chosen the tutorial campaign, the tutorial messages in the options menu are flagged 'on' and do not automatically revert back when I choose another campaign. They need to be manually deselected, again I'm not sure if that is as intented?

Tutorial option worked like this since ever, and it is by design. If the user starts Tutorial campaign, we consider that he is new to the game and wants to see all tutorial messages. Even if he stops playing the tutorial and start main game instead, we still show him the remaining tutorial messages. In fact, some tutorial messages are not seen in the tutorial campaign (message about switching units comes to mind), but are still shown in the main campaign. If the user wants to turn off tutorial messages, he can just uncheck the option in game menu.

Thanks,
Alex
Attachments
PanzerCorps.zip
(563.02 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
fliegenderstaub
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by fliegenderstaub »

Thanks for the file. :)

Played three scenarios and it seems to work fine.

Is there any time limit as in the first one or will the patch be out before it expires?

Thanks in advance! :)
...and like the once-mighty Mahi-Mahi, you will end
up on a poo-poo platter in the Tikki Hut of life! -Al Bundy -
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Beta versions have always an expiry date. Only Alex can tell how long it will last. But meanwhile the final 1.21 will be probably release.
zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel »

Whatever: it works! For now. :twisted:
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

I set expiry date to 01.10.2013, and yes, I do hope final version arrives before that date!

PS. I should probably add information about expiry date to the main screen in the future...
yarco
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by yarco »

Thank You Thank You Thank You
Finally I have good reason to play PC again.
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

Rudankort wrote:All GCs consistently start for me with all the rules. Can it be that you guys are using modified DLCs (e. g. with gamerules file updated/replaced with info from 1.20 or something)? Will the problem remain if you reinstall the DLCs or the Megapack?
Hello Alex, thanks for the comments. Today I finally had the time to do a complete reinstall of PzC/DLCs/AK/AC, and the issue did not reappear :) . Strange, because I thought I had put back the stock gamerules.pzdat files during beta1, just like how I always use the stock equipment file for testing... Anyway, I'm glad I could no longer reproduce this. The dangers of modding, I guess?
I changed the code to make the best guess and activate the right UI for each save...
Seems to be working fine after a quick test. Minefield spotting and Hero/transport work as they should, no longer any issues so far.
AI levels should be updated correctly in beta 2. I did not change 1.20 to 1.21, because 1.20 used New rules (as opposed to Classic rules) as well. These numbers are just a hint to explain what "New" and "Classic" rules mean. So, "New (1.20)" should be read as: "New ruleset as introduced in version 1.20". Does this make sense?
The AI levels change correctly now, I tried a few settings, no problems. And about the '1.20', your explanation makes sense to me, I can see the logic. It's mostly a matter of personal preference I guess, I was just a bit worried that people would think that the number was the version of the game as installed on their system, and head for the forums to inform us of this 'error'. But I'll stick to your explanation for those cases, same as for the tutorial messages.

By the way, I wish you lots of success with the iOS conversion. It sounds like a very big job, so thanks for finding the time to do all these fixes and new features for us. I have a feeling that as soon as the iOS version hits the market we are going to need a bigger forum :wink: ...
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

I think most people don't really know what is meant by 1.14 or 1.20 rules anyway if don't have the expert knowledge to use notepad and check the gamerules.pzdat content. It would be more understandable if all settings would be accessible/tweakable in the game. It could make this extra gamerules114.pzdat file redudant too.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

ThvN
Hi Thomas, thanks for checking the new version. Judging by your comments, new version looks good so far?
(And yes, I hope iOS is worth all the trouble we have had with it. :) )

Horst
I think that the options in gamerules file are too numerous and low level for usual players to mess with. The whole point of this option is this. We implemented an updated ruleset in 1.20 which was supposed to be better than the old one. But since people could be unhappy with the changes, and also because there are so many campaigns out there (both official and custom) which we could not possible test before the release of 1.20, we left people an option to revert to the old rule set. So, if any user says: "I've installed patch 1.20 and I don't like how the game was changed, give me my old game!" - he can use the option to switch to "classic" rule set. Without necessarily knowing exactly what was changed (some changes are pretty subtle).
Horst

Post by Horst »

When reading various campaign mod topics, the main problem player face is the prestige cap. The settings are too low, especially when you need to upkeep huge core forces and possibly have capital ships in your core force too.
Many players would still like to play with the new entrenchment rules, the close terrain vs air bonus, and especially the surrender prestige reward though.
If you could only turn off the prestige cap in the game, this would solve these low prestige issues players typically have with campaign mods.

