Download the Panzer Corps 1.21 Public Beta

Open beta forum.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Re: Download the Panzer Corps 1.21 Public Beta

Post by Rudankort »

Kamerer wrote:Woa - the screen resolution is so much nicer now? What happened?

I downloaded the patch from the 10th (just saw that, missed it before). I started a '39 DLC and was amazed the graphics were much sharer. I chose the same 1680x1050 (default) as before. The game also moves much faster and smoother. The partial shading is finer, movement zone whites and also spotting shading. I can't fathom why?
I can't even imagine what happened here. :-/ All I can guess is, the game switched to a wrong resolution, but why it did so is an open question.
Kamerer wrote:ON another note, I'm up to Spoils of War in GC 39 and no problems. But, I am baffled why I can't move my Gebirgsjager across an open hex and two hills - I had no problems up until now w/movement. Screencap below. I know being motorized inhibits movement in mountains, but I did not think it applied in hills.
The rule of thumb here is, a unit cannot go where its transport cannot go. According to the movement table, wheeled units spend 4 movement points per hilly hex, which means they can go across two such hexes, but not if there is an extra hex to cross, as in the example below.

BTW, do you still have the problem with some rules not working in the GC?
Kamerer
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by Kamerer »

Rudankort wrote:
I can't even imagine what happened here. :-/ All I can guess is, the game switched to a wrong resolution, but why it did so is an open question.
Probably something w/my computer. The screen whited out a scenario later, I saved it and when I returned it was back to normal.

The rule of thumb here is, a unit cannot go where its transport cannot go. According to the movement table, wheeled units spend 4 movement points per hilly hex, which means they can go across two such hexes, but not if there is an extra hex to cross, as in the example below.
OK, that's why I was confused, I'm probably used to them having 251's, so can go three hilly hexes. Forgot about trucks.
BTW, do you still have the problem with some rules not working in the GC?
Seems to be working!

This was odd - a Pe-2 (upper center of screen) hit a Panzerjager, then just hung there two turns w/o moving despite needing to go to base and repair. I killed it after two turns but watched it just sit there:

Kamerer

Post by Kamerer »

I know it's too late for changes, but this doesn't seem quite right:

If i disband a 2-strength 38(t), I get 47 pp back. If I green replenish it for free, I get all 238 if I disband it. A little tricky for the unwary.
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

ulfwalther wrote:Hi guys,

Sorry for this stupid question, but I get the htmlayout.dll missing when I try to install public beta 2. I suspect that I need to install the 1.21 public beta 1 first. But, could someone please gimmie complete pointers(is there such a thing?) on how to upgrade from 1.20 to 1.21 pb2? I don't understand if I need to copy and replace files between folders etc. And, I'm terrified that the base installation will be messed up. Last time I installed the DLC/AK in the wrong order, I had to wipe it all clean, e-mail for new tickets and reinstall it all in the correct order.

I am now up to Kursk, and, NO, I don't want to start all over again...,
regards,
Ulf.
Hello ulfwalther, thats is not a stupid question, I'll try to explain. The beta installs separately from the original installation (in a 'Panzer Corps Beta' folder), but it will check for the original game, so that needs to be present as well. The 1.20 and 1.21beta savegames are not compatible, but they get saved in the same folder, so you better make a backup of your old savegames just to be sure.

OK, in my case, I just installed 1.21 beta1 and then later extracted the newer PanzerCorps.zip file into the 'Panzer Corps Beta' folder, which replaces the older PanzerCorps.exe, and it works for me. I didn't have to mess with the original installation in any way, and I can still start and play the original 1.20, although I can't load the 1.21beta savegames with 1.20.

About re-installing PanzerCorps in general, I save all my installer files separately as a backup. This has saved me a lot of time.

If you are afraid you have messed up the installation, you can try to re-patch it first with the latest patch (1.20 in this case), this can repair some broken installations. If you need to reinstall everything (which I did for this second beta), start with the base game, add the DLC's, install AK, then AC (Allied Corps). Allied Corps contains the 1.20 version of the game, so if this is installed last you won't have to patch it. If something goes wrong, just finish installing all additions and try to re-patch with 1.20, this will take care of a lot of problems.
Kamerer

Post by Kamerer »

More movement freezing: Playing Narvik and I went to pull my Gj unit out, and it was, ah, "stuck." Never seen anything like this before, except for that Pe-2 in Spoils. Below you can see I have selected the unit for movement, but there's no option to move it.

I played a few more turns, was never able to move it. It's lost for the scenario. I tried saving/reloading, exiting and restarting from the axis save, but it was fixed in place. I tried re-creating it by starting from the save deployment and making the same movement with it, but the error did not recur.

I sent a copy of the game one turn past this point to Rudankort.

Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak »

It seems to me like the unit you want to move got under the current terrain conditions only enough movement points to move into the field occupied by your tank. If you move your tank away it should be able to move.
Tarrak
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by Tarrak »

Another possible bug in 1.20 was found by Naturesheva and described here. It seems replays from multiplayer games are not working properly.
Kamerer

Post by Kamerer »

Tarrak wrote:It seems to me like the unit you want to move got under the current terrain conditions only enough movement points to move into the field occupied by your tank. If you move your tank away it should be able to move.
Negative, check my post. It stayed there more turns. I had an early game where an opponent unit did the same, apparently.
Kamerer

Is the entrenchment working correctly?

Post by Kamerer »

I thought it was working correctly in '39. But I still had an awfully easy game.

I'm in '40 now, and I should not see this, should I? The unit under attack is 5 entrenchment, and two artillery strikes has it -7 suppression, 2 effective strength. It should be at least -4 suppression/5 effective, correct?

ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

Hello Kamerer, the situation you had in Narvik looked familiar to me, and I just checked and was able to duplicate your screenshot with similar units. But the cause in my case was what Tarrak already mentioned: the unit has a truck, which means all movement is needed to move into the hex with the tank.

I'm not sure what happened to you in the turns after that, are you sure the hex was empty when it couldn't move? A savegame could be useful, if you have one?

I have only one additional explanation in case this happens again, but that is probably not the case here. But anyway, if you can't move into such a hex although it is empty, check the fuel status. The truck needs 16 fuel to move into a frozen forest hex, but the 'low fuel' warning triggers at 8 fuel. So while it appears inaccesible for no reason, and the truck has enough movement points, it might not have enough fuel to make it, without indication. Like I said, since it looks like you were in one of the first turns, I consider this very unlikely.

The Pe-2 hanging around during Spoils of War might be due to the orders it has. It can be triggered to attack by reaching a certain turn, but the status it has prior to that turn is 'hold position - active'. I'm not a scenario modder but I believe that means it should remain in its starting place, but is allowed to go after targets of opportunity within reach. Maybe it did just that, hitting your unit, and it ran out of valid targets after that (nothing in spotting range and/or unfavourable odds) and reverted back to 'hold position'. But I can't be sure, although I've seen other units sometimes act in similar ways.

As for the entrenchment values, if you want to know if it's working properly you can check the combat log, it lists the bonus the defending unit gets when attacked. Let's say a unit you are attacking has entrenchment 4.
If you attack it with a regular unit, it should get 100% defense bonus, so in the defense part of the log should be 'Entrenchment: +4'
If you attack it with artillery, the bonus is 200%, so the log should say 'Entrenchment: +8'.
Attacking infantry has a 50% bonus, so should read: 'Entrenchment: +2'.

I hope this helps. I don't have all the answers, but in case it happens again, you could try to make a savegame and attach it here, I'll have a look to see if I can find anything. BTW, thanks for posting all the things you come across, better safe than sorry.
Kamerer

Post by Kamerer »

a) Movement: I should have saved another screen next turn when I couldn't move the Gj at Narvik. No bid deal. If there's another explanation for the Pe-2 and it's not a chronic problem, no big deal.

b) Entrenchment: I checked the combat logs and it's giving the bonuses. I forgot they were weakened it later beta versions of 1.21 vs. the first one. Now that I have 15cm artillery and using my air to reduce entrenchment more (I am taking two more air units now vs. past tactical TOEs), I guess it is mooting the enhanced effect.

c) Prestige: I am up to Stonne, and starting the scenario I am at 4,200 vs 1,700 last time I played it. Both on Rommel, no real tactical difference. I am taking much less damage (I think because of the added attack value of experience now), but I think I'm getting bigger awards at the start of each scenario. I have not touched anything on the advanced screen, just set the level to Rommel. I am generally using elite reinforcements, but not always, and not overstrengthening my units this early on. Same strategy I have used for a while. So I should have maybe a little more pp, but ot 2.5 times as much.
Fedem

Post by Fedem »

Hi im trying to run the 1.21 beta that I downloaded when it first came out and now it says that that version has expired.

I have to download it again or what?

Thnks for the help and regards
ThvN
Panzer Corps Moderator
Panzer Corps Moderator

Post by ThvN »

Fedem wrote:Hi im trying to run the 1.21 beta that I downloaded when it first came out and now it says that that version has expired.

I have to download it again or what?