For my own stats mod with own unit costs, I’ve set the prestige cap minimum now about 12.5 strength of the Panther G (750), while I take a 15-strength Maus cost as maximum (2500). My Panther costs are a bit lower than in vanilla (606-596), while the Tigers (746+1092) and especially the Maus (1658) is more expensive.
The prestige cap curve will be much longer and more forgiving as long as a player won’t gather too many heavy tanks, jet planes, and heavy bombers (rather fighters in vanilla) later. Let’s face it, without a couple of expensive equipment, you can’t really survive in end-war scenarios, no matter what campaign you play. That’s why a max cap setting of 800 can quickly send you to a prestige nirvana.
I think a cap should only prevent gathering mainly heavy tanks, starting with the Tiger and especially something like the Maus later, as average core force and not penalize the player already in mid-war with a simple overstrengthed PzIII/IV force. The increased overstrength costs alone should already reduce the prestige abundance enough there.
I haven’t tested this in the long run yet, but my hopes are high this could work fine for all campaigns without turning the cap completely off.
Delta66
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Delta66 »

@Horst

Unless you have been following the forum since a long time, rules 1.14 or 1.20 won't mean a lot. Considering the game maybe available on Steam, and as such open to a wider audience,and also for those many players that don't have the time to follow the forum. It could be better to rename '1.14' and '1.20', to 'classic' and 'advanced' (or anything you feel appropriate).

I agree with you that the prestige soft cap doesn't work well with mods or with the vanilla GC. It causes more issues than it solves.

If you thing the whole 1.20 rules create prestige issues, you can also tweak the prestige % to offset thesoft cap in either direction.

Anyway, I don't think soft cap is so great. I think that army lists, i.e. max (and maybe also min) allowed units per type would help make more "historical" and varied core.
Horst

Post by Horst »

Yeah, if a designer tweaks the prestige rewards properly, I don’t think such cap would be really needed either. It’s just a quite time consuming balance procedure.
However, the soft cap isn’t so bad because additionally, it can actually control the overabundance of expensive equipment, like heavy tanks. It can also penalize ambitious reloaders if they gather only 15-OS units later. The soft cap is just difficult to handle as player, especially if you don’t bother about historical correctness or the costs/unit if you're still bathing in PPs, because it creeps slowly into your campaign flow and suddenly backstabs if you don’t pay attention to your expenses later in the war because e.g. the Soviets just introduced their animal hunter family.
I think it’s still a more elegant way if tweaked better than giving a straight prestige percentage reduction by the difficulty slider or simply by the difficulty ranks.

For inexperienced player’s sake, I hope there will be a prestige cap toggle implemented in the future, because I wouldn’t want to miss those other 1.20+ features in whatever custom-campaign either.
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

So far I'm quite pleased with the softcap, it's easy and unobtrusive, and it can be toggled/adjusted for modded content. Of course the existing mods will have to be re-tweaked, but as a quick fix the soft cap can be disabled, so it doesn't force everyone to re-balance entire campaigns. That is also the difficult thing with introducing these kind of anti-snowball features, they will have to work with existing content without breaking the balance.

Unfortunately I've been very busy with paperwork lately, but today I'm battering my way through Stalingrad DLC scenarios, and it is here that I was expecting the biggest shift in balance, but no complaints so far; the artillery is still very usable, and the slightly lesser effect is compensated by the infantry being more effective vs. entrenched units.

Overall I'm very satisfied so far, it looks like 1.21 solves the issues that have cropped up with 1.20 without breaking anything, and there even are a few new parameters for the modders to play with. I haven't tested multiplayer or the replay system, but singleplayer seems to work well. Good job, looks ready for release!
Longasc

Post by Longasc »

So... did anyone still find any bugs?

Sorry, I didn't play much ... actually only 2 scenarios and then some cheating to see if something breaks between scenarios.
But I am eager to start a new Grand Campaign and I am looking forward to the official and final 1.21! :)

To put it bluntly, it's working and I couldn't break things. How about you?
Kamerer
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by Kamerer »

Woa - the screen resolution is so much nicer now? What happened?

I downloaded the patch from the 10th (just saw that, missed it before). I started a '39 DLC and was amazed the graphics were much sharer. I chose the same 1680x1050 (default) as before. The game also moves much faster and smoother. The partial shading is finer, movement zone whites and also spotting shading. I can't fathom why?
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

has anyone tested whether switching the ruleset in mid-campaign via the scenario result screen works?
Panzer Corps - Dossier Tool - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=39151
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x2bHqAwUGeaD93VpLbEgw
ulfwalther
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by ulfwalther »

Hi guys,

Sorry for this stupid question, but I get the htmlayout.dll missing when I try to install public beta 2. I suspect that I need to install the 1.21 public beta 1 first. But, could someone please gimmie complete pointers(is there such a thing?) on how to upgrade from 1.20 to 1.21 pb2? I don't understand if I need to copy and replace files between folders etc. And, I'm terrified that the base installation will be messed up. Last time I installed the DLC/AK in the wrong order, I had to wipe it all clean, e-mail for new tickets and reinstall it all in the correct order.

I am now up to Kursk, and, NO, I don't want to start all over again...,
regards,
Ulf.
Kamerer

Post by Kamerer »

I had this problem (htmlayout.dll). Copy the zip file to the panzer corps beta directory, where your existing panzercorps.exe is. Unzip it there and then no problem.

ON another note, I'm up to Spoils of War in GC 39 and no problems. But, I am baffled why I can't move my Gebirgsjager across an open hex and two hills - I had no problems up until now w/movement. Screencap below. I know being motorized inhibits movement in mountains, but I did not think it applied in hills.

Also, I'm maybe 100% up vs. where I normally am in prestige at this point (rommel, 2,400 in 1.21 vs. consistently 1000~1,200 at this point prior).

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”