Thnks for the help and regards
Hello Fedem, if you have installed the original beta, you have to manually replace a file to get the latest version. Just download the zip from this post:

viewtopic.php?f=125&t=44177&start=80#p422685

and extract it to the 'Panzer Corps Beta' folder, it will replace the previous PanzerCorps.exe file and you should be able to play again.
KeldorKatarn
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by KeldorKatarn »

One thing I wanted to mention btw... what about that problem with the Allied Units having no transports flag in the equipment file? I mentioned this a while ago when I noticed my Dossier Tool is unable to parse which land transports a unit is able to use. Will that be corrected maybe? or was that already changed in 1.21?
Panzer Corps - Dossier Tool - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=39151
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x2bHqAwUGeaD93VpLbEgw
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Kamerer wrote:More movement freezing: Playing Narvik and I went to pull my Gj unit out, and it was, ah, "stuck." Never seen anything like this before, except for that Pe-2 in Spoils. Below you can see I have selected the unit for movement, but there's no option to move it.

I played a few more turns, was never able to move it. It's lost for the scenario. I tried saving/reloading, exiting and restarting from the axis save, but it was fixed in place. I tried re-creating it by starting from the save deployment and making the same movement with it, but the error did not recur.

I sent a copy of the game one turn past this point to Rudankort.

Somehow I've missed this save when it originally arrived, sorry. But I checked it now, and when I moved the tank at (23,6) away, I was able to move the GJ unit to its place. So it looks like everything is working as expected?
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

KeldorKatarn wrote:One thing I wanted to mention btw... what about that problem with the Allied Units having no transports flag in the equipment file? I mentioned this a while ago when I noticed my Dossier Tool is unable to parse which land transports a unit is able to use. Will that be corrected maybe? or was that already changed in 1.21?
The situation with transport configuration is this. When Panzer Corps was released originally, transport columns in the equipment file did not exist. The game used hard-coded rules to determine which transports could be used with which units. Later (in Afrika), the columns were added, but the old mechanics remained too, as a default case when transport properties are not specified in the equipment file. This was done not only for backwards compatibility with old content and mods, but also as a quick and easy way to implement default behavior when no advanced rules were required. Allies do not have gliders, so for them default transport rules are mostly fine.

Default rules work as follows.

- There are 4 default transport types: "land", "sea", "air" and "rail"

- By default these types are assigned to respective transport classes: land transport, sea transport, air transport and rail transport

- Units can use the following transports:
-- any units with movement type leg, towed, alpine and bridge can use land transports
-- all ground units can use sea transports
-- all infantry units can use air transports
-- all ground units can use rail transports
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Hello All!

A quick update on the patch. Slitherine are now migrating to some new technology used in their installers, and it is giving them some trouble, so they have not yet build the release version of 1.21 patch. They hope to finish the installer "really soon" now. There is nothing me or anybody else in Panzer Corps team can do about this, but still we all feel really bad about it. I've built another beta EXE which is valid for one more month, so that you guys can continue playing the beta while we are waiting for the release. New EXE is attached. It does not change anything compared to the previous one (beta2), but only has an extended beta period (till 1st of November). Once again sorry for inconvenience!

Alex
Attachments
PanzerCorps.zip
1.21 beta3
(563.02 KiB) Downloaded 534 times
KeldorKatarn

Post by KeldorKatarn »

No worries Rudankort, and thanks very much for these default rules. I shall implement them in my tool and release a new version of it once the new patch is out :)

Btw... I've left so many communities because the devs messed up and were never apologetic at all, didn't even admit there was ever any problem. So to me, yes this was kind of a test of our patience, but you guys always came in here, told us that there was something going on and nearly always said sorry. And to me... any dev that actually has the word 'sorry' in his vocabulary is a dev that I'm happily sticking with :)
Panzer Corps - Dossier Tool - http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=39151
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7x2bHqAwUGeaD93VpLbEgw
Delta66
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Delta66 »

@ Rudankort,
Thanks for the update, and support.
zappel
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by zappel »

Rudankort wrote:Hello All!

A quick update on the patch. Slitherine are now migrating to some new technology used in their installers, and it is giving them some trouble, so they have not yet build the release version of 1.21 patch. They hope to finish the installer "really soon" now. There is nothing me or anybody else in Panzer Corps team can do about this, but still we all feel really bad about it. I've built another beta EXE which is valid for one more month, so that you guys can continue playing the beta while we are waiting for the release. New EXE is attached. It does not change anything compared to the previous one (beta2), but only has an extended beta period (till 1st of November). Once again sorry for inconvenience!

Alex
Thanks for this information: I didn't knew the installer is the problem. So the version is build and can't be released because the installer won't work: silly situation.

Return to “Panzer Corps Open Beta